Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
I want to know your 10 favorite songs of all-time
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sully  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: I want to know your 10 favorite songs of all-time Reply with quote

I've been brainstorming this for a long time now and finally decided to put the thread together. Think of it like this- you can burn one CD with exactly 10 songs to take with you into exile. These are the only 10 songs that you will ever get to listen to again. For the rest of your life. So choose wisely.

If you want to participate in this thread, then you MUST agree to these guidelines:

1) Put some effort into making your list. If it takes you a few minutes or less to come up with your 10 songs, then you didn't try hard enough.
2) Try to find links to your songs so others can check them out. Youtube is likely the best option, or maybe the band's website or (yuck) myspace.
3) Check out what other people are listing with an open mind. I don't really want your participation if all you want to do is give your songs without being willing to check out some stuff from others that you might not have heard before.
4) There will be absolutely no attacks on the opinions/likes/tastes of others. If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all.
5) Don't get silly with 60 minute songs or long songs that aren't clearly defined as multiple "tracks.". Try to keep it under 60 minutes total.

Here's my list in no particular order. I started by listing dozens of songs by dozens of artists and then slowly chipped away. It got really tough at the end to whittle away to only 10. I decided not to have multiple songs from any one band/artist but that may not be how your list ends up.

The Afghan Whigs - Kiss the Floor
Valient Thorr - I Hope the Ghosts of the Dead
Dinosaur Jr - We're Not Alone
Smashing Pumpkins - Rocket
Led Zeppelin - Over the Hills and Far Away
Nirvana - Aneurysm
Bad Religion - Infected
The Knack - My Sharona
Pearl Jam - Push Me, Pull Me
Tool - h.

Last edited by Sully on Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: vSully
thedevilsreject  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm going to go with only one song per band to try and get more diversity:

In no particular order:

A change of Seasons - Dream Theater (not the full song as it far exceeds the youtube time limit).

Go your own way - Fleetwood Mac

Would? - Alice in Chains

Summer Lightning - Camel

In my Darkest Hour - Megadeth

Gimme Gimme Gimme - Abba

Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson

Around the World - Daft Punk

Forgot about Dre - Dr Dre/Eminem

What are you afraid of - West Indian Girl

The two artists/bands I'm sad to miss out on are Jeff Buckley and Led Zeppelin, but I'm happy with that list.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: jax0509
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be ridiculous. I think It's probably different my top 10 favorite songs, and 10 songs that I'd take into exile (as I'd want a variety for the exile even though I'd probably have to throw out some songs I technically like better. For the purposes of this list, I'll just use my 10 favorite songs. They're in no particular order and I can say with confidence this list is forever changing, so I'm not taking this to my grave.

I created a grooveshark playlist for the songs here.
I encourage everyone to do that as it rarely has songs I can't find on it and it's easier than clicking individual Youtube links with questionable quality.

Here's the list for thread purposes. All but one of the songs are in the playlist:
-Two - The Antlers
-Battle Against Time - Wintersun
-Halo - Machine Head
-Trojan Horse - Bloc Party
-Skinny Love - Bon Iver
-Holland 1945 - Neutral Milk Hotel
-Silver Moons - Sunset Rubdown
-Horchata - Vampire Weekend
-Seas of Storms - Viatrophy - could only find a live version
-Surf Solar - Fuck Buttons

There were a ton of bands and songs that just missed the cut. I kind of tried to pick a decent variety for my top 10 too... so this may be a list very close to what I would take into exile too, actually.
SPinD0cter  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurt by Johnny Cash - Originally done by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. The NIN version only has live versions (from what I've seen.) But the man in black does justice on this song and the last chorus is amazing. The video is also pretty sad because it was one of the last ones he shot before he died. It shows a montage of his life.

Wake Up by Coheed & Cambria - I feel that nothing more epic is the Co&Ca saga (see sig.) As one of few slow songs they have this is the best.

Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes - "A Seven Nation Army couldn't hold me back."

Vices Like Vipers by Oh, Sleeper - Best Christian metal band out there imo.

High Voltage by Linkin Park - I'm pretty sure this is the Hybird Theory EP version. Other version is good but the EP is better.

Cigarette by Fort Minor - My favorite rap of all time.

The Complexity of Light by Children of Nova - Ever since this came out on RBN I've been listening to it constantly.

The Going Price For Home by The Prize Fighter Inferno - Claudio Sanchez's side project for Coheed.

Sleeping Giant by Mastodon - The video isn't the whole version of the song. When this song first came out on GH3 I hated it. But then they released Crack the Skye and it was amazing. I then started listening to the Blood Mountain and Levithian and was hooked on this band.

Vicarious by Tool - Epic song is epic. I <3 the Tool.

EDIT: I have to mention Scorehero's own blindz0r. His band Majesty. There song Silent War is so good. I can't get enough of it.
Guitar Hero 80's FC's [18/30]
Guitar Hero 3 FC's [46/70]
Guitar Hero 5 FC's [73/85]
Guitar Hero Metallica FC's [28/49]
Guitar Hero Smash Hits FC's [33/48]

Last edited by SPinD0cter on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are mine:

Ants of the Sky - Between the Buried and Me - I know, this band's something of a SH parallel with Lady Gaga, but if you haven't heard this song yet check it out! It's progressive metalcore, and the second half is a lot better than the first (in my opinion).

We're Forgiven - The Calling - Bit of post-grunge for y'all. These guys are largely famous for Wherever I Will Go (if I could, then I would, I'd go wherever you will go) but their other stuff is great too, particularly (in my opinion) this song.

Little Lies - Fleetwood Mac - Classic

Sunshine - Vertical Horizon - Alt-rock. Oh yeah. I went there. I love this song, it's fantastic.

Day Twelve - Trauma - Ayreon - From a concept album (The Human Equation), but works well as a standalone track. Progressive metalcore with folk and blues influences.

Powerslave - Iron Maiden - I can't see many SHers not knowing this song, but it's one of my favourites nonetheless.

A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation - Trivium - A guilty pleasure of mine, I have to say, but I love this song. Straight-out metalcore.

Lithium - Nirvana - Much underrated song from them, in my opinion. I love it almost purely due to the lyrics, though.

The Rocking Grounds - The Black Mages - Also incredible, a metal cover of The Rocking Grounds from FFIII.

Hazard - Richard Marx - Again, something of a guilty pleasure. Great song, though, about being wrongly accused of murdering your girlfriend. Lovely stuff.

I really like a lot of what's been posted so far, as well - a lot of variation, which is good, because if I'm honest I could see this thread turning into METAL METAL METAAAAAL. I'm probably guiltier of that than most, but at least my list contains some variation
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Nollaig  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 songs, 1 CD, Life lasting?

Ok lets start off, in no particular order

The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin
This song is epic, Page and Plant really shine through on this masterpiece. One of the most calming songs i've ever heard. The unusual tuning is what causes Pages playing to feel immersible and personal.

Thank You by Led Zeppelin
2nd Zep song in the list, for some reason this glued to me, Plants songwriting is phenomenally loving that goes along great with Pages Sailor riffs, reminds of the sea. Great heartfelt tune

We Can Work It Out by The Beatles
Absolutely lovable double song, McCartneys major chords mixed with Lennons minor 7th chords work brilliantly and make for a timeless classic

Estranged by Guns N' Roses
Epic, the final song in the trilogy of Axl Rose masterpieces. This song stands out as one of Gn'R's most epic songs. The timing and progressions are masterful and delightful. Axl's best vocal work IMO

Rocket Queen by Guns N' Roses
A great mix of hard rocking riffs and soft rock progressions, another masterpiece in Gn'R's small catalog.

Learning To Fly by Pink Floyd
One of Floyds most underrated songs. When I 1st heard it I fell in love with it. Gilmours guitar work seemed simple but very moving aswell as his vocal work for it.

You Know My Name, Look Up The Number by The Beatles
An obscure, not well known song from The Beatles, very quirky vocal stylings. Obviously John and Paul having a bit of a mess around. I found it very entertaining and now I am always singing it lol. Very catchy

Hitch A Ride by Boston
Found through Rock Band this song has become very loved by me, Boston's prog hard rock vibe is very appealing to me and this song is the cherry on the cake. Its blistering solo's and feel good chord progressions are very upbeat and memorable.

Somebody To Love by Queen
An amazing love oriented song captured by harmonizing vocals, a great solo and Freddy Mercury, my favorite vocal by him makes it into this list.

Get Back by The Beatles
An all time classic secures final spot on my list, this blues oriented instrumentals are really well written and played, John's solo are so upbeat and happy while Pauls vocals are spot on and very how you would say anthem inspiring lol. Wonderful song that gets the heart pumping and the mouth singing :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idioglossia by Pain of Salvation
This is just about the most epic thing ever. Oh. Actually it is. What an amazing song.

Scarred by Dream Theater
Quite an underrated song. Great bass line in the opening verse, then when the heaviness kicks in you get some great riffs, then it eventually transitions to a wonderful chorus. The solos here are great, and the outro is great as well. I don't see anything you can't like about this song, it's just amazing.

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 by Coheed and Cambria
Yeah epic song, just wonderful. Best song off the best Coheed album.

The Flame Deluge by Thrice
All sorts of epic. Great melody, loud, bombastic drums, great growling vocals. It seems louder than it is, and it's amazing how it works so well. It's, in a way... beautiful.

Bleak by Opeth
Wonderful song, great guitar lines, great growls, and Wilson's vocals are wonderful as well. And you can't help but enjoy the awesome effect in the outro. All-around epic song.

Reality Dream III by Riverside
Possibly the greatest instrumental track ever. Great composition, this song is just brilliant.

Season of Denial by Guilt Machine
There's about 100 degrees of epic here. The quiet sections are chilling, the build-up before the first chorus is amazing, and both choruses scream "epic".

Memento Mori by Kamelot
So once upon a time a two-album concept came to a close with a bang.
'nuff said. Epic song right here.

Gravity Eyelids by Porcupine Tree (there's no YT link for this)
Really mellow and atmospheric (and beautiful) for quite some time, and then the heavy middle section comes in... and it works so well. Wonderfully constructed song, I never tire of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pick my favourite songs

1) Through The Fire And Flames - DragonForce *

2) The Age Of Mystic Ice - Luca Turilli *

3) Flying Whales - Gojira *

4) Angel Of Death - Slayer

5) Pull Me Under - Dream Theater

6) All Along The Watch Tower - Jimi Hendrix

7) The Hellion/Electric Eye - Judas Priest *

8) Fly - Blind Guardian

9) Fly Away - Lenny Kravitz

10) Demanufacture - Fear Factory

They are in no particular order, and there are songs with a * that means i would replace that song with a different one by the same band.
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to know your 10 favorite songs of all-time Reply with quote

I put together a Top 200 (!) for another forum about ten years ago. The top ten has remained the same ever since (and for a year or two before that); there's maybe one song since that I could consider adding to it.

So. These are my favourite songs of all time. This is in no way a "best" songs of all time. More than a few of them are ranked so highly because of specific events or things that were going on in my life and they became associated with them. None of them are metal - I really can't get above about a 6 or 7 on the Mohs Scale Of Rock And Metal Hardness at the best of times, and none of this list is over a 3 if it even qualifies at all. I like music above that mark, but it's rare that I'll love it and even rarer that I'll love it enough to break into this list - it might be fun to shout or dance to, but it won't be able to move me enough.

10. Bif Naked - Lucky (unofficial shit vid, but there's no other version out there that has the proper version of the song; just shut your eyes or some such)
9. Fatboy Slim - The Rockafeller Skank
8. David Baddiel, Frank Skinner and The Lightning Seeds - Three Lions
7. Monty Python's Flying Circus - Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life
6. Simple Minds - She's A River
5. Mariah Carey - Hero
4. REM - I'll Take The Rain (unofficial shit vid, but it's the only good one that has the whole song)
3. Garbage - Drive You Home
2. U2 - One
1. James - Sit Down (pretty much no power on this earth will ever budge this song from the top spot)

The other one: Coldplay - The Scientist

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing

Last edited by Kinitawowi on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
Abomstar  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really been able to pinpoint a "favorite" song, or even ten for that matter, so this was a challenge and it's difficult for me to even assess the validity of my own choices. The biggest factors addressed here are originality, non-reproducibility/uniqueness, and personal significance. I didn't go on a purely literal interpretation of the "desert island" scenario, but I did adjust slightly to fit in a breadth of styles, moods, emotions, etcetera. There's only one song per artist, basically just to make this task more manageable -- I seriously could spend days going back and forth on this. Songs are arranged by when I first heard 'em (earliest to most recent.)

Ween - The Argus
The Flaming Lips - Suddenly Everything Has Changed
Frank Zappa - Inca Roads
Modest Mouse - Teeth Like God's Shoeshine
Built to Spill - Randy Described Eternity (studio version not on YouTube, but this is an okay live version)
Pavement - Carrot Rope
Hella - Biblical Violence
Battles - Rainbow
Coheed and Cambria - Junesong Provision (Acoustic Demo)
Circa Survive - All Your Friends Are Gone

Edit:

Grooveshark link

Fugitive, thanks for sharing this site. I'm listening to your playlist in its entirety right now and thoroughly enjoying it. Good call on The Antlers -- that's a band whose name popped up a lot last year but I (regrettably) overlooked, but that song blew me away immediately, and reading more about the concept of the album makes it seem like a potential masterpiece.

Last edited by Abomstar on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too difficult! However if you had said one song, that's super easy -- this.
GIRLintheFIRE  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, here we go.

Adamantium Studios - Beautiful Fairytale
Slough Feg - Insomnia
Animals as Leaders - Soraya
Excision & Datsik - Swagga
Mastodon - Oblivion
Slough Feg - Bi Polar Disorder
Warbringer - Nightmare Anatomy
Quantic - Time is the Enemy
Boards of Canada - Julie and Candy
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Indian Summer

Oh I don't know if I could settle with that though. 10 songs is just a tragedy. I'll check out some play lists you guys made later. I gotta run!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: I want to know your 10 favorite songs of all-time Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
I really can't get above about a 6 or 7 on the Mohs Scale Of Rock And Metal Hardness at the best of times

That article you linked is absolutely horrible haha.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I think I can do this.

1.) Holland, 1945 or Ghost by Neutral Milk Hotel
2.) Over the Hills and Far Away by Led Zeppelin.
3.) Debaser by Pixies.
4.) In the Garage by Weezer.
5.) Two of Us by The Beatles
6.) Paperback Writer by The Beatles
7.) When I'm Sixty-Four by The Beatles
8.) The Song Remains the Same by Led Zeppelin
9.) Band on the Run by Wings
10.) Battery by Metallica

I almost didn't include Battery (as I would like to include another song), but it was my favorite song for quite a while (as in, 3+ months), so I just had to include it.

Obviously there are other songs that I would love to include, but this is the best I can come up with (notice I had some variety) given the parameters.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this should be fun.

10. Between the Buried and Me - Obfuscation

Love the opening to this song and the rest of it. Definatley my newest entry into my 'Top 10'

9. Lamb of God - Laid to Rest

The first Lamb of God song I heard, and the song that got me into heavier music.

8.Pantera - Cowboys from Hell

Just love this song from the beginning, used to use it as a pump up song for hockey all the time.

7. Pungent Stench - Madcatmachopsychoromantik

Great song, just makes me laugh all the time.

6. Billy Talent - The Navy Song

This song got me through some rough and tough times back in the day, good song too.

5. Between the Buried and Me - Prequel to the Sequel

IMO, BTBAMs best song, love all parts of this song.

4. Rush - Subdivisions

My favourite Rush song from their 80ish influenced music. Great song, really shows Geddy's bass talent throughout.

3. Rush - Red Barchetta

Amazing song.

2. Rush - 2112 (not the whole thing here, but the whole thing would be brought with me, preferably a live version.

Love this song, it's essential Rush.

1. System of a Down - Holy Mountains

My favourite SOAD song, which is opposite most of their fans. Just love this song alot.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Quakmybush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: