ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
What do you want to see in Guitar Hero 6 Vocals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bananenbrot  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, no overall career score was the thing that saddened me most in gh5!
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, the thing that needs the most improvement is the filling in of the tunnels. The earlier games had it right, but GH5 is yellow... filled in with yellow. That's really not okay and it gets tough to even discern if you're doing it right. They need to pick a color as far away from the tunnel's color on the color wheel as possible so it's much easier to tell if you're flat or sharp.

That's my only problem with GH5 vocals.

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs

Last edited by yksi-kaksi-kolme on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Cam-H  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I have paraphrased a post from the Suggestions for designing the ideal GH vocals system? thread, also started by BOYOBOYY which covers much of the same territory):

I believe most of the points have been well covered already (my pet gripe being the 'yellow on yellow' / 'blue on blue', but others such as connecting line between pitches, a more meaningful 'comet' and The Beatles' pitch lines, useful but not broken hypes/freeforms, better feedback in practice mode, pitched "woo hoo" type phrases, and so on, I concur with).

Low pitched phrases are still not being picked up for me on my Wii with a standard GH:WT mic given I'm a low octave singer. Loads of examples such as; "Down with me" in 'Everlong', or "the bottom of the sea" in 'A-Punk' require a very unnatural octave shift or singing the song in a higher if not falsetto voice outside of (my) most natural range. I am aware that this might not be the case for other consoles or customised microphones.

Starpower should be giving points through a phrase rather than at the end of it. Firing off the multiplier at the end of a long held note (especially when you know you haven't 'fluffed' it) to score big points rather than while singing the note doesn't make sense.

On practice mode I would like to see an optional (limited) recording feature, so I can playback my own vocals and compare my performance against the charted song (acknowledging that this could be very memory hungry).

Volume controls on instruments should go all the way up or down - at least in practice mode, so if I just want to hear the vocal track I can. This could also include removing the harmonies (refer. end of 'Why Bother?').

The whole rapping thing in my view is bizarre. I'm aware that pitching rap is viewed by some as "stupid", but something needs to be done to make these songs meaningful to the game for vocalists. Don't link career challenges to rap songs (i.e. 'Bring the Noise 20XX') while rap is so poorly implemented.

Measures to stop the hum-fest. I mentioned in another thread that voice recognition software has surely got to a point where a computer should be able to pick up hard noises and discern whether the vocalist is humming/mumbling or actually trying to articulate the lyrics.
UnknownLefty95  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see EXPERT PLUS vocals. How you ask? Well, for a real challenge to vocalists, make all talkies PITCHED in Expert+ vocals. That Would make songs like Gratitude and Feel Good Inc. way more challenging and interesting.

And Sultans of Swing and Sweating Bullets would be murder.

I also agree that the tunnel should be a different colour (yes im Aussie, i spell colour with a u, big deal) to what you sing, and that measures should be taken to reduce humming (unless of course, a particular part of a song has hums in it).

Much better username than my SH one, don't ya think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: MrElectricNick
holydevel  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

improvements... where do i begin?

Better recognition when you're hitting a note
A yellow bar being filled up with yellow is incredibly hard to judge when it comes to a point where you are either slightly above or slightly below the note

A background to the vocal track
By this i mean there needs to be a solid colour behind all the notes because it rendered some venues where there was a lot of yellow light unplayable due to you not being able to see what you were singing as it would be yellow on yellow (on yellow)

'Hype' Phrases
I dont know about anyone else but ive found that if you dont sing anything (atleast on the wii version) in those phrases you get MORE movement on your meter than if you make noise

No small phrases (unless they are talkie phrases)
Simply put it is very hard to pitch yourself and still hit 80% of a note when the not only lasts for a tenth of a second.

No Megadeth with pitched talkies (or any other band)
Not only was it hard to figure out what you were meant to be saying it meant that i couldn't really enjoy the songs and pretend to be the vocalist because i was spending my time trying to figure out what i was singing

MAKE SURE that the notes align to what is being sung, not just what the original score for the song was
If the vocalist at some point in a song decides to give some character into a stale phrase i want to be able to give that same character into the phrase. e.g. if he moves his pitch up slightly to sound better then the track needs to reflect this

Harmonies
nuff said

wow i never realised how flawed i think the engine is... wow

and also unkownlefty i would hate that idea for expert + with pitched talkies, maybe extra points if you get them pitched but you should still be able to improvise when there is a talkie section (funny voices ftw)

Seriously, it causes so much drama.
Warhiem  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A microphone sensitivity meter like in Rockband?

Or just improving the vocals system on the Wii, I still think something is wrong with it. There seems to be a great deal of lag, I always have to sing early.

Cam-H  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm inclined to agree with Warheim that there's something not quite right with the Wii version. Wooffus keeps getting impressive scores, so I don't want to be a 'workman who blames their tools' too much and acknowledge that in my case there's a fairly sizeable human element involved! ... but trying to do vocals while my partner plays guitar and both of us struggling with each other's lag issues on the Wii is pretty frustrating.

I've also thrice now grizzled in this forum that I'm finding it is poor with recognising very low octaves, that doesn't seem to be an issue with the Xbox. yksi-kaksi-kolme indicated that he uses a customised microphone and has not had this problem, so again, not accusing the Wii but suspicious of it.
Wooffus  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify something here about the whole lag issues that the Wii version had. I've only ever had to adjust the callibration for World Tour, Metallica and Van Halen, but otherwise the timing seemed fine.

I do remember though that doing voxtar/voxbass on World Tour was impossible for me, not because my timing sucked but because of the whole lag issue with it. On the opposite side of the spectrum, playing on GH5 and BH with younger relatives didn't spur much of a problem at all.

Having said that, I do agree that the strictness of the engine for the Wii versions of GH5 and BH don't necessarily make them the more comfortable engines to deal with, so I'm all in for a slight improvement in regards to vocal leniancy. I'm just hoping it doesn't go back to the WT days and the ridiculous amount of forgiveness with its pitch detection.

holydevel wrote:
MAKE SURE that the notes align to what is being sung, not just what the original score for the song was
If the vocalist at some point in a song decides to give some character into a stale phrase i want to be able to give that same character into the phrase. e.g. if he moves his pitch up slightly to sound better then the track needs to reflect this

I thought I'd reply to this too while I'm here.
Having to follow artists' expressions exactly would actually make them sound *harder* to pull off than holding onto a stale note. I do know what you mean though, but there are still vocalists in the community that add their *own* sense of expression when they're singing, which adds more to the entertainment value. So for that, I'd rather pass.[/quote]

Click the card for my accomplishment thread!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Wii Friend Code: 4393435608820667
Doremi  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooffus wrote:
I'm all in for a slight improvement in regards to vocal leniancy. I'm just hoping it doesn't go back to the WT days and the ridiculous amount of forgiveness with its pitch detection

This kind of surprised me, for I don't find WT lenient with pitch detection.
Actually I found the new engines (GH5 and BH) more forgiving.
I'm on Xbox, so this might be console related. I do recall people on Wii having less problems with WT, so it might very well be that.
VeryMetalChewie  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things I'd like brought back that count for all instruments, not just for vox:

Showing your high scores in career mode, instead of just your best star rating.

Battles! Not quite sure how this would work for vox but I'm sure someone can figure a way.

And a suggestion for a more accurate replication of real singing (but would actually make my life much harder) - treat vocals the same as the other instruments in terms of over"strums", i.e. penalties for hitting a note early/holding too late, (outside of freeform/hype sections) - being able to start early and tune in by the time the note starts should really be considered cheating imo.
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeryMetalChewie wrote:
Battles! Not quite sure how this would work for vox but I'm sure someone can figure a way.

Original octave power-up, "amp" overload, moving vocal track, difficulty up of course, muted vocals power-up, maybe one where you have to sing louder?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
VeryMetalChewie  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more about the song/track itself - actually singing something? or scatting/yodelling? but you're suggestions are great! I just hope someone up there is listening.
Cam-H  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doremi wrote:
I don't find WT lenient with pitch detection.
Actually I found the new engines (GH5 and BH) more forgiving.
I'm on Xbox, so this might be console related. I do recall people on Wii having less problems with WT, so it might very well be that.

I cannot overstate the chasm in difficulty for Wii users (well me on my Wii at any rate) going from World Tour to Guitar Hero 5. Whether this has brought the Wii into line with the Xbox, or gone from much more forgiving to much less forgiving than the Xbox, I'm simply not in a position to say.

As such, we can probably throw another suggestion on the list ... make the difficulty and leniency from console-to-console the same (assuming that they're not already).

Probably coming back to the core point, we'd want them to design a system that doesn't reward vocalists that sound like cr@p and still score well ... and I'm as guilty of this as the next person ... my 'Under Pressure' has my partner cringing.
tidus  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not go that way, even admitting that I don't like having to deliberatedly sounding bad to FC a song. While these ideas please whoever is listening/watching us singing, wouldn't they make the most complicated and frustrating vocal system ever?

At least, that's my opinion, because I'd see some kind of "de-globalization" there, and less and less players playing that game on vocals altogether, including me, who doesn't have a good singing voice, and am not an english speaking person. To begin with, why would one need to have years of singing lessons (AND english speaking classes in the case of a non-english player) to get THE voice to sound good on pretty much anything, just to even touch a game? This is a game, and I think this is meant to be simple, not a discouraging experience that reinforces the short-minded concept of "something that requires a professional singer to score well" that I hear from some people. Honestly.

| 57 RB1 on-disk FC's, plus 4 RB Vox FGFC's. No way I don't feel accomplished! =)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: TidusKamikaze
Doremi  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree with tidus.
If we have to learn by heart all the words for each song and pronounce them perfectly so as to be able to pass it, some of us that not only aren't mother tongue english speakers but don't have a lifetime to spend on a game, would barely get one game finished in one year.

I am not either a crap singer nor a pro one and while I love pronouncing all words in some songs I like or know, there are many others that I sing along without pronouncing words and doing all my best to pass them.

Also, hitting a note early/holding too late is not cheating IMO, it's the only possible way to be able to get certain impossible phrases.
As tidus says, this is a game, if we became as good as professional singers I think we wouldn't even have the time to spend here for we would be somewhere else singing or recording.

So yes, I don't think it would be a good idea to make the game only suited for pro singers, in this way the GH and RB franchise would definitively drown in the abyss, it would be as if they required the geetar part to be identical to the real guitar playing...ehm! Imagine playing GH like Satriani!

I actually think that it's already tough enough as it is and just needs some improvements that would eliminate some bugs and problems that are giving us a hard time, and many of the previous suggestions seem great to me, we would get very close to perfection since to me GH5 is very close to it.
But by making it such as to give us an even harder time would make it become an impossible game for an elite of supertalented singers.

Last edited by Doremi on Sun May 09, 2010 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Vocals All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: