Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Programming Thread / Project Euler Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started checking out this thread for the first time today and I'm impressed with how much some of you have learned in the 'short' time this has been around... very cool!

Anyways, the reason I came here today is to see if any of you might have some advice you'd be willing to share.

My company (a small/medium sized logistics software provider) has decided that they would like to start a testing/quality assurance department and want me to be the first candidate. They chose me because of my persistent interest in various IT fields, above-average IT knowledge, & my customer service/logistics background.

That wasn't meant to sound pompous, but to just let you know that I have some qualifications (not completely fresh). On the other hand, though, I really have no clue/experience with manual testing or automation. I am trying to do as much research and learning as possible before I start transitioning just so I am ahead of the curve and can hopefully catch on faster, but I wasn't sure if maybe some of you had some insight, links, or books you'd recommend?

With some basic preliminary Google research, so far, I've come across, these:

* www.guru99.com
* www.qatutor.com/
* www.successful-quality-assurance.com/
* www.sqaforums.com/
* www.qaforums.com/
* Also learning about Selenium (web automation tool)

Anything would be GREATLY appreciated!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudFuel wrote:
That wasn't meant to sound pompous, but to just let you know that I have some qualifications (not completely fresh). On the other hand, though, I really have no clue/experience with manual testing or automation. I am trying to do as much research and learning as possible before I start transitioning just so I am ahead of the curve and can hopefully catch on faster, but I wasn't sure if maybe some of you had some insight, links, or books you'd recommend?

I ran QA at my startup for 18 months. This book was good:

http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Learned-Software-Testing-Kaner/dp/0471081124

Some things to consider:

* Does your software have formal requirements? If so your job is to make sure these are satisfied. If not, do you have the ability to influence the process to be more requirements-based?
* QA is not about making the product high-quality; that's someone else's job. QA is about having as accurate as possible a measurement of quality as possible at all times. This is why requirements are important. You should be all about providing information, particularly quantifiable information.
* QA is often about process improvement and automation. Whether you can automate and what kind of things you can automate depend on the technologies you use (which you don't mention here). Automation has its own trade-offs which are important to consider; namely, the cost of implementing automation, and of keeping an automated system up to date, OFTEN outweigh the value it provides. Deciding whether and what to automate is a QA process design decision as important to get right (and sometimes difficult) as anything you'd do in development.

Stepping back there are two sets of skills you need. One is good quality assurance chops; understanding what you are there to do, that would apply irrespective of technology (and even outside of computers altogether if you think of quality assurance at a factory making widgets etc.). The second is the specific technical skills you will need to understand what you are testing, how to automate things, etc.

I could probably come up with more given time. It's an interesting subject. From a career perspective be careful to manage your role and how it is perceived. At some places testers are unjustly seen as less important than developers. In reality good QA people are vital and hard to find.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but i'm taking Parallel Programming this semester. We'll be using 2 different... APIs I think they are? MPI and OpenMP. Anyone have any experience with them?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
Not sure if I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but i'm taking Parallel Programming this semester. We'll be using 2 different... APIs I think they are? MPI and OpenMP. Anyone have any experience with them?

I wrote some stuff with MPI about 12 years ago but I don't remember anything about it .
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
Sarg338 wrote:

I wrote some stuff with MPI about 12 years ago but I don't remember anything about it .

TOTALLY missed this post.

So far it's not bad. Seems to be just including the MPI header file, a few lines of code to set stuff up, and then just regular C++, along with some Command Line stuff when I run it on our local cluster.

EDIT: I do have a question for those who still read it. I'm writing a program using MPI to find Semiperfect numbers from x to y. When each process finds one, it's suppose to store it in a process-specific array, that's "Suppose to be dynamic in nature".

Now, this is embarrassing since I would think I would know how to do Dynamic Arrays by now... but I don't. I know for a regular, static array I would just do int array[10].

How would I create a dynamic one? I saw a post online saying that it would just be: int* array = new int[10], with an appropriate delete statement when I'm done.

How is that second one different from the first one? Again, I feel stupid for asking this since I'd think I should know that already haha. If you go over the allotted size in the second example, does it just tack on one extra (Or however you need) automatically instead of going out of bound? How does that make it dynamic?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you not able to use vectors?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Leprosy916 PSN Name: Leprosy916
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leprosy916 wrote:
Are you not able to use vectors?

Nope! The assignment specifically said dynamic arrays. Because at the end, we are suppose to have all of the difference processes send their specific array to the ROOT process and have it bring it all together into 1 big array.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CIS101..
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
Leprosy916  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fredosaurus.com/notes-cpp/newdelete/50dynamalloc.html
http://www.fredosaurus.com/notes-cpp/newdelete/55dynexample.html

Dynamically allocating the array with new is the only other way I know of. As far as I'm aware, it's pretty much the manual way of doing what a vector does automatically. And if you could use linux, you could just declare the array with a variable size like int array[i] and it will compile. So if you have to have it only run in linux, that's pretty easy. Haha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Leprosy916 PSN Name: Leprosy916
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leprosy916 wrote:

Dynamically allocating the array with new is the only other way I know of. As far as I'm aware, it's pretty much the manual way of doing what a vector does automatically. And if you could use linux, you could just declare the array with a variable size like int array[i] and it will compile. So if you have to have it only run in linux, that's pretty easy. Haha

Well, our computer cluster does run on Unix I believe he said, so it should work on that, correct?

Anyways, I always thought you would use a dynamic array when you DIDN'T know how large it would have to be. So the confusing part to me is that you still have to declare how big it has to be?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
Leprosy916 wrote:

Well, our computer cluster does run on Unix I believe he said, so it should work on that, correct?

Anyways, I always thought you would use a dynamic array when you DIDN'T know how large it would have to be. So the confusing part to me is that you still have to declare how big it has to be?

All you are really doing with new is using a counter to check if the array is the maximum size that you originally allowed. Then that if statement will lead to a function that creates a new array of a larger size,copies the values from the old array top the new one, then deletes the old array. So you don't have to know how big it will be. You set it to an initial size and then allow it to grow from there if it needs to. You could even just make the new array increment by only one if you want to be as efficient with memory and inefficient with processing power as possible.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Programming Team tryouts for my college is coming up in 2 weeks, and since it's my senior year, might as well try out! The teacher in charge of this emailed everyone in the CS department sample questions and questions used in previous years. I'll had to brush up on my data structure knowledge (Mainly Stacks it looks like. One of the past problems was figuring out if something was a palindrome, which is easily done with Stacks if I remember correctly), but does anyone here have any advice on good-to-know, built-in libraries (I know Math.h and Vector are the main 2 I've used besides the usual ones) that would help?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody here help me in Two's Compliment Arithmetic? I'm taking a course and I am absolutely dumbfounded by this having little programming background. My first two problems are subtraction in base 10 & base 2.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarg338 wrote:
EDIT: I do have a question for those who still read it. I'm writing a program using MPI to find Semiperfect numbers from x to y. When each process finds one, it's suppose to store it in a process-specific array, that's "Suppose to be dynamic in nature".

If your array has to be able to grow and shrink at run-time, you will need some kind of data structure. This makes it a mystery as to why you would not be allowed to use STL data structures. If they really want you to roll your own, it shouldn't be too tough to wrap an array in a class and then overload the [] operator, and add code to dynamically resize it when someone tries to add the n+1st element. Note that if you are being prohibited from using the std:: namespace you may find it easier to use C memory management calls like malloc, realloc, memset, and memcpy (you should never mix C and C++ memory management functions).

I haven't done a lot of C++ in recent years but my impression is that if you new an array of size X and then insert at position [x] you are out of bounds the same way you'd be in C.
Sarg338  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyWaffle wrote:
Can anybody here help me in Two's Compliment Arithmetic? I'm taking a course and I am absolutely dumbfounded by this having little programming background. My first two problems are subtraction in base 10 & base 2.

Had to do this in networking, and once you understand it, it's not that hard.

From Here:

Quote:
To calculate the 2's complement of an integer, invert the binary equivalent of the number by changing all of the ones to zeroes and all of the zeroes to ones (also called 1's complement), and then add one.

For example,

0001 0001(binary 17) 1110 1111(two's complement -17)

NOT(0001 0001) = 1110 1110 (Invert bits)
1110 1110 + 0000 0001 = 1110 1111 (Add 1)

When working with a Signed integer, the leftmost bit tells you whether it's positive or negative. If it's 0, then it's equal to or greater than 0. If it's 1, then it's a negative number.

2's complement is just used to flip a positive number to it's negative binary counterpart (and vice versa).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: