ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
"Real" guitar players look down on Guitar Hero?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namu  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: "Real" guitar players look down on Guitar Hero? Reply with quote

I occasionaly visit a forum from a guitar site. Today I opened a topic on that forum about Guitar Hero. I was curious if there maybe were some people there that play real guitar who knew of this game (perhaps even play it themselves).
But...all I got until now were negative reactions. The few people that have reacted so far say they think it's ridiculous, "some stupid game" that makes people think they really can play the guitar, while in fact they can't do anything.
What do you guys think about this?

EskimoTrousers wrote:
so that makes namu sexier than 2 scoreheros?
Genga  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some people here (including me) play guitar already, I did before I started playing GH, and I think the game is fun and addictive.

Theyre just too embarassed as they wont be able to play BATM on Expert ;)
rabies  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played guitar for over 20 years..and am probably better than 90% of the people (oooh...I'm being an arrogant lead guitar player...) i've heard boast on forums about how they would not bother playing guitar hero because they can play the bark at the moon solo on a 'real' guitar.

...whatever...

yet I have not seen a single post by a guitar hero player/fan who goes on to boast that now they can play 'real' guitar because they can play it on guitar hero. Yet these dismissive guitarists seem to think that guitar hero players have this mentality. I personally have seen some guitar players try it and suck at it, and other good at it. So clearly, skill in one does not directly transfer to the other.

It takes all kinds. There are plenty of others here that play guitar. I guess some like it, some wanna put it off without ever trying it because they feel superior if they just dismiss it.....as that is mostly what posting on the Internet is all about.
achat  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dabble in electric and acoustic guitar playing myself, and i fail to see any correlation between getting better at one by playing the other. all i can notice is that my fingers seem to be much more nimble after playing guitar hero, but then i look back on it and that same thing happened when i started playing real guitar. but when you think about it, it's not really a sensible tie because guitar hero is very visual whereas actually guitar playing translates more into audio. at least that's my take on it.
bottom line: i don't think i'm better than any real guitar players because i play guitar hero. i have if nothing else, more respect for them because of this game.
KetchuponEggs  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

achat wrote:
i dabble in electric and acoustic guitar playing myself, and i fail to see any correlation between getting better at one by playing the other. all i can notice is that my fingers seem to be much more nimble after playing guitar hero, but then i look back on it and that same thing happened when i started playing real guitar. but when you think about it, it's not really a sensible tie because guitar hero is very visual whereas actually guitar playing translates more into audio. at least that's my take on it.
bottom line: i don't think i'm better than any real guitar players because i play guitar hero. i have if nothing else, more respect for them because of this game.

well said!

<Fenster> eh
<Fenster> 89 is only 7 less
<Fenster> what's 7 quite bitter beings when you already have 89
* You were kicked from #toys by Echelar (MAGIC PENIS BOX-HO)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Toxin066 PSN Name: Toxin066
IEatGlue  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sister started playing real guitar because of the game

lol

HylianHero  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex and her sister actually started because of GH too...

I agree about the looking down thing. My friends were talking about their guitars and stuff, and it merged into a conversation about DDR and other music games. I mentioned GH and immediately got the cold shoulder. They literally turned away from me and continued their conversation.

Twas a saddening day in the life of me...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone I know who plays guitar loves this game. I play bass in a band and sometimes while taking a break we will play some guitar hero, and it's especially fun because I always kick the lead guitarist's ass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting real guitar because of GH actually.

Some songs, in my opinion, are actually harder in GH than on real guitar. One person who I know plays both and I am better than him on GH, but he would kill me any day on the real guitar, because I just started playing.

Also, one person I know ever better than the previously mentioned person is great at guitar, and with practice could probably nail both CFH and BatM on the real guitar, but he is terrible at GH.

Just goes to show, don't talk about something (positive or negative) if you don't know about it.
IEatGlue  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tru.dat

Galgo  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing I would like to add.

I think, the only thing GH does for real guitarists is increase finger strength therefore increase the speed that a real guitarists can play. Other then that, real guitar and GH are extremely different and require different skills to become good at.
IEatGlue  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tru.dat

schzoidbaka  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with about everyone who posted on this topic.

I play guitar, and I don't think I'm better at guitar because I play GH, in fact, it's the opposite. I'm actually a little worse at guitar ever since I've been playing GH. But that's because I play GH more than practicing guitar... :S

Also, my sister's boyfriend (who bought the game for my birthday), plays guitar and is a million times better than me. We would play GH against each other, and when I win a round, he goes "Pfft... Whatever, I can play this on REAL guitar..." He's joking of course (but it's true on his case).

His other friends who also play guitar and have been introduced to GH love GH! They say it's surprisingly addicting, and one says "I've never hated Bark At The Moon this much since I've started playing Guitar Hero."

Hellion42  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Real" guitar players look down on Guitar Hero Reply with quote

Namu wrote:
I occasionaly visit a forum from a car site. Today I opened a topic on that forum about Gran Tourismo. I was curious if there maybe were some people there that race real cars who knew of this game (perhaps even play it themselves).
But...all I got until now were negative reactions. The few people that have reacted so far say they think it's ridiculous, "some stupid game" that makes people think they really can race a car, while in fact they can't do anything.

I think they're morons.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: "Real" guitar players look down on Guitar Hero Reply with quote

Hellion42 wrote:
Namu wrote:
I occasionaly visit a forum from a car site. Today I opened a topic on that forum about Gran Tourismo. I was curious if there maybe were some people there that race real cars who knew of this game (perhaps even play it themselves).
But...all I got until now were negative reactions. The few people that have reacted so far say they think it's ridiculous, "some stupid game" that makes people think they really can race a car, while in fact they can't do anything.

I think they're morons.

Yea, dude. Eff 'em.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: plasticguitar ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: