Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
A friendly discussion on the merits of rap/hip-hop music
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^What this guy said. Nothing more ironic could have happened.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
joekickass1234  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this guy (somewhat). Yeah, it would be pretty cool if rap/hip hop "never existed." The Rock genre would be much more popular and mainstream. I honestly do not enjoy listening to rap or hip hop so it would be a lie to say that I would rather have rap/hip hop exist.

Unfortunately for me and all others who agree with me, it was created and does exist. Oh well. I'm not going to complain about it on a forum site. I'm just going to say "I respect your opinion even though I think you completely wrong in what you think." C'est la vie. :\

3926 0220 0199 1364
machchunk  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you would want an entire form of expression that has done much good for blacks, trying to fully become societal equals to whites in America in the last half-century, and in general people in tough economic situations, to have never existed because you want to hear more rock music in public

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
tormentedbyu  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Talent

Now, Lil' Wayne on the other hand, HAS NO TALENT. I dare anyone to argue that point with me.
1)He can't rap even moderately fast.
2)His lyrics are always about something stereotypical... he is playing what he knows will sell and nothing else.
3)He's stupid and ugly as hell.
4)While arguing with me about this, my friend defended him by saying that scar on his face was from where he accidentally shot himself in the face with a shotgun while cleaning it. "He's so real." yep. Reallll fuckin stupid.
5)He does have some good beats, especially with subs. But oh yeah, he doesn't design his own beats, he buys them.
6)He rhymed yeast infection with geese erection.
7)HE BOUGHT HIS WAY INTO A GANG AFTER BECOMING A MILLIONAIRE. All this does is put more guns in the hood and get people killed. He only did this for attention and to seem cool. Ice T was the "Original Gangsta," he popularized gangsta rap. He grew up in the hood, in gangs. Then he became rich and famous. Now what has he done? He made something of himself. He's on fuckin Law and order, as a detective now.
Oh, and Ice-T also loves metal and has played in metal bands. Even though they were terrible.

I think his lyrics are clever at times. <.<

There are metaphors and similes in there that take some reading into. I like that side of his music just like I like that side of Eminem's. :|

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
So you would want an entire form of expression that has done much good for blacks, trying to fully become societal equals to whites in America in the last half-century, and in general people in tough economic situations, to have never existed because you want to hear more rock music in public

Well, it already happened to jazz.
Scorehero: Where the 5-note chord is undercharted.

Grinded that second one for 18 years.
Rocker0913  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I hate the rap that is getting massive playing in recent years. I'll get that out of the way right now.

However, there are always diamonds in the rough. Always. I believe in the fact that it's guaranteed that in any genre of music, be it techno, rap, rock, whatever, that there will be something that you will like if you look hard enough. Personally, I hate techno and electronic music in general, but some of my friends showed me to Daft Punk, and from what I've heard from them, they are actually good, I actually like some of their songs. I also don't like dance music, but I love What is Love by Haddaway. (Seriously, who doesn't like this song?)

Hell, to further my point, I'll go with a specific band, AFI. I hate their recent stuff, hate it to death. However, recently I've been looking through the classic soundtracks of the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games that I played when I was a kid like how we play Guitar Hero or Rock Band. What do you know, THPS3 had a song from AFI from 15 years ago or so that kicks ass.

Now with rap, there are good songs. Just sticking with the Tony Hawk games, I like these songs (granted, I might be looking through rose-tinted glasses towards my nostalgic childhood, but I still like them):
B-Boy Document '99 (Featuring Mos Def & Mad Skillz) - The High and Mighty
Subculture - Styles of Beyond
Amongst the Madness - The Nextmen

and the most prominent example:
alexhaz64 wrote:
EDIT: evidence that rap and metal can coexist peacefully.

You sir, win a copy of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 and the internet.

Now, I can relate a bit to what you're feeling. I love ska and alternative, but everyone is listening to the modern stuff on the radio. It's called an opinion, everyone will have one and not everyone will agree with your opinion. That will never change. Sure, I would love if more people knew about Streetlight Manifesto, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Catch 22, Save Ferris, Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish and a bit of the Suicide Machines, but there is nothing that I can do to make everyone say: "SKA 4 LIFE!!!" It's life.

EDIT: Screwed up the link to Mos Def and put the Nextmen again, fixed it.

Listening to: Dinosaur Jr., Planet Smashers, Streetlight Manifesto, Less Than Jake, Beatles

No banners. Why? Meh.

Last edited by Rocker0913 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RandomMaster913
Enchiridion  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocker0913 wrote:
B-Boy Document '99 (Featuring Mos Def & Mad Skillz) - The High and Mighty
Subculture - Styles of Beyond
Amongst the Madness - The Nextmen

Anything that Mos Def touches turns to gold, obviously. ;]

Anyway, I somewhat agree with the thread. More specifically, though, I hate the entire "gangsta" trend. I can't stand any "artist" that raps / sings about things that have absolutely no meaning (bitches, money, drugs, skeeting, being so strong they could just fight anyone and win). There are a few exceptions, like "Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangsta" by the Geto Boys (hilarious), but I like music that you can think about and that conveys a message that is more respectable than "phat" asses.

That being said, I've found a couple semi-underground artists and popular ones that break this trend, and I enjoy them quite much:
- Mos Def
- Talib Kweli
- Eminem
- Blue Scholars
- The Roots

Still looking for more.
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tormentedbyu wrote:
Vampyromaniac wrote:
Talent

Now, Lil' Wayne on the other hand, HAS NO TALENT. I dare anyone to argue that point with me.
1)He can't rap even moderately fast.
2)His lyrics are always about something stereotypical... he is playing what he knows will sell and nothing else.
3)He's stupid and ugly as hell.
4)While arguing with me about this, my friend defended him by saying that scar on his face was from where he accidentally shot himself in the face with a shotgun while cleaning it. "He's so real." yep. Reallll fuckin stupid.
5)He does have some good beats, especially with subs. But oh yeah, he doesn't design his own beats, he buys them.
6)He rhymed yeast infection with geese erection.
7)HE BOUGHT HIS WAY INTO A GANG AFTER BECOMING A MILLIONAIRE. All this does is put more guns in the hood and get people killed. He only did this for attention and to seem cool. Ice T was the "Original Gangsta," he popularized gangsta rap. He grew up in the hood, in gangs. Then he became rich and famous. Now what has he done? He made something of himself. He's on fuckin Law and order, as a detective now.
Oh, and Ice-T also loves metal and has played in metal bands. Even though they were terrible.

I think his lyrics are clever at times. <.<

There are metaphors and similes in there that take some reading into. I like that side of his music just like I like that side of Eminem's. :|

"Geese erection" is a metaphor for communism.

Ok, that was a joke, but seriously "underwear" does not rhyme with "year" just because they end in the same three letters. You may call that clever, but to me it just brings us right back to "reallll fuckin stupid"

Last edited by Xtresso on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shreddies  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Wayne sucks. FACT. His suckitude transcends the 'lolopinions' argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTurfn7vvCk&ob=av3e

/nuff said

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchiridion wrote:

Still looking for more.

A Tribe Called Quest
I don't really know what the fuck Camp Lo is rapping about
Common
Goodie Mob
Kanye West
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth
The Pharcyde
O.C.
Organized Konfusion
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
evilpacman18  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit - ignore this if OP is troll

Only read OP, didn't bother to read posts because rage was too intense:

FUCK YOU, YOU IMBECILE. Being a good rapper requires ridiculous amounts of natural talent. Any decent rapper is a better songwriter than any Rock musician could ever possibly hope to be. As someone who loves Rock, Rap, and many other genres of music equally, I can say without bias that Rap requires more talent. Rock requires dedication to learn how to play instruments well but Rap takes certain skills that people are lucky to be born with, and are nearly impossible to attain with any amount of practice. The two genres focus on different aspects of music. Rock focuses on instrumental talent, Rap focuses on songwriting. No Rapper will ever be fucking Ritchie Blackmore on guitar but no Rock musician could ever hope to have the song writing talent of OutKast or Blackalicious. Fucking idiot metalheads like you give a great genre such a bad name. You're stubborn, ignorant, condescending, and you don't have the ability to respect other peoples' opinions and force your own on them. You don't deserve the fucking right to have an opinion, the way you abuse it, dumbass.

Twang wrote:
I always thought of T-Pain as more RnB. And add E.Town Concrete to your list of rap/rock/metal bands.

More rap recommendations:
Atmosphere
Aesop Rock
Brother Ali
Busdriver
Deltron 3030
Danger Mouse and Jemini
Jedi Mind Tricks
MF Doom

Busdriver!

Last edited by evilpacman18 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: evilpacman1742 Wii Friend Code: 2190049606085350
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
Kanye West

This.

If you can separate the man from the music - because, let's face it, he's a buffoon of the highest order - he's genuinely very good at what he does.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilpacman18 wrote:
no Rock musician could ever hope to have the song writing talent of OutKast or Blackalicious.

Now YOU are the one trolling. Do you even know what song writing is?
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
evilpacman18  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
evilpacman18 wrote:
no Rock musician could ever hope to have the song writing talent of OutKast or Blackalicious.

Now YOU are the one trolling. Do you even know what song writing is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaFygeknae8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foEU2WHdOzA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRglOSBV2VE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQuY2w5vCuA

I don't think you do.
RichardGHP  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought I would see the day. But I agree with MetalheadNorm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: