ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
25 years of Gavroche kicking your dick in: LES MISERABLES!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonMeringue  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: 25 years of Gavroche kicking your dick in: LES MISERABLES! Reply with quote

One day, while watching the musical "Oliver!", songwriter Alain Boublil (heh boub) was suddenly struck by the genius idea of a Les Miserables musical. After sharing the idea with Claude-Michel Schonberg, they began to study Victor Hugo's masterpiece. After two years of studying the novel, making profiles for every character, and probably getting insanely blazed, a concept album was released in 1980, and the musical began running that same year in France, where it was immediately a huge hit.

Of course, most of us don't live in France, and were only lucky enough to have our minds blown to shit five years later, after the French version was almost completely rewritten and vastly expanded upon. The result was the musical juggernaut that has become the longest running musical on the West End EVER, and the third longest on Broadway (Phantom is alright, fuck Cats). It has been performed in 38 countries in over 20 languages.

In January of this year, it celebrated its 10,000th performance in England. This year also marks the 25th anniversary of the show (the French version doesn't count), and is going on a tour around the UK (and briefly to Paris) to celebrate.

Anyway generally talk about how great Les Miserables is here, discuss your favorite performers/recordings, etc.

Notable Recordings:

Original French Concept - Haven't listened to
Original London Cast - The first English language recording, extended version of Little People which was later cut. "I Saw Him Once" is on this album, later incorporated into the beginning of "In My Life"
Original Broadway Cast - A more contemporary version, the show running in theaters today is very similar to this.
Tenth Anniversary Performance at Albert Hall - "The Dream Cast" recording, it has a cast picked by Cameron Mackintosh, the concert included a Encore of "Do You Hear The People Sing?" performed by 17 Valjeans in their native language (the American Valjean was overweight ) This version is more complete than the London and Broadway cast recordings, which leave out parts of the score that are more used for narration or background. It was of course recorded live, with no breaks or editing.
Red Ink Complete Symphonic Recording - The only recording of the full score. Supposedly an "International" cast, besides a Japanese Eponine all actors are from the UK, US, or Australia. Notable for being the only English language recording without Colm Wilkinson as Valjean, it is the most complete recording of the musical.
25th Anniversary Cast Recording - Apparently

Personally I prefer the 10th Anniversary edition, as it was the first one I listened to (watching a VHS of the concert which broke down from overuse). Today I listen to both that recording and the Complete Symphonic Recording. Though I also own and have listened to the original London and Broadway casts, I just prefer the others (mainly because of Phillip Quast).

nanos gigantium humeris insidentes
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Lemeng Meringue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: