ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The Opeth Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarageMetal468  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubnut wrote:
GarageMetal468 wrote:

I'll start off by saying that I love all Opeth, clean, heavy, etc. Damnation is probably my 3rd favorite album from them. When I heard that they were doing an album with no growls I sort of knew what to expect, something along the lines of Damnation part 2. Now, I love Damnation because to me it has a sort of gloomy atmosphere that goes with it. Heritage, however, has none whatsoever. This album is just a huge mess. Nothing ties together and Opeth take the term progressive and drive it off a cliff and uses whatever remains on this album. It just annoys me more and more as it goes on. Nothing is memorable, really.

I can understand why alot of people don't like this album, but I am a bit confused on a few points by this.

1. This is FAR and away Opeth's most progressive album, hell it's literally jazz fusion.
2. Do not expect anything along the lines of Damnation pt. 2, if anything it's actually more gloom and glum than Damnation (at least the second half is, especially Haxprocess and Famine). Hell one of the main complaints on the Portnoy forums is that the softer songs are too slow and gloomy.
3. You have to be a big fan of old 70's psychedelic and jazz fusion music to really love this album. It'll grow in time either way, but needless to say it's a departure and that's what makes it so damn good.

The metal forums are treating this like the second coming of St. Anger, where as the Prog forums are treating this like the second coming of jesus. Essentially, if you would be excited hearing the Miles Davis is back from the dead making a dark and doomy album then this is the perfect album for you. If that sounds boring as hell to you... Then it'll be boring as hell.

I understand that it's their most progressive album and the direction they wanted to take with it, I was actually really looking forward to it because I actually do like music like that. Mikael has HUGE influences from 70's prog and psychedelic rock and it was only a matter of time before he made something like this. But the output wasn't what I expected at all, and ended up being disappointing to me.

This is not the second coming of St. Anger nor Jesus. To me, this is just an Opeth album that I just don't happen to like. I will take a couple more listens to it to see if I'm missing something, but I really don't see myself enjoying this album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: