Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
'Favorite' band ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have "metalhead" and "Metalhead" confused. Majority of people I talk to about "Metal" normally have no idea what it is and are therefore (although they might think otherwise) not metalhead. Far too many teenagers hanging out at the pop punk shows (which have gotten really popular lately around here ) throwin up horns like it's allowed.

The other day friend called me says "Dude norm wanna come with us to metal show tonight" and I'm like "yeah". so I go there and totally embarrassed now because I wore my ATG T-shirt and totally didn't blend in at all among the kids there. Then it's hilarious, some below mediocre Deathcore band is the last to play (sadly the closest band to metal in this pop punk fest) and the kids are going nuts yelling shit like "THIS IS PUREEEE METAL!!!!!!!" It's really a sad sight, but they don't know any better.

Long story short: I never agree to go to shows with that group of friends anymore.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
You guys have "metalhead" and "Metalhead" confused. Majority of people I talk to about "Metal" normally have no idea what it is and are therefore (although they might think otherwise) not metalhead. Far too many teenagers hanging out at the pop punk shows (which have gotten really popular lately around here ) throwin up horns like it's allowed.

What if there is a higher level of Metaldom above you that makes you look like those "metalheads" compared to the above "Metalheads?"

How would you have any way of knowing!?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
MetalheadNorm wrote:

What if there is a higher level of Metaldom above you that makes you look like those "metalheads" compared to the above "Metalheads?"

How would you have any way of knowing!?

Of course there is. That's not even a "what if".

All I can do is continue to explore the genre, collect Merch + CD's, and constantly listen to new bands and learn new history as I progress on this Metal path.

The Metal gods know though, they who keep Metal alive and they who are posers. This I know for sure.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
blob  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say either Boston or Journey... Can't really pick right now

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy for me, Rammstein by far. I saw them live yesterday and they put on the best live show ever. I've been listening to them for as long as I can remember and they have failed to make a song I don't like, I just hope this tour isn't there farewell tour as the rumours suggest.

First recorded GS of Black Magic on PS3! I almost feel proud. >__>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: TopGearFTW
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Weezer or Between the Buried and Me. Hands down, those are the bands I'm currently listening to the most.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
Either Weezer or Between the Buried and Me. Hands down, those are the bands I'm currently listening to the most.

Those are 2 pretty different groups to say the least haha.

For me it's gotta be Opeth or Porcupine Tree, both are just too epic for words.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
iranawayfromyou  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently my favorite bands would have to be between Arsonists Get All the Girls (nintendo-core) and Bright Eyes (folk-rock, emo).
I even use Arsonists Get All the Girls song "Zombies Ate my Neighbors" as my theme song
Zappy  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metallica, Van Halen, and Megadeth. Win bands. Metallica wasn't the best during the Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger eras. Death Magnetic impressed me.
Blehgopie  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Beatles, no contest.

There's the bands I like, the bands I hate, and The fucking Beatles.

Every Beatles song (and I mean this literally), is a pleasure unlike anything else I can or ever will experience with rock music, or even all music.

I consider A Day in the Life to be one of the greatest pieces of art in modern times. And some of their songs actually bring tears to my eyes, not of sadness, but of just sheer enjoyment. And when it's not that severe, a lot more of their music gives me shivers down my spine. I fucking LOVE The Beatles.

...I also like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Rush, and Queen >_>

cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blehgopie wrote:
The Beatles, no contest.

There's the bands I like, the bands I hate, and The fucking Beatles.

Every Beatles song (and I mean this literally), is a pleasure unlike anything else I can or ever will experience with rock music, or even all music.

I consider A Day in the Life to be one of the greatest pieces of art in modern times. And some of their songs actually bring tears to my eyes, not of sadness, but of just sheer enjoyment. And when it's not that severe, a lot more of their music gives me shivers down my spine. I fucking LOVE The Beatles.

...I also like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Rush, and Queen >_>

I could not possibly agree with this post more.

THE FUCKING BEATLES. They are sacred to me. And i know what you mean about some of their stuff actually bringing tears to my eyes. Whenever i get to the guitar solo in Let It Be, I feel completely care free and absolutely wonderful.

I can not even imagining getting through my days without listening to atleast an hour of The Beatles.

I have every Beatles song on my Ipod (minus duplicate versions), and it is literally all I listen to.

And a Day in the Life is an absolute masterpiece. I listen to it every morning. Possibly the greatest song every recorded.

THE FUCKING BEATLES!

..I also like Iron Maiden, Rush, Sabbath, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and Aerosmith
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
toddles822  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite band's changed a lot the last year or so. It's been between Dream Theater, Muse, Megadeth, and Between the Buried and Me for the top spot in my mind. And luckily they all released new albums in 2009.

But, I now say that Between the Buried and Me is my favorite band at the moment. The Great Misdirect is just too epic for words IMO and seeing them live in concert last Friday only solidified that viewpoint of BTBAM being incredible. Their songwriting, musicianship, songwriting, energy, and oh did I say songwriting, is just unbelievable and wows me every time.

Besides BTBAM here are some other bands that are in my favorites.

Dream Theater
Megadeth
Muse
Slayer
Metallica
Tool
Iron Maiden
The Offspring
Primus
The Smashing Pumpkins
Obituary
Alice in Chains

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hootie and the blowfish
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Starchaser NI
Maskahu  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
You should love all their music.

I'm sure someone considers Metallica their favorite artist and dislikes some of their catalog of music.

Quote:
You should buy their stuff.

With technology today, people don't necessarily have to buy music to enjoy it or have a favorite artist.

Quote:
They should be original.

If by original, you mean "this artist definitely exists and is not fabricated by my mind", then yes. People are free to love whatever artist they want, the concept of originality is subjective. Also, I'm sure people love [artist name removed to prevent flaming].

Quote:
They should be well-established (at least have a CD out)

I think this goes without saying, but I suppose if you really enjoyed some local artist that plays gigs but hasn't collected enough cash to put out an EP or LP, it would contradict this requirement.

I guess what I'm getting at is this; there really aren't any strict guidelines that define a favorite artist for everyone out there. What you do may work for you, and not for someone else.

That said, I should probably contribute to this thread's topic. My favorite(based mainly on my listening habits) is AFI. It's hard to definitively say "This artist is my favorite." because there are so many things to like about so many different artists, and that's what makes the world of music so amazing and fun to explore.
You're dumb.
You were possibly adopted and all compliments you've ever received were insincere.
Tanked wrote:
i've been banned about 400 times. That's okay though, because dicks.
I love you, Tanked. NEVER FORGET!
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maskahu wrote:
STUFF

1. Nobody in their right mind would consider Metallica their favorite band.
2 part one. If a certain band is your favorite, why would you want to steal from them?
2 part two. You can't illegally download T-shirts, Hoodies, etc.
3. Where'd you pull that definition for original from? A band that is original puts their own take on music as opposed to writing uninspired or music that's exactly the same as music that someone wrote before them.
4. This last point has some lee-way because of course there are some really good local bands out there that may only have a DEMO out or something (like Valdyr ^^), but if your favorite band is completely unknown, you're going to have some annoyance having to explain who they are each time you bring them up. But yeah, you can love a band no matter what amount of material they put out.
5. I guess what I'm getting at is that people that claim to have a favorite band should have a way of showing it besides saying "Yeah, I have their songs on my ipod that were put there for free by undisclosed means . they are good"
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: