ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Community vs Trogdor: Progress thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really cool that the community is trying to take down this song again. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Have you guys thought about what will be the method of "proof" that the FC(s) have been gotten in NTSC? I mean, I'd like to trust people on SH, but I can guarantee you if somebody gets the FC, the next thing people will claim is "I bet he did it on PAL!" So I'm just wondering if you guys have a plan for if/when that happens. Is there even any way to prove this is NTSC, or will we have the witwix drama going all over agian? IMO, we'll just be going in circles with the same arguments forever and ever until somebody FC's the song in a way that proves it without a doubt (which would be obscenely more difficult than just FCing the song, which is already obscenely difficult).

It would just be a shame to see the legit FC clouded by people crying "It doesn't count, I bet he used PAL!" :/

(Note: I know nothing of the NTSC vs PAL argument nor am I claiming either one is easier or whatever, I just know the nature of ScoreHero and that even if this thread produces something great, there will always be a level of doubt unless you guys have thought of something. I hope this doesn't start an argument or something cause I honestly hope somebody nails this FC.)

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
eddaket  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
It's really cool that the community is trying to take down this song again. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Have you guys thought about what will be the method of "proof" that the FC(s) have been gotten in NTSC? I mean, I'd like to trust people on SH, but I can guarantee you if somebody gets the FC, the next thing people will claim is "I bet he did it on PAL!" So I'm just wondering if you guys have a plan for if/when that happens. Is there even any way to prove this is NTSC, or will we have the witwix drama going all over agian? IMO, we'll just be going in circles with the same arguments forever and ever until somebody FC's the song in a way that proves it without a doubt (which would be obscenely more difficult than just FCing the song, which is already obscenely difficult).

It would just be a shame to see the legit FC clouded by people crying "It doesn't count, I bet he used PAL!" :/

(Note: I know nothing of the NTSC vs PAL argument nor am I claiming either one is easier or whatever, I just know the nature of ScoreHero and that even if this thread produces something great, there will always be a level of doubt unless you guys have thought of something. I hope this doesn't start an argument or something cause I honestly hope somebody nails this FC.)

Well, I think the only true way to tell the difference would be to watch the start-up and then the run right after, but restarting your PS2 for each run would be way too much to ask I think. The way I plan on *proving* it if I happen to FC it is to record it with my capture care. I have two TVs in my room right now, an LCD that PAL works on and a CRT that PAL does not work on. The CRT has audio/video out ports on it which I use, so the signal goes like this.

PS2 -> TV -> Dazzle -> Computer
----------V
---What I See/Hear

The PAL TV does not have these audio/video out ports (I can provide picture proof of this if necessary) and I don't own splitters. The only problem with this method is that I potentially could play PAL if I hook my PS2 directly into the Dazzle and play off the 320x240 preview window on the software I use (which would be more tedious than it's worth) and FCing it that way.

That leaves the other way I could potentially prove that I did it on NTSC is the one I would probably do in the event that I FC it is to record the screen with the camera I used for the video in the OP. After the run (and celebration) I shut off the PS2 and try to boot it in PAL and show how the screen differs. The video flickers like crazy when I play PAL on my CRT which would make either impossible to play without seizing, or incredibly obvious that it was on PAL. Then I would boot up normally again and show what it looks like normally, and show that it is the exact same as the FC run.
LocalH  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:

The best method of proof would be to record with a capture card at 640x480 (or 720x480), and leave the video interlaced (record it in MPEG-2 or something), and upload that raw file, avoiding YouTube, ustream, etc. If it was recorded on PAL, it would either be:

1) 720x576 at 25fps interlaced (50 fields per second), or
2) 640x480 at 25fps interlaced, or
3) 640x480 at 30fps but with frame blending, easily detectable, or
4) 640x480 at 30fps but with the whole video sped up, even more easily detectable

Also, it's possible to tell if a video has been resized to 640x480 at 25fps as the interlacing lines will be corrupted. The only way to get a 640x480, 30fps (60 fields per second) video is to record it on NTSC (well, or PAL-60, but it's my understanding that it's just as difficult to FC on PAL-60 as NTSC, and are there a lot of consumer devices that can cap a PAL-60 signal?). The only real thing that needs to be proved is that the video has 60 fields per second.

Something else to think about when doing your math, guys: NTSC doesn't actually run at 60Hz, it runs at approximately 59.94Hz (exact figure: 60000/1001 Hz), due to a necessary modification when color was added to NTSC video many decades ago. This may modify the precise numbers, so we actually might (key word, might) need two sets of math, tuned both to 60000/1001 Hz for NTSC, and 60Hz even for PAL-60. If this two-for-one thing truly has a single-frame hit window, then there will possibly be a difference between where one would need to strum (unless the game actually runs that miniscule amount slower overall on NTSC, and noone would be able to tell).

Alakaiser sez: POST BECAUSE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY, NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, great. I just don't want history to repeat itself, that's all. It'd be a shame if whoever got it didn't happen to get a video, though. Ah well, we'll just wait and see.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
thenewkidaw71  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Okay, great. I just don't want history to repeat itself, that's all. It'd be a shame if whoever got it didn't happen to get a video, though. Ah well, we'll just wait and see.

if they dont, they should take a stat screen vid without a capture card, and then restart their ps2/360 and show the ntsc designation on the system and the disc, and show their tv "area" and tv settings to prove that there are no mods, etc.

i think that would be proof enough, but i honestly dont get how the ntsc vs pal thing even works so no one quote me on that.

and i got a 99% on ps2 ntsc in a real run, it was -4, but i overstrummed after the orange hold so the score suckked

My Guitar Hero Acc. Thread / My Rock Band Acc. Thread / My Youtube / My Cult of Personality Guide / My Rock You Like a Hurricane Guide
Ontwikseltsaar wrote:
These charts look awfully fun so far. But hey, you can't spell Guiftaru Henro without f-u-n.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: iSWIMaw71
eddaket  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: THIS HAS FLAWS, READ ABOUT THEM HERE http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1642753#1642753

===

So I did some math out and here's what I am coming up with.

For all these calculations I am only counting the first 28 strums. The 29th (the O hold) isn't affected by the "close note" problem where the backend window gets cut. The section is 17.4667 notes per second (which we all can agree on).

For the 8 yellows, if you hit the first one 100ms early (got this number from strike's post. I don't know if it's legitimate) and the last one 28.63ms* late, you need to strum 13.2228 notes per second.

* - The notes are 57.25ms apart and according to strike, the latest you can hit a note is half way between the the note and the note after it.

This is where I start to get a little less sure about what I'm saying because of my lack of engine knowledge. Here, you hit the hammer on. I *assume* (please tell me if I am wrong) that hitting the hammer on DEAD ON will result in the note being registered as a hammer on and not as a strum. This means that immediately after the hammer on is hit, you can strum again. Rather than using the 57ms number from before for the front end for the first strummed blue, I used 50ms. Now, same thing. Hit the first blue 50ms early and the 5th (last) blue 28ms late and you get a whopping 13.0025 notes per second.

Doing the exact same thing with the oranges (starting 50ms early and ending 28ms late), you have to strum the 13 strums (remember, not the O hold) at 15.6730 notes per second. This seems way way way too low to me, but if the numbers I used are right (50ms, 28ms, 13 strums and 17.4667nps), then that's what it is... and it's possible.

What this means is you have to do the following.

-------
dudududuhdududhududududududud
13.2nps - 13.0nps - 15.7nps

^ Those are the absolute SLOWEST speeds you can do and hit them. You could also hit only the second hopo (the orange one) because the speed problems don't become an issue until you are in the oranges. That would give you 14.8 nps for the Y and the Bs. Hopoing the blue hammer on and strumming the orange one means you have to hit the Bs and Os at 16.2nps, which is pushing the limit. If we want to FC this section on NTSC, we need to at least use the O hopo.

---

Of course, I have no clue what the hopo engine is like. This also requires stop and go precision within 40 milliseconds. Just some food for thought.

tl;dr - If someone can FC

---------

With only 15 strums, the song is possible.

Last edited by eddaket on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:01 am; edited 2 times in total
ace5993  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marbler wrote:
I got a -2... I know it's not a -1, but the misses were 1 in the blues (which never happens) and 1 in the oranges (simply because I strummed too fast for that one split second). I don't care what any of you say, this FC will come to me. I will have this soon.

-2 is moderately hard, -1 is very hard, FC is just O_O, FC in a run is EVEN HARDER. Good luck but you're not even slightly close.
ukog-monkey  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K ima put a few mins into this everyday, hopefully I will get lucky. I will only do real runs tho, there is no skill involved lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: ti monkey75 PSN Name: MonkeyOnABike
Yewb  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
I'm personally gonna devote some time tomorrow to streaming Trogdor solo attempts, trying different methods in an attempt to find the chink in this song's armour... the chip in its windscreen... the 99 Lives code in its pre-PS1 platform game. Whatever. You know what I mean.

Ukog has said that it's impossible to overlap strums in PAL-60, but I don't know if I personally believe that. It might be the case that it's impossible - it might just be more difficult - but you can't strictly prove it's impossible, and it's therefore worth trying. Either way, I plan on trying it tomorrow on stream at some point. It'll be a laugh.

I played the solo (on PAL-60, not NTSC) over and over strumming once in the middle of each streak, on stream, for almost an hour and never once hit more than three notes. I tried with Hyperspeed and without, on Hard and Expert, on Full Speed and Slowest and pretty much every combination of the above. I'm not gonna say it's impossible yet, but I am gonna say that it might as well be.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
eddaket  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get home, I'm gonna make an audio file of strumming the exact slowest you should be able to (theoretically) hit the solo. I'll give two versions. Using both hopos and using only the O hopo. I'll also do both over the song audio so you know audibly when to start/stop strumming. If you want lower speeds (50% for slowest maybe?) let me know.

God I hope this is possible. That would rock .
dave0113  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
Yewb wrote:
I'm personally gonna devote some time tomorrow to streaming Trogdor solo attempts, trying different methods in an attempt to find the chink in this song's armour... the chip in its windscreen... the 99 Lives code in its pre-PS1 platform game. Whatever. You know what I mean.

Ukog has said that it's impossible to overlap strums in PAL-60, but I don't know if I personally believe that. It might be the case that it's impossible - it might just be more difficult - but you can't strictly prove it's impossible, and it's therefore worth trying. Either way, I plan on trying it tomorrow on stream at some point. It'll be a laugh.

I played the solo (on PAL-60, not NTSC) over and over strumming once in the middle of each streak, on stream, for almost an hour and never once hit more than three notes. I tried with Hyperspeed and without, on Hard and Expert, on Full Speed and Slowest and pretty much every combination of the above. I'm not gonna say it's impossible yet, but I am gonna say that it might as well be.

I'm of the belief that that 2/1 method does not work on the 360 at all, and that it is definitely a glitch tied to the hopo bug, which is also PS2 exclusive. I don't think this is a coincidence at all. I think anyone trying to work out an NTSC FC with the 2/1 method should definitely focus their efforts on the PS2.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave0113 wrote:
Yewb wrote:
Yewb wrote:

I'm of the belief that that 2/1 method does not work on the 360 at all, and that it is definitely a glitch tied to the hopo bug, which is also PS2 exclusive. I don't think this is a coincidence at all. I think anyone trying to work out an NTSC FC with the 2/1 method should definitely focus their efforts on the PS2.

BigFatBob said he got it to work on 360 so I wouldn't say it's completely certain that it doesn't work on 360.

I obviously won't try this (Never playing this fucking song ever again and I don't have a 360 anyway) but I really hope someone does get the FC.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that when/if the 2/1 glitch even happens that it will just cancel out your next strum on the next note no matter what.

Just imagine. It would have happened a few times to a few people out of the millions who have played this game in the middle of the orange streak, resulting in an NTSC FC. If you are about 25 ms behind the streak and the glitch happens, you will automatically be 30 ms or so ahead by the next note, resulting in it being much easier.

Even if the chances were, for example, 1 in 1000 of the glitch happening once, there would be a few NTSC FCs out there.

I may have to get my ps2 out and test the huge timing window again. and I might manipulate other aspects of the game to find out more about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strikebowler585 wrote:

Just imagine. It would have happened a few times to a few people out of the millions who have played this game in the middle of the orange streak, resulting in an NTSC FC. If you are about 25 ms behind the streak and the glitch happens, you will automatically be 30 ms or so ahead by the next note, resulting in it being much easier.

Are there really millions of people who have missed in the middle of the orange streak when a difference of a couple milliseconds and the presence of a glitch might have let them FC the song? I'm going with "no, the figure is more like a couple dozen at the absolute most and it's entirely possible that none of those people were in the right timing frame because the difference is less than 1/20 of a second", but hey, I don't want to doubt you.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
strikebowler585  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
strikebowler585 wrote:

Are there really millions of people who have missed in the middle of the orange streak when a difference of a couple milliseconds and the presence of a glitch might have let them FC the song? I'm going with "no, the figure is more like a couple dozen at the absolute most and it's entirely possible that none of those people were in the right timing frame because the difference is less than 1/20 of a second", but hey, I don't want to doubt you.

Millions of people have played guitar hero. And we have proven many times that out of the entire community, anybody can come out and do much in the game. That's what I was trying to get at.

And more than a couple dozen people have FCd Trogdor on PAL in the first place, so I think the figure may be more in the low hundreds for people who have at least had a chance. Out of all these people, it has only happened with no proof (apparently), but I don't want to talk about that cuz arguments will appear about what is/was legit or not.

Oh yeah, one more thing. ScoreHero isn't the only GH/RB community home to every player in the world. Keep that in mind. There could be some uber players out there that we've never heard of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: