Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
R.I.P. The Fall of Troy 2002-2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaMoney  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: R.I.P. The Fall of Troy 2002-2010 Reply with quote

http://thefalloftroy.com/one-last-time-lose-your-minds/

Quote:
Dearest friends from all corners of the world,

I write to inform you that after nearly 9 years, 5 full-lengths, 2 bass players, hundreds of shows, and numerous other achievements and follies, Andrew, Frank, and I have decided to end our career as The Fall of Troy.

This band has been my life, my love, the air I breathe, the food I eat, and what helps me sleep (and sometimes keeps me up) at night. I love and cherish the music we’ve made, the times we’ve had, and all the great friends we’ve met along the way. Andrew, Frank, and of course Tim, will always and forever have a special place in my heart. But it has come time for us to call it a day. After everything’s said and done, there is no drama, there is no blow out, it’s simply the three members of this band are on three different paths in our lives.

I always hold true to the fact that it’s better to go out in style, to ride off into the sunset, than go down in flames. This tour coming up with Envy On The Coast and Twin Atlantic will be our last go round, and we really hope that all of you will come out and celebrate what has been so unreal and unbelievable – let’s dance one last time!

We would really like to thank everyone that’s ever been involved with the band, managed the band, booked a show for us, let us eat your canned food, sleep on your floor, asked us for a picture, caught me when I’ve almost been dropped, put out a record for us, driven us through a late night drive thru, or anything else any of you could possibly look back on and enjoy what this band was…Fun.

So make sure you come out to “The Marked-Men of 2010 Tour” as it will be our last hurrah! We love you, and will be giving as much love as you’ve given to us at these shows. So that’s that! We love you with all our hearts, thank you from the very bottom of them, and goodbye comrades.

R.I.P.
TFOT
2002-2010

With A Heavy Heart,
Thomas Joseph Erak

PS. I have no intention to stop making music! Quite the opposite actually – but until then see you at the shows!

To be entirely honest, this news only somewhat shocks me. TFoT has always been a band on the edge, but after their latest album and all their tour announcements it seemed like they were too hyped to be considering a break up.

The Fall of Troy and Doppelganger changed my life. Thomas Erak was my guitar idol for years and years, and the riffs on those albums continue to inspire everything I do with the instrument. This honestly feels worse than the Fall Out Boy break up (my other musical inspiration). Also, I was hoping we would see a release after the disappointment that In the Unlikely Event turned out being.

As the post said, this spring tour will be there last, so get yourselves out there! (on that note, Copeland is also on their final tour and you should probably go check them out if you still can).

Dates:
3/6/10 DeKalb, IL @ House Cafe

3/7/10 Indianapolis, IN @ Emerson Theatre

3/9/10 Covington, KY @ Mad Hatter

3/10/10 Nashville, TN @ Rocketown

3/11/10 Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade

3/12/10 St. Petersburg, FL @ Orpheum

3/13/10 Orlando, FL @ The Social

3/14/10 Mobile, AL @ Alabama Music Box

3/15/10 Metairie, LA @ High Ground

3/17/10 Mission, TX @ Never Say Never Festival

3/18/10 Austin, TX @ SXSW

3/19/10 Austin, TX @ SXSW

3/20/10 Dallas, TX @ The Door

3/21/10 San Antonio, TX @ White Rabbit

3/23/10 Phoenix, AZ @ Martini Ranch

3/25/10 San Luis Obispo, CA @ Downtown Brew

3/26/10 San Francisco, CA @ Slims

3/27/10 Anaheim, CA @ Bamboozle

3/30/10 Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre

3/31/10 Seattle, WA @ El Corazon

4/1/10 Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw

4/3/10 Salt Lake City, UT @ Murray Theatre

4/4/10 Denver, CO @ Marquis Theatre

4/6/10 Lawrence, KS @ Bottleneck

4/7/10 Des Moines, IA @ House of Blues

4/8/10 Minneapolis, MN @ Triple Rock

4/9/10 Chicago, IL @ Subterranean

4/10/10 Cleveland, OH @ Grog Shop

4/11/10 Grand Rapids, MI @ Intersection

4/13/10 Pittsburgh, PA @ Diesel

4/14/10 Buffalo, NY @ Mohawk

4/15/10 Toronto, ON @ Annex Wreck Room

4/16/10 Montreal, QC @ Underworld

4/17/10 Syracuse, NY @ Lost Horizon

4/18/10 Albany, NY @ Valentines

4/20/10 Allentown, PA @ Crocodile Rock

4/21/10 Philadelphia, PA @ First Church

4/22/10 Baltimore, MD @ Ottobar

4/24/10 New York, NY @ Irving Plaza

4/25/10 New Haven, CT @ Toad's Place

inb4 The Fall of The Fall of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, they're coming to Portland.

I may have to buy a ticket. This might be a cool show (coming from only a moderate fan).
Set all the tax rates to 9.
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joy of the fall of troy will be no... moy =(

Ahhh, this sucks bigtime. Of course I respect their decisions, but It's a pity I won't see them live ever. I wonder what Thom meant by "PS. I have no intention to stop making music! Quite the opposite actually – but until then see you at the shows!". Especially the "until then"-part. Maybe he'll join another band?

Who knows. Still, I'm happy they didn't quit earlier. It could've been worse.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:

Ahhh, this sucks bigtime. Of course I respect their decisions, but It's a pity I won't see them live ever. I wonder what Thom meant by "PS. I have no intention to stop making music! Quite the opposite actually – but until then see you at the shows!". Especially the "until then"-part. Maybe he'll join another band?

It probably means he's forming a band/going solo. I'd like to see something amazing come out of it.

In the end, I have a =/ face on. I respect their actions, but I don't see why they're killing the band. From what it seems, it sounds like there's nothing bad against them, and they'll probably go on a reunion in a few years or something like that.
inv4der  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: R.I.P. The Fall of Troy 2002-2010 Reply with quote

SeaMoney wrote:
4/20/10 Allentown, PA @ Crocodile Rock

I'll have to try to go, that's only a few miles away.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontwikseltsaar wrote:

Thomas is actually a drummer by trade, and he's the drummer for Michael Mearns's band The Monday Mornings. On February 12 Mearns said a new TMM album was coming soon.

Though, after Thomas ranted about how proud he was of his vocal development he's probably planning a solo project, or fronting a new band that plays more vocal driven music. We'll know soon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I knew he is a drummer. Maybe he'll try to sing in his next band while drumming XD

That would be so epic.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they only JUST got the symphony goin'!
JimmyHero33  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fall of troy was never a real big fan btu I respect there music and it is a shame that theya re breaing up but it also may bring greater things for the members and of the music they make. We will always have previous releases to listen to so good luck to them and hope to hear some more good if not great quality music.
R.I.P FOT a fair good band!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a :/ face. They had some pretty neat stuff going, and now they're breaking up? It just left me shocked, but blank. I felt a little emptier on the inside. Well, RIP TFOT.

You have died of dysentery. Put in your sig if lemons.
Proud Christian: If you are a Christian, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Christians are on ScoreHero!
***My Accomplishments: 67 RB2 H Guitar FCs!***
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: BlueTornadoSH
Abomstar  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks. Admittedly, I know very little about how this band operated behind the scenes, but I can't help but feel that the tepid (arguably worse than tepid) response to In the Unlikely Event contributed big time to this. I like the album a lot, but it seems like Erak tried to take it in too many different directions and had no filter for his less-than-stellar ideas. He seemed so enthusiastic about his vocal improvements and the "timelessness" of the songs, and to have the album get critically eviscerated like that must hurt a lot. Empty the Clip, in my opinion, is the best example of where the album missed the mark, and why I don't really understand Erak's "death to sellouts" attitude he carried throughout the whole project -- not typical The Fall of Troy, and not necessarily in a good way. Practically musical devolution by their own standards. On the other hand, Transference, Pillow Talk, People and Their Lives, among others, were unique high points that I believe would be more warmly remembered if the band went on to do bigger and better things. Just doesn't seem right for this to be their final album, you know?

But, I'll still follow the band members' future endeavors on the basis of how amazing everything else was. Really, not a bad song in the bunch between self-titled and Phantom. They were my first exposure to the scream-infused, super-heavy, intricately melodic, maddeningly catchy style of songwriting and still my favorite contributors to the genre, as they did it with a one-of-a-kind mix of personality, intelligence, and class, not to mention mesmerizing instrumental skill.

It was a good run.

Last edited by Abomstar on Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Carungi  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year sucks so much. First #12, and now Fall of Troy

Bought my ticket for Martini Ranch already. I'm sad to see them go, they put on the best shows.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
4/16/10 Montreal, QC @ Underworld

damn, will have to miss this. its my son's birthday !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Take him with you. Fun for the whole family!

RLKDragon  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the first tour date:

3/6/10 DeKalb, IL @ House Cafe

As an NIU student, holy hell this is AWESOME! I don't understand why they wouldn't play at Otto's (bigger bar/music venue right down the street, which would suit them better), but I might as well go see them anyway!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: