ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Some Roll Difficulty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g0dly  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Some Roll Difficulty Reply with quote

i can handle most rolls (though i have trouble with keeping up with fast sections sometimes ofcourse), but i have a huge problem with hitting rolls that have an uneven number of blue/green notes. for instance i can't hit a section that i start on right and roll through red, then hit the first blue on right, but there is only 3 blue notes before i have to move to green.

freya has a couple of sections that (assuming you start the roll on right) are difficult to play completely without missing. i end up trying to play 3 blue notes in a row but i can't combo it because i end up playing either 4 or 2 notes.

i need some basic sticking advice on rolls that don't have that natural RLRLRLRL flow. short of memorizing sections that i should lead with the left hand, i want to know if there is a tecnique to consistantly hit sections with odd number of notes on certain pads on rolls.
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simple, really. In the above case when three blues pop up, you should play the last two with your left hand. Alternatively, you can try playing the first two with your right, but most people prefer it the other way round.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
g0dly  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i considered starting the rolls with my left hand but that reely fucks up how i hit the roll since it basically reverses all of my sticking.

when i try to do a double hit it tricks me sometimes too because you end the roll on right instead of left.
Ontwikseltsaar  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you have to double stroke twice. For example, there's this roll in Maiden, Mother & Crone from GH5 that goes like this:

RLRLRLLRLLRLR

^That's the sticking that I use (the zeros are only there to keep the roll in place). That's basic use of a double stroke.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ontwikseltsaar
g0dly  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice, i'll try that out. that Maiden Mother Crone roll was the one i actually realized the difficulty of these types of sections on. its one of my favorite songs and i get like 300 note combos going through the whole thing but have never hit that roll.

i think theres a similar section in freya that i run into the same problem. it gets frustrating when you nail the hard parts and then can't hit a roll just because it has 3 blue notes lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: