ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Official Unofficial PC building thread!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
So, after a week and a half I finally found out what was taking the RMA so damn long - they'd run out of that card so couldn't send me a replacement. Good of them to let me know.

Pricks.

I've told them to send me the 1050MHz edition instead. It should arrive tomorrow; if that craps out too I'll say fuck it and get a 770.

XFX isn't the greatest company in the world...

I hope this card lasts longer for you!
kirk7777  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I asked for advice in this thread a long time ago, but back then, I was really in no position to be able to afford PC gaming. Thankfully, it looks like I will be soon. I still am not knowledgeable enough about computer hardware to be able to assemble a PC on my own, so I'm looking at pre-built options. Here's the build I'm looking at. Is this build solid enough to handle 2013 games? Optional features I'm going to be adding are the 19" monitor, Windows 8, and a USB 3.0 port. This brought the price up to USD $811. My main concerns are that the graphics card may not be powerful enough, and that the 4GB of memory is too little (I've heard that 8GB is generally the way to go). Opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short version: No.

Long version: You really need a decent graphics card and PSU; a GT610 is about the cheapest card you can get and it'll fall over as soon as you try to push anything through it (look at the prices - it compares against the Radeon 6450, which is about four years old now), and a no-name 300W PSU isn't going to cut it. Go up to a minimum of a GT 650 - preferably Ti - and a 500W name-brand PSU, and remember those are minimums. 4Gb is just about okay for now - the main reason people recommend 8Gb is that there's no real reason not to with RAM being as cheap as it is at the moment.

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post, so I may as well make use of it - my new 1050MHz card runs like a dream. (91FPS on Bioshock now, and it's even stable!)

"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
kirk7777  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, how would it work if I switched to the 650 NZXT PSU, 8GB of RAM, and the GTX 660 2GB?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk7777 wrote:
Alright, how would it work if I switched to the 650 NZXT PSU, 8GB of RAM, and the GTX 660 2GB?

That's looking a lot more solid. Remember to look at Logical Increments from time to time, not for parts per se but to make sure you've got stuff from around the same sort of level. Most of your build is Superb/Excellent tier, while the 300W PSU and GT-610 was sub-Destitute - they'd have been a massive clog on the system. The new kit puts it all around the Superb mark.

Squirrel  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
Double post, so I may as well make use of it - my new 1050MHz card runs like a dream. (91FPS on Bioshock now, and it's even stable!)

That's good to hear, I'm glad that it was a bad card and something else
Desertman123  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally convinced my friend to sell his PS3 and laptop and get a gaming PC. It's budget, but it still rocks.

i3 3240 3.4ghz (was $5 cheaper than the 3220 clocked at 3.3ghz )
    EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost Superclocked 1GB
    8GB (2x4gb) of G. Skill 1866mhz RAM (was cheaper than most 8gb sticks, although being 1866)
    ASRock B75m mATX motherboard
    500W Coolermaster PSU
    Some Lite-On DVD drive
    Micro ATX Rosewill case
    1tb WD Blue hard drive (7200RPM)

This should be a nice treat over his laptop's i3 and intel graphics 3000
Xbox 360, Halo edition Jasper RGH1.2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: Desertman123
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a good starter rig. With those too, if he wants more power, its just a new processor to do it too.
Qarx  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, it's been a LONG time since I've posted, and I'm not sure how active this forum is anymore, but I've returned with another request for a build.

My brother wants a PC more or less on par with the one I've got, though given how long it's been, certain parts don't seem to be around or as common. Since I'm still not too familiar with parts, I'd appreciate recommendations once more! The budget is again $800, by the way.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
Want a game suggestion, or have one for the community? Click here!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Leprosy916  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qarx wrote:
Alright, it's been a LONG time since I've posted, and I'm not sure how active this forum is anymore, but I've returned with another request for a build.

My brother wants a PC more or less on par with the one I've got, though given how long it's been, certain parts don't seem to be around or as common. Since I'm still not too familiar with parts, I'd appreciate recommendations once more! The budget is again $800, by the way.

Does he have a monitor and keyboard/mouse and all that? Does he want to go wired or wireless? Reusing current HDD?

Just need to know what needs to be included in that $800.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Leprosy916 PSN Name: Leprosy916
Qarx  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leprosy916 wrote:
Qarx wrote:

Does he have a monitor and keyboard/mouse and all that? Does he want to go wired or wireless? Reusing current HDD?

Just need to know what needs to be included in that $800.

We're going to buy the monitor locally, so that's not included in the budget. He does need a keyboard+mouse, though.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention we'll need a HDD, too.

credits to Absoltastic and Pieman for making such awesome banners that aren't the one I made!
My Backloggery
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger PSN Name: Qarx64 Wii Friend Code: 4109996624097110
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD, SSD, SSD, SSD, SSD, SSD. biggest improvement you can make to any new rig.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Leprosy916/saved/h6WJ7P

Comes out to around $801 and change after rebates and discounts + shipping and tax. Let me know if you need any substitutions or anything, but the performance per dollar on that thing is pretty sick. It's around 25-40+% better performance than the build you linked depending on the application.

And I just realized I chose the same case as your build. Let me know if you actually got that one and don't want your brother's to match or something. That is just the cheapest case with good reviews. I could find something comparable, if you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Leprosy916 PSN Name: Leprosy916
Qarx  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leprosy916 wrote:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Leprosy916/saved/h6WJ7P

Comes out to around $801 and change after rebates and discounts + shipping and tax. Let me know if you need any substitutions or anything, but the performance per dollar on that thing is pretty sick. It's around 25-40+% better performance than the build you linked depending on the application.

And I just realized I chose the same case as your build. Let me know if you actually got that one and don't want your brother's to match or something. That is just the cheapest case with good reviews. I could find something comparable, if you want.

I got the Full Tower, myself, though I don't think he'll mind a Mid Tower.

Only complaint he had was for the keyboard/mouse, which I picked out replacements myself. Thank you very much for the recommendations!

My Backloggery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: