Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Top 10 favorite bands?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thirdkoopa  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Top 10 favorite bands? Reply with quote

Copy and pasta from a few other sites I go on but whatever.
I'll start with my list; (No particular order)

Rise Against
Megadeth
Queens of the Stone Age
Blue Oyster Cult
Arctic Monkeys
We Are Scientists
Franz Ferdinand
Interpol
Alice in Chains
The Rolling Stones

I realized I like alternative a lot. Now list yours; Feel free to add reasons.

Location: San Jose, CA (More specificly, Scotts Valley but their close enough together.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of these "top 10" lists in this section of the forums but whatever.

1.Megadeth
2.Iron Maiden
3.Foo Fighters
4.Iced Earth
5.Metallica
6.AC/DC
7.Overkill
8.Motorhead
9.Testament
10.Mastodon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread may have been done before.

Oh well.

10. Protest the Hero
Favourite song: The Divine Suicide of K.
Favourite album: Kezia

9. Between the Buried and Me
Favourite song: Disease, Injury, Madness
Favourite album: The Great Misdirect

8. Megadeth
Favourite song: Devil's Island
Favourite album: Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

7. Opeth
Favourite song: The Leaper Affinity
Favourite album: Blackwater Park (is this NOT anyones favourite Opeth album?)

6. Cannibal Corpse
Favourite song: Vomit the Soul
Favourite album: Butchered at Birth

5. Behemoth
Favourite song: Sculpting the Throne ov Seth
Favourite album: Demigod

4. Slayer
Favourite song: Seasons in the Abyss
Favourite album: Seasons in the Abyss

3. Atheist
Favourite song: Mother Man
Favourite album: Unquestionable Presence

2. Tool
Favourite song: Disposition/Reflection/Triad
Favourite album: Lateralus

1. Mastodon
Favourite song: Elephant Man/The Last Baron (this changes so much)
Favourite album: Blood Mountain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowstep wrote:
I think this thread may have been done before.

Kind of.

I like your enthusiasm, but maybe we could come up with something additional to talk about? Most people's top 10 can be assessed by looking at their last.fm page or looking at the song or album thread.

So what's the catch? Maybe try to come up with something clever to create more thought, such as "if you could pick 5 bands to immortalize, which ones would it be?" I think people would have some different answers in that case. I have bands I listen to a lot, but I wouldn't really care to see live, or even follow them closely enough to pick up their next album. So they might be in my "favorites" list, but I wouldn't grant them immortality. There's a lot of stuff to add that's deeper than the term "favorite." Something to think about anyway.

I am just trying to help think of something else to keep this from being locked or just people coming in and posting lists with nothing else, which gets old really fast.

If you must know my top 10 favorite bands, just look at my last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Hailz_SH

But going off of my hypothetical question posed earlier, What are 5 bands I would immortalize, given the chance and why? You'll find a lot of my picks are bands that have either broken up, had member(s) die or both. Seeing these groups making more music forever... would be amazing.

1. The first one is a no-brainer. I'd definitely bring The Beatles back to life. Whether or not they'd like working together I don't know. But in my hypothetical world lets say they got together on friendly terms and wrote songs for eternity. Can you imagine how awesome that would be?

2. Queen

3. Boston

4. Journey

5. Shinedown

These bands all have something in common, besides being some of my favorites. They all would surely put on incredible live shows. I mean we have The-fucking-BEATLES, 3 other legendary bands, and Shinedown, who has been making music for 9 years and puts on the most high energy show I've ever seen. If these bands could continue playing music and touring for eternity I think we'd all be in for a treat. I'll admit that last pick was just for my personal enjoyment, but those others are timeless.

What about you? Choose carefully. If you decide in about 20 years you don't like said band anymore, looks like you're stuck hearing their music forever.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Danyh  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - Bullet for my Valentine
2 - Oasis
3 - Metallica
4 - Slipknot
5 - Evanescence
6 - Panic At The Disco
7 - Hoobastank
8 - The White Stripes
9 - Paramore
10 - Rise Against

close : System of a Down, My Chemical Romance, MGMT, Aerosmith.

Fugitive  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list is ever changing as I discover and listen to new music. This will never be set in stone.

1. The Antlers - Favorite Song: Two - my explanation from the 'Favorite Band' thread:
Fugitive wrote:
The Antlers

It started last year with their release in March, Hospice. I was captivated on the first listen of their album. It was so deep, and emotional. I actually cried listening through it. It's the story about a hospice worker meeting a girl with bone cancer, falling in love, and watching her die. Not only that, but the music itself is great. The melodies of the guitar match the harmonies perfectly given by the ambient background noises. Peter Silberman is a lyrical genius. His falsetto vocals and deep meanings match perfectly for the tones he conveys.

I bought the album last December (that I previously had just illegally downloaded >_>). I also got the rest of their EPs. The Antlers had 3 EPs released before. I HIGHLY recommend clicking that link above, and going to download them. All the EPs are FREE from the links on their Myspace. In the Attic of the Universe is almost on par with Hospice musically, though lyrically it falls behind, it's still a masterpiece in my mind. New York Hospitals is kind of a pre-Hospice work that seems like it turned into Hospice, and Cold War is my lease favorite, but still stunning.

I could listen to The Antlers all day everyday. They touch me so deeply and have such a powerful impact that they are hands down my favorite band.

2. Wintersun
- Favorite song: Battle Against Time - My explanation from 'Your Favorite Bands/Musicians/Artists' Thread:
Fugitive wrote:
Wintersun - Probably my favorite metal band. Again, a band with a single album, but it's genius. The album is a product of Jari Mäenpää, and ex-Ensiferum member. It combines all genres of metal for a complex, fast while melodic feel. I find it to be truly a work of genius, and almost every instrument (guitar, bass, keyboard, and vocals) is performed by Jari himself while he had his friend record the drum tracks. I absolultely cannot wait for Time, his next album, which should be out soon, but has been delayed over 3 years.

Bands 3-10: These are in no particular order:

--Buckethead - Favorite Song: Spell of the Gypsies
Code:
Yes, everyone has heard of Buckethead. Now, he gets mentioned here despite me not loving, or even liking, all of his music. The songs I do like, I love. His music just speaks to me on so many different levels. I think he can make me feel things with his guitar that I've never felt before. The album Electric Tears is my fiancee and my album; it's so deep and meaningful.

--Bloc Party - Favorite Song: Trojan Horse
Code:
Well, most people consider Bloc Party to only have one good album, Silent Alarm, but I find that I like all of their material. I may even like Intimacy more than I like Silent Alarm. The guitar is so unique that I can't compare it to any other band that I've heard, and the singer really strikes a chord with me for some reason. I really like his voice. I think it's the slur with the slight British accent among some other qualities I just can't describe. All around a very enjoyable band.

--Bon Iver - Favorite Song: Skinny Love
Code:
This is the artist I've found most similar to The Antlers in that it has the folk/indie rock feel, so I have to love him, right? Well, I do... almost as much. The album For Emma, Forever Ago is a masterpiece chalk full of emotion. His falsetto vocals and mellow harmonies really set the mood and he's created an album that I can listen to over and over without tiring. His EP, Blood Bank, is almost as good and I eagerly await any further releases.

He also has a side project with Collections of Colonies of Bees that's notable called Volcano Choir, that I'll refrain from adding to my top 10 bands because it's mostly Justin Vernon's (Bon Iver lead guy) project as well.

--Vampire Weekend - Favorite Song: Horchata
Code:
Another very unique band, though in a different way (of course) between their vocals and guitar playing. I really enjoy the style of the singer and overall composition of the songs. I can't really decide what album of theirs I like more, Contra or their self-titled album, because they're both great. The group just strikes me as eccentric, and their videos prove it now, and I love it.

--Arcade Fire - Favorite Song: - Wake Up
Code:
This is another band that I can't help but feel is similar to The Antlers. My favorite album is Funeral, overwhelmingly, but that's not to say I don't like their other albums. They have less unique of a sound to me than most bands on my list, but I don't feel that takes away from the quality of their music. I still feel their albums burn with emotions and this band can make me feel enthusiastic and alive one moment and weep the next. I love the combination of male and female singing as well (I believe it's a husband and wife... which is awesome).

--Machine Head - Favorite Song: Halo
Code:
Fun Fact: I didn't listen to this band when I first got the chance on Music Choice because I mixed up their name with the song Machinehead by Bush and thought the band Bush was named Machine Head... and wasn't interested in listening to any Bush songs. Well, they caught my interested with Aesthetics of Hate in Rock Band, and I promptly got The Blackening. This shot to a top spot on my favorite album's list and this band because one of my favorite metal bands. The vocals are very unique in that it's not quite the same screaming as a lot of metal bands, but it's surely not singing. The instrumentation is brilliant. The lyrics are actually really good in most songs too if you take the time to read them.

--Modest Mouse
- Favorite Song: Dark Center of the Universe
Code:
Easily the most interesting vocals of any band out there. It's really the brilliant songwriting that sucked me in though. The composition of the songs and the lyricism is genius and deep. The Moon and Antarctica is my favorite album, if I had to pick, but I could honestly say I love any album almost as much. This band can pick me up from any slump and mellow me out whenever. Just pure excellence in a band.

--Blind Guardian - Favorite Song: Battlefield
Code:
Yes, I had to include a Power Metal band. Call it a guilty pleasure, but I like Power Metal, no matter the bad rep that it receives most of the time. It pumps me up and sounds great. Sometimes I just want to hear music being played as fast as possible, and this is where I turn. Blind Guardian makes the list because they are my favorite Power Metal band, along with Demons & Wizards which is Hansi Kürsch's (The lead singer) side project. They are fairly unique from other Power Metal bands in the great song writing (which most don't have) and vocals. I fell in love with them upon first listen.

Honorable Mentions: (bands considered for the list)
-Adramelch -Animal Collective -Cacophony -Cellador -Death Cab for Cutie -Dethklok -Dirty Projectors -Dragonforce -Franz Ferdinand -Grizzly Bear -In This Style -Iron Maiden -Islands -Japandroids -Muse -My Bloody Valentine -Neutral Milk Hotel -Nightwish -Opeth -Panda Bear -Pavement -Porcupine Tree -Portugal. The Man -Protest the Hero -Prototype -Rachmaninov -Radiohead -Real Estate -Shinedown -Silversun Pickups -Skeletonwitch -The Slip -St. Vincent -Sunset Rubdown -The Sword -Tenacious D -Tool -The XX -Viatrophy -Volcano Choir -The Who -Yeah Yeah Yeahs

inb4noonereadsmassivewalloftext(thattookmeforever)
Klaww  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Nirvana
My dad is a big fan, so i've been listening to nirvana since before I was 1, obviously affecting my taste for it. favorite song: Lounge Act
2. Coheed and Cambria
A personal touching band, all started by rock band Favorite song: The end complete IV
3. The Beatles
Just like 'em. Too many songs to pick a favorite.
4. Pink Floyd
Just an amazing band Favorite song: The wall(a joke refering to the fact it all transitisions, sounding like one song.
5.Van Halen
I like DLRs singing and EVHs guitar, mostly. Favorite song: Im the One
6. Vampire Weekend
Very original Favorite song: Oxford Comma
7. Sick Puppies
A good band, reminds me of nirvana, obviously i like it. Favorite song: Riptide
8. The Ramones
Amazing punk band favorite song: Teenage Lobotomy
9. Weezer
Always listened to it when I was young, just kinda stuck. favorite song: No One Else
10. Primus(I think)
Les Claypool. period. Favorite song: DMV

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-Tool
2-Arctic Monkeys
3-System of a Down
4-Interpol
5-Mastodon
6-The Mars Volta
7-AFI(well, Sing the Sorrow in my opinion is one of the best albums ever, dont like their older or newer stuff xD)
8-Trivium
9-Metallica
10-Kings of Leon( their older albums)
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go ahead with Hailz' idea of five bands I'd immortalize.

1. Paramore
Easily my favorite band. Period. These guys (and girl) know how to write music. All three of their studio albums are on my top ten albums list, and I never tire of listening to them.

2. Radio Suicide
These guys are very talented, and it upsets me that they didn't get more than two albums before they broke up. I saw one fo their shows, and I loved it. They can write, and they can perform. They're very fun.

3. Chris Maroglin and the Dregs
New album out in June, and I can't fucking wait. This is actually my English teacher's band, and I love them. My teacher plays guitar and sings, and he's damn good at it. His songs are insperational and great sounding.

4. Majesty
Yeah, that's right. Sudden love for death metal. They know how to write, and I love listening to them. (bl1ndz0rz, I love you, haha)

5. Silversun Pickups
Amazing stuff, as I'm sure everyone on ScoreHero knows.

I love how there are four rock/ soft rock bands, and a death metal band on this list.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
crash13  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#. Artist - Favorite Song
1. Fall Out Boy - The Music or the Misery
2. Blink-182 - What's My Age Again?
3. Foo Fighters - Best of You
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Soul to Squeeze
5. The Beatles - All My Loving
6. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
7. Green Day - Basket Case
8. Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life
9. Mayday Parade - When I Get Home You're So Dead
10. The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Atrophy

Last edited by crash13 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: crash199313 PSN Name: crash53456
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) The Beatles
2.) Weezer
3.) Neutral Milk Hotel
4.) Between the Buried and Me
5.) CAKE
6.) Led Zeppelin
7.) Pink Floyd
8.) Protest the Hero
9.) System of a Down
10.) Rush

Full descriptions coming later; it's too late to write out full band descriptions.

Fugitive wrote:
This list is ever changing as I discover and listen to new music. This will never be set in stone.

Also, this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 bands I would immortalize. Oh this is a doozy.

After careful thought and consideration, no order:

Mastodon
These guys continually get better in my eyes to the point where I can't take Crack the Skye off of repeat. I have doubts that they can stay in this pattern, but anything they make I can't see not being top notch progressive music.

Death
Most people probably understand why. Chuck continually wrote great music. His vocals are a one of a kind style. No album let down.

The Who
They probably already are immortalized, but dang it would be awesome to have them around still. They are pretty much a super group making some of, if not the, best rock n roll known to man.

Slough Feg
Two decades in and they haven't let down on a single beat. Consistently amazing Traditional Heavy Metal rivaling that of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest. They have powered through the mud of the 90s and stayed true to who they are and what they play. I don't see them ever letting down.

The Mars Volta
One of a kind band that I don't believe will ever be truly duplicated. Prog-Rock played with expertise. I really don't know what else there is to say about them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no order

-Racer X
-Children of Bodom
-Death
-Dethklok
-Dragonforce (I Know I will get Shit for this)
-Gojira
-Slayer
-DreamTheater
-Judas Priest
-Amon Amarth

Children Of Bodom more towards the top
MetalMan15  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first 5 all count as #1 because I love them equally, but if I had to choose an absolute favorite it would be Exodus.

1. Metallica
2. Death
3. Slayer
4. Exodus - Two words: Gary Holt.
5. Megadeth
6. Pantera
7. Sepultura
8. Pink Floyd
9. Black Sabbath
10. Chimaira
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't listen to anything later than early 80s.

1. The Beatles - Not even a question

The following in no real particular order:

2. Lynyrd Skynyrd
3. Grass Roots
4. 10 Years After
5. Journey
6. Fleetwood Mac
7. Steve Miller Band
8. The Eagles
9. Creedance Clearwater Revival
10. Moody Blues (?) - This is ranked high but maybe not top 10 material
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: