SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Programming Thread / Project Euler Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GesterX  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
Just want to chime in and say that learning from a book is superior than learning form the internet. By far. Books have a structure to the way they teach you things that you lose inherently in Google searches.

Yes. This. Most books teach you a concept. The get you to apply that concept. Then expand the concept. Always get a book rather than using the Internet. Although the internet is great for when you get stuck on something or once you've grasped the fundamentals.

As for me, I'm studying Computer Science at Aston University, UK. I'm currently on placement year, which means I have a real job at the package company TNT, where I do many code-based things. Then in October back to Uni for final year. If you ever get chance to do a placement year I STRONGLY RECCOMMEND IT. The amount of motivation going 40 hours per week gives you is immense. When I go back to Uni next year, a 20 hour timetable si going to seem like nothing.

The languages we cover at Uni are:
Java (by far my strongest), C++, OpenGL, Lisp, Haskal, Python, SQL, PHP, Javascript, and Ada.
Urisma  

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenGl isn't a language, it's an API Well, it does have a shader language though, so I guess it technically is.

Anyway, GesterX, what sort of things do you do on the job? I have to intern a fair amount for the magnet school I attend, so what sorts of things should I expect, in general? What's the daily routine like?
pyrobob  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to pick up some form of programming aside from PHP and the abomination that is Flash. However, going into the Networking field I'm not sure I'd need it unless I start working with databases. Then that would be more SQL or Oracle over anything else, really.
GesterX  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urisma wrote:
OpenGl isn't a language, it's an API Well, it does have a shader language though, so I guess it technically is.

Anyway, GesterX, what sort of things do you do on the job? I have to intern a fair amount for the magnet school I attend, so what sorts of things should I expect, in general? What's the daily routine like?

I'd still count it as a seperate skill as you have to learn so much to use it!!!

Urm well my job is a wierd one. It's about 50% Support (a.k.a install stuff, sort out errors, apply patches, design processes for use of software. And then 50% project work. Because my manager has a lot of responsibilities he was able to give me a java project to do.

Basically it extracts data from several XML APIs and almagamates that data into a single view which is useful for management to look at. About 6,000 lines of code and one on one tutoring from a very able programmer who works there.

In terms of what to expect... well it depends. I have friends who HATE there placement. They do the same thing every day. Luckily I like mine just because it's so varied. The support stuff breaks up the project stuff and I get to talk to loads of different people all around the world. I would just go there with an open mind and after aq few months look for opportunities to mmake the most of the year.

For me, I was getting lazy in 2nd year of uni. But getting up at 6AM every day and getting home 12 hours later has done wonders for my motivation.
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
Oh, and OpenYourEyes, don't plan on making games just yet. Games are just about the hardest thing you can try to program. Simple games aren't bad, but the amount of extremely complex mathematics that go into a game like COD is unfathomable. If you really want to program games, you need to be knowledgeable of trigonometry first and foremost.

I meant making a game like Pong or something. Nothing complex at all. I've made 10-15 games already using Game Maker, but that's not programming, it's just.... I don't even know.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
KrakenEater  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well ask this here. I have a web page that pretty much looks like this:
Code:
Text text text

php include("navigation.php") /php

text text text
Does this have any glaring security flaws? I'm afraid I know very little about php (I'm learning, just not very fast). I know that most cracking is done through input boxes (which I don't have), but I figured I might as well check here.

[edit] It won't let me display the stuff properly, but the start and close tags are normal.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrakenEater: I don't know any PHP, but I would assume no. The reason input boxes are used for cracking is because of buffer overflow (well. In general, I'm not sure about that specific to PHP, but I'd assume that input is very similar, and buffer overflow can occur). For example, say that your variable to hold the input was 50 bytes big. If someone entered in something above 50 bytes, this would overflow into the next item on the stack/heap. What sort of affect this has depends on the code. Ill give this example: String whatever is at 0x1000, and has been allocated 16 bytes of storage. Say that at 0x0ff0 is the variable granting access. If access = true, or a non zero value, then the user gains access. If I entered in "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA1" into the input box, the string would be 16 As, and access would be true, so I'd have access to your website Granted, I'm sure something like this would be taken care of by PHP automatically (maybe?), but that's the general gist of how you can be hacked. Obviously, in you didn't want to be hacked, it would be a pretty good idea to make sure overflows aren't possible.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm done with my finals, and my teacher didn't teach us even a little C++, anyone know of any online books or online resources (Books > Online, I know) that I could learn it over the summer so I can be prepared for Data Structures next semester? The only thing related to C++ we learns were arrays and loops. Every command we used was part of the DarkGDK.
ajanata  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urisma wrote:
KrakenEater: I don't know any PHP, but I would assume no. The reason input boxes are used for cracking is because of buffer overflow (well. In general, I'm not sure about that specific to PHP, but I'd assume that input is very similar, and buffer overflow can occur). For example, say that your variable to hold the input was 50 bytes big. If someone entered in something above 50 bytes, this would overflow into the next item on the stack/heap. What sort of affect this has depends on the code. Ill give this example: String whatever is at 0x1000, and has been allocated 16 bytes of storage. Say that at 0x0ff0 is the variable granting access. If access = true, or a non zero value, then the user gains access. If I entered in "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA1" into the input box, the string would be 16 As, and access would be true, so I'd have access to your website Granted, I'm sure something like this would be taken care of by PHP automatically (maybe?), but that's the general gist of how you can be hacked. Obviously, in you didn't want to be hacked, it would be a pretty good idea to make sure overflows aren't possible.

It doesn't really work that way in PHP (you don't deal with raw memory addresses). You run into problems by not properly escaping input before you pass it along to the database more than anything else.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm interested in the theoretical application of programming and computer problems, such as optimization problems. Doesn't change the fact that I'm sitting here coding website stuff for a living, coding against weird Chinese APIs which work on 32-bit machines but not on 64-bit machines.

KrakenEater wrote:
Might as well ask this here. I have a web page that pretty much looks like this:
Code:
Text text text

php include("navigation.php") /php

text text text
Does this have any glaring security flaws? I'm afraid I know very little about php (I'm learning, just not very fast). I know that most cracking is done through input boxes (which I don't have), but I figured I might as well check here.

[edit] It won't let me display the stuff properly, but the start and close tags are normal.

As long as you don't perform dynamic includes or loading of pages, such as pages requested via a GET parameter, there's nothing really wrong with includes. If you do decide to use dynamic includes, be sure to seal off access to .. and any root folders in which the site runs.

Your biggest threat in PHP is, like ajanata pointed out, SQL Injection. Never, ever trust anything that you receive from the outside. We have certificates for that sort of thing.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: UpgradePolecat
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after one week in the class, the main thing we will be going over is Abstract Data Types (ADTs) and Recursion. Anyone have any insight into these 2 topics?
GuitarGeek08  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am taking a programming this quarter at my college. Its Programming for Info Tech I and the book I have seems to be about programming in Java. Will this be difficult for someone like me w only basic HTML experience to learn?

I Don't Suck at GH
Xpertlefty13 quoting me in his Acc Thread wrote:
Honestly, thank you

This is the first real, well thought-out explanation I've seen
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarGeek08 wrote:
So I am taking a programming this quarter at my college. Its Programming for Info Tech I and the book I have seems to be about programming in Java. Will this be difficult for someone like me w only basic HTML experience to learn?

Java should be just fine if you're getting a formal education. It's not super simple and it's nothing like HTML but I wouldn't fret.
blackwidowcd  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Programming Thread Reply with quote

I have a little python and java experience. Currently taking a game programming class. I'm learning Unity with javascript. I need work at coding.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
Well, after one week in the class, the main thing we will be going over is Abstract Data Types (ADTs) and Recursion. Anyone have any insight into these 2 topics?

Recursion can be fun once you understand how to get it to work. It's essentially calling a function repeatedly to achieve a desired effect (rather than using a loop).

Abstract data types are all about storage (stacks, queues, linked lists, etc.). These can be tough. Don't skimp on any and all material you're given on this particular subject. Because different abstract data types work differently they don't all operate the same way. Linked lists were the most troublesome for me. I still have to go at them a few times before getting them to work right (depending on the situation).

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: