Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The RUSH Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nflnba88  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: The RUSH Thread Reply with quote

I've been a huge Rush fan for probably three years now, and I can't get enough of them to be honest.

There's so much to discuss about them, between Peart's incredible lyrics and exceptional drumming, to Geddy's voice and ridiculous bass work, to Alex's incredibly underrated guitar playing. I was hoping some Rush fans (die-hard or not) here on SH would like to talk about anything related to them.

To start off, here's a ranking of their albums from my personal favorite to least favorite. I'm going to exclude Feedback since it's not their original music.

1. Moving Pictures
2. Grace Under Pressure
3. Snakes & Arrows
4. Permanent Waves
5. Power Windows
-----
6. Signals
7. 2112
8. A Farewell to Kings
9. Hold Your Fire
10. Hemispheres
-----
11. Presto
12. Roll the Bones
13. Rush
14. Counterparts
15. Vapor Trails
-----
16. Fly By Night
17. Caress of Steel
18. Test for Echo

Tell me what you guys think! As you can tell, I strongly prefer their mid-80's stuff over their very early stuff. That's just me. Also, I'm not gonna lie, I've only heard some of Vapor Trails and Test for Echo.

I feel like there's so much more that can be said about the band than just ranking their albums, but this is a start .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same boat as you, pal. Been a huge Rush fan since my parents (yes, my parents) introduced them to me. I agree that Moving Pictures is their best album, because honestly, it culminates their entire rock/prog style and they tuned it to perfection on that album.

I won't list my best to least album here, but I will say that some underrated albums that need to be played more: Roll the Bones, Power Windows, and Vapor Trails are three that stand out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
FlawedByDesign  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rush, especially Geddy Lee, have been such an inspiration to me. I have to agree, too, that Moving Pictures was definitely their best album, but I'd say Permanent Waves was just as good and to me feels like a natural continuation of Moving Pictures. For my number 3 spot in the album ranking I'd have to say Snakes and Arrows or Grace Under Pressure, closely followed by Counterparts.
They are one of my favorites, if not my number one, for a couple of reasons: their unparalleled musical virtuosity and flexibility, and their lyrics always mean something. Personally those are the two things I value most in rock music. Not to mention how incredibly prolific they've been with writing and putting out music -- and none of it seems like "filler."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: The RUSH Thread Reply with quote

nflnba88 wrote:
Peart's incredible drumming and exceptional lyrics
fix'd

Anyway, great band, Moving Pictures is my favorite album, as it's the only full one I've heard, but Working Man is my favorite song. (by the band)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ive been a Rush fan for about a year, and i only have 1 album "Moving Pictures" (Somebody tell me and good album to get).

Anyway at school all the teachers think im the coolest kid because i like Rush because all the other guys like rap(i can't stand rap).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 286406839581
AGwaG  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the 2-disc Rush "Chronicles" which is a collection, sortof like greatest hits but not all the songs were necessarily hits, its just a selection of a few iconic songs from each album. I don't own any actual albums, just this guy, and I'm just sortof getting into Rush, but I love them anyways.

I don't think Lifeson's guitar playing is "underrated" really, he's a fantastic player and he's renowned for it, in other words, he's 'rated' quite highly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackmav41 wrote:
Well ive been a Rush fan for about a year, and i only have 1 album "Moving Pictures" (Somebody tell me and good album to get).

Anyway at school all the teachers think im the coolest kid because i like Rush because all the other guys like rap(i can't stand rap).

If you like Moving Pictures, I'd suggest Permanent Waves. "Spirit of Radio" ftw

That seems to be a pretty common response that I get from older adults (I'm 20 :p) who find out that I like Rush. Also, a couple of my friends were lucky enough to see them live and were commended all night by older fans who were impressed that they had even heard of Rush.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGwaG wrote:
I don't think Lifeson's guitar playing is "underrated" really, he's a fantastic player and he's renowned for it, in other words, he's 'rated' quite highly.

I just think that he's overshadowed by Geddy and Neil sometimes; they are both known as one of the, if not the best at bass and drums respectively, and Alex isn't at the top of most 'top guitarist' lists.

FlawedByDesign wrote:
and their lyrics always mean something.

The lyrics are definitely what keeps me coming back to Rush, always wanting to hear another song. The music is always pleasing to the ears, and their instrumentals are fucking amazing (La Villa Straingiato, YYZ, Malignant Narcissism...), but I think the lyrics really put Rush in their own category of awesomeness. Personally, Power Windows is my favorite album lyrically.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of rush and heard one or two of there songs "Spirit of radio"
But have been to intimidated to download one of there albums because I wouldn't know what is ones of there better ones. I am getting the idea that Moving Pictures is a good one so I am getting that one to start me off thank you everyone

Last edited by JimmyHero33 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
OCEAT  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a fan since way back when when my Dad would play Rush in Rio in the car going everywhere. I'd hear The Trees and think Geddy was- being completely serious here- an ottsel, a la Daxter from the Jak and Daxter series of games. Otherwise known as:

Now of course I know better, and learn Rush songs whenever I can on guitar. I have TABs for the entirety of 2112 (Soundtrack to my 8th grade year), Finding My Way, Freewill, Passage to Bangkok, and perhaps some others I can't remember right now. I figured out the verses to Fly By Night and Working Man by myself, and tap the intro to Spirit of the Radio instead of playing like Alex does. It's frakkin' hard that way!
I saw them live 2 years ago on the Snakes and Arrows tour, and it was just Awesome. They had the South Park Tom Sawyer intro, LASERS for YYZ, pyrotechnics... the live album is almost as good.
Yes, I'm stil awaiting more DLC from Rush, even though they have ~10 tracks in RB already.

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens
MrOmyA  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nflnba88 wrote:
I just think that he's overshadowed by Geddy and Neil sometimes; they are both known as one of the, if not the best at bass and drums respectively, and Alex isn't at the top of most 'top guitarist' lists.
I'm gonna have to agree with this. Especially when some people keep on calling Peart the greatest drummer alive.
nflnba88  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOmyA wrote:
Especially when some people keep on calling Peart the greatest drummer alive.

I'm gonna have to agree with this

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received Rush's "Working Men" live DVD in my stocking . It just came out apparently. I haven't been able to watch it on my comp yet due to a broken drive, but the track list is as follows:

1. Limelight (Snakes & Arrows Live, 2008)
2. The Spirit of Radio (R30, 2005)
3. 2112 (Rush in Rio, 2003)
4. Freewill (Snakes & Arrows Live, 2008)
5. Dreamline (R30, 2005)
6. Far Cry (Snakes & Arrows Live, 2008)
7. Subdivisions (R30, 2005)
8. One Little Victory [Previously unreleased] (R30, 2005)
9. Closer to the Heart (Rush in Rio, 2003)
10. Tom Sawyer (Snakes & Arrows Live, 2008)
11. Working Man (R30, 2005)
12. YYZ (Rush in Rio, 2003)

It's a "Best of" compilation from this decade's live DVDs of course.

I also saw them live at the Snakes & Arrows tour in 2008 at PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ. I missed a guitar hero tournament because of it, but it was definitely well worth it. Truly a memorable experience. I only wish they would go on tour at least one more time, but it seems they'll be around for a long time now, since they all seem to be doing well and healthy, along with some of the other older prog musicians who are still touring (Phil Collins, Yes). Also, Alex Lifeson said in an interview that he would love to keep touring until he is physically unable to.

EDIT: After playing it in my Xbox, I realized that it is a CD. Although the titles were very misleading.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

Last edited by RustyWaffle on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
lazor  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a different boat than most of you. I asked for a Rush album for Christmas when I started getting interested in them, and was told that I was forbidden from listening to them for religious reasons(apparently a star=a pentagram). Of course now I guess they've just given up on that since they know I listen to them quite frequently.

Anyways, 2112 is quite possibly my favorite song of all time. It's basically just perfection in my ears.
tweekedkenny  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazor wrote:
I'm in a different boat than most of you. I asked for a Rush album for Christmas when I started getting interested in them, and was told that I was forbidden from listening to them for religious reasons(apparently a star=a pentagram). Of course now I guess they've just given up on that since they know I listen to them quite frequently.

Anyways, 2112 is quite possibly my favorite song of all time. It's basically just perfection in my ears.

Let them know its not a pentagram, its actually a part of the concept of the album, and I think it also symbolizes communism, or at least the idea of a government controlled life.

Anyways my dad got me into Rush, and I've seen them twice. Amazing, 4 hour shows <3

My Stream Status
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: