ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Types of Music Fans
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Types of Music Fans Reply with quote

So I've noticed some interesting trends in music love and wonder what people's opinions are.

1) Indie kids - Like music no one's ever heard of solely because no one has heard of it; are willing to endlessly bash any band that has any notoriety in their eyes

2) Metalheads - The only good music is HARD COOOOOOOOOOORE

3) Anything goes - Fans of music because they like the music, not because of anything related to the scene or whatnot

4) Idiots - people who like Miley Cyrus >_> NOTE: THIS IS SARCASM. WHAT I'M TRYING TO SHOW ARE THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE MUSIC A LOT OF PEOPLE DISLIKE FOR WHATEVER REASON. THIS IS REALLY NOT A SERIOUS GROUPING.

5) Popular only - They listen to it because other people think it's good and thus have rather limited taste

I hate #1 people. I listen to a lot of stuff that's not overly popular (Streetlight, Portugal, MCS, etc) but I'm also willing to listen to a lot of stuff as long as it's not Miley Cyrus >_> Like last Wednesday half of my AP Psych class sang "I Want It That Way", and I've made sure to listen to stuff like Lady Gaga just to try and understand why it's so popular. Meanwhile, there are a lot of people out there who only like completely unknown bands and who I overhear bashing anything somewhat popular and I can't understand why.

Groups I missed? Talk about them!
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
I hope the April Fool's joke is expertwin becoming a mod

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku

Last edited by this1neguy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I think - and I suspect a good deal of SH would say the same - I fit squarely between groups 2 and 3. My preferred genre of music is metal, because I enjoy it artistically and aesthetically, but I also love alt-rock/post-grunge, grunge, thrash, good punk and Many More!

I'm totally with you in your hatred of people who stop liking a band when it becomes popular. These are people who get a kick out of belonging to a subset of society that is not just elitist but FOUNDED on elitism.

I also have to be honest when I discuss group number 5 - the only thing that attitude says to me is "doormat". Liking something because it's popular is almost as bad, in my eyes, as liking something because it isn't (in the same way as conformism is a more manageable trait in a friend than nonconformism). But hey, if it gets these people laid then it's achieved its presumed purpose.

I hope this thread lasts and stays civil. Also, Miley Cyrus is the shit.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
clawmaster2  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi! Don't call people who listen to pop like Cyrus idiots, it just doesn't look good already. Every music fan has his/her opinion on the artist, if they like someone you don't that doesn't mean they're an idiot.
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to just make massive generalizations about people who listen to certain types of music. In fact, you come off as just as pretentious as those "indie kids" that you hate. I mean, seriously, calling people that listen to Miley Cyrus idiots, knowing nothing more about them than that they listen to Miley Cyrus. Don't be ridiculous.

To address #1. Indie kids tend to listen to music they like, which is a particular type of music that isn't particularly popular. But you generalize the shit out of this group of people. Almost every hardcore indie kid I know loves Radiohead, despite their massive popularity. They didn't start disliking this band even though they've grown to have a fanbase that could rival the Beatles or Metallica. They appreciate music enough that even if good music is popular they like it. Now, this obviously doesn't go for all of them, because I'm not willing to generalize a group of people so heavily, but this tends to be true for most people who listen to indie, including myself.

#2. Yes, I listen to metal too. And heavier =/= better. That's a stupid generalization you just made up too. Metalheads don't just claim "HARD COOOOOOOOORE is the only good music." Bands need to have compositional, technical, and many other skills to be considered "good" by metalhead standards. If I screamed my ass off into a mic, beat the shit out of some drums, and wailed away on the heaviest chords on a bass and guitar, then mixed that together, that wouldn't make it good by metalhead standards... in fact, that would make a terrible song. That would be heavy as shit, but not good.

I don't think I need to really address #3, #4, and #5. They're, again, just generalizations on people that really don't hold true for the majority of anyone that you would probably put in those categories.

My guess is that you're in high school, consumed with clichés right now, and you feel this need to group people when you can rarely find a single person that falls solely into a single category. I cringed at every single assumption and generalization you made about the types of people who like various genres of music. I hope you can realize what you've done and eventually grow out of this need to group people based off unrelated details of their lives.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like my hopes were ill-founded. Two posts seems to be something of a record.

Am I the only person who sees he was being ironic with the Miley Cyrus comment?
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
JOE2210 wrote:
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
Am I the only person who sees he was being ironic with the Miley Cyrus comment?

Please explain how that could possibly be irony.
Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: no, I shouldn't even get involved with this one.
JOE2210 wrote:
this1neguy  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive wrote:
You seem to just make massive generalizations about people who listen to certain types of music. In fact, you come off as just as pretentious as those "indie kids" that you hate. I mean, seriously, calling people that listen to Miley Cyrus idiots, knowing nothing more about them than that they listen to Miley Cyrus. Don't be ridiculous.

There is no way to make specific groups without making what you "massive generalizations". Without making these generalizations, there would be no way to define any one group because then I'd be saying every person in existence likes every type of music - wait, that's a generalization too! I'm not calling people that listen to Miley Cyrus idiots. I don't know if you know this, but in most context the ">_>" face is meant to express sarcasm. This holds true for my post as well.

Quote:
To address #1. Indie kids tend to listen to music they like, which is a particular type of music that isn't particularly popular. But you generalize the shit out of this group of people. Almost every hardcore indie kid I know loves Radiohead, despite their massive popularity. They didn't start disliking this band even though they've grown to have a fanbase that could rival the Beatles or Metallica. They appreciate music enough that even if good music is popular they like it. Now, this obviously doesn't go for all of them, because I'm not willing to generalize a group of people so heavily, but this tends to be true for most people who listen to indie, including myself.

You mention yourself the "massive generalizations" I made, so how do you expect me to be able to define this group without generalizing that they don't like popular musical artists simply because they're popular? I can't. As such, this group had to be written as it was. I can't pick out specific individuals who do or do not like any kind of music, because that would necessitate me polling a large group to determine results, and as such I have to form generalizations to create my opinion-based groupings.

Quote:
#2. Yes, I listen to metal too. And heavier =/= better. That's a stupid generalization you just made up too. Metalheads don't just claim "HARD COOOOOOOOORE is the only good music." Bands need to have compositional, technical, and many other skills to be considered "good" by metalhead standards. If I screamed my ass off into a mic, beat the shit out of some drums, and wailed away on the heaviest chords on a bass and guitar, then mixed that together, that wouldn't make it good by metalhead standards... in fact, that would make a terrible song. That would be heavy as shit, but not good.

I don't think I said anything about music HAVING to be harder than anything else in existence. I said that the only good music is hard core in general. There are bands that are good, there are bands that are bad; there are bands that are just sort of hard core and bands that are HARD COOOOOOOORE. The genre in general is what I meant to bring up. Depending on the listener's opinion, the heavier the song may in fact make it a better song.

Quote:
I don't think I need to really address #3, #4, and #5. They're, again, just generalizations on people that really don't hold true for the majority of anyone that you would probably put in those categories.

Anything goes isn't a generalization in any way, shape or form. #4 you already addressed, and number five, as far as I've seen, is a fairly real grouping, so if nothing else you could have looked into that. If I were trying to be inflammatory, I'd say that you were trying to avoid having to discuss a group you actually believe exists; I'm not going to go into that, however.

Quote:
My guess is that you're in high school, consumed with clichés right now, and you feel this need to group people when you can rarely find a single person that falls solely into a single category. I cringed at every single assumption and generalization you made about the types of people who like various genres of music. I hope you can realize what you've done and eventually grow out of this need to group people based off unrelated details of their lives.

Well, you're right about one thing: I am in high school. I would hazard a guess that the greatest amount of this site's population is either in high school or college, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make about me by saying that. I'm in no way consumed with cliches, and it's in itself a cliche that every non-high-school-aged-person seems to think that individuals of my age bracket are obsessed with cliche and perceived social standards of various media. That said, I can easily find people that fall fairly well into single categories in my sole estimation; whether or not that is true is a different matter, but my opinion is, last I checked, allowed to exist.

The last two sentences here are rather inflammatory in nature. If you can read beyond the basic text to the subtext, my meaning is quite clear: There are a number of cliched types of individual to be found music's varied fanbases. The fact that you "cringed at every generalization" I made makes me wonder whether you're perceptive at any level at all. And finally, "I hope you can realize what you've done"? Am I a terrorist? Good lord, if you take this much offense at me simply grouping individuals' taste in music I shudder to think of what you actually think of people who do bad deeds. I'm not grouping anyone based on "unrelated details", I'm grouping people in one area that has only one detail: music, and the type of music those people listen to. This isn't a "need" to be grown out of; this is an opinion that I brought up in the hope of engendering discussion regarding a matter I'm interested in. I hold no biases based on music; what group I perceive someone to be a member of in no way affects how I view that person; I'm not sure why, in fact, YOU, have this need to belittle a wholly opinion-based post rather than simply attempting to explain your viewpoint that there are no solid groups in which to place people. Instead, you've made every attempt possible to treat me poorly as an individual, as well as being biased simply based on the age bracket I fall under.

I don't want this thread to continue in this vein; I'd gladly discuss this with you via PM.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

Reports coming in that over five hundred thousand players of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band games have simultaneously committed seppuku
thenewkidaw71  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Types of Music Fans Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
I've made sure to listen to stuff like Lady Gaga just to try and understand why it's so popular.

i do this all the time, i still dont get it 95% of the time but yknow its good to be opened minded

My Guitar Hero Acc. Thread / My Rock Band Acc. Thread / My Youtube / My Cult of Personality Guide / My Rock You Like a Hurricane Guide
Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
These charts look awfully fun so far. But hey, you can't spell Guiftaru Henro without f-u-n.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: iSWIMaw71
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently you missed the distinction between hardcore and metal but I'll let it slide because if I do more than mention it some white knight will ride in and call me pedantic and overly concerned with genres.

I agree with Fugitive that it's inappropriate to call #1 Indie kids since that kind of behavior appears in group #2 also.

So what are you, group #3? Right because this seems like a bit of ego trip to me, or maybe you're just really ticked at some of these groups. Honestly I haven't encountered any of these groups since I stopped taking myself so seriously. Why worry about it? Go sit over in group #3's corner and ignore all of the others -- if someone doesn't like the same band as you because they're popular then what does it matter? You don't have to enlighten them.
3starmaster  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indie kids are the kids that stop listening to a band once they become popular. My friends do this a lot with small rappers. For instance, they were huge into Asher Roth then his album came out and I heard one say "Ye, it's on the radio now and everyone's listening to him, I'm over him". Those are the asshat indie kids

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
Apparently you missed the distinction between hardcore and metal but I'll let it slide because if I do more than mention it some white knight will ride in and call me pedantic and overly concerned with genres.

I agree with Fugitive that it's inappropriate to call #1 Indie kids since that kind of behavior appears in group #2 also.

So what are you, group #3? Right because this seems like a bit of ego trip to me, or maybe you're just really ticked at some of these groups. Honestly I haven't encountered any of these groups since I stopped taking myself so seriously. Why worry about it? Go sit over in group #3's corner and ignore all of the others -- if someone doesn't like the same band as you because they're popular then what does it matter? You don't have to enlighten them.

I made "hard core" two words instead of one, I didn't mean "hardcore" so much as "harder metal" but that seemed like a weird phrase so...yeah.

I mean, yeah, I'm pretty much group three. I'm not trying to be egotistical and say "Hey I like all this music so this makes me cooler", I'm (as I stated above) attempting to engender discussion about the types of fanhoods, etc. I know I shouldn't really worry about it, but I was more curious than anything else about what other people thought or if I was weird for grouping people this way. So far, at least by ScoreHero standards, I'm the latter.
Silly wrote:
yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:

Twang  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a gripe with #2. It should just be 'elitists.' People who think their preferred genre is the only good genre. Believe it or not, it happens in more than just metal. There are people who think any music with less than 7 movements and lacks a brass section is 'not music.' etc etc.

Pretty sure I fall under #3.

Also kind of disagree with #5. Most people aren't as sheep-like as you seem to think. If someone doesn't like a song, I doubt they'll pretend to like it to fit in (or at least, I've never met anyone like that). It's just that what is played on the radio is all they know, because they're not like us (I'm assuming everyone on this board is more of a 'hardcore' music fan) who dig deep. Some people just don't care enough, or don't have the time to expand their tastes. You shouldn't look down on them for that, unless they get big-headed and start acting like they know everything. In that case, they're just a douchebag.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this1neguy wrote:
I made "hard core" two words instead of one, I didn't mean "hardcore" so much as "harder metal" but that seemed like a weird phrase so...yeah.

Oh okay.

Well a lot of people have similar complaints with fans of music; you're not weird.

Also I agree with both points Twang.
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, there are so many things wrong with your OP that it's ridiculous.

1. You shouldn't make such broad generalizations to begin with.
2. Most people who like the indie sound don't automatically dislike popular bands. It's absurd to think so.
3. You know nothing about Metal, don't talk about things you don't know.
4. People are actually into different types of Metal, not just the heaviest and darkest sludge or the fastest, most brutal death, or the rawest most cult black.
5. Also, you seem like a young person, so maybe you're not aware, but people who are into music EXPAND their tastes as they get older.
6. Usually, people who say they are into all kinds of music are actually not into music at all, they just illegally download a lot of mp3s.
7. Downloading MP3s is like the opposite of being into music...
8. Don't call people idiots based on their musical taste.
9. Also, "like music people generally dislike? = idiots?" Get out of here.
10. Popular only... lol it's insane to think that every trend bopper is going to be into every billboard hit there is. That just doesn't happen.
11. You didn't notice any trends, do some research before you generalize massive amounts of people like this.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: