Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Post-rock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twang  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Post-rock Reply with quote

It's a genre I've always felt I should get in to but never really did.

So far all I've really listened to have been...

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone
Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind

Yeah, that's all. I liked them both.

I've also heard like half of Godspeed You! Black Emperor song, but wasn't really feeling it/got impatient. I might check it out again some time, though.

So: recommendations and general discussion. Get to it. Post-metal also welcome.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Will Destroy You and The Album Leaf are my personal favorites.
banjokazooie  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For post-metal, definitely check out Pelican.

Progress: 20/42, Last: Love Bites (So Do I) (9th ever FC cross-platform!)

Best FCs-
FCPREMIX, TtL CoD, CoP, NotB (GH3), RtL, Wasted Years, Peace Sells (RB)
dabears116  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post-rock needs subgenres, it's getting too big.

Slint (post-hardcore leaning)
Rodan (post-hardcore leaning)
June of 44 (post-hardcore leaning)
Unwound (post-hardcore leaning)
Mogwai
Talk Talk *later*
Cats and Cats and Cats (math rock)
65daysofstatic (math rock)
God Is An Astronaut
Sigur Ros (ambient)
Explosions in the Sky (ambient)
Caspian
Pelican (post-metal)
Isis (post-metal)
Neursos (post-metal)
Cult of Luna (post-metal)
Baroness (post-metal)

I'll give the link to the post-rock thread on RockBand.com which has a ton more recommendations as soon as the site gets back up and running.[/list]

Some guy at my old school once wore a merzbow shirt to class so we all threw stones at him and kicked him in the head until he died lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DaBears116
Twang  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you fellas, I'll definitely try to check all of them out.

Remember, this thread can be for general discussion, too. Not just rec's for me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the best post rock band might just be Mogwai. Not all of their stuff is post rock however, but they seem to get the label often enough (and most times it is fitting).

Explosions in the Sky is also a big one that comes to mind. Solid stuff.

Appleseed Cast... Some of their more recent works aren't really post rock.. But if you dig back you'll find some of the most intricate guitar work from the "post rock" genre
Check out some of my guides:
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I try to make electronic music: Http://www.myspace.com/soundteq
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GY!BE definitely require a bit of patience, sometimes they're a bit rambling but it's well worth sticking with. On the subject of them, it might be worth checking out their sister band (currently called Thee Silver Mt. Zion, but it seems to change every few weeks). It's roughly the same people as GY!BE but the songs are shorter and more coherent.

If you want more from Explosions In The Sky (which I'd highly recommend, one of my favourite bands etc), there's a free album on their site - click on 'The Rescue' and it comes up in a new window with info and mp3 links. And if you get the chance to see them live, it's something you really shouldn't miss... just don't expect a lot of interaction with the audience. Sorta goes for most bands in the genre, really.

Mono - my favourite album from them, and one of my favourite albums overall, is You Are There. It's a bit different to the one you heard - the orchestra is a new thing for Hymn To The Immortal Wind, all other albums just had a string quartet - but it's well worth a listen. Incidentally, I've just been to their site and found they're playing London again in March, yay. Seen them twice before and... well fuck, both times there were moments when it felt like the venue was about to collapse. When they get going, they're capable of taking down walls with sheer noise.

But yeah, I'm pretty much just gonna second every recommendation so far. Oh, actually, I don't think anyone mentioned Kinski or Red Sparowes... yeah, they're worth a look too.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Macaron11  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three albums that have been stuck on loop for the past week for me. I'm in love with Post-Rock. I downloaded some Explosions in the Sky, but got the wrong format twice. Where should I start?
InflatablePie  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace Cathedral Park

Last.fm page on them is here.

They're awesome. @_@
PiemanLK wrote:
Eastwinn wrote:
Right, but if you had the chocolate bar in your heart all along, no one would need to work. Did consider that?

If you have a chocolate bar in your heart I suggest seeking medical attention.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: UmbraPie Wii Friend Code: 0518680564637417
Boomsars  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many others have mentioned, go for Pelican, Isis, and Cult of Luna for some post-metal. I honestly hate the name post-(anything) for any genre but I don't really know how else to describe them.

Another Explosions in the Sky type band is Red Sparowes, who just do long instrumentals that are very good for background or ambient noise.

Edit: I wouldn't really consider Baroness post-(anything) but they are pretty good otherwise. Still suggest checking them out. Also Neurosis is a big name in post-metal, but I haven't gotten into them yet. Do some exploring yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
This Will Destroy You.

Listening to this now, really digging it.

Yeah, it took me a while to actually get around to listening to it. I need to be in a certain mood to listen to post-rock.
Carungi  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self titled - And So I Watch You From Afar (Math rock elements)
Weighing Souls with Sand - The Angelic Process (Drone elements. Fucking sick album)
Anything by Russian Circles. Dayum good Post-metal.
JimmyHero33  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally browse new threads and check out a few bands in the thread that I have not heard of before and I hadn't heard of "Explosions in the sky" I later recognised one of these songs from "friday night lights" much to my satisfaction haha anyway I also checked out "Sigur Ros" and I really like these stuff I was wondering if anyone else knows bands similar to there style "ambient".

EDIT
I have been looking around for some of "Mono" music but I cannot find ti anywhere and my itunes has no money on it at the moment is there anywhere else i can get it from online ro should I just go down to my local music store? or is it not likley they will have there CDs there? If I cannot find any other resorce I will just use a youtube downloader...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Just keep looking through this thread, there are plenty of ambient bands listed in here. Most post-rock has that ambient feel, less so post-metal, but it's a pretty distinguishing characteristic of post-rock. Try the two bands I mentioned.
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eluvium is a good bet for the more ambient sorta stuff. He was the support act when I saw Explosions In The Sky, it was really interesting to see one man playing all the different parts separately and layering them to get the final product. Great stuff.

As for Mono: depends if your local music shop is well stocked. I can find their CDs pretty easily where I am, but your mileage may vary. If you want to stream it, they've got a bunch of albums on Myspace:

One Step More And You Die
You Are There (my personal favourite)
Gone (collection of EPs)
Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain (collaboration with World's End Girlfriend)

...something to get you started, at least.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: