ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Activision and Neversoft hit with lay-offs, NS done with GH
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trexxen  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost, my most heartfelt condolences to you guys over at Neversoft. Way back when GH3 was released, and everyone was BAAAWWWW-ing and buying WAAAHmbulances over how the series was going to fail spectacularly, I still liked Guitar Hero and felt none of the bias towards either side that I feel has become so saturated into our community. So when GH5 came out and made (almost) everyone happy, well, I could have said "I told you so" to a great many people. From someone that always believed in you guys, you fucking rock. Good luck and godspeed guys.

As for Kotick, be honest about two things, people. One, no boycott is going to phase him. Worst case scenario, only a few people actually do it (which is likely - point two coming soon =P), and he still makes asstons of money. Best case, GH sells abysmally after 6...and the franchise gets canceled. Bittersweet victory...oh wait, nope, he still has tons of other franchises, PLUS Blizzard, to make wads of cash off of. So we succeed in canceling GH and nothing more. Secondly, are you REALLY going to boycott the games, or are you just boycotting them until they announce that one song you really like? The L4D2 boycott is a good example - it basically got shut down once the game actually came out and was good. Internet boycotts almost NEVER work.

Just my two cents, though. Maybe you guys will somehow get Kodick fired...good luck. =P

~Trexxen
smileymaster  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit:after some thought, these seem somewhat ridiculous.This one feels appropriate, however.

You can put these under the "actual miscellaneous", I guess, voided.

Last edited by smileymaster on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Cyberwaste  

Location: Port Macquarie, the fine... planet of Australia. Chippy-chip-CHURRAH!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Boycotts won't get anyone very far. One goes under, Kotick has something else to fall back on... And he has a LOT to go through before he truly feels vulnerable. Also, as Trexxen said, a boycott would be useless. a MW2 PC one was planned, didn't work. A L4D2 one was planned, didn't happen. GH one seems to be in the works, it'll fall through. Sure, Kotick is a right bastard, but whinging and stamping your feet won't change anything.

Also, all you people pulling the oversaturation card as being the cause; grow up. Just drop it FOR ONCE. Just read this post and rethink what you're going to say, because now is not the time. (I know, I'm rehashing words from a couple of pages back, I just don't want the point to be lost)

psxfreak101 wrote:
But seriously I hate this country when it comes to my beloved hobby of presing buttons on a controller and making shit on my TV follow my every command.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: iAmCyberwaste PSN Name: CyberwasteFX
Megashot  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyberwaste wrote:

Also, all you people pulling the oversaturation card as being the cause; grow up. Just drop it FOR ONCE. Just read this post and rethink what you're going to say, because now is not the time. (I know, I'm rehashing words from a couple of pages back, I just don't want the point to be lost)

Exactly, that's how I feel about that. It's childish to bring up the oversaturation stuff, because we are talking about people losing their jobs here. Everything that has been said about that has been said already, good idea re-posting that Cyberwaste.

With that being said, I am really sad that this has to happen to Neversoft. They do make great games, and GH5 was the best GH game they ever produced. My condolences go out to all of those affected as well. I have played GH5 for well over 30 hours and I still can't get enough of it. You put your heart and soul into that game and it shows. The graphics are amazing, the modes are amazing, the songs are fun to play and to go back to time and time again. Thanks for making one heck of a music/rhythm game. Neversoft really does care about the games they produce. Sequels or not, they put every ounce of effort (seriously) to making each game stand out. Through all of the bickering last year with the "Hero" games they pulled through with a big "screw you" to the critics with GH5. GH5 exceeded expectations and even raised them. My applause goes out to the Neversoft staff for creating such an awesome game. Band Hero was great as well, it used the GH5 engine but created a completely new, fresh experience, with a completely different soundtrack and new venues.

It's sad really, because Activision has all of these excellent developers who care about their games, and then you have Activision's CEO being a money hungry jerk. I've said that a good thing to do would be to probably to get a new publisher, Neversoft needs to get a new publisher and show Activision who's boss!

Proud owner of every Guitar Hero and Rock Band game! Rock on!!!

Last edited by Megashot on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Cool223 PSN Name: Megashot
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If RedOctane is gone, does that mean GH6 will have no new instruments? Oh well. All I wish for is for Neversoft to make a mind-blowing, ass-kicking GH6 to give a humongous fucking middle finger to Activision. After that... who's to say what'll happen

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
TheSoundDefense  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenYourEyes wrote:
GuardianDemon wrote:
THAT GUY GOT TO BE THE CEO FUCKING HOW ?!?!?!?!?!

The periods of elipses in the quote mean that something was removed, which leads me to believe that it is out of context.

No, Kotick is pretty much just an evil bastard. Those quotes were absolutely 100% in context. I just don't think he cares about anybody, certainly not a franchise. If it's not profitable, get rid of it and start milking another one. We should get our fill of Call of Duty while it's still good.

My condolences to the crew at Neversoft and RedOctane. You did some great work, even if Activision was rushing products out the door with bugs in them. Hopefully you guys end up together again and release something awesome Platinum Games-style.

My drum achievements - WGFA, They're Red Hot FCs
RB2 Overall: 211 GS songs, 155 FC songs
RB2 Main Setlist: 83 GS songs, 72 FC songs
TerminX13  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Condolences for everyone affected.. And good luck with GH6, Nev. I've always liked your work, even if anyone else hadn't.. Lets see you guys make GH6 just as pantsshitting as I know you guys can. Good luck with your lives afterward.

...And about this Kotick guy, wtf? After what I've heard.. It's just unreal, man

Twitter | Trollbean | RateYourMusic | Hummingbird
Accomplishments:
RB (Latest: 25 or 6 to 4)
GHL (Latest: GHL FGFC)

Greatest canine ever to play the plastic guitar
DoubleDs  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those from NS who have been hit with layoffs...good luck.

Unfortunately, the gaming industry in general is getting hit pretty hard right now. Reminds me of last year when about 12% of the industry got laid off, as has been the trend over the last few years.

By choosing this industry, you have put yourself in an unstable situation. Fortunately, with your experience (not just with NS, but with programming, art & animation, game design, production, and quality assurance) you should be able to replace a good percentage of your income.

Not to make your layoffs sound unimportant, but I feel much worse for the people in this country who have no skills and will have a much harder time finding employment in this economy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is....It could be worse, you could have no education or skills working at a fast food restaurant to make ends meet. Just don't suck up all the unemployment, I might want some if I get laid off this year.
yakityyakblah  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I leave here tomorrow
Would you still remember me?
For I must be travelling on, now,
'Cause there's too many places I've got to see.
But, if I stayed here with you, girl,
Things just couldn't be the same.
'Cause I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you can not change.
Lord knows, I can't change.

Bye, bye, its been a sweet love.
Though this feeling I can't change.
But please don't take it badly,
'Cause Lord knows I'm to blame.
But, if I stayed here with you girl,
Things just couldn't be the same.
Cause I'm as free as a bird now,
And this bird you'll never change.
And this bird you can not change.
Lord knows, I can't change.
Lord help me, I can't change.
dr00bles  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm terribly upset to learn of all these layoffs, the businessman in me can't help but empathize with Activision regarding their decision. It's a tough time for any company, and I'm sure this move was based solely on their concern about financial figures on the bottom line. And you know what? That's okay. At they end of the day, they're a business, with investors, sales figures, and difficult decisions to make day in and day out.

I remain optimistic about the future of rhythm games. It's in Activision's best interest to provide quality products, and frankly, I feel they've gotten better with each installment. I have trust in their decision and will expect future games - GH6 and beyond - to continue to innovate and raise the bar for rhythm gaming.

That said, it's important to recognize what we're losing. Hats off to Neversoft for helping to establish one of the greatest and most storied franchises in gaming history.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedOctane make the instruments and do the online distribution, so if they go, we may not only have no instruments, but no DLC either.

Homosexual.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Big JAG 2004 PSN Name: BigJAG2004 Wii Friend Code: 2005404297973581 ICQ Number
PlexShaw  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm... it's already been established that RedOctane are safe (for now).

Quote from earlier in the thread...

toymachine wrote:
For the record I looked at OneOfSwords Blog (Dan Amrich) and saw this:

"I saw someone suggest that maybe RedOctane was closing too, but they’re just moving from NorCal to SoCal."

http://oneofswords.com/2010/02/layoffs/#comments
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: PlexShaw PSN Name: PlexShaw Wii Friend Code: 5941308033072690
TheSoundDefense  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlexShaw wrote:
Erm... it's already been established that RedOctane are safe (for now).

Quote from earlier in the thread...

toymachine wrote:
For the record I looked at OneOfSwords Blog (Dan Amrich) and saw this:

"I saw someone suggest that maybe RedOctane was closing too, but they’re just moving from NorCal to SoCal."

http://oneofswords.com/2010/02/layoffs/#comments

From the news I've read, RedOctane is unofficially closing down, many of its employees are leaving, and the rest now report directly to Activision.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177930 just waiting for official confirmation either way.

My drum achievements - WGFA, They're Red Hot FCs
RB2 Overall: 211 GS songs, 155 FC songs
RB2 Main Setlist: 83 GS songs, 72 FC songs
jesse0986  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, I don't think it's fair to pin this on Activision. It's just business, and whether you agree with his ideas or not, that CEO did the exact same thing practically every other successful CEO in the country would have done. Regardless of whether or not Neversoft did anything to lose that money, the fact was that they were losing money. It sucks for all parties involved but it's a necessary evil of the business world.

My condolences to those SH members who served Neversoft. If it's any consolation, SpoonMan made a highly overlooked point--if you're talented, your search for work will not be very long. Good luck.
BigFatBob  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From GH:WT to now, all I ever did was bitch at Neversoft because BAWWW DEY DIDN'T DO THIS RIGHT or WHAAAAAAAA THIS IS BROKEN or WTF I WANT MY <insert>. Now, in light of what's happening, I feel like the biggest asshole on the face of the earth. Never once did I stop to think that in spite of all my complaining, I still bought pretty much every game they shelled out because underneath my nagging cynicism I still thoroughly enjoyed everything they did. This may only be coming from one guy, but seriously, I'm sorry for giving you guys so much shit in the past. You guys didn't deserve any of it, and you especially don't deserve what's happening now.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: BigFatBob08
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc GH Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: