Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Opeth Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: The Opeth Thread Reply with quote

I'm kinda surprised no one's made this yet, as even though Opeth isn't the best known prog band around here (especially compared to say Dream Theater) they're definitely one of the best received. And as Scorehero's resident Opeth addict (as if the avatar depicting Akerfeldt as god, and the quote from Master's Apprentices in my sig weren't enough to give that away) might as well start somewhere.

Anyway, the main reason I'm making this thread is:
"Opeth will start the recording of their 10th album on the 31st January 2011. The band has picked the legendary Atlantis studios (ex Metronome studios) in Stockholm and will once again work with Jens Bogren engineering. Mixing duties will be handled by Steven Wilson (Porcupine tree). Possible release worldwide in the fall of 2011, through Roadrunner Records."
http://www.facebook.com/Opeth

I'm kinda curious as to what everyone expects/wants from the new album as they could go in a ton of different directions with this one:
1. Keep up the latin rhythm/acoustic work they did on Throat of Winter
2. Continue the dark 70's prog rock style of Watershed
3. Go back to along the lines of Ghost Reveries/Blackwater Park with the extremely long prog metal epics,
4. Go Back to Still Life with the atmospheric, and cold Death Metal.
5. Go somewhere new entirely.

Personally, I'm kind of hoping for a mix of the first two as I absolutely adored Throat of Winter, and Watershed (along with being one of the creepiest albums ever made) was just a fantastic mix of variety.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"

Last edited by Nubnut on Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Amanwithapencil  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite era of Opeth was Blackwater Park/Deliverance era, so anything even remotely like that would be godly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like Watershed a whole lot, but if they tried again with sort of the same sound but heavier to match the dark atmosphere, I think it could be quite a bit better. Opeth has gone past the older death metal styles and I think that if they continue to release albums they are going to be hit or miss affairs regardless of what sort of style they do. They took the style they brought with Morningrise as far as it could go and now they are just treading water trying to record another album that will be as good as the ones before.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tornintwo wrote:
I didn't like Watershed a whole lot, but if they tried again with sort of the same sound but heavier to match the dark atmosphere, I think it could be quite a bit better. Opeth has gone past the older death metal styles and I think that if they continue to release albums they are going to be hit or miss affairs regardless of what sort of style they do. They took the style they brought with Morningrise as far as it could go and now they are just treading water trying to record another album that will be as good as the ones before.

I know most of Opeth's more extreme metal centered fans love the Still Life-Deliverance era more from Opeth.

But Opeth's more prog centered fans (myself being one of them) generally feel that Ghost Reveries and Watershed are their two best releases yet, now mind you I generally frequent Progressive music boards so my view on most peoples tastes is probably limited to those people that absolutely adored Watshed and GR (which granted, on Prog boards, both of those albums are getting loads of love).

Not to mention the fact that Ghost Reveries and Watershed are also Opeth's highest rated in terms of professional critics/review sites (With Blackwater Park right alongside them), and commercially they're their best selling albums yet.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
qays1991  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE OPETH!!! New album? I WANT! And now that I'm in UK, I finally have the chance to see them live? I WANT!

(It sucks that I'll never be able to play my own custom )
GenericName  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard of Opeth, I put them in my top three favorite bands.

But, I only have Blackwater Park and Damnation, along with having listened to a few songs off of Ghost Reveries. I really, really like what I've heard, I just haven't had any money in quite a while to buy any more music, so I'm at a bit of a standstill with listening to more Opeth besides the two albums I have.

I didn't realize they had multiple different styles they've gone through. (as apparently, according to Nubnut they've gone through 4 or 5) Where should I go from here, having listened to what I have so far and really liking it?

Parama  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost Reveries is one of the best albums ever.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Ghost Reveries actually. Watershed just didn't seem to have the sort of magic other Opeth albums before it had. It's not just the death metal side of Opeth I love though, Damnation was overall very good. I just think that with Deliverance/Damnation, they took the sound that established them as such an amazing and unique band to its logical conclusion and since then they've been trying to get a new sound that I don't think works as well for them as their original style did. Ghost Reveries was a very good mix of prog elements and metal, but Watershed was too unfocused and The Throat Of Winter single even more so. If they pick up the songwriting a little bit hopefully the next release will be as good as GR.

Warnar wrote:
The elitists attack! Everybody run away!
qays1991  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only album I heard from Opeth is Ghost Reveries. And it totally blew my mind! Anyone has any other albums from Opeth that would be well recommended?

MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Metal Thread?
2. I love Opeth. Morningrise is probably one of the best progressive DM albums ever, and Ghost reveries is definitely in the top 10 albums from 2007. I only have 5 of their albums so far, but I do intend to complete the discography in the future.
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qays1991 wrote:
The only album I heard from Opeth is Ghost Reveries. And it totally blew my mind! Anyone has any other albums from Opeth that would be well recommended?

If you liked Ghost Reveries, probably Blackwater Park

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetalheadNorm wrote:
1. Metal Thread?
2. I love Opeth. Morningrise is probably one of the best progressive DM albums ever, and Ghost reveries is definitely in the top 10 albums from 2007. I only have 5 of their albums so far, but I do intend to complete the discography in the future.

I decided to make a separate thread from the Metal Thread due to the fact that I personally stopped digging around the Metal thread months ago, and the Prog thread has fallen into oblivion.

2. Which 5 do you have? If you don't already I'd highly suggest getting My Arms Your Hearse as IMO it's Opeth's most underrated album. Granted it also has some of the worst production/mastering I've heard in my entire life (and I've listened to Vapor Trails and Death Magnetic) but once you get past that you can find some absolute gems in it

like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrBrH5PZtcc (2:13-3:12 = pure un-restrained Awesome).
qays1991  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrBrH5PZtcc (2:13-3:12 = pure un-restrained Awesome).

Damn that's a good Opeth song!

Edit: I just listened to some of the songs from Blackwater Park. I honestly feel I've fallen in love with Opeth all over again...

MetalheadNorm  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
2. Which 5 do you have? If you don't already I'd highly suggest getting My Arms Your Hearse as IMO it's Opeth's most underrated album. Granted it also has some of the worst production/mastering I've heard in my entire life

I have:
Morningrise
My Arms Your Hearse
Blackwater Park
Ghost Reveries
Watershed

What version of MAYH do you have? I have the first pressing on Century Black and the production sounds fine to me... Maybe you have a poorly done remaster?
032 x 12" Vinyl
001 x 10" Vinyl
008 x 7" Vinyl
003 x Hooded Sweatshirt
016 x T-shirt
011 x Patch
028 x Band Pin
TheLonging  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ideal album would be:

Mix the diversity and length of Morningrise's songs
Follow somewhat the same pattern they did like Throat of Winter
Do another prog metal epic concept like Ghost Reveries

2 of my favorite albums and one of my top 5 favorite Opeth songs = win

also Opeth for me, is best prog metal band bar none.

Watershed wasn't that good tbh, but other than that I loved every one of their albums. Anyways:

1. Ghost Reveries
2. Morningrise
3. Still Life
4. My Arms, Your Hearse
5. Deliverance
6. Blackwater Park
7. Damnation
8. Watershed
9. Orchid

And this is discluding the Apostle in Triumph EP and live albums. All of those are good, just Ghost Reveries comes out on top. Also YAY NEW ALBUM. Too bad I only own Ghost Reveries, I'd love to own more.

NavyCherub wrote:
AshleyWilis wrote:
hi for me Its something different...
It seems like Full sound full combo...
I mean It show passion and determination for my guitar
Smoke weed erryday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: