Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Music in games
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninmi  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Music in games Reply with quote

I thought I'd make a thread discussing music in video games, since in my opinion, video games sometimes have excellent soundtracks overlooked by everyone except the fans of the games. My personal favourites are the main theme from Duke Nukem 3D, along with with vertexguys cover of the song :P. Then there is the theme for the Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. A bit too short, but sounds big and fantastic, basicly everything that Jeremy Soule composes seems to be awesome. Other ones worth mentioning are the OSTs from Command & Conquer, C&C: Red Alert and Half Life. I'll add more if remember more, but in the meantime, discuss your favourites :P.

EDIT: And please put in some YouTube links or something so we can listen to them quicker :P.

Last edited by Ninmi on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkPress  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock 'n Roll Racing is awesome.
Brutal Legend, also.
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Theft Auto Vice City. What an amazing fucking soundtrack

Ocarina of time had a great soundtrack too. Same with Donkey Kong, I listen to aquatic Ambience, almost every night before I go to bed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D65TT5Ieb4M
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
Blehgopie  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I listed even a fraction of all the games with kickass music in them, then I would probably be here for days...

Video game music was pretty much the only type of music I listened to other than The Beatles for a large portion of my life. It was actually Guitar Hero that broke that habit.

I'll just list one of my favorite game soundtracks that isn't crazy obvious in an attempt to actually contribute to the thread...so: Super Turrican. One of the best soundtracks in a game ever.

FL4RE  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the final fantasy games had some fantastic songs on them.

Probably the best game overall is FF8 because there was probably about 1-2 songs in that entire game i wasn't too fond of and thats it. However FF10 had some gems as well.

Favourite game music song would have to be the final final boss music in FF8 (also known as the extreme)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrono Trigger (SNES, PS1, NDS) and Chrono Cross (PS1) had really amazing soundtracks. I still have every song from both games on my PC, and in my playlist. You should listen to some of the songs on Youtube, they're quite awesome.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Wii Friend Code: 438237975587
Ninmi  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobainage1994 wrote:
Grand Theft Auto Vice City

DarkPress wrote:
Brutal Legend

I was more talking about original soundtracks, the songs wich are made spesifically for the games. I'd personally like to hear more about those, instead of compilations of mainstream songs wich most people have already heard of.

And also as a personal request if people would always put in some youtube links or something similar, so I and others can have a listen :P.

EDIT: Forgot the OST from the NES game Batman, the first level is awesome :P. One of the first games I played. EDIT2: Also level 4.
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The World Ends With You's OST. One of the only OSTs I listen to regularly as its own music.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video game music is actually something I've been getting into as of late, so this thread goes perfectly with that!

Blinx the Time Sweeper for XBOX had an amazing soundtrack, IMO.
Esepecially this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUCx1QD3BDU

Every time I hear that song, it takes me back to when I first played the game, as it was one of my favorite games of all time.

The Halo soundtracks were also pretty awesome as well. The Halo 2 album (Volume 1, and also where I took this random fav song off) is my favorite album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLS5NShCwzA&feature=PlayList&p=F1CC3DF566AAAA70&index=20

LoZ music is also amazing in the fact that every single game has incredible music. Granted, some of it is repeated throughout the games, but there's always some new tunes in each game (I'm pretty sure.) I was already humming a Spirit Tracks tune less than an hour after I played it lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SilvaGunner#g/c/58C2E31BBA1A72E4

link to (I think) every WW song (out of the LoZ soundtracks, I think WW is my fav soundtrack. I also couldn't decide which WW was my fav lol).

Oh yeah, the user for the WW link (SilvaGunner) also has a bunch of other video game music playlists as well, in case anyone's interested.

Enjoy!

Ninmi  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zlinkneoXZ15 wrote:
The Halo soundtracks were also pretty awesome as well. The Halo 2 album (Volume 1, and also where I took this random fav song off) is my favorite album.

Ah, I can't believe I forgot Halo, the main theme on the first Halo is incredible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdxUYKlQQY

And I also want to mention Sonic 1 and 2, used let the games on just to hear the music.
GuardianDemon  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with Sonic 1 & 2 ( Hell, all the Sonic games ost's were awesome tight up until Sonic06) are brilliant. I even have them on my mp3 player !!!!

Oh, Tales Of Symphonia !! They soundtrack was BEAU-TI-FUL !!! Always the right sound for the right moment

And, well..... you guys can think of what games im thinking of now COUGHGHCOUGH !!!
dogtownzboy1  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gunna have to say the Max Payne series has the most epic music ever haha

http://www.last.fm/user/shad0wz69
Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

Haven't been on ScoreHero in 3 years. 4chan ruined my life.
clawmaster2  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you enjoy a little ambiance, Mirror's Edge & Orange Box soundtracks are for you. Looooove, Mirror's Edge soundtrack, it's quite amazing.
DanSoup  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The theme from Dire Dire docks from Super Mario 64 is a really peaceful and elegant song.
CLICK

Another good one is the closing theme from from Mario 64, really epic closing to the game, especialy when you're drunk.
CLICK

DooM had some pretty gnarly music, but most of that was ripped off from metal songs as this guide shows us.
CLICK

Some say he came back just to fix the "5-Note Chord" banner in his sig...
[23:01] <DanSoup> Did you know, girls masturbate as often as men
[23:01] <DanSoup> they just lie about it normaly
[23:01] <SillyScape> no-one mastrubates as much as me
EmoArbiter  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty on the Run Theme. Best 8-bit guitar solo ever

Or perhaps my favorite boss theme: 02 from Kirby 64

My accomplishments|Season 11 GHM Division 2 Winner
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Emo Arbiter Wii Friend Code: 2162307103708276
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: