Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Mike Portnoy to fill in for Avenged Sevenfold's next Album
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sottle  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who think Portnoy's just going to come along and whack out Dream Theater stuff on this record:

Portnoy is one of (probably the) the greatest Rock Drummers in the world, but that's not the entire reason he's so in demand as a musician. A good chunk of the reason is that other musicians respect the hell out of his ability to listen to other peoples visions and then adapt and stay true to it.

As previous posters have mentioned, he's done extremely faithful renditions of Beatles and Led Zeppelin songs in tribute bands as well as playing with musicians from pretty much every style imaginable, he's about as far as it gets from a one trick pony.

It's also worth mentioning that he's an A7X FAN, so he's into the music they've put out and will have a pretty good grasp on how to continue along those lines.

With all that said though, i hope A7X do pick up some stuff from him, i'll be an interested listener to this album despite having no interest in anything A7X have done since Sounding the Seventh Trumpet.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
BNghfreak12  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkdog2007 wrote:
Shadowstep wrote:
You are absolutely insane.

lrn2cannibal corpse

We are in the music discussion section.

So true. Cannibal Corpse (like a lot of black metal bands) are abysmal.

Anywho, A7X are decent (I actually liked their latest album...) but I don't like Dream Theater. A7X should just be keeping with the direction that they've been going with because it is working. If Portnoy Dream Theaterizes their sound it can only make it worse imo. Besides, even if I did like DT, that style wouldn't suit A7X at all.

Also, there are better drummers in the department of prog. I wouldn't call Portnoy the best.
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it been cleared up as to whether or not he's writing with them? I was under the impression that he was just recording the songs with them.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenYourEyes wrote:
Has it been cleared up as to whether or not he's writing with them? I was under the impression that he was just recording the songs with them.

he's just recording, they've written most of the album already, the rev had actually already recorded some parts to his songs lyrically and drums wise and shown them to his parents.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b.vicious wrote:
OpenYourEyes wrote:

he's just recording, they've written most of the album already, the rev had actually already recorded some parts to his songs lyrically and drums wise and shown them to his parents.

So why is there so much talk about whether or not Portney is going to influence them or not, if he's just recording?

EDIT: Also, I just realized that Portney and I share the same first name.
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cuz regardless or not, they could be recording, and mike could throw in some more ideas into their songs and whatnot, that's just what i can gather. I know they're already done writing, i've been looking at their official page, myspace and wikipedia since it was announced that they were writing for a new album (yeah i'm obsessed you wanna fight about it?).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b.vicious wrote:
cuz regardless or not, they could be recording, and mike could throw in some more ideas into their songs and whatnot, that's just what i can gather. I know they're already done writing, i've been looking at their official page, myspace and wikipedia since it was announced that they were writing for a new album (yeah i'm obsessed you wanna fight about it?).

Wow, I never even thought about that.

I feel like an idiot.
stinkdog2007  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Mike Portnoy's Twitter:
Quote:
Just finished the A7X drum tracks...what an amazing experience! Me & Zacky celebrated by getting matching Death Bat tats here in the studio. I must thank the amazing A7X fans for being so open and welcoming to me..I was fearing them being very defensive over The Rev's drum throne. But they've all been so supportive, open-minded, understanding and excited by the news...it is a huge relief to me and the guys...what an awesome family spirit these guys have...lotsa love! Hopefully this wont be the last time we play together..

I can't believe he already finished. I hope this turned out really good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkdog2007 wrote:
From Mike Portnoy's Twitter:
Quote:
Just finished the A7X drum tracks...what an amazing experience! Me & Zacky celebrated by getting matching Death Bat tats here in the studio. I must thank the amazing A7X fans for being so open and welcoming to me..I was fearing them being very defensive over The Rev's drum throne. But they've all been so supportive, open-minded, understanding and excited by the news...it is a huge relief to me and the guys...what an awesome family spirit these guys have...lotsa love! Hopefully this wont be the last time we play together..

I can't believe he already finished. I hope this turned out really good.

i second this^

and he got a deathbat tattoo?!

stinkdog2007  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Portnoy's Death Bat Tattoo
Zacky V Gets the same Tattoo as MP
Mike Portnoy uses The Rev's Cymbal
M Shadows get The Rev tattooed on his Right Hand

Thought I'd show those to anyone who hasn't seen them yet. They are all really epic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Mike Portnoy will also take over The Rev's backing vocals? XD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
dogtownzboy1  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try to keep this on-topic before you get this thread deleted. You can discuss "dark" themes and "black/doom metal" in The Metal Thread.

Back to seriousness. Does anyone know an exact date for the album's release?

http://www.last.fm/user/shad0wz69
Follow Me @dogtownzboy1

Haven't been on ScoreHero in 3 years. 4chan ruined my life.
buttfaceninja  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogtownzboy1 wrote:
Can you try to keep this on-topic before you get this thread deleted. You can discuss "dark" themes and "black/doom metal" in The Metal Thread.

Before the Rev's death they were shooting for July. I dont if this has changed but with the songs written and the drums already recorded a summer release seems very likely

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buttfaceninja wrote:
dogtownzboy1 wrote:

Before the Rev's death they were shooting for July. I dont if this has changed but with the songs written and the drums already recorded a summer release seems very likely

they are still saying july, so ... *waits for july*

Ad134  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
Maybe Mike Portnoy will also take over The Rev's backing vocals? XD

*shudder*
I still have flashbacks from A Nightmare To Remember...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: