Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Opeth Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-Fuzz  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to get shot for this, but... I don't really see what's so great about Ghost Reveries. Blackwater Park and Morningrise are amazing through and through though. I'm thinking about eventually obtaining their entire discography, though that won't be for a while lol.

Yay 2 pages.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what's so great about Ghost Reveries:

Ghost of Perdition
Baying of the Hounds
Beneath the Mire
Atonement
Reverie
Harlequin Forest
Hours of Wealth
The Grand Conjuration
Isolation Years

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super necro!

Anyway just thought I'd let everyone here who was interested know that the album art and tracklisting for the new album "Heritage" has been released.

EDIT: Ahh balls the original link didn't work, here's another http://www.metalinjection.net/sick-art/opeth-heritage-cover-revealed

the tracklist is:1) Heritage
2) The Devil's Orchard (first single)
3) I Feel The Dark
4) Slither
...5) Nepenthe
6) Haxprocess
7) Famine
8) The Lines In My Hand
9) Folklore
10) Marrow Of The Earth

So, here's my thoughts on the matter:
1) 10 tracks? If I'm not mistaken that's the most tracks on any Opeth album ever.
2) Well Opeth has finally finished their transformation into a 70's prog band judging by the album cover. And there's a ridiculous amount of nuggets on the album:
For example there's 9 stars in the sky (9 past albums) with the sun being the 10th (new album).
According to the MP forums, the skulls correspond to past member of Opeth (with Per falling from the tree to join them).

And lots of others. Anyway, other's thoughts? Opeth using color in an album cover? etc. etc.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
qays1991  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say one thing. Since I'm recently studying overseas in the UK to be precise, I'm so proud to finally obtain an OPETH album! (which I can't get back home )

(It sucks that I'll never be able to play my own custom )
Dodongo  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is going on? That's the least Opeth-y album cover I have seen yet, it looks just like a Primus cover.

I'm a bit apprehensive where they go with this. I liked Watershed a lot, but this just seems a bit weird. I'm definitely not going to judge untill I hear it, but man, it will be different, that's for sure.

Also, Still Life is absolutely amazing. They need to play more of it live. That being said, they've got a lot to choose from so I don't blame them, but wow. The Apostle in Triumph is amazing. I just love every part of it.

R.I.P. Sikth. We Love You.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Gwylum Wii Friend Code: 429613877062
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://stereogum.com/766792/opeth-the-devils-orchard-stereogum-premiere/franchises/haunting-the-chapel/

Opeth's first new single was released last night.

Now, to say that some of Opeth's more metal fans will be disappointed is a bit of an understatement. However, I have to say this is fucking fantastic. The whole Jazz fusion feel and swing of the song is just fantastic, and it really does feel like a 70's prog song throughout but with Opeth's usual dark tinge.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Sottle  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After that single, i'm looking forward to this album more than anything in recent memory.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
toymachine  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God is deaaaaaaad

\m/

Can't wait to hear more
Metalhead911  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just recently got into Opeth (not even a month ago). I listened to the leak of Heritage and I was f*cking blown away, then was done so again by Blackwater Park and by almost all of their other albums.

If I were to rank each album, I would do so like this...

Blackwater Park (1st) (10/10) (What can I say, this record is probably many of your secret shames.)
Still Life (9.95/10)
Heritage (9.75/10) (I have always been a HUGE prog nerd so this wasn't as much of a grower for me as it will be for some.)
My Arms Your Hearse (9.5/10)
Ghost Reveries (9.4/10)
Deliverance (9.3/10)
Morningrise (Black Rose Immortal alone is worth the full price of the record). (9.25/10)
Watershed (It is still a 9/10 album despite my low ranking of it in the catalog)
Damnation (8.5/10)
Orchid (Last) (7.75/10) (This record is okay, it's just I feel the bands sound, wherever it would go, would be fleshed out enough to make this pretty bare-bones by the bands standards.)

Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo, opinions on the album?

Just got done spinning it for the third time today and sweet jesus this has definitely replaced Still Life in the trifecta of Opeth albums (which was originally Still Life, Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries for me). And it could arguably take Ghost Reveries spot as their #1 album for me.

With that being said, I can see how many of Opeth's metal-only fans are seeing this as the greatest travesty since St. Anger. Seeing as they've essentially thrown all metal out the window (except for the 70's classic metal you hear in Slither and Devil's Orchard) and replaced it with Jazz Fusion.

For me the top songs are definitely Nepenthe and I Feel the Dark. Both have some of the best atmosphere since Still Life.
GarageMetal468  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it, at all. Here's why:

I'll start off by saying that I love all Opeth, clean, heavy, etc. Damnation is probably my 3rd favorite album from them. When I heard that they were doing an album with no growls I sort of knew what to expect, something along the lines of Damnation part 2. Now, I love Damnation because to me it has a sort of gloomy atmosphere that goes with it. Heritage, however, has none whatsoever. This album is just a huge mess. Nothing ties together and Opeth take the term progressive and drive it off a cliff and uses whatever remains on this album. It just annoys me more and more as it goes on. Nothing is memorable, really.

So overall, I personally think this album is just out of place most of the time and one big mess. I tried to enjoy it and listened to it a few times to let it sink in, but nothing. I'm still looking forward to their live show, though, since I doubt they would disappoint live despite a good portion of the set list being from Heritage.

And there is no way this is better than Blackwater Park and especially Still Life. That's what I think, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarageMetal468 wrote:

I'll start off by saying that I love all Opeth, clean, heavy, etc. Damnation is probably my 3rd favorite album from them. When I heard that they were doing an album with no growls I sort of knew what to expect, something along the lines of Damnation part 2. Now, I love Damnation because to me it has a sort of gloomy atmosphere that goes with it. Heritage, however, has none whatsoever. This album is just a huge mess. Nothing ties together and Opeth take the term progressive and drive it off a cliff and uses whatever remains on this album. It just annoys me more and more as it goes on. Nothing is memorable, really.

I can understand why alot of people don't like this album, but I am a bit confused on a few points by this.

1. This is FAR and away Opeth's most progressive album, hell it's literally jazz fusion.
2. Do not expect anything along the lines of Damnation pt. 2, if anything it's actually more gloom and glum than Damnation (at least the second half is, especially Haxprocess and Famine). Hell one of the main complaints on the Portnoy forums is that the softer songs are too slow and gloomy.
3. You have to be a big fan of old 70's psychedelic and jazz fusion music to really love this album. It'll grow in time either way, but needless to say it's a departure and that's what makes it so damn good.

The metal forums are treating this like the second coming of St. Anger, where as the Prog forums are treating this like the second coming of jesus. Essentially, if you would be excited hearing the Miles Davis is back from the dead making a dark and doomy album then this is the perfect album for you. If that sounds boring as hell to you... Then it'll be boring as hell.
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
1. This is FAR and away Opeth's most progressive album, hell it's literally jazz fusion.

I mainly hear jazz in the drumming, although the vocal melody of Nepenthe sounded very much like a jazz progression too.

Anyway Akerfeldt was always into obscure 70s Europrog so this isn't a totally shocking development. It seems like a more "true" prog album than Damnation was, but I can see a lot of people saying "what the hell" on the first listen. I'm not really sure what to think of it to be honest. Some of my progger friends are ecstatic, as you indicate. They also still sound like a metal band doing prog to me, rather than a prog band... when the volume goes up, it very much sounds like a band of the last couple of decades, NOT the same type of higher-intensity sections that a band like Genesis or Gentle Giant would have used (maybe mid-70s Crim though).
Parama  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am excited for this album if it means ecstasy to my prog-loving ears.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see what you mean blind, I think it's because Mikael and Fredrik's influences from Ritchie Blackmore is extremely apparent on this album (hell, Slither is dedicated to Dio).

Also on a side note, they finally released the video for The Devil's Orchard. And I only have three words... What the fuck?... 70's pyschedelic + Mikael's already crazy ideas = ???? (although it is really cool)

http://pitchfork.com/news/44090-video-opeth-the-devils-orchard/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: