ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Looking for different metalcore bands.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabears116  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
Well, I'm not exactly sure how music could be "above" someone. :/
Maybe I'm wrong, but here's how I see it: Music I was into when I was 8 years old and knew only radio music, music I now dislike after giving it a respectable chance, and a collective of other opinions with respectable music knowledge also dislike is what I consider myself to be "above".

As for an example of music being "above" others: consider the people who hate genres and artists such as The Beatles, Miles Davis, metal, post-punk, baroque music, jazz, and delta blues, while either having very little or poor exposure to it or having an opinion "in bad taste" (i.e they are a Jonas Brothers fangirl).

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider the music the be "above" someone if they don't understand what's going on.

If I showed an average Joe a sample of a Technical Deathmetal song, or a sample of a Jungle Drum n Bass, they would probably just consider it "noise." How many times have you heard this? I bet you've come across it at least once.

@OP: Do you have any interest in working backwards towards the roots? Or do you just want Metalcore?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well technically all music is noise.

eddaket  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clawlolnub wrote:
There are several bands i know of to be metal:

A Day to Remember:
Great band, not sure if they're really to be considered metal, but they're good enough. They have some great songs.

Underoath:
Not really my type, just can't get a rhythm. They would be a good bands, seeing as what you choose to be metal.

Escape the Fate:
Such an epic band, need to be recognized. More on the punk side, but still metal. Great to listen to when ever, they have the best variety.

CHILDREN OF BODOM: My favorite band, they are so epic and great. I don't know if they're too hardcore, check then out they're great. They're songs are very... different. But different is good

ALL THAT REMAINS: GREAT band. Interesting songs. If i had to suggest a song to you from them, i would say Two Weeks or Tatters on my sleeves. I can't get over this band Xd

August Burns Red: Great band, Can't say much more. Listen this song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qtk9c6ZGcM

I love all those bands, but I don't think the OP will like ADTR or EtF.

A Day to Remember isn't all that metal. Their older stuff is definitely heavier than their new stuff, but I don't think it can be classified as metal.

Escape the Fate isn't all that metal either. Their old stuff is closer than their new stuff (their new album I think could be classified as a punk album) and the OP might like that, but I would advise him NOT to listen to "This War Is Ours"
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:

Not in a degrading sense.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
ganondorf901 wrote:

Ya of course. I always get pissed when people regard any genre of music as "noise" because they simply dont understand it. Just pisses me off.
eyewin8  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ganondorf901 wrote:
GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
ganondorf901 wrote:

Ya of course. I always get pissed when people regard any genre of music as "noise" because they simply dont understand it. Just pisses me off.

What about noisecore?

Shvereal proved me wrong by FCing SWTA 1a and 2d without elbow strums. He is the motherfucking shit.
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are acting like there is some higher form of music listening that others haven't reached. It's not that they don't "understand" it, they just don't like it.
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
You guys are acting like there is some higher form of music listening that others haven't reached. It's not that they don't "understand" it, they just don't like it.

Id say theres a difference. Some people could not like pop rock, but for genres of music like tech death alot of poeple act like its seriously random thrashing and gibberish growls, also anything people consider to have no musical structure. Thats just not being able to "understand", for the lack of a better word, that genre. And Im not saying every1 who doesnt like tech death understands it, just the ones who think its "noise"

Last edited by ganondorf901 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
dabears116  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
They don't like it because they don't understand it. Think pragmatically. I cannot put it in terms of an explicit definition, but I can give an example. Some who loves Lil Wayne and hates jazz, blues, heavy metal, blues rock, extreme metal, psychedelic rock, post-punk, hardcore punk, punk, indie, noise, etc. They don't like it, it's their opinion; that's not what I was talking about though. I was talking about the validity of an opinion. The aforementioned person likely has poor exposure to music. That is what I would call a poor opinion. I cannot be objective, and sure my statement was only coming from my view, but my reasoning for my alleged feeling of superiority over "poor" opinions is because of two reasons: I have more exposure to music, and I was previously in a similar state of mind when younger.

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you picture it like a court of law, you can't pass judgment on the defendant being guilty or not guilty until you are fully informed.

Good analogy in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabears116 wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
They don't like it because they don't understand it. Think pragmatically. I cannot put it in terms of an explicit definition, but I can give an example. Some who loves Lil Wayne and hates jazz, blues, heavy metal, blues rock, extreme metal, psychedelic rock, post-punk, hardcore punk, punk, indie, noise, etc. They don't like it, it's their opinion; that's not what I was talking about though. I was talking about the validity of an opinion. The aforementioned person likely has poor exposure to music. That is what I would call a poor opinion. I cannot be objective, and sure my statement was only coming from my view, but my reasoning for my alleged feeling of superiority over "poor" opinions is because of two reasons: I have more exposure to music, and I was previously in a similar state of mind when younger.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like you're trying to say that people will automatically like something if they understand it...

Taking myself as an example. I listen to a wide variety of music from all genres and eras, so by your definition I probably have good exposure to music. Now, look at Dream Theater, for example. I understand what they're doing, it's similar in lots of subtle ways to other stuff that I listen to... but I just don't like them.

It's possible to understand something and still dislike it.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think it's a little pretentious say that you understand music that other people don't. You can learn to like something -- that's called exposure. Almost all of our musical tastes were developed through exposure. But to say that someone who doesn't have a taste for something doesn't understand it is demeaning.
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm reading dabears right, I would have to disagree with him.

My court of law analogy works perfectly for the point I was trying to make.
I rest my case. (HAHAHAHAHA)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
If I'm reading dabears right, I would have to disagree with him.

My court of law analogy works perfectly for the point I was trying to make.
I rest my case. (HAHAHAHAHA)

Well, the analogy fits, seemingly, until you realize that you can't compare someone's guilt or innocence to the enjoyment of a song.

Music is not something that has to be understood to be enjoyed, therefore it doesn't have to be understood to be disliked. Catch my drift?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: