Looking for different metalcore bands.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalManiac3021 wrote:
Lickgoldensky

Oh, yes.

How about Throwdown? They're not so much with the clean vocals, but they're worth a look...

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
FlyingMonkeysWii  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you define as "Metalcore"?

Some of my favorite bands that I consider to be Metalcore would be August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, The Devil Wears Prada, and Unearth.

If you like Metal and don't mind growling vocals too much you might want to check out bands like Nercophagist, Nile, and Carpathian Forest.

Xcalibr  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyingMonkeysWii wrote:
What do you define as "Metalcore"?

Some of my favorite bands that I consider to be Metalcore would be August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, The Devil Wears Prada, and Unearth.

Yep, I listen to all those too. Diecast is another one no one has listed yet that I think is pretty good. I'll give the other ones you listed a listen to.
NixxiN  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woozerkristen wrote:
NixxiN wrote:

Norm wrote:
I don't listen to metalcore much, but when I do, I know who to listen to: (list of below average 'meh' bands)

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis."

are exactly what you are NOT supposed to be doing in this forum. That's moving from stating opinion to basically attacking a person's musical knowledge/taste, and that is not acceptable. Please choose your words more carefully if you are going to post in these types of threads so that the music forum can have a long and happy life. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you meant to quote the first part of my post here, since that was the part that would be considered insulting. The part you did quote, however, has nothing more insulting than what Norm posted himself. He claimed that everyone prior to him posting only suggested 'meh' bands and then listed more bands that really don't top what was already posted, so I did the same and correctly quoted the beer commercial Norm was quoting. If I'm in the wrong then he's in the wrong as well.

Fugitive: I can't stress enough how little I care if you ever change your mind about Converge. The point I'm trying to get across is that just because you don't like Converge doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't.

Oh, and just a heads up, not liking Converge =/= musically inclined. I'll need to see some credentials before I believe this kid's inclined in any way. (sarcastic smiley face)

Norm wrote:
I guess all the people who knew anything about Metal got left behind in the last Metal Thread...
dabears116  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
NixxiN wrote:
Converge

For the love of God don't touch Converge. I saw them in concert with Mastodon and Dethklok. Worst thing I've seen live (minus That One Guy). I looked up their music afterward and it's horrid. The vocals are awful, he's literally coughing into the mic in short bursts. It's not talented screaming by any means. The instruments are hardly worthwhile either. Their riffs are simple and repetitive. There's nothing redeeming about this band.
I agree with your first sentence, the OP would hate Converge.

I don't know much (real) metalcore, but Integrity is a great band to start with. Not that the OP would like any metalcore though, he should honestly stick with the melodic metalcore/post-hardcore crossover bands.

MetalManiac3021 wrote:
You might want to give some of these bands a listen:

Botch
Catharsis
Cursed
Deadguy
Integrity
Lickgoldensky
Living Sacrifice
Silent Civilian
Starkweather
Timebomb

If you want some album recommendations, let me know.
Beat me to it, and actually more of a recommendation for me than the OP, because I really liked Integrity.

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NixxiN wrote:
Fugitive: I can't stress enough how little I care if you ever change your mind about Converge. The point I'm trying to get across is that just because you don't like Converge doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't.

I can't stress enough how I never said you cared about changing my mind, I merely listed the people in the thread like liked Converge. I realize people like bands I don't like, why do people think that I can't understand that. My post was my opinion, I'm not telling you that you can't like Converge.

NixxiN wrote:
Oh, and just a heads up, not liking Converge =/= musically inclined. I'll need to see some credentials before I believe this kid's inclined in any way. (sarcastic smiley face)

Second, I never said that not liking Converge made him musically inclined. I didn't list that as a qualification. I just put the chat between us to illustrate my initial feelings toward the album and mentioned that he was musically inclined. He's just as musically knowledgeable as anyone here and since you're really concerned about his qualifications: He frequents pitchfork and has introduced me to countless bands that I now love.

Anyway, I'm going to stop derailing this thread now.
NixxiN  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NixxiN wrote:
(sarcastic smiley face)

Thanks for the hostility.

Norm wrote:
I guess all the people who knew anything about Metal got left behind in the last Metal Thread...
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
He's just as musically knowledgeable as anyone here and since you're really concerned about his qualifications: He frequents pitchfork and has introduced me to countless bands that I now love.

He isn't any more inclined than anyone else just because he visits some indie website. If we follow that logic we could agree that anyone that visits the Metal Archives is a pure genius on the subject of Metal.

As for him being as knowledgeable as anyone here. That may very well be so, but I believe in tiers of comprehension (I see it everywhere). Anything above your comprehension level you won't be able to comprehend. There won't be a difference between something a few steps away as opposed to miles. So comparing him to someone such as NixxiN might be a BIG gap. Him generalizing Converge to screams and "all around bad" makes me doubt his "music knowledge." Either he never truly gave Converge a try, or he isn't ready for it yet. If he was either of those he'd have something more to say or he would acknowledge that it just wasn't for him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NixxiN wrote:
NixxiN wrote:
(sarcastic smiley face)

Thanks for the hostility.

Just returning the favor. That's like saying "no offense" before telling someone something offensive.

@GinF - I wasn't trying to turn it into a big debate. I just said it was a musically inclined friend. He happens to not like Converge. He doesn't have to specifically state that that's his opinion as it's coming from him, it's assumed it's his opinion when he says it. He's musically knowledgeable, that's all that really needs to be know. I just mentioned it to point out he wasn't some random Joe that listens to the local pop station and doesn't branch out.

Seriously guys, I'm willing to just drop it now. I said I didn't want to derail the thread further and I still get two responses challenging my post.

Edit: If you still want to debate my friend's knowledge, or Converge or something, just PM me.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I'm struggling with here - not specifically aimed at anyone, but a general thing: what does musical knowledge have to do with enjoyment of music? Really not being snarky or anything, I'm just curious to know what people think.

Despite the fact that I love all sorts of music from any genre you care to name, I freely admit that I know nothing about music theory. Does that somehow make my enjoyment any less valid? Does it make it more valid, because the enjoyment is pure and not based on any restrictive view of what's right or wrong? Does it make any difference at all? Is it alright to like something just because you like it and not be able to explain why, or is it always necessary to have solid theoretical reasons for why you like or dislike something?

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
dabears116  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not talking about music theory (I think), we are talking about music knowledge as in knowing a lot and a large scope of music types. For the most part that means higher credentials, although there is no reason to offend people on a lower level.

Also, don't expect them to like the music you like either, unless you are sure they have a similar taste as you in a genre, it is pointless to tell someone who thinks In Flames is the best death metal band ever a bunch of old school death metal bands (outside of showing them what death metal actually is).

It can be hypocritical too, for sometimes the music you hate could be above you (maybe Merzbow's above my head?).

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
Xcalibr  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that anyone with an opinion, whether it have a simple or theoretical reasoning behind it, should be looked at the same. If that's how they look at the band, then that's how they look at it. You don't have to say that someone saying something simple isn't as reasonable enough to listen to as someone saying something more detailed. If they don't like it, they don't like, any reason they give should be valid enough.

Anyways, I didn't get to listen to any other bands listed yet, but I listened to a couple BTBAM album's, Colors was an absolute treat for the senses.
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabears116 wrote:
It can be hypocritical too, for sometimes the music you hate could be above you (maybe Merzbow's above my head?).

Well, I'm not exactly sure how music could be "above" someone. :/

thecaptianof: Just FYI in case you were unaware, music theory doesn't define rights and wrongs in music. That's a pretty common misconception. It's the language of composition and that's it. You use it to describe what's happening in music, and to analyze it so you can replicate certain things. Unfortunately there's this group of theory-elitists who prefer music that's theoretically complicated. They don't seem to realize that more theoretical knowledge goes into writing a Hannah Montana song than does the music they listen to. Just another case of "my music tastes are better than everone else's".
clawlolnub  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several bands i know of to be metal:

A Day to Remember:
Great band, not sure if they're really to be considered metal, but they're good enough. They have some great songs.

Underoath:
Not really my type, just can't get a rhythm. They would be a good bands, seeing as what you choose to be metal.

Escape the Fate:
Such an epic band, need to be recognized. More on the punk side, but still metal. Great to listen to when ever, they have the best variety.

CHILDREN OF BODOM: My favorite band, they are so epic and great. I don't know if they're too hardcore, check then out they're great. They're songs are very... different. But different is good

ALL THAT REMAINS: GREAT band. Interesting songs. If i had to suggest a song to you from them, i would say Two Weeks or Tatters on my sleeves. I can't get over this band Xd

August Burns Red: Great band, Can't say much more. Listen this song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qtk9c6ZGcM
thefunneverends  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just naming some bands that I've found in my music collection:

The Number Twelve Looks Like You (I'd listen to Nuclear Sad Nuclear first, my favorite album but their newer ones are really good)

Fear Before The March of Flames
From Autumn To Ashes

and not extactly metalcore but has screaming:

Destroy The Runner
As Cities Burn (get Son, I Love You at Your Darkest since it actually has screaming, their newer albums have no screaming unfortunately)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: