ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Weezer Thread (Hurley out. Pinkerton Deluxe out Nov. 2)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: The Weezer Thread (Hurley out. Pinkerton Deluxe out Nov. 2) Reply with quote

Pinkerton Re-release News! Coming Nov. 2th!

Since people are talking about Weezer generally, I feel I might as well turn this into a general Weezer appreciation thread.

Original Post:
----------------------------
Weezer's new album "Hurley" is out 9/14 on Epitaph Records.

Rolling Stone interview w/ Rivers

New single, "Memories."

I honestly don't care, although some people probably do. I figure I might as well just say it. Yes. They really have a picture of Hugo "Hurley" Reyes as the cover of their album. That is the picture. As to why, there is probably some story about it somewhere.

About the album, Rivers said there was going to be more "raw, rock energy" in this album, and it was going to be heavier than their last album. It is also supposed to have some sort of 60s pop with heavy guitars vibe to it.

My thoughts on the new album/single.

Well, the bar is certainly low for this album, and all signs point to this album being better than Raditude. It makes you wonder though if they should have taken a break though. They have released 2 albums in the last 2 years, and this pushes both of those numbers to 3. While I don't necessarily mind them putting out a lot of music, at the same time I would rather it be good music and not Raditude. Weezer also say that they are "writing a new chapter" with this record, and they "say" they are going back to their roots. But those are just words....

As for the song, well... It's better than most Raditude. You would be fooling yourself to think they could actually make albums like they did in the 90s, but in terms of their newer stuff. The production isn't so clean and perfect, which is something I have really grown tired with on newer Weezer albums, so it's nice to hear some gritty guitars on a Weezer song again. Also, apparently Rivers can scream! I enjoyed everything that wasn't a verse or a chorus in this song, to be honest. They still have it somewhere.

Truth be told though, I just didn't feel the lyrics, nor the effect on Rivers voice. I'm not sure if it is auto-tune, but if it is, I am upset. Don't use auto-tune Rivers. I know you aren't using it to make an obnoxious effect like most pop/rap nowadays, but it doesn't sound natural when used with gritty guitars together. And I am also upset with Pat Wilson. triggered snares? Really? You're better than that too. Hell, it sounds like a damn drum machine.

I think this album might be pretty decent or maybe even good, but there are some obvious flaws that are going to make the album suffer if it shares a lot of qualities of the single. I'm probably going to check out the songs uploaded on YouTube (they always are....) before buying it. I don't want to get burned again, like when I bought Raditude.

In my opinion, Weezer doesn't have to release another Blue Album or a Pinkterton, but there's nothing wrong in hoping for another album as good as Maladroit or the Red Album.

Last edited by Hafkie on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:13 am; edited 7 times in total
MrYumYum  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered Raditude a mess, and a loss a lot of hope on Weezer. Memories is a different story though. It's very reminiscent of the Blue album which is arguably their best album, but it also has their more new pop sound. They've definitely gotten my attention.

Yeah, that album cover came out of no where, but I <3 Lost, so I'm ok with this.

<3 robbyx4595 for sex banner
Add me on XBL if you wish, just leave SH name in message.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: MrLeeChang16
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got around to buying Raditude, so the comparisons there are sort of wasted on me. The new single is certainly better than anything on the Red Album though, which is a start... hopefully Rivers has realised by now that Weezer shouldn't be a democracy, it's always better when he sings and writes the songs.

I'm not gonna comment on the album title or artwork, there'll be plenty of other people willing to explain just how bloody stupid it is.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Raikri999  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, this sounds too poppy to be Weezer.

When I heard Weezer was making a new album on the radio, I sighed. Rattitude was a really bad to me. This single makes me think they're getting worse.

I'll take apart what the OP said to show what my opinions are.

Quote:
I honestly don't care, although some people probably do. I figure I might as well just say it. Yes. They really have a picture of Hugo "Hurley" Reyes as the cover of their album. That is the picture. As to why, there is probably some story about it somewhere.
Here's the problem. If you didn't watch LOST, like me, I just thought you posted a picture of a fat guy with a chubby face in the OP. Not to mention, they're making a story about a guy in a story that they don't even own? Sorry, that's messed up, at least to me.

Quote:
About the album, Rivers said there was going to be more "raw, rock energy" in this album, and it was going to be heavier than their last album. It is also supposed to have some sort of 60s pop with heavy guitars vibe to it.
Well considering that most of Rattitude's sounds were techno, anything can be heavier than that. However, since it is techno, I doubt they can make the guitars heavier before going into grunge. "Memories" just makes me think that it won't happen. In fact, I think there's more 60's Pop in "I'm Your Daddy" from Rattitude.

Quote:
As for the song, well... It's better than most Raditude. You would be fooling yourself to think they could actually make albums like they did in the 90s, but in terms of their newer stuff. The production isn't so clean and perfect, which is something I have really grown tired with on newer Weezer albums, so it's nice to hear some gritty guitars on a Weezer song again. Also, apparently Rivers can scream! I enjoyed everything that wasn't a verse or a chorus in this song, to be honest. They still have it somewhere.
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to really disagree with you here. "Memories" seems like a 2000's pop song, rather than the 60's pop they were going for. Not to mention, I thought the guitars weren't that gritty, and it just didn't seem like Weezer really. It felt like they were trying to copy some other band, actually to be honest now that I think about it, it sounded like Nirvana->Beatles Chorus->Nirvana etc. etc., and that's not a joke. I just really didn't like it.

Quote:
In my opinion, Weezer doesn't have to release another Blue Album or a Pinkterton, but there's nothing wrong in hoping for another album as good as Maladroit or the Red Album.
Agreed.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I hated the single. The chorus just sounds awful, I can't describe it. It's probably bad singing or out of tune or something, just for the sake of the style. Either way it's not for me, no way. I didn't hear a single thing off of Raditude so I can't comment there. But this song, wow. Sorry if you're offended or something but man that hurt my ears.

For some background, I genuinely like Weezer and to me they're just "off" enough to be different but still have that familiar sound. Weird but not too weird, if that makes sense. The Red album is my favorite.

I know nothing of this album cover business but it certainly isn't worse than a lot of album art out there. :| I just hope the rest of the CD is better than that single.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
GuitarGeek08  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least Weezer is finally going to have an original, new album cover

I Don't Suck at GH
Xpertlefty13 quoting me in his Acc Thread wrote:
Honestly, thank you

This is the first real, well thought-out explanation I've seen
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raikri999 wrote:
Here's the problem. If you didn't watch LOST, like me, I just thought you posted a picture of a fat guy with a chubby face in the OP. Not to mention, they're making a story about a guy in a story that they don't even own? Sorry, that's messed up, at least to me.

Well according to this, the album isn't about Hurley. Rivers just couldn't find a good title for the album. He also liked this picture, but figured that if they just made it self titled, it would just be called "The Hurley Album" much like their colored albums (And it would break their tradition of self-titled albums too) So they just made it Hurley. It's certainly not conventional, nor is it the best album title. But I think it's not very unlike Weezer to do that either.

Since my "All Albums After Pinkerton are Good/Great/Meh/Great/Yuck/Great...etc." theory might not work out, I go with my other Weezer theory. "All albums created when Rivers Cuomo had long hair and/or a beard are great, and the album when he had a mustache was good too"

I was listening to disc 2 of the Deluxe Edition of Blue Album today. So many wonderful songs, and Pinkerton B-Sides and demos are also amazing. Weezer could easily make an album out of old unreleased material. Heres to hoping the Deluxe Edition of Pinkerton will also have a disc 2 loaded with some good unreleased songs. Hell, Make Believe, my least favorite Weezer album until Raditude, had some awesome songs that never made the album.
killzonedout  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put it above "Make Believe," "Red Album," and "Ratitude" cuts, but below "Green Album" material.

I miss the Blue/Pinkerton era, and Maladroit was a nice recover from Green. Anything of this sort would be welcomed, but that single... definitely not it.
evilpacman18  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust any bands whose average member age is over 40 and already have over 3 albums. Single was pretty good (coming from a Weezer fan who thinks Raditude was bad but not THAT bad and Maladroit is their best album) and I'd like for the album to be a bit harder (like Maladroit was) but I'm certainly not hoping for anything.

On-topic a bit: Favorite Weezer song? Mine is Burndt Jamb.
JODIsBack  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are just throwing out albums like crazy. Jesus.

Though maybe it'll be good. Their only bad albums are "Green Album", "Make Believe" and "Raditude".
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JODIsBack wrote:
These guys are just throwing out albums like crazy. Jesus.

Though maybe it'll be good. Their only bad albums are "Green Album", "Make Believe" and "Raditude".

Green Album was the LAST album where they were legitimately good. Red Album had hit/miss all over.

Memories was actually pretty damn good. I liked it a lot, and if they continued that way, I think I could listen to the new album.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
B-Fuzz  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, everything except for the choruses is okay, but like Hailz said, the chorus...bleh.

Speaking as if this is a general Weezer thread: I recently (a few days ago) made a blind purchase of Pinkerton because I heard it was good, and I loved it. (obviously, looking at my avatar) The only songs I really didn't like were Getchoo and No Other One. Every thing else was great, and Butterfly is so beautiful, I nearly cried. It's a shame that they haven't and won't do anything else like that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately i don't think Weezer is going to put out another album I'd find worth buying, nothing they have done in the last few years has appealed to me, but i don't believe any of it is "bad", just nothing I'm crazy about.

the last good album IMO was Maladroit, the album was extremely catchy and after listening to it through I immediately wanted to hear every track again, I don't think i can state the same for any of the recent stuff. The 90's stuff was the best, the blue album and pinkerton are played frequently on my Ipod.

Hafkie  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLonging wrote:

Green Album was the LAST album where they were legitimately good. Red Album had hit/miss all over.

I generally feel as if the green album lacked "soul" and every song just had this similar vibe to it. It's not really an album that you could listen the whole way through without getting a little tired of it. Although, I do love many songs off of it. It's still a really great album, I'd rank it fourth or fifth.

Maladroit, however was extremely diverse and I could probably listen to that album two times in a row without getting tired of it. In the span of five songs, you go from an irresistibly catchy tune (Keep Fishin'), to a hard rock jam (Take Control), to a slow and dreary song (Death and Destruction, to a very powerful Pinkertonesque song (Slob), and then cool off with a nice and relaxing song (Burndt Jamb).

All five of the songs are awesome in their own way, and the rest of the album is just as good. Maladroit is incredibly underrated in the Weezer fan base. (I'd almost say it is the "new Pinkerton")

As for the Red Album, well, I think the good outweighs the bad. Songs like "The Angel and The One," "Dreamin'," and "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" are really good, and you can't deny that Pork and Beans has a Blue Album vibe to it (Maybe not lyricly, but very much so in the instrumentation). Heart songs is also good, and Everybody Get Dangerous is decently good. Troublemaker is the only song by Rivers which I didn't like, only because it's too repetitive (The good part of the song being "You wanted arts and crafts, how's this for arts and crafts?") As for the non-rivers songs, I think Automatic holds it's weight pretty well. The other two I don't really care for, though.

Weezer will never make another Pinkerton, but to be honest, I don't want them too. Weezer has never had two similar albums, and I think Rivers doesn't want to just do the same thing the whole time. Not to mention that if Weezer had 4 Pinkertons...Pinkerton wouldn't be so special. Pinkerton is great because it is the only Pinkerton. This is why I also believe that new Weezer albums can still be good, even if they have gone a little bit down hill over the years. Weezer changes things up enough to leave that glimmer of hope in their music. Their new album can still be good, or even great. We'll just have to wait and see.
machchunk  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weezer will resume making good music once Rivers gets over his damn teen nostalgia/yearning.

*listens to "Memories"*

Keep waiting.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: