ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock - Preview and Impressions!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Guitar Hero News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCirri  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock - Preview and Impressions! Reply with quote

On Wednesday, several ScoreHero members and I were flown out to a press event in San Francisco to preview Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock.

Amongst the highlights include Dave Mustaine playing his own song (yes he was there), and Barfo getting his own achievement. Details, videos and pictures to come, plus our personal impressions of the game and its new controllers will be added to the following posts below. Feel free to ask questions and we'll do our best to answer them.

A demo is available on the XBL marketplace now, and it won't be long before release in just a few weeks on Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii:
  • Friday, Sept. 24 - Europe
  • Tuesday, Sept. 28 - North America
  • Wednesday, Sept. 29 - Australia

Huge thanks to Activision and Neversoft for this opportunity yet again. It was great fun to see everyone, and you guys are awesome!

Last edited by JCirri on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:21 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: JCirri821 Wii Friend Code: 1455611809021899
socrstopr  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and gents, time for me to try and add some new info!

To start I'd like to thank the folks at Activision / Neversoft, especially Jordan Dodge, for getting us out there. This event was a blast and a fantastic opportunity for us to get you some info straight from the source!

I started out trying to help JC, elx and Barfo progress through career mode since there were 10 or so songs locked from playability until you beat the Quest. However, we were having numerous issues with the drums at that station. Most of these problems were just the kit sliding all over the place, but I managed to limp through the Offspring song while hitting a 4x 3 times. At the start of the next song I paid attention and noticed some cross-talk from red to blue and green to blue, so I decided to not bother with that kit any more.

That being said, every other drum kit I played on worked perfectly! They feel really small, perhaps from never playing a 5 lane kit unless it's elx' Rolands which are huge, but it worked very well from what I played on drums, which was quite a bit of the evening for me.

Bat Country is a blast on drums, I played both X and X+, but since i've hardly ever played double bass that effort was pretty laughable Also issues with kits and pedals sliding all over the place didn't help! Lasso was pretty tough to sightread as well, crazy hippies...

I also tried to play Fury of the Storm on drums. I started on X+, quickly turned hyperspeed way up, and then even more quickly dropped to regular expert, at which point I continued to flail and not hit anything. I don't care who you are, D444 drums ain't fun D: (opinion, obviously :p )

Moving on to guitar, the new guitars felt excellent. Obviously we have no idea how they'll hold up in the long run, but they play very solidly. I've been using my Les Paul since GH3 (OK, I did have to buy 1 new one) and am adamant that a working Les Paul is the best plastar out there. This one has a chance to beat it, or at least come very close. Frets felt fine, strumbar is just the way a like it, tough with a click, and over the next couple weeks I'll be playing with it more to look for any more info on it

I'm also dubbing it the WoRtar (pronounced war-tar), but you kids can call it what you like.

Ton of fun guitar charts in this game, and plenty of knucklebusting, facemelting massacres I won't pass for a while too. Vids are coming out left and right, but I'll mention a couple things of interest.

BWoLP is awesome, and very difficult. The tapping solo at the end is a wall like no other, IMO.

FotS was tough to judge, as when I played it, I kept failing out at the easiest spots (we had 3 guitarists going). I kid you not I failed in the YYGGBBGGYYGGBBGG part... I want to blame overstrumming, but I only noticed this behavior during fast strumming, slower chugging was perfectly fine *dunnoface* Other than those issues it seemed totally playable, and then we hit the tapping solo and all of us bombed out. It's not tapping notes, it's just regular hammerons, and it's quicker than quick. I'm sure you crazy beasts out there will walk all over it as in essence it's not much different than the ttfaf intro (I think it's the same speed?), but it does move around on the root note and the pattern changes, so it is much more difficult in my opinion. It's also mid song, which makes it that much harder to begin with.

Didn't get a chance to play bass, but saw some open note sustains. They look funky, but easy to adjust to.

That's all I can think of for now, and I've got some work to do, but please feel free to ask questions and our memories may trigger Oh yeah, pictures!

Awesome flash drive
New guitars for everyone!
The man of the hour shredding away

#YAGB

Last edited by socrstopr on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: socrstopr
Barfo  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My head is still very disorganized, and I have tons and tons to say, so in the interest of getting this stuff rolling, Ill just rattle off some things off of top of head:

I played a bunch of quickplay+ mode, and a bunch of quest mode (starting at the fourth character and up until but we did not quite beat the 8th character). One thing that jumped out at me was that quest and QP+ are very very dsitinct and in some ways have a pretty big wall between them (this is a good thing: they each give unique and distinctly meaningful experience). Quickplay+ is essentially pretty similar to a blend of old quickplay (in terms of the interface of picking a song out of a big sortable list) and the career mode from GH5 (in terms of scoring based on stars etc). Essentially, nothing significant seemed to be lost since pretty much QP+ seems to cover the same ground as GH5 QP+career mode (without a pointless career interface). Note also that there is a rank-based system for getting unlocks, etc that is based on total number of stars, in a way similar to WT/GHM but based on stars, not money (with 42 stars available per song). challenges seemed to be: 3 gtr, 2 bass, 2 vox, 2 drums, and 3 band ones for every song. first challenge for each instrument is always a 'beat this score' one, and the first two band ones are always traditional and nontraditional band score. according to the challenge description, standard band is any band of two or more with no duplicate instruments, while non-standards is any band of two or more with at least two of the same instrument, so hopefully that will make it a bit easier to get standard band achs, etc. the other challenge spots (2 gtr, 1 each of the other instruments+band) are the more typical challenges seen in GH5 plus a few unfamiliar ones. i played almost all guitar, but i looked at the other ones, for gtr it seemed to have a larger balance of 'hit all of a certain color note, or chord' than in GH5 but im not really sure on that. also saw one for 'shake the guitar controller while SP is active for x seconds' (presumably this uses the tilt sensor?). also there is a power challenge that does not count in the 42 possible stars for each song, i played quickplay first and no powers were unlocked so i couldnt play it - looks like its just 'play song with your choice of two unlocked powers to try and get highest score' and i was told by some dev that that does support leaderboards.

On the other hand, quest mode doesn't overlap with QP at all, its pretty much feels very much like its own animal (this is a good thing as it sort of makes it meaningful to play through all of quest mode and then go through and play through all of the QP+ mode, though i figure some people might not look at it that way). I was very very skeptical of not having score visible in quest mode, but since you have a meter that is counting up (power) stars it ends up working pretty well actually. In quest mode you dont even really have the same stars as in quickplay (or previous guitar heroes), you just have power stars which seem to obey all kinds of (slightly) different rules depending on the character(s) you are using. Also one thing that wasnt obvious from listing all of the powers, is that when you first play as the character you get a weaker version of the power (for ex lars multi only goes up to 5x, and echo gets only 5% SP per 10 notes streak), then when you beat their chapter, you get the upgraded power (to for ex 6x and 10%) and play an encore song. This makes the upgraded power feel extra awesome. To unleash the warrior version is based on number power stars collected in that chapter (similar to advancement in GHM/GH5/BH, except it has to be in that chapter). It seemed like most chapters have about 7-8 songs in them and it seems to usually take about 4-5 songs at least to get enough stars to unlock. Because its a soft ceiling on number of power stars it actually creates some tension, as JC and I were playing through and we were having with some powers a very tough time to get 6 stars, so when you have say 12 stars to go, you know if you want to do it in two more songs (we were rushing to try to get to end of quest during 4 hour event) you HAVE to get 6 stars on both songs, which for example in Lars' chapter was really really hard.

The combination of taking out the score and replacing it with a bar that fills up as you collect stars (i guess this goes to 40 or something? we were only really able to get up to 6 or 7 with the SP and multi based powers, JC played 2112 while i was eating dinner and i saw him get to about 16-20 with four powers at once) as well as various unique (and surprisingly meaningful) powers, really gave me a feeling of very unique, interesting gameplay. Surprise power of the night: Casey's shield power, which i thought was going to be really lame, but because of how they implemented it (the shields recharge after 3-4 seconds), it makes a very neat change in the dynamic, to wit: if you only are making one mistake at a time or so and spacing them far enough apart during the song then you can keep your 4x multiplier which is a neat feeling (this sort of throws off the literal definition of 'full combo' though.. ;) ).

The rush venue looks crazy and at the point when you play it (halfway through quest after 4 characters are unlocked) you play it with all four powers at once which is really nuts, since Austin's power + Echo's power means you activate SP after the first phrase in the song and as long as theres no parts with long breaks, you pretty much dont lose SP for the duration of the song. crazy, fun stuff.

tons more. I noticed that the censoring on wish was not too bad, all they did was take out 'fuck' the three times or whatever it appears in song, and they leave enough of the sound going into it that it wasnt jarring and terrible like on band hero: 'bullets from a ___' or american pie.. 'fist f...' it sounded like they said. Brian bright told me that version of fascination street they have on there is new version mixed by robert smith himself.. it sounded awesome.. Long sustains with tons of strums on other notes in middle captures the distorted guitar sound really well (though i have no idea nor any care if that is musically sensible).

Other thign i noticed is that inside QP+ the challenge screen is pretty deep. If you play the song normally, then the challenge awards just pop (with a little icon) as you get them. But you can also view the challenges on a song individually, and pick one to go for which will bring up a progress meter into the HUD, that basically is the same one from GH5/BH. Also, you can view each challenge individually and see your exact performance on it. So for example there was a challenge say to hold out 80 seconds of sustains in the song (number picked at random) or hit 75 tap notes (AFI song tap note solo was short but insane), then when you look at the song challenges again it will show you exactly how much you got on it, such as 74.6 seconds of sustains, or 61 tap notes hit, etc. It also shows up a leaderboards of the performance on that specific challenge. The demo units we had setup there were not set up to online, but i saw option to filter by friends, etc. Confirmed with dev that this is the case for each of the 12 challenges individually across every song of the game (and i presume also DLC etc since didnt they say old songs also would have challenges - nothing but on disc songs on the stations i played at, unfortunately).

Also i was busy collecting the best ach ever in a rhythm game:

Song choice was intentional, due to the fact that bush usually has low BPM, plus the song title i felt was particularly apt for this endeavor. I had brought a camera to specifically record my run, but i had technical difficulties and couldnt get it working (retractable lens cover was cracked during travel and would not open). Big thanks to JC for taking pic for me. Several NSFT people pretty much confirmed to me that i was almost certainly the first person to get this achievement (other than i presume QA people).

Also i kind of suck (and am rusty at) gtr, but one thing i noticed was that of the 30+ songs i played on x gtr, there were a lot less 'gimme' songs than in GH5 or BH. Its of course always harder to play at an event, where for example the sound is crappy and there are lots of distractions, but i pretty much only managed one full combo on sightread (kiss love gun and i actually got fairly lucky). Sort of reminded me of GH1/GH2 where sure not every song is final tier material, but pretty much every song even the easy ones had some parts that were kind of a challenge - slow hands and fascination street i both expected to be much easier, and wish had this insane chord change (reminds me of march of pigs RBDLC chart) and a bunch of other craziness, i barely got 3 stars on that. And forget about Lars' chapter songs, i was terrible at that, even working together and with multipliers that go to 5x, there was one song (i forget which) that we barely got to 3 power stars on (thankfully we only needed 2 to release pigLars)

* new guitars: I was pretty impressed with the new guitar, best one in my opinion since les paul (though i still prefer SP button placement on LP). Its pretty light, the buttons feel great, though they maybe are raised up a bit more than some other models, the strum bar feels fantastic, and the way the start button is only on one side and raised up so much its much much easier to not accidentally hit it while activating star power. The placement of the xbox guide button/dpad stick is the worst yet (base of guitar) but that is a pretty damn unimportant thing for most people hopefully.

* Glimpsed line in the 'Extras' menu: 'Remote Players: Show/Hide'. no online of course at demo, but sounds FANTASTIC for those of us with shitty/small TVs.

* Spent about 1.5 seconds in character creator, looks exactly same as Gh5/earlier. Band setup for non-played characters in QP mode is same as in GH5. It still does the dumb (i think, others like it) where it overrides your singer choice (if not played instrument) in order to gender match the song. One thing i did notice is that in quest mode, your instrument is played by character whose chapter it is, but rest of the band is filled in by other character creator style characters. Neat touch: they are different in each chapter and seem to match the 'style' of the chapter, ie punkers in johnny, black metal in lars, gothy in pandora, etc..

Last edited by Barfo on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:43 pm; edited 6 times in total
elx  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

placeholder
toymachine  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get into more specifics later but these are things that stood out for me:

The new drums are amazing- totally solid and responsive the only down side was when we tried to play X+ the stage surface made the drumset slowly drift away from us.

HYPERSPEED CAN BE ADJUSTED IN PARTY PLAY MODE!

Suffocated by Orianthi was awesome on drums and from what I saw of the guitar chart it was awesome on that as well.

BWoLP completely destroyed us- I think elx was the only person that really combo'd anything.

Wish has a riff that both evy and I completely sucked at hitting and there is a lot of censorship Won't matter though because I'll be filling in the blanks when I play it on vocals.

RX Bandits was a lot of fun on drums- tons of variety.

Fury Of The Storm on X+ drums... Good Luck. Socrstopr can elaborate.

Deadfall vocals... Fast chart is fast.

The Dillinger Escape Plan was fun to sing and elx said it was fun on guitar.

Re-Ignition (Live) was quite fun on drums and there was a solo that seemed to have came from out of nowhere.

Dave Mustaine was practicing GH before he played Sudden Death and I saw him scroll directly to expert because well... He's Dave Mustaine.

I can't exactly remember specifics about this but I think during a Band Moment section in one of the songs I hit a sustain on drums and it looked like everything was glowing. Looked really cool.

Open Note Sustains feel very natural and look cool when whammied.

I hit many of those clear red notes on drums- I think they only appeared in X+ though.

Pictures:

Videos:

Setting Fire To Sleeping Giants - Vox/Guitar

Snot - Deadfall Vox/Guitar

Fury Of The Storm - Guitar / Drums

Renegade - Guitar / Drums / Vocals

Bohemian Rhapsody - Guitar / Vox / Drums

Losing My Religion - Guitar / Vox / Drums

Last edited by toymachine on Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:30 pm; edited 9 times in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: cRANKbALL
FrankieB  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

placeholder
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FRANK1E B
JCirri  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a majority of my time at the event playing through Quest mode, mostly on guitar and bass. Given that we had 4 hours, part of the plan going in was to take shifts and keep one console setup constantly moving forward through quest mode in hopes to get through everything. We ended up finishing just shy of unlocking the final character's ultimate power, so there's no telling what happens after that. But each character has a sequence of songs to choose from and a required number of "power stars" necessary to unlock their power. You can see how this works from the demo where the first character, Johnny Napalm, is playable in quest mode. I thought I'd be turned off from the powers and lack of score, but the power stars definitely kept it fun and Barfo and I enjoyed many moments of triumph when reaching the next power star at the end of a song.

In terms of the new guitar controller, I really liked the overall feel and it's quite possibly my new favorite. The frets were really responsive and I didn't have any issues with over or under strumming in fast streams across all the controllers I used throughout the event. The strum bar at first felt a bit strange because it doesn't stick out as much as usual so there's less surface area to grip. But aside from an initial "that's different" reaction, it posed no problem for me in gameplay and after several songs I adapted and no longer even noticed. The whammy and select button mimics the GH5 model. I had no problems with the whammy, and will defer to others on the select button since I primarily tilt-activate.

There's much more to add and I'll edit as thoughts come to mind.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this guys, this is great.

One question: are the band challenges mandatory? Because aside from when I can occasionally find people online my GH experience is very much a solo affair. (Which was precisely the reason I couldn't 100% GH5 or Band Hero >_>)

EDIT: Good to know Suffocated is awesome. And Hyperspeed in Party Play too.

Last edited by DVDSmith on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
titans77  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure you guys are going to add more later on but

1.What is up with the ranking progress. Is there a rank cap or is it infinite. (I guess my question applies more to an online ordeal, which you guys don't know about...)

2.Since you guys had 4 hours to play Quest Mode and didnt finish, is it safe to say that if you run through Quest Mode as fast as possible, will it take longer than 4 hours. Or did you guys fail a couple of times or run into other circumstances to prevent 4 hour completion? How much estimated time did you have left on Quest Mode?

Big thanks in advance, even if you dont/cant answer my questions

socrstopr wrote:
Placeholder.

#YAGB

Ohhhhhhhhhh Grizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Kiyrugoji in response to the heroin hero t-shirt dilema wrote:
Maybe it's not what we all think... maybe he just wants a Pepsi.
just one pepsi.
and she wouldn't give it to him

Last edited by titans77 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hafkie  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:

* Glimpsed line in the 'Extras' menu: 'Remote Players: Show/Hide'. no online of course at demo, but sounds FANTASTIC for those of us with shitty/small TVs.

If that has a way to see if other people are activating SP, then this could be the most epic thing ever. I love interface tweaks. I hope the gem-color tweaks are back, but I would be okay if they weren't.
Warhiem  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks for all the amazing info guys! I can't wait for this game to come out.

Barfo  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans77 wrote:
1.What is up with the ranking progress. Is there a rank cap or is it infinite. (I guess my question applies more to an online ordeal, which you guys don't know about...)

There are a quasi-finite number of stars (42 per song), so its probably finite (if you repeat songs without scoring any 'new' stars you dont get any more stars towards your rank). Now maybe DLC etc adds to your number of stars (it probably does). I didnt explore all the menu screens (just many of them) but all i saw was 'X stars to next level', I played about 15 or more songs on quickplay+, and got to about level 15 or so.. On guitar you can often get 10-14 stars at once (5/6 for score plus 9 more if you diamond all three guitar challenges). It seemed that stars per level were progressive (gets bigger each rank) but it wasnt hugely so (i think to get to rank 16 from 15 took about 20 total?). I was goign up almost one rank per song or every other song. I unlocked wormhole venue at rank 9 and the unlockables screen said next venue was at rank 40-something (i think 43 but maybe 45 or 46), so there are at least that many ranks..

Quote:
2.Since you guys had 4 hours to play Quest Mode and didnt finish, is it safe to say that if you run through Quest Mode as fast as possible, will it take longer than 4 hours. Or did you guys fail a couple of times or run into other circumstances to prevent 4 hour completion? How much estimated time did you have left on Quest Mode?

Roughly id estimate, probably 4 to 5-ish hours if you go quickly. We were going pretty fast we werent failing or anything, though in a few cases with if we'd gotten one more power song on a song or two we could have transformed with one less song in a chapter. We weren't skipping cutscenes (can you do this? id expect so but forgot to try) or the song ending focus thing, that might save 10-20 minutes or more. Overall you have ot play probably 50-60% of the songs, id guess. I cant believe that whatever would come after the 8th character power unlocks could have been too many songs.

Quote:
One question: are the band challenges mandatory? Because aside from when I can occasionally find people online my GH experience is very much a solo affair. (Which was precisely the reason I couldn't 100% GH5 or Band Hero >_>)

Depends a bit on what you mean by mandatory. none of the challenges are mandatory in terms of beating the quest (in fact there are no challenges in quest). IN terms of QP+ the term 'mandatory' is sort of inapt, as its like previous quickplay in terms of just being a blank sandbox in which to play and record scores/challenges. In terms of getting 2000 stars (highest # for which there is an achievement) it shoudl also be quite doable, you can get 33 stars per song without any band challenges (band challenges are only 3 of 12 challenges per song), assuming of course you can play well all instruments, and with 93 songs on the quickplay (not counting frees and DLC), you only need to average ~22 stars per song to get to 2000. (and even less if free songs and imports etc all count towards the ach which they probably will). If by 100% you mean completing every challenge on every song then yes they are mandatory, since they are 25% of the challenges in the game. its not clear to me if you need ot go beyond 2000 stars to unlock all of the thigns you can unlock by going up quickplay rank - the unlockables summary page only shows you the next rank needed to unlock somethign from that category, form what i saw.

Last edited by Barfo on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mogwai  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. I'm not terribly in favor of the new GH or RB3.. But I've seen enough GH releases to make it where I'm just not excited about them =\. I still love the game, but is there really anything new that just feels like it reinvents the game, if you will?

I mean.. I don't know. I've gotten so tired of new titles that I'm now content with just downloading new songs as DLC instead =S. But if there really is something that adds a whole new feel to this game, maybe...
Check out some of my guides:
Guide To Rasing SH Score Rank - http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I try to make electronic music: Http://www.myspace.com/soundteq
Almost 60 GH5 XFCs
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really surprised to see Mustaine there. That had to be awesome and they must've caught him in between shows. And him playing on Expert? I think someone has been practicing, cause I remember Dave barely able to play on like Medium I think for one of his songs. I guess I see what him and Justis have been doing in their spare time together, heh.

Glad to see you guys had fun though. Still very excited for the game.
Overwin  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barfo wrote:

I died and went to heaven. I can finally stop looking bad online.

Also, did you guys get a video of Mustaine playing on Expert? Or any chart videos at that? It's great that you did this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Official Guitar Hero News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: