Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
In Dreams Awake - My Band On iTunes!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davesterio  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: In Dreams Awake - My Band On iTunes! Reply with quote

http://www.facebook.com/indreamsawakeMI <----(New recordings here)
(Metalcore, sounds like Attack Attack!, Woe Is Me, and Memphis May Fire)

We just released our first single "Without You" on iTunes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KN9WCu2nGQ
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/without-you/id482746919?i=482746923

The band has been rebuilt from the ground up, we do all our own recordings, all members have only been playing their instruments for 2 years and we've only been recording for 1 year. If you guys like the single I encourage you guys to pick it up<3

Last edited by Davesterio on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:36 am; edited 8 times in total
Davesterio  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New song up(:
"No Down Payment EVER!"
It's got clean vocal choruses, breakdowns, and a sick techno ending.
You guys should all check it out!
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I just realized you posted this thread a month ago and got ZERO replies. I'm listening to Awakened right now, and bro I LOVE the keyboard and synth effects in the song. Nice guitar tone too, really the whole song is pretty awesome. Auto-tune is 'wat?' but really not bad like I was expecting when you mentioned. Harsh vocals go well with the musical style too. That song has the rare quality of me having almost no suggestions for improvement. 94/100
As for the other song, it started weak compared to the Awakened, and had some parts that needed improvement (whereas Awakened didn't really have a lot of flaws) but I would also like to say that after a second listen I realized the inferior parts of the song are better than my initial judgement, probably cuz I had just heard Awakened which is so awesome. Clean vocals are somewhat weak in many areas (compared to the harsh vocals) and the first half, while interesting, is not nearly as eventful and progressive as awakened or the second half of NDP. The outro (and riffs immediately prior) are awesome though, and was a risk that definately paid off. Transition was pretty flawless... reminded me of the song "Bloodpact" by Deadlock in that those two are the only hardcore/metal songs that successfully pulled off a transition from heavier music to techno, excluding industrial. 86/100
Anything over a 90 is very rare for me, and usually reserved for djent or symphonic music. 95 represents music that I see as having no real flaws. Places that something could have been done better, but no real flaws. This shit is sick.
One new thing to experiment with, that I think could complement your musical style, would be to have some fast breakdown rhythms with maybe some odd time signatures, perhaps like Born of Osiris uses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrH4nV6Qbg&feature=related
^Like the riff at around 1:31. It reminds me a lot of how you mix your synths and guitars, except in this example they're using more complex rhythms. It can be very difficult to get used to strange time signatures and playing "mathy" musical styles, but it would definitely sound amazing with your style if you can pull it off. I certainly like that you have more diversity than that band though. You guys have a LOT of potential... I've listened to your two songs about 3 times each already. I have a very small sample size here, but I'd much rather listen to your stuff than say, an average song by TDWP, even though they have some very nice stuff. If you complete an album and most of the songs are the same quality as those two, it'll be one of my favorite albums.

Last edited by Vampyromaniac on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Vampyromaniacal
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for double post, clicked quote instead of edit.
Davesterio  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the support(:
Yeah there's some things we still have to work on, we basically did NDPE vocals in one session but we kept going around the house doing stupid stuff (like making the studio update haha). But we'll probably re-record every song we make.

We are going to be produced by Nick's (one of our guitar players) brother, this is his band: www.myspace.com/harperinmusic

We hope to release some new stuff soon and we really appreciate the support from everyone. Like people at our school come up to us in school saying they really like it and we seem to be making a small fanbase already(:

EDIT: Actually I just realized that everything on Harper's myspace was recorded before Nick's brother (Alan) got his studio so it will sound over 10x better than that.
newmandn311  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude after 5 seconds I loved it . Of course I listened to all of you're songs on there. I have to say I like it.
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went to Harper's page... their clean vocals sound better than In Dreams Awake but IDA has better harsh vocals, more technical instrumentation, more abstract ideas (electronica outro), and just better overall song composition, IMO.

Then again I didn't really listen to all of the songs on harper's page. Riffs like the one at 3:45 in 'Hence the World Seems' are awesome though, with the melodic (tapping?) guitar overlaying the heavier rhythm guitars.
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only two questions for you guys; why the fuck aren't you famous yet, and can I have an album?
Set all the tax rates to 9.
Davesterio  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenYourEyes wrote:
I have only two questions for you guys; why the fuck aren't you famous yet, and can I have an album?

We haven't done any shows yet so people don't really know who we are outside of our school and people who stumble upon it on Myspace.

Once we finish recording our EP we'll start playing shows and maybe even get some stuff up on iTunes?
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic. I'd buy an album of that stuff, no question.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
machchunk  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why everyone else is saying this awesome or anything; it just sounds like typically bad metalcore with a keyboard that doesn't fit in at all and a singer with a poor, winded growl. Ditch the breakdowns for a start, you're not good at them. You're not good at writing melodies either. Maybe just have him yell when he's not growling. And for some reason he fell out of sync during "Awakened" lol. "No Down Payment EVER!" is marginally better than "Awakened", but dear god change that vaguely nu-metal riffing somehow. The "techno" part at the end actually isn't bad though.

With Harper, they dressed like Born Again poser dweebs so I was expecting nothing, aaaaand I got nothing. Yep. Basically the same problems with In Dreams Awake but worse.

Hey, at this rate, if I don't say it, no one else will. You would get it harder if you posted this on a big dedicated music forum.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
Davesterio  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
Don't know why everyone else is saying this awesome or anything; it just sounds like typically bad metalcore with a keyboard that doesn't fit in at all and a singer with a poor, winded growl. Ditch the breakdowns for a start, you're not good at them. You're not good at writing melodies either. Maybe just have him yell when he's not growling. And for some reason he fell out of sync during "Awakened" lol. "No Down Payment EVER!" is marginally better than "Awakened", but dear god change that vaguely nu-metal riffing somehow. The "techno" part at the end actually isn't bad though.

With Harper, they dressed like Born Again poser dweebs so I was expecting nothing, aaaaand I got nothing. Yep. Basically the same problems with In Dreams Awake but worse.

Hey, at this rate, if I don't say it, no one else will. You would get it harder if you posted this on a big dedicated music forum.

Every band is going to get a wide variety of criticism. We accept that.

But actually I just want to say that there is a huge difference in saying either someones music is bad or that you don't like their music. Just because you don't like something, that doesn't make it bad. How people dress has nothing to do with the sound of the songs.

I also just want to ask what bands do you listen to?
machchunk  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got over "preface everything by saying it's your opinion" a while ago. I was just rather surprised what I listened to didn't even halfway live up to the praise in this thread.
Davesterio wrote:
How people dress has nothing to do with the sound of the songs.

Yea I know all about "correlation =/= causation". That doesn't mean there isn't a correlation, so why is it a problem if I expected it to be bad and still listened?
Quote:
I also just want to ask what bands do you listen to?

http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/machchunk/r0.5-5.0
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
Davesterio  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through those artist I don't really see anything that's like IDA so you don't really seem to listen to anything like it which is why it probably doesn't appeal to you but judging by what people have been saying it appeals to a lot of others.
machchunk  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davesterio wrote:
Looking through those artist I don't really see anything that's like IDA so you don't really seem to listen to anything like it which is why it probably doesn't appeal to you but judging by what people have been saying it appeals to a lot of others.

Eh, I listen to a lot of the stuff that influenced metalcore, at least the modern day form, and I find the bands held up to be the best of it (Converge, Botch, Dillinger Escape Plan, Poison the Well) pretty decent. I hear a lot of bad metalcore though, and this shares all their traits. I know it doesn't mean a heck of a lot and you have a lot of support, so why state the obvious? But if you can't take anything from your criticism than "Haters gonna hate", your music is not going to stand the test of time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: