Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The "Greatest" Band ever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowyporpoise  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beatles, Zepplin and Sabbath probably all have good cases.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
Klaww wrote:
Alright, you gave a reason for the beatles, but why do you disagree with nirvana, you gave no reason.

Nirvana just isn't anywhere near as close to The Beatles in terms of Legacy. Nirvana will go down in history as a band that was around just long enough to knock the industry off of it's feet, and not much more.

I kinda have to agree on this one. Nirvana was good and all that jazz, but the Beatles are, well, the Beatles. Nirvana just doesn't stand up to that.

snowyporpoise wrote:
Beatles, Zepplin and Sabbath probably all have good cases.

I think the Beatles did a lot more than either of the other two. Yes, they were all very, very influential, but the Beatles out-do just about everybody.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenYourEyes wrote:
GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
Klaww wrote:
Alright, you gave a reason for the beatles, but why do you disagree with nirvana, you gave no reason.

Nirvana just isn't anywhere near as close to The Beatles in terms of Legacy. Nirvana will go down in history as a band that was around just long enough to knock the industry off of it's feet, and not much more.

I kinda have to agree on this one. Nirvana was good and all that jazz, but the Beatles are, well, the Beatles. Nirvana just doesn't stand up to that.

Have to agree with this one. Don't get me wrong,I love Nirvana, I think they are an incredible band (note the username), but lumping them in with the Beatles is a bit of a stretch.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobainage1994 wrote:
OpenYourEyes wrote:
GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
Klaww wrote:

Have to agree with this one. Don't get me wrong,I love Nirvana, I think they are an incredible band (note the username), but lumping them in with the Beatles is a bit of a stretch.

Personally, I don't like Nirvana. That doesn't stop me from knowing that they were very influential, and that they wrote good music. It's just not my kind of stuff.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
afrojavi  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greatest band is Tool

Shadowstep  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Beatles are boring.

It's really hard to pick the greatest band of all time. If I had to pick I guess I'd say either Tool or Atheist.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in my opinion, being the "greatest" band ever has to be one that:

1. Has influence on other bands
2. Has a huge legacy
3. And you can ask any person and they will know this band, whether it be one song or every song.

My answer (you guessed it): The Beatles.

It seems it's already been established that the Beatles have influenced tons of bands and have a huge legacy.

But what some people, imo, never take into consideration is the third one. Now the two posts above me wrote Tool and Atheist. Alright...that's fine and good. Now ask any normal person who those bands are and you'll get a "Huh?"

Ask any normal person who The Beatles are and you're bound to get a "Duh, who doesn't know them? Or you'll get a "Yes." You could probably ask them to name off a song and they would know at least one. Even if they aren't a huge fan of them. They just know them.

That's what I think, what do you think about the third number?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumper93 wrote:
Now the two posts above me wrote Tool and Atheist. Alright...that's fine and good. Now ask any normal person who those bands are and you'll get a "Huh?"

If the people regarded in this posts could give reasons as to why Tool and Atheist are deserving of the greatest band ever, I would appreciate it.

I like Tool, I am not huge on their music, but from what i have heard, they are a great band. But to call them the greatest band ever, I think that is a bit of a stretch. As I stated in my OP several times, their is a BIG difference between the greatest band, and your favorite band. I have not noticed drastic influence from Tool in music today, nor are the loved and adored by several generations of todays society.

As stumper stated, unless you are a fan of tool, or a big rock fan in general, many people have probably not heard a song by them. I feel it is safe to say that the majority of the music listening culture has not heard of Tool.

In regards to Atheist. I have never heard them, but I know they are death metal. It is pretty obvious that death metal does not have the largest fan base, nor has the genre as a whole been popular long enough to create enough influence. I personally, can not think of one reason why a death metal band deserves the crown of the greatest band ever, maybe your favorite, but the greatest band to ever exist?? C'mon
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
Shadowstep  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobainage1994 wrote:
stumper93 wrote:
Now the two posts above me wrote Tool and Atheist. Alright...that's fine and good. Now ask any normal person who those bands are and you'll get a "Huh?"

If the people regarded in this posts could give reasons as to why Tool and Atheist are deserving of the greatest band ever, I would appreciate it.

I like Tool, I am not huge on their music, but from what i have heard, they are a great band. But to call them the greatest band ever, I think that is a bit of a stretch. As I stated in my OP several times, their is a BIG difference between the greatest band, and your favorite band. I have not noticed drastic influence from Tool in music today, nor are the loved and adored by several generations of todays society.

As stumper stated, unless you are a fan of tool, or a big rock fan in general, many people have probably not heard a song by them. I feel it is safe to say that the majority of the music listening culture has not heard of Tool.

In regards to Atheist. I have never heard them, but I know they are death metal. It is pretty obvious that death metal does not have the largest fan base, nor has the genre as a whole been popular long enough to create enough influence. I personally, can not think of one reason why a death metal band deserves the crown of the greatest band ever, maybe your favorite, but the greatest band to ever exist?? C'mon

But why do they have to be popular?

You're definition of "greatest" is far different to mine. To me, "greatest" can mean any combination of the following:

a) Constantly broke new ground in music
b) Produced complex music that requires higher level musicianship to perform
c) And similar to your definition, pioneered future genres of music

From then on it's completely subjective. I'm guessing you like music from the 60's? If you said either The Jimi Hendrix Experience or King Crimson were the greatest band ever I would have no quarrels. But the Beatles? I would disagree, popularity alone simply doesn't justify them as the "greatest" band ever in my opinion.

You have to remember, this is what our Western Democratic society is built on; the most popular choice is not always right.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main issue with the influential argument is that most seem to believe (or they imply it in their explanations) that progression needs to be linear. X influenced Y, Y influenced Z. I'm not going to lie and say influence is irrelevant. Obviously, most bands that haev ever existed were inspired by or formed because of another band. This isn't to say however, that Band Z could not have just formed in a garage creating some brand new genre of music. If the influence of music is in fact so defined and linear, then every band that was ever influenced by The Beatles has been indirectly influenced by Chuck Berry, Elvis, etc.

I really can't find any other way to explain my thoughts...

I don't honestly believe I could pick a certain set of distinctions that qualify a band as being the "greatest" ever.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowstep wrote:
But why do they have to be popular?

You're definition of "greatest" is far different to mine. To me, "greatest" can mean any combination of the following:

a) Constantly broke new ground in music
b) Produced complex music that requires higher level musicianship to perform
c) And similar to your definition, pioneered future genres of music

Criteria: b) is talk about the band being good/bad, not great.

Here are the first two entries in the thesaurus:
~
Main Entry: great
Definition: important, celebrated
~
Main Entry: great
Definition: very large
~
The Beatles are definitely the most of all 3 of those criteria combined. I believe legacy and great go hand in hand.

What was it that made Alexander the Great so great?

Shadowstep wrote:
You have to remember, this is what our Western Democratic society is built on; the most popular choice is not always right.

This is something that can be measured objectively.

Ensiferum wrote:
My main issue with the influential argument is that most seem to believe (or they imply it in their explanations) that progression needs to be linear. X influenced Y, Y influenced Z. I'm not going to lie and say influence is irrelevant. Obviously, most bands that haev ever existed were inspired by or formed because of another band. This isn't to say however, that Band Z could not have just formed in a garage creating some brand new genre of music. If the influence of music is in fact so defined and linear, then every band that was ever influenced by The Beatles has been indirectly influenced by Chuck Berry, Elvis, etc.

That's why I toss 'directly' in there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ask any normal person who The Beatles are and you're bound to get a "Duh, who doesn't know them? Or you'll get a "Yes." You could probably ask them to name off a song and they would know at least one. Even if they aren't a huge fan of them. They just know them.

Exactly. Like when I was little and didn't know the name of any band, I had heard of The Beatles.You kind of already know who the Beatles are without really knowing, kind of like the intro to Smoke on the Water, you know it without knowing the name of the song because it's so popular.

<- NTSC FTW!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 286406839581
BNghfreak12  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread demonstrates why music should only be subjective. The Beatles are just a band. So are Nirvana. So are Tool. So are [insert band here]. Yes, one band may be the most influential and the most popular (The Beatles is an obvious candidate for that) but does that equal greatest? Does ANYTHING in music equal greatest? No.
machchunk  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BNghfreak12 wrote:
Does ANYTHING in music equal greatest? No.

Of course it can. You only think that because you're so used to the conversational meaning of great. "Great" was meant to be a more objective word, like so:
*Remarkable or outstanding in magnitude, degree, or extent
*Of outstanding significance or importance

Certainly the Beatles or some aspect of them fit one of those definitions.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
sidney17  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From page one:
GIRLintheFIRE wrote:
The term "Greatest" has more behind it than being good. You don't have to be the best to be the greatest. What greatest really has to do with is legacy.

Well, that's archetypal. Really, greatest isn't up to popular opinion, it's up to the individual making that choice. (The previous sentence is also an archetypal generalisation).

I believe Sonata Arctica are the greatest band ever. Reasons? I just really fucking love their music, now give me a break and debate the definition of "greatest" without me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: