Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Programming Thread / Project Euler Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: The Programming Thread / Project Euler Thread Reply with quote

Used search and found nothing within the first 3 pages.

Anyway, surely there are some programmers here on SH. As for me, I'm a freshman in college majoring in Computer Science and I'm in a programming class right now, using C++ with the DarkGDK Library and we are just now learning arrays, which is kind of confusing to me right now.

Anyone else? Did you go to college and take any formal classes, or did you teach yourself through books and the such?

Last edited by Sarg338 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took AP classes in high school. I should be going to a campus for school, but I'm taking online classes that are extremely easy as I've already seen the material. Although taking C++ classes refreshed my memory on it. I'm a bit more fluent in Java than C++, even though the share many traits with one another.

Aside from the class, I've been trying to remake a chat program in Java (similar to IRC chat, but with just one server), but run into issues and keep putting it off. What trouble are you having with arrays?

Custom Guitar Paint Jobs (Submit Yours!)
Proud supporter of EWiggen's Grilled Cheese and GH Combo
socrstopr wrote:
This thread is very disturburbing. Also terrible.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just using arrays as sorting and shuffling a series of numbers and stuff, probably stuff that will come to me with experience.

Like right now, me and my group have an assignment for class to create an array with the values {10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60} and to shuffle those numbers up and display them on the screen. We got it to where it would display a random number in 6 spots, but it duplicated some numbers, which we don't want. /rant

But the only bad thing about this class is we are using a Library based off of DarkBASIC, so none of the regular C++ people can ever help us haha

EDIT: Damn, 2000th post talking about coding, haha.
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading up on DarkBASIC, it almost has nothing in common with C++ (at least from the beginner tutorials). Did you pick that or is that just what they teach?

Anyway, so you're trying to declare an array of ints and display the contents randomly?

If you've got it to display the numbers randomly but they're overlapping, all you need to do is make another array to store the new scrambled values, and add an if statement to see if the new array already contains the value you intend to add to it.

I think you should grab a Teach Yourself in 24 Hours C++ book. C++ is something that, if you're good at understanding the fundamentals of programming, can be very easy to learn. Honestly, once you get the hang of HOW the code is doing what it's doing it's very easy to apply that to new languages. It's just a matter of learning new syntax and adhering to the differences (for example, classes in C++ and Java can do exactly the same thing but are written quite differently).

socrstopr wrote:
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Head0nFire86
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBMrider86 wrote:
Reading up on DarkBASIC, it almost has nothing in common with C++ (at least from the beginner tutorials). Did you pick that or is that just what they teach?

Yea, the commands and everything are way different. My teacher decided to teach us it because usually in Comp. 150 & 151, it's usually C++ with just text-based programs, and he wanted to teach this since it would introduce graphics and the such to beginner classes.

One other thing I've noticed about programming is it's a bittersweet class. When you're working on something and you keep running in to errors and spend hours trying to figure it out, it sucks and makes me want to quit, but when you finally figure it out and get it done, it's an awesome feeling.
Bedlam  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about starting a thread like this. I just started taking programming classes this Spring semester. I'm an Information Systems and Operations Management major at UF, so I thought a little extra programming help from the Computer Sciences department on the side couldn't hurt.

The Introduction to Programming class here uses Java so I'm getting pretty decent with the language. I've also picked up a decent amount of Visual Basic and Visual C# building applications in a separate class that is specific to my major. So far I'm loving it. I would agree with you, Sarq, I really enjoy the feeling you get when you get something right after working on it for a while, however I don't mind the frustrations in figuring out the solutions that much. I also find myself spending hours online just reading up on Java and C#, learning things that they don't teach in my classes.

Anyway, UF requires a stupid programming based math class that you have to take before you can take anything useful like Data Structures & Algorithms or any Database course. I really don't wanna write proofs about programming... Anyone else have to take this ridiculous math course? Also, I'm contemplating taking a course entirely on the C programming language this summer, does anyone think that would be useful at all?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedlam wrote:
Anyway, UF requires a stupid programming based math class that you have to take before you can take anything useful like Data Structures & Algorithms or any Database course. I really don't wanna write proofs about programming... Anyone else have to take this ridiculous math course? Also, I'm contemplating taking a course entirely on the C programming language this summer, does anyone think that would be useful at all?

Math, primarily discrete mathematics, plays a huge role in programming. Even though you may not want to get into the theoretical side of computer science, it's completely understandable if the university forces you to do so. If the math class in question is part of the computer science department itself, then chances are it'll be a highly watered down version of the equivalent found in the math department. Doubt you'll need to worry. Syllabus will probably involve an introduction to mathematical logic, set theory, and stuff like mathematical induction. I wouldn't know though, I haven't taken a computer science class outside of high school.

But hey, many of us have to take classes we may not necessarily want to take. Someone wanting to focus in microeconomics might have to take an econometrics class. Someone wanting to do biology might have to take linear algebra. And engineering majors? At my school, they're all forced to take a course in communications. (This last one is for their own good, though.)
GuardianDemon  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently learning C myself at the moment. Saved a few websites on learning it in 24 hours, though i'm going alot slower than that because i have other things to do.
suspectfenster  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a computer engineering/computer science major in headed into my fifth semester, starting to apply to grad schools and stuff. I work at a software consulting firm, working mostly with ASP and ASP.NET. I also know C, Java, php, and Verilog. The latter of which is an HDL (hardware description language), not a programming language, but extremely useful as a computer engineer.

My main interest is in operating systems (hence the C), and computer architecture (hence the Verilog).
Bedlam  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjwdestroyer wrote:

Math, primarily discrete mathematics, plays a huge role in programming. Even though you may not want to get into the theoretical side of computer science, it's completely understandable if the university forces you to do so. If the math class in question is part of the computer science department itself, then chances are it'll be a highly watered down version of the equivalent found in the math department. Doubt you'll need to worry. Syllabus will probably involve an introduction to mathematical logic, set theory, and stuff like mathematical induction. I wouldn't know though, I haven't taken a computer science class outside of high school.

Well the course is actually called "Application of Discrete Structures" and it is largely what you described and seems to be based on programming situations (actually here is a page from the textbook http://www.cise.ufl.edu/class/cot3100sp09/Homeworks/Chapter_4_1.pdf Just reading that shit made me annoyed) I understand that it is good to know the theoretical and logical stuff behind the mathematical side of programming, but I think I could manage just fine in subsequent classes without writing proofs. I'm not worried about the difficulty, I just want to take certain classes before I graduate. Oh well.

I know Scorehero has some expert programmers. Anyone do it for a living? What kind of job do you have?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the discussion on proofs and discrete math. When I had to take it a year ago I went 'I understand how this applies but I already know boolean operations and how to get from the first step of a proof to the last, why do I need to write all of this out?'. I'm not saying it's useless, but in the comp sci./eng. field, if you're capable of planning it out in your head or writing it out in your own words, following the exact steps of writing proofs seems a bit unnecessary.

socrstopr wrote:
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have to take Data Structures next semester. Can anyone with experience in this explain what I will be doing in this class? I talked to my advisor (who is also my programming teacher AND the teacher of this class, so that's good) and he said that, while we are learning Arrays in Programming now, we will apply arrays even further in Data Structures.

Can anyone add more to this or something?
Urisma  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably consist of using arrays, vectors, linked lists and the like, and how to code algorithms for sorting, fetching, matrix math, optimizations, binary search trees, and file formats. Possibly data compression too (That's all just a guess. I haven't taken the course).

Anyway, I learn C/C++ on my own time, along with Python (a little). I learn Java in school, and I hate it (mostly because I dislike how it's being taught). I have a particular interest in emulators; wrote my own 6502 interpreter, planning on making it into a dynarec sooner or later.

I also know some 6502 assembly. That's fun stuff (no joke!)
FBMrider86  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urisma wrote:
It would probably consist of using arrays, vectors, linked lists and the like, and how to code algorithms for sorting, fetching, matrix math, optimizations, binary search trees, and file formats. Possibly data compression too (That's all just a guess. I haven't taken the course).

Add to that stacks and queues. Data Structures is all about storage and manipulating of the structures. Linked lists are something I always sort of struggled with. In theory they aren't difficult, but adding and deleting nodes within a Linked list always took me a few tries before I got them right.

Urisma wrote:
I have a particular interest in emulators; wrote my own 6502 interpreter, planning on making it into a dynarec sooner or later.

I also know some 6502 assembly. That's fun stuff (no joke!)

That's awesome. I don't think I'd have the patience for that.

socrstopr wrote:
FlimFlam  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking Java right now, but I started by teaching myself TI-BASIC. I got decent with it, and made blackjack, hangman, and lingo. I had a huge RPG on there too, but my calc wiped its memory and I lost it. The others I got back because I gave them to my friends to play.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: