ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Q: Did 90's Music Kickass? A: YES.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
82erkle  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Q: Did 90's Music Kickass? A: YES. Reply with quote

I don't know if this is just me because I grew up in this decade, but it seemed like the 90's really had some real gems on the radio during the time. It seemed like more stuff on the radio at the time was more artistic. Songs on the radio now days is either cheesy stories about love or about hoes and stacks (sarcastically speaking). I just feel like there's no differentiation from the pop music today. I personally think that there was something in the 90's that appealed to everyone. Grunge, rap, hip-hop, pop-rock, metal, the list goes on and on. I don't know what you guys think about this, but more than half of the music I have on my iPod is from the 90's.

Rock Band Accomplishment Thread
Proud owner of over 2,500+ expert Rock Band FC's.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: erkle82
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[edit] oops I forgot that that was 00's

I don't know. I've always considered mainstream to be pretty bland. It's been the same thing pretty much since the 80s.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, back then i didnt like rock/metal ect music, i liked dance, techno, when i was a kid (23/10/91) and there really were some nice songs. 1 that i still like is Robert Miles - One And One. Sort of a depressing song, but still nice lyrics.
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 90s and early 00s were definitely the only good time for rap music. The shit they put out today is just meaningless pop garbage, 90s gangsta rap was imo the only good rap. That and early jay-z, immortal technique (early 00s), etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that any time-frame in particular produced better music than another. I listen to music ranging anywhere from the 50s to today (and some classical that was composed hundreds of years ago). Like GIRLintheFIRE said, radio music has, TO ME, always appeared very bland and similar. I wouldn't say the 90s were a stand out time for radio music.

In fact, I would venture a guess that most music on my iPod is from the 00s, and I forsee more music from this decade being on there, when it's through, than the 90s. I even think I have more from the 80s than 90s. But I digress.

Don't get me wrong. If you're into grunge, then this is the time for you. Or if this is your generation for hip hop and rap, then that's fine too. I'm not saying the music is worse. I'm just saying I don't really find classifying music by time frame particularly useful or qualifying for the music itself. I'd rather just judge the music on the music, rather than the time it came out. So I don't particularly care to even find out when songs/albums came out a lot of the time.
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about on the radio, but the 90's was a great decade for music indeed!
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
cobainage1994  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90s had great fuckin music, even on the radio.

Earlier Smash Mouth
The Spin Doctors
Third Eye Blind
The Counting Crowes
The Black Crowes

And of course the unforgettable one hit wonders

No Rain
Closing Time
Flagpole sitta

Pretty much the whole grunge era.

And to this day I still say Will Smith is the greatest rapper ever god damnit! (I hate the genre as a whole though)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandyRhoads801
Boomsars  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Crash_McLarson/10090ssongs

I Nostalgia'd hard. And downloaded quite a few of these songs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's disturbing to me that '90s are starting to become "classic" and "nostalgic." Makes me feel old, or something.

As expected several people in this thread despise the radio hits of any era. Fair enough, you can hate the mainstream til the cows come home, but I think some of us still love to remember the hits of the '90s because that was most of our "coming of age." That music really hits home for us, even if we were to listen to it now and might dislike it. When I was a kid I loved Britney Spears and Ricky Martin and Nsync and that whole thing, and now I can't stand most of that music. But listening to it is still fun and nostalgic, so don't rain on our parade dammit. Not to mention that lot of radio music is good "entry-level" material for even more stuff. For example, I didn't like many of the "hit" songs by any given band after listening to the rest of their album, because the rest of their stuff was so much better. But I still have to thank the radio for getting me to buy the album in the first place.

To say that any decade was better than another is entirely subjective, of course, but the OP isn't saying the 90s > all, he's saying the 90s were awesome, which I whole-heartedly agree with.

I remember one of the few CDs I owned (and played to death) in middle school was none other than NOW 5. Yes, it was technically released in 2000, but I think we can all agree that most decade trends carry over a year or two into the next decade (plus the recording was done in 98-99). I think this CD encompasses my memories of the 90s pretty well.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
footballtom3685  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomsars wrote:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/Crash_McLarson/10090ssongs

I Nostalgia'd hard. And downloaded quite a few of these songs.
Wow, thanks for posting that. I got 47/100 but missed quite a few due to being stupid and forgetting the names (Bullet with Butterfly Wings, Losing My Religion, Interstate Love Song, and a few others...all songs I know very well and just totally blanked on the names). I also missed Big Poppa because I thought it was spelled "Big Papa". Should've been closer to 60 :p

Anyway, I'm a pretty big fan of 90s music. Some part of that might just be the nostalgia factor, because I grew up in the 90s (and 00s..) and a lot of the songs just remind me of good, carefree times. There are countless one hit wonders and tons of really good bands who put out great stuff throughout the decade.

Bands active during the 90s that I enjoy include: blink-182, Green Day, Pearl Jam, Fastball, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Third Eye Blind, Stone Temple Pilots, and Soundgarden. (Not to mention rappers like Eminem, 2pac, Nas, and Dr. Dre among others)

That's not including a ton of songs I like by bands I don't otherwise listen to:
- How Bizarre by OMC
- Sex and Candy by Marcy Playground
- Tubthumping by Chumbawumba (absolute classic, come on!)
- Save Tonight by Eagle-Eye Cherry
- The Rockafeller Skank by Fatboy Slim (I like a few other songs by Fatboy Slim, actually)
- Numerous Smash Mouth songs, don't listen to them anymore but I did buy one of their CDs back in the day, 'twas one of my first CD purchases.

And the list goes on...the 90s were definitely a solid decade for music.
joekickass1234  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the grunge era. This happens to be my favourite style music. Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana. Even Metallica got into grunge with their Load and ReLoad albums. It also was the period of the punk rock revival. Band like Rancid, the Offspring, and a whole lot more that I'm forgetting about. It was a splendid time for music indeed.

3926 0220 0199 1364
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The invention of Emo was in the 90s also.

As much as a love my 90s bands (I like to call Pearl Jam my second favorite band), I have to give it more credit for setting America up for the post-hardcore movement. Thank you 90s.
JohnnyGrey  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking of making a thread like this, as I recently had been finding some old gems that I'd forgotten about. I feel as though people mistake this as when music started getting "bad" and a lot of the music gets overshadowed by the likes of the Spice Girls, Nsync, and Hanson

Savage Garden - I want you, Break and shake me, Crash 'n' burn
Fastball - The way,
Sister Hazel - All for you
Del Amitri - Roll to me
Blues Traveler - Run Around
Eiffel 65 - The entire europop CD. More specifically Living in a bubble
Aladdin, The Lion King and the Goofy movie soundtracks were all made during the 90's I'm pretty sure xD, and I love them all
So yea, the 90s had some pretty great music

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since everyone is gettin specific around here:

Unquestionable Presence, Effigy of the Forgotten, Arise, Testimony of Ancients, Human, Blessed are the Sick, Necroticism, and Horrorscope, and that's just 1991!!!
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
As expected several people in this thread despise the radio hits of any era. Fair enough, you can hate the mainstream til the cows come home,

It's not that I despise it, it's that I just find it rather boring minus a few gems.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: