ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Houston (Katy), TX - GH Tournament 6/12 CANCELED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Houston (Katy), TX - GH Tournament 6/12 CANCELED Reply with quote

So I come to you, Houston SHers... I'm currently working at a place in Katy Mills Mall called Blackfly. Its a lot like Hot Topic used to be. Our primary focus is Metal, and believe me, between both the owners and I, we listen to everything we sell.

We sell kick ass band shirts... everything from The Beatles and Rolling Stones to Cannibal Corpse and Bullet For My Valentine.

Problem is... we're not getting enough business... and the owners are from Germany. They're running out of funds for the store. If they have to close down the store (which is looking like its going to be the grim outcome of this whole ordeal), they'll have to go back to Germany. They DO NOT want that. We need a surge of popularity. So me being the GH fan that I am, suggested a GH Tournament to get some support out from local kids that love the music that we listen to and the merchandise we sell.

I have yet to work out what game I'm going to be holding this on... but I'll be setting up a facebook page for you all to RSVP whether you'll be there or not, and maybe vote on which game you want to play... and this way I can get info out to you all. Plus you know that being hosted by an SH member, you're going to get a fair shake. ;) (for instance, I'll be sure to bring up equipment that doesn't lag like ASS)

The only thing that I've worked out so far is that to enter, you'll have to make some kind of purchase at the store and sign up by giving your name and email or phone number to the person ringing you up.

I'm shooting for June 12 for this... but if it needs to be pushed back a couple weeks I'm willing to do so.

Come on SH! Help me out! My job is on the line here, and I need you to show me there are some people in my favorite online community that will support me and my Blackfly Family!

EDIT: Today, Blackfly closed.

Last edited by tormentedbyu on Tue May 25, 2010 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: omnomnomSH
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Metallica is pretty badass and probably the metallest GH game. Lots of hard songs without being too retarded. My suggestion would be to hold the tournament in front of the store, or at least make it easily viewable from the outside of the store. The cool thing about all this is that if you get a couple of good players in pro faceoff, they could play the hardest songs in the game and do very well at it. Metallica would probably be the most impressive game for the standard passerby, seeing as most people would consider just about any song in Metallica to be really hard, especially the harder ones. Plus its Metallica so its just that much more awesome by default. Seeing as your store is metal, it would probably be the best game to draw in the type of people that are most likely to patronize your store.

You should consider holding some challenges besides the tournament, like if you can get X percentage on Y song you get a gift card, something like that. Make it fun and engaging for any passerby. You want people to be drawn in by the awesomeness. Shit if you really want to go all out you could try to find a local band that'll do a set for cheap. I bet a lot of people would do it just for the exposure, just put an ad on craigslist. What better way to say "this store is metal" than to have a small metal concert? What would be really tight is if you like, went back and forth between GH and the band. Like, if you pre-select the final song for the tournament, you could follow that up by having the band play the song for real, then just play whatever.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f4phantom2500 wrote:
AWESOME SUGGESTIONS

Thanks for the input, f4. I like all of the ideas... I'll definitely look into what it would take to get a small concert going... unfortunately, since we're in a mall, we have to clear all that stuff with mall management... and I doubt they'd go for a concert in one of the stores, regardless of how small. Though I do know that Hot Topic is able to get away with acoustic sets every now and again. Acoustic just typically does not = metal.

I'm definitely considering all options at this point though.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tormentedbyu wrote:
f4phantom2500 wrote:
AWESOME SUGGESTIONS

Thanks for the input, f4. I like all of the ideas... I'll definitely look into what it would take to get a small concert going... unfortunately, since we're in a mall, we have to clear all that stuff with mall management... and I doubt they'd go for a concert in one of the stores, regardless of how small. Though I do know that Hot Topic is able to get away with acoustic sets every now and again. Acoustic just typically does not = metal.

I'm definitely considering all options at this point though.

maybe you can set something up in the parking lot? i know katy mills is fkn huge. we have a tiny mall here in denton and every year they set up a little carnival thing in the parking lot.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
Deschain  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree with f4 on GH:M. Get Death Magnetic on the hard drive for whatever system you use (unless you're on PS2...but don't be).

If you wanted to stick with RB, you could get a choice setlist of metal stuff. Obv anything from the track pack, mayhem pack, etc. It would have a tad more variety (and a couple Metallica standards), you'd just have to make sure they were on whatever hard drive you're using.

I might try to make it down. Why the hell not, really?
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deschain wrote:

hm....crazy idea but could we possibly try to turn this into some kind of mini get together? i just lost my job last week so i really dunno what ill be doing that weekend, hopefully ill have a new job by then...but hey if we get a few sh people at this thing it should be that much more badass.

EDIT: might wanna try to get your boss to have a sale that day too.

tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f4phantom2500 wrote:
Deschain wrote:

hm....crazy idea but could we possibly try to turn this into some kind of mini get together? i just lost my job last week so i really dunno what ill be doing that weekend, hopefully ill have a new job by then...but hey if we get a few sh people at this thing it should be that much more badass.

EDIT: might wanna try to get your boss to have a sale that day too.
I'm actually totally down with the idea of turning this into a mini get together. As per usual, I offer my home to any and all participating SHers.

Also, thanks for the support guys. Its awesome to see two upstanding and well respected members of the community such as yourselves show such an interest in this.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally down for this assuming I have the money to spare and I'm actually in town at the time. I don't have a job lined up, so I dunno how my fundage is gonna work for the summer, and I reserved my copy of Green Day Rock Band when I was at my mom's (in San Antonio) so if we do it the 12th, I dunno if I'll be back from her house yet.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck man i cant believe the first tx get together i went to (first substantial tx get together?) was 2 years ago @_@

tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by tormentedbyu on Sun May 16, 2010 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: omnomnomSH
Deschain  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f4phantom2500 wrote:
fuck man i cant believe the first tx get together i went to (first substantial tx get together?) was 2 years ago @_@

Yep, and it was aweeesooome. If I ever get a house, I'm going to kick my gf out for a day or two and just tell everybody to show up.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok, Matt. Don't you worry your sweet little head. There are SH members at work here and we work out all the details.

<.<

Ya. Totally didn't realize that was you until I thought about it a little bit and looked at your full band pics and saw your gamertag. XD

Like I said on the FB page, Deschain, I suck. :|

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Who the fuck is this guy who comes in and asks a bunch of goddam questions...oh, that guy."
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, turns out, Blackfly is closed. Closed today. So the tournament is canceled. I am left unemployed... and yeah. Just... yeah.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tormentedbyu wrote:
So, turns out, Blackfly is closed. Closed today. So the tournament is canceled. I am left unemployed... and yeah. Just... yeah.

what the fuuuuuuck man that sucks so bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Tournaments and Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: