Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Marijuana Legalization
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Marijuana Legalization Reply with quote

It's a hot topic nowadays. Prop 18 in California, I believe. There's been threads here about the topic before, but that was years ago. Let's see what ScoreHero thinks now.

Some questions to answer... Do you believe marijuana should be legal? If not, how do you feel about decriminalization of possession? Do you believe that marijuana use is dangerous or adverse? Do you believe that it has legitimate medicinal purposes?
Fugitive  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it should be legalized. The list of reasons is endless:

It's no more dangerous than alcohol. In fact, it's much less dangerous. It doesn't even have close to the health risks of cigarettes. It would cut the drug war down significantly which would: free law enforcment to do useful shit, decriminalize people who do nothing wrong besides went to smoke weed, and save many lives. It could be taxed and help an economic recovery. I can't even think of an argument against legalizing it.

And yes, it does have legitimate medicinal effects. It's proven, even if most of the effect is just relaxing the patient.

I mean, it's not even a question in my mind. Everyone I've talked to that's against marijuana being legalized is misinformed on the matter. They either think it's harmful to your health, or they think it affects your motor skill on the same level as alcohol, or something else just blatantly untrue. Most of them haven't even tried it. Which is fine, I'm not saying they have to, but they should be making informed decisions. We just have to wait for the old people to die off, the younger generations were overwhelmingly for legalization. Old people are just stuck in their ways and want their ways imposed on everyone else because they're selfish assholes. It's not like it being legalized forces them to smoke or anything.
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fugitive, don't act like it has no negative effects. Just like any other cigarette or cigar smoke you inhale, it has the same effects on your lungs.

Also, maybe they want us to you know.. not be high 24/7, not be sluggish/lazy, and be functioning members of society.
directshot999  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely don't want marijuana legalized. It's illegal for a reason. It's harmful to your health, and I really don't want hundreds of millions of people high on marijuana all day. The roads would be even more dangerous...
Southparkhero  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

directshot999 wrote:
I definitely don't want marijuana legalized. It's illegal for a reason. It's harmful to your health, and I really don't want hundreds of millions of people high on marijuana all day. The roads would be even more dangerous...

Yeah that.
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's assuming that there is a large amount of people who don't do it simply because it's illegal.
LethalFishEater  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

directshot999 wrote:
I definitely don't want marijuana legalized. It's illegal for a reason.
Because it's harmful and there's totally no drugs that are harmful to you that are legal, right? Wait a minute...

It's harmful to your health, and I really don't want hundreds of millions of people high on marijuana all day.
Cigarettes and alcohol are totally not harmful to your health at all, right? Also, marijuana would be a niche user thing, much like either of the major legal drugs in the U.S., unless you honestly think that 40%+ of the population would be toking up every day.

The roads would be even more dangerous...
Congress totally couldn't make a law against driving under the influence of drugs. Hold on...
[In case it's not obvious, I'm for legalization. No, I do not smoke marijuana, nor do I plan to.]
>tfw you will never have as many posts as bjw ;_;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: FoshOtter
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a no-brainer.

I agree with Fugitive's post on this one. I really don't feel like debating this one AGAIN (I've done it a lot IRL), so I'll just say this:

Marijuana needs to be legalized, but illegal to sell without a permit like alcohol and taxed heavily in the same way as cigarettes are. It is MUCH MUCH less dangerous than alcohol, and while you wouldn't want a high person driving, you're 10x safer than with a severely drunk person on the road. Of course, drug tests are fairly easy to give, so you should still get DUI-ish charges for driving while high (duh). Also, make other laws pertaining to alcohol now include marijuana.

So basically:
1) U.S. decreases debt by taxing marijuana
2) U.S. decreases debt by not having to maintain so many prisoner's living conditions
3) People that would have gotten high before are now doing so with less risk to themselves and their family
4) There would be no more 'laced' marijuana, meaning it will be far safer
5) There won't be that many more people smoking it, as people seem to believe. It's already ridiculously easy to attain.
6) Huge influx of art and music
7) I won't have to deal with driving around cop cars when they raid houses in my neighborhood anymore.

By the way, I haven't smoked any in ~5 years, and wouldn't start back even if it was legalized. I just don't see why the U.S. doesn't just abuse the economic potential of it.

Last edited by Vampyromaniac on Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: Vampyromaniacal
OpenYourEyes  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be legalized, and they should slap the same laws on it as alcohol. Can't drive while high, etc. Except the smoking age could be lowered or something.
Set all the tax rates to 9.
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
This is a no-brainer.

I agree with Fugitive's post on this one. I really don't feel like debating this one AGAIN (I've done it a lot IRL), so I'll just say this:

Marijuana needs to be legalized, but illegal to sell without a permit like alcohol and taxed heavily in the same way as cigarettes are. It is MUCH MUCH less dangerous than alcohol, and while you wouldn't want a high person driving, you're 10x safer than with a severely drunk person on the road. Of course, drug tests are fairly easy to give, so you should still get DUI-ish charges for driving while high (duh). Also, make other laws pertaining to alcohol now include marijuana.

So basically:
2) U.S. decreases debt by not having to maintain so many prisoner's living conditions
3) People that would have gotten high before are now doing so with less risk to themselves and their family
5) There won't be that many more people smoking it, as people seem to believe. It's already ridiculously easy to attain.
7) I won't have to deal with driving around cop cars when they raid houses in my neighborhood anymore.

By the way, I haven't smoked any in ~5 years, and wouldn't start back even if it was legalized. I just don't see why the U.S. doesn't just abuse the economic potential of it.

100% perfect post.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
CTangent  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THC is the most powerful antiemetic drug known to mankind. This can be both a good thing or a bad thing: if you're undergoing chemotherapy, it's great! It helps keep the vomiting at bay. However, if you're drinking a lot of alcohol (and I mean a LOT), THC will interfere with the natural reaction of the body to vomit, which can result in acute alcohol poisoning and possibly death.

I feel that this dichotomy illustrates the crux of this debate. Is marijuana bad? It can be, if you use it wrong. Can it be used reasonably for the benefit of mankind? Absolutely.

So perhaps the debate stems from a more political source: will America as a country be willing to disrupt their own status quo and induce some sort of change in their society? This kind of change is not without precedent, as the end of prohibition indicates, but Americans as a whole tend to be afraid of change and marijuana is seen as as bad thing.

Marijuana will always be used irresponsibly by some people, no matter what. People will always smoke pot while getting really drunk and die. People will always smoke pot while driving and get in car accidents. This will happen with ANY drug and I don't think that this should affect legislation at all.

I'm rather ambivalent to the whole issue and I'm looking to be convinced either way, so I'll be eagerly reading this thread .

Do I smoke pot? Nope, and I never will.

EDIT:

Vampyromaniac wrote:
So basically:

These types of arguments obfuscate the real issue by trying to bring money into the discussion, and I really don't think that they're very accurate... the United States currently doesn't have a federal sales tax, and I doubt that marijuana legislation is going to change that. If any taxation is going to occur, then it would occur at the state level, which would have no effect on the U.S. national debt.
Vampyromaniac wrote:

Possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor is a lot of jurisdictions, which means that jail time really doesn't ever happen for simple possession. Distribution is a whole different ballgame, and that is debatable... :P.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. ~Oscar Wilde

Last edited by CTangent on Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdylan13 wrote:
Vampyromaniac wrote:
So basically:

100% perfect post.

See: The post below yours.
ortiz1193  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have a device that can test short term marijuana use? I remember reading (another message board, not a fact or anything) that there's no way to 'breathalyze' marijuana like you can alcohol and that they only have tests that tell you if you've used in the last month or so.

If that's true, they'd definitely need something that could tell if you've used it in the last x hours for DUI charges. That's one problem I haven't seen discussed much. (Possibly because its not a problem and I'm misinformed >_>)
ready2rock  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone link to a good scientific study on the effects of marijuana on people? I've seen a lot of claims in these debates that marijuana is or is not harmful, but almost never any citations.

Also, "there are more dangerous things that are legal" is not a good argument to legalize something that is also dangerous.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ready2rock wrote:
Can someone link to a good scientific study on the effects of marijuana on people? I've seen a lot of claims in these debates that marijuana is or is not harmful, but almost never any citations.

Or just search for any instance where anyone has ever died specifically of an overdose of marijuana.

ready2rock wrote:
Also, "there are more dangerous things that are legal" is not a good argument to legalize something that is also dangerous.

It gives a point of reference. There are people who will get drunk but will not smoke marijuana because it is illegal, and if they know that it is much less dangerous, maybe they'll vote to legalize it, or possibly even a small amount of them would replace their addiction with one that is *less* bad.

EDIT:(copy-pasted) (source) 1."Tetrahydrocannabinol is a very safe drug. Laboratory animals (rats, mice, dogs, monkeys) can tolerate doses of up to 1,000 mg/kg (milligrams per kilogram). This would be equivalent to a 70 kg person swallowing 70 grams of the drug—about 5,000 times more than is required to produce a high. Despite the widespread illicit use of cannabis there are very few if any instances of people dying from an overdose. In Britain, official government statistics listed five deaths from cannabis in the period 1993-1995 but on closer examination these proved to have been deaths due to inhalation of vomit that could not be directly attributed to cannabis (House of Lords Report, 1998). By comparison with other commonly used recreational drugs these statistics are impressive."

Source: Iversen, Leslie L., PhD, FRS, "The Science of Marijuana" (London, England: Oxford University Press, 2000), p. 178, citing House of Lords, Select Committee on Science and Technology, "Cannabis — The Scientific and Medical Evidence" (London, England: The Stationery Office, Parliament, 1998).

2.An exhaustive search of the literature finds no deaths induced by marijuana. The US Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) records instances of drug mentions in medical examiners' reports, and though marijuana is mentioned, it is usually in combination with alcohol or other drugs. Marijuana alone has not been shown to cause an overdose death.

Source: Source: Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN), available on the web at http://www.samhsa.gov/ ; also see Janet E. Joy, Stanley J. Watson, Jr., and John A. Benson, Jr., "Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base," Division of Neuroscience and Behavioral Research, Institute of Medicine (Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1999), available on the web at http://www.nap.edu/html/marimed/; and US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition" (Docket #86-22), September 6, 1988, p. 57.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 1 of 31

Jump to: