ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Types of Music Fans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twang  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
6. Usually, people who say they are into all kinds of music are actually not into music at all, they just illegally download a lot of mp3s.
7. Downloading MP3s is like the opposite of being into music...

That doesn't make any sense at all.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twang wrote:
MetalheadNorm wrote:
6. Usually, people who say they are into all kinds of music are actually not into music at all, they just illegally download a lot of mp3s.

Yes, it does. Just think about it a little more.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
TRiiG3RS  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
Twang wrote:
MetalheadNorm wrote:

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think it does. Using that logic, someone who steals books can't be "into" books, or someone who pirates games can't be a gamer.

And I call #1's "Hipster Elitists".
Twang  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
Twang wrote:
MetalheadNorm wrote:

I think I get where you're coming from, but I do not agree at all. Just in case, please do explain your reasoning behind this claim.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: teamkillin629
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRiiG3RS wrote:
MetalheadNorm wrote:
Twang wrote:
MetalheadNorm wrote:

I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think it does. Using that logic, someone who steals books can't be "into" books, or someone who pirates games can't be a gamer.

You're not using the same logic. If you steal a book that would be equivalent to stealing a CD or vinyl (or tape or whatever format you like). These - under some circumstances - are indeed being 'into' whatever you pursue. This is much different from obtaining music digitally or viewing pages of books online.

@Above poster: Because the actual audio is just a portion of the music. It has less worth, and no physical embodiment and is for these reasons, lacking in content and easy to discard.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin

Last edited by MetalheadNorm on Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what's the deal with Fixies???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
Because the actual audio is just a portion of the music. It has less worth, and no physical embodiment and is for these reasons, lacking in content and easy to discard.

I don't see why being 'easy to discard' makes it any less...uh, real. I can just as easily take a CD outside and smash it as I can delete an mp3. Even more true for vinyl.

"Lacking in content"...are you talking about lossy fidelity? If so, then only a true audiophile would care. Audiophiles are NOT 'advanced' music fans, they're just people who appreciate high-quality audio.

In regards to the actual audio being 'just a portion of the music,' what exactly is the rest of the music? Live shows? The fans? The meaning? I don't see why downloading mp3s prevents someone from going to concert, or talking to other people who like that song/band/music, or understanding the meaning.

I buy CDs (I own around 250) and I download music in mp3 format (spoiler: 99.9% of the time, I do it illegally), and I don't find either format to be more 'real' than the other (other than physically, of course).

As for your other remark, I don't see why it's so hard to believe someone is actually into all kinds of music. Surely, they don't literally mean all kinds, because there are a fuckload of different types of music that most people will never even know about. Why do you think that 'true' music fans only listen to a handful of genres?
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Listen to everything" type of people in my experience have always been something opposite of what you would expect. It's a crutch for people that lack in-depth knowledge of music.

As for the lacking content: You either get where I'm coming from or you don't. It's different for everyone (and isn't just solely based on the degree of 'into' music you are) but yeah if you are not that 'into' music it's easy to discredit the value of these things.

I will try to explain it the best I can anyway:

Imagine you are reading a book about history and it shows pictures of perhaps the Eiffel tower in Paris. You decide that it is a very beautiful place, and appreciate it. However, no matter how detailed of a picture it is, or what the book says about this location, you still have never been to the Eiffel tower, and you can never experience it's history first hand.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm, you seem so infatuated with this dichotomy you've created between 'true' music fans and 'fake' ones. I saw it back in the collapse of the metal thread and I see it now. Who are you to measure someone's credibility as a listener? A listener is just that -- a bystander to an art. They need not rules. Whatever sounds good is good, there is nothing else to it. The culture that surrounds music is a result of how we die to celebrate it, but we can't let that celebration get to our head. You don't need a physical CD. It's a celebration, not music -- and if you plan on appreciating music you can kindly ignore the celebration.
Twang  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
"Listen to everything" type of people in my experience have always been something opposite of what you would expect. It's a crutch for people that lack in-depth knowledge of music.

When you say 'in-depth knowledge of music' you mean in-depth knowledge of a certain genre, don't you? You never answered my question: why are people who listen to a lot of a couple genres more 'real' than people who listen to a little of a lot of genres?

@ that other thing about the Eiffel Tower. That's true and all, but how does that relate to the discussion of mp3s vs. physical copies?
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
Norm, you seem so infatuated with this dichotomy you've created between 'true' music fans and 'fake' ones. I saw it back in the collapse of the metal thread and I see it now.

See what exactly? I was just explaining my reasons for putting value on physical art. I welcome people to understand my position, yes, but in the end, I end up not caring if they understand it or not.

Eastwinn wrote:
Who are you to measure someone's credibility as a listener?

I don't measure such things.

Eastwinn wrote:
A listener is just that -- a bystander to an art.

There is a difference between 'hearing' and 'listening.' And you honestly lost me on this whole celebration thing.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twang wrote:
When you say 'in-depth knowledge of music' you mean in-depth knowledge of a certain genre, don't you? You never answered my question: why are people who listen to a lot of a couple genres more 'real' than people who listen to a little of a lot of genres?

No one is more 'real' than anyone else, ever. Please do not argue against statements that I have never made.

Twang wrote:
@ that other thing about the Eiffel Tower. That's true and all, but how does that relate to the discussion of mp3s vs. physical copies?

It only relates if you want it to.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
NovaXD  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am going to attempt to make something of a summary of thoughts concerning this topic. there is going to be a sort of litote here:

good general rule for being a music fan: if you think you are a better music fan than other music fans then you should take a step back and reconsider why you think you are a better music fan.

people can like music for a lot of different reasons--because the sound appeals to them, because the argument the music makes (often, perhaps usually, there are some arguments) because they want to be more unique, because someone else told them to, sometimes maybe for no reason at all. there are more reasons to listen to music than these, but i think these are big ones to consider

there is a lot of drama about what music people like these days and it is not unnatural for this to be the case because there are significant complications that come with music advertisement and the uses of music by a greater media as is the fashion of the twenty-first century.

this is the way i listen to music, i think it is the best way but then again i have quite a bit of bias:

1. listen to some music
  2. decide whether or not you like the way it sounds
  3. this step depends on how much you like the way the music sounds.

• if you don't like the music: don't continue to listen to it. maybe don't listen to music similar to it. remember though: it may appeal to others
    • if you like the music: continue to listen to it. maybe listen to music similar to it. remember thought: it may not appeal to others
  4. repeat, if you like

you truculently disagree with me if you like; i'd just be flattered if someone cared about my opinion
thenewkidaw71  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3starmaster wrote:
Indie kids are the kids that stop listening to a band once they become popular. My friends do this a lot with small rappers. For instance, they were huge into Asher Roth then his album came out and I heard one say "Ye, it's on the radio now and everyone's listening to him, I'm over him". Those are the asshat indie kids

i hate those kids so much, sorry indie kids but it just annoys me. if you like a band you like a band,, wheether its popular or not

My Guitar Hero Acc. Thread / My Rock Band Acc. Thread / My Youtube / My Cult of Personality Guide / My Rock You Like a Hurricane Guide
Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
These charts look awfully fun so far. But hey, you can't spell Guiftaru Henro without f-u-n.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: iSWIMaw71
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of people have defended the OP, but in all honesty, I know a lot of people who get SICK of bands when other people start listening to them, just for that reason, and that is VERY annoying.

I also know a lot of people who think the correlation between a band being heavy and a band being good is a purely linear one, to the point that a band who records so loudly and with such bad sound quality that every instrument and effect, even synths, are heavily distorted and BARELY discernable from one another will be revered as the new "Greatest band ever." ...And they have a new one every couple weeks, and that is annoying.

As for the group of people that listen to music only because others do, meh, I don't really rage about that, because 99% of the people that seem to fall into this category really do like those types of music... ALTHOUGH at least half of them would probably prefer other music if they were to expand their horizons and give some serious listens to less common forms of music. They can't be blamed for that, because as someone mentioned earlier, they usually either don't have the time or resources to do so, or they just don't even know that kind of music is out there, and it's probably not something they usually consider.

Now, bear in mind I do prefer bands to not be exceedingly popular, because they will become overplayed. But if there's a band I love, I'm going to tell everyone I know about them that I think will enjoy their music, and spread the word. Hell, I've created scores of Dream Theater fans. Also, as for what I said about metal, I LOVE metal with a really heavy sound, but there has to be more to it than JUST that. For example I love bands like Behemoth or The Faceless, but also softer music like Enya. But If a song is basically one long blast beat overlayed with gallops and regular bass drops, and every word is indistinguishable, that is a bit silly.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: