ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Free Bird Roll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olinea  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Free Bird Roll Reply with quote

Alright, I can't seem to hit the roll in Free Bird. Specifically, the Wii DLC released April 1st.

I can survive up until this two minute roll. I can get the full SP meter. I do alright. Then we get to mashing the red; that's okay. Then the cymbals come in and gradually it's getting harder for me. At some point it's going like and such. I can't pass this. Also, there are kicks under the s and s, but I couldn't figure out how to format that.

Not going for an FC; just trying to pass it. Any help would be appreciated.
Marbler  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It slows down substantially, so that's something to think about. You might want to try listening to the guitar instead of the drums, that way you can stay on beat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Marbler
kire  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that part the easiest one strangely, so there's not much help I can give to you, only advice is to hit the cymbals with your right hand like this

RLRLRLRLRLRLR

Pieman on IRC wrote:
21:43 JustPieman2 Okay so
21:44 JustPieman2 Dave Mustaine walked into a bakery
21:44 JustPieman2 There was a Tornado of Rolls!
DrBeat  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

practice and more practice. continuing to play will build up stamina speed and accuracy for your wrists and arms. Even more so, as you get better you'll begin to use more of your fingers for faster rolls.

This is also important: As you play you'll get better at guitar hero itself. your brain will become more adept at reading the notes and recognizing patterns. it will seem like your nearly subconsciously playing the game. I know many great players can agree to this. The pattern seemingly flies your way and you'll have relatively no problem. Doing an excellent sightread on an intense song that you've never heard before is an example of this practice paying off.
WarlordTm  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBeat wrote:
practice and more practice. continuing to play will build up stamina speed and accuracy for your wrists and arms. Even more so, as you get better you'll begin to use more of your fingers for faster rolls.

This is also important: As you play you'll get better at guitar hero itself. your brain will become more adept at reading the notes and recognizing patterns. it will seem like your nearly subconsciously playing the game. I know many great players can agree to this. The pattern seemingly flies your way and you'll have relatively no problem. Doing an excellent sightread on an intense song that you've never heard before is an example of this practice paying off.

^ This is probably the best answer you'll get here. There isn't a special trick to hitting certain parts if you're not yet fully accustomed to GH or able to play certain drum patterns. If you can't get past the roll, try just forgetting about it for a while; play a few other songs, try and get as much 5*'s as possible in the game. You'll notice yourself getting better just by playing a wide variety of drum patterns in different songs. Once you get back to Free Bird in a while, you'll probably be like "How was this ever hard for me?". I know this to be true since I've experienced this myself all too well when I started getting better at GH drumming.
| Banners link to videos/scores | YouTube Account | GH Accomplishments | RB Accomplishments | Song left for FSFC: Space Truckin' (-1)
Exxucus  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the climactic roll in Freebird, it helps to remember that you right hand is going to naturally be able to hit the cymbals, and the whole thing is going to go at a constant RLRLRL pattern, meaning you right ihand is just going to play YRORYROR, while your left hand plays red the whole time.

This ends up looking like:

Left Hand:
Right Hand:

How Awesome GHWoR Is wrote:
Yeah they were. It's amazing how I had an almost naked lady rubbing her boobs on my head (I'm the drummer in the video) and I was like "Hey GTFO I'm trying to play".
Olinea  

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I postedd this I gave it a go and passed alright; don't even think I was in the red.

I do agree with the whole "practice and it gets subconscious" thing, as I play Guitar often. But I don't think Free Bird is a song I'll be getting used to in the near future.
Scorehero: Where the 5-note chord is undercharted.

Grinded that second one for 18 years.
DrBeat  

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Great to hear you got it down. I also want to thank warlord for the positive feedback on my post!
ipieteri  

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBeat wrote:
Even more so, as you get better you'll begin to use more of your fingers for faster rolls.

Sorry for replying to a semi-old thread.. but how exactly do you use multiple fingers while playing rolls?

yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipieteri wrote:
DrBeat wrote:
Even more so, as you get better you'll begin to use more of your fingers for faster rolls.

Sorry for replying to a semi-old thread.. but how exactly do you use multiple fingers while playing rolls?

I think what he means is that you'll be able to control the stick moreso with your fingers than with your hand/palm/idk, so you can do diddles and the like (the light finger grip gives excellent rebound, making diddles easy).

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
DrBeat  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
ipieteri wrote:
DrBeat wrote:

I think what he means is that you'll be able to control the stick moreso with your fingers than with your hand/palm/idk, so you can do diddles and the like (the light finger grip gives excellent rebound, making diddles easy).

That is correct.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: