ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Proper stick grip and arm/wrist endurance: I need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yusuke  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Proper stick grip and arm/wrist endurance: I need help Reply with quote

I've been following the GH:M FC breakdown for a while and have been coasting through the songs in it no problem, noticing a definitive gradual increase in difficulty.

Then Warlord put FFWF really fucking low.

My arm endurance is TERRIBLE. I honestly don't know how to improve and I've tried fucking everything.

I play on GWM GH kit with stock pedals, for reference.

Marbler  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lrn2moellermethod

It does wonders, really. I used to be able to get through the intro of TTFaF on X+ drums, then I'd be done, now I can make it to Twin Solo, then I'm done... (Given the breaks of Verse 2A and Hold Your Ground, and Take Your Breath, along with the real short breaks in other places...)

It's tricky at first to get down, but SO worth it in the long run.

Note that you will basically have to relearn drums with this, but that won't take that long. Just a new method of using the sticks, it just takes a little getting used to. Like switching from a GH3 Les Paul to a GHWTar...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Marbler
Yusuke  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marbler wrote:
Lrn2moellermethod

It does wonders, really. I used to be able to get through the intro of TTFaF on X+ drums, then I'd be done, now I can make it to Twin Solo, then I'm done... (Given the breaks of Verse 2A and Hold Your Ground, and Take Your Breath, along with the real short breaks in other places...)

Note that you will basically have to relearn drums with this, but that won't take that long. Just a new method of using the sticks, it just takes a little getting used to. Like switching from a GH3 Les Paul to a GHWTar...

Actually just found a different grip that gave my fingers the control they needed over the bounce. I can make it through Fingers of Fire 2 to partway through The Fire Has Consumed You... before my legs start to say fuck you fucker. My arms are doing fine.

I fucking hate it when I finally ask for help and then I figure it out like right there.

WarlordTm  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yusuke wrote:
Marbler wrote:
Lrn2moellermethod

Actually just found a different grip that gave my fingers the control they needed over the bounce. I can make it through Fingers of Fire 2 to partway through The Fire Has Consumed You... before my legs start to say fuck you fucker. My arms are doing fine.

I fucking hate it when I finally ask for help and then I figure it out like right there.

Well, now that you've found a proper technique/grip, I'd suggest playing Dammit a LOT. My stamina/technique increased drastically back when I was going through GH:WT, just by grinding Dammit and Everlong. Once you're able to play those songs a couple of times in a row without getting tired (much), you should do fine on most metal songs. A good warm-up works wonders as well... songs like War Ensemble (or FFWF, in your case) are much easier to handle after playing a couple of other songs first.
| Banners link to videos/scores | YouTube Account | GH Accomplishments | RB Accomplishments | Song left for FSFC: Space Truckin' (-1)
BLABLAFU  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started playing on Expert, my endurance was terrible aswell, I had to pause 3 or 4 times to pass TTFAF on Expert drums even.

Then I just played a LOT of fast songs, which take some endurance (Let There Be Rock, Visions, Battery and the likes) and it got a lot better with time. Learning a technique to play is rather stupid in my opinion, you have to find a way that fits your 'style'.
Warhiem  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My endurance improved by using heavy sticks more often, then for fast songs using really light sticks

War ensemble and TTFaF were really easy with the sticks that come with the GH kit.

Sulfurus  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhiem wrote:
My endurance improved by using heavy sticks more often, then for fast songs using really light sticks

I actually find it easier to play faster with my heavier sticks, maybe I get more rebound or something. Not that I can play super fast anyway though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulfurus wrote:
Warhiem wrote:

I actually find it easier to play faster with my heavier sticks, maybe I get more rebound or something. Not that I can play super fast anyway though.

Well you do have a Roland kit. I'm sure that those actually rebound as opposed to a plain GH kit.

WarlordTm  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhiem wrote:
Sulfurus wrote:
Warhiem wrote:

Well you do have a Roland kit. I'm sure that those actually rebound as opposed to a plain GH kit.

Actually, the GH:WT kit provides quite a good deal of rebound (the cymbals, not the pads), I was getting tired a lot faster when I played on my BH kit for a while.
| Banners link to videos/scores | YouTube Account | GH Accomplishments | RB Accomplishments | Song left for FSFC: Space Truckin' (-1)
Warhiem  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh this unexcites me that I'm getting a BH kit with GH6 D:

WarlordTm  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warhiem wrote:
oh this unexcites me that I'm getting a BH kit with GH6 D:

Nah, don't worry about it, you'll just have to get used to it. The BH kit is the best stock kit available imo, so you should be excited about getting it
CoalfieldRocker  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WarlordTm wrote:
Warhiem wrote:
Sulfurus wrote:
Warhiem wrote:

Actually, the GH:WT kit provides quite a good deal of rebound (the cymbals, not the pads), I was getting tired a lot faster when I played on my BH kit for a while.

i noticed my GWM cymbals dont really give me the same rebound as the stock ones for fast hi-hat rides like WIMH i used to be close to FC'ing now i have the GWM cymbals and its impossible for me to keep up no matter how fast i play its like i'm getting LESS rebound from them >.>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: