Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Marijuana Legalization
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOE2210  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to legalise it, I can only see good things for the economy if it is taxed and regulated well. I've never smoked weed, and probably wouldn't even if it was legalised, not for any holier-than-thou reason, but because I'd rather not inhale smoke, the same reason I don't smoke cigarettes.
I'd totally support edibles though, because I have seen how it can help people medicinally.
One of my friend's brothers has quite severe autism, and having a small brownie with a moderate amount of marijuana (not sure how much in all honesty) and he was able to come off of his ridiculously strongly dosed antidepressants and a wealth of other psychoactive medication for a few hours. His parents wouldn't even contemplate it without something to replace it with because he would be utterly uncontrollable without his medication normally.
It meant we saw him as the guy he is behind all the aggressiveness and tendency to isolate himself, which was one of the most touching things I've ever felt. He's 19 by the way, so no issues about him being taken advantage of or anything. He's not got the cognitive learning disablilities or speech difficulties, but has pretty much everything else.
The only drawback of legalising marijuana in my eyes is the way employers see it. They will still test your urine or whatever for THC, and although they'll not be able to fire you, you could still be discriminated against. I only thought of it after reading how HIV positive people are more than 80% more likely to be fired for smaller menial mistakes than other HIV negative employees. It's not illegal to be HIV positive, but it breeds inequality and discrimination. I can see being a marijuana user being in the same vein.
And the obesity epidemic would be even worse. Think about it, all that brownie mix followed by the munchies and tiredness XD
That was a joke for those who find that kind of stuff hard <3

Eastwinn wrote:

I honestly don't get it. What is the point of riding someone's ass. What benefit does it bring you?
Yewb  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume pot is safe until I'm shown papers that prove otherwise; you can believe what you like, of course, but I'm not going to go into uni at this hour (1am) so that I can access a range of scientific papers just to show Some Guy On The Internet that pot is harmless. I'm not even convinced such a paper would be easily obtainable, regardless of validity, due to the nature of the subject matter.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
I'm going to assume pot is safe until I'm shown papers that prove otherwise; you can believe what you like, of course, but I'm not going to go into uni at this hour (1am) so that I can access a range of scientific papers just to show Some Guy On The Internet that pot is harmless. I'm not even convinced such a paper would be easily obtainable, regardless of validity, due to the nature of the subject matter.

Out of the hundreds of thousands of people that have and still do smoke pot, there should be a ton of papers out there on the matter about how it doesn't affect anything. Even if it's a controversial subject, it shouldn't take long to dig something up. There's obviously a reason as to why they are hard to find (if any).

I'm going to assume pot is not safe until I'm shown papers that prove otherwise. And until then, I probably won't post in here again unless provoked of course. But I stand by my reasons whether they be misinformed or not. I don't smoke it and I really don't care if it gets legalized even though I DO support the idea.

Last edited by Davers on Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davers wrote:
I'm going to assume pot is not safe until I'm shown papers that prove otherwise.

Well, there are plenty that suggest otherwise, and if you consider alcohol safe in anyway, then pot appears to be less dangerous. But there really isn't enough research. (Broken record)

By breaking down each others posts, I mean the endless line by line drudgery. If it makes it easier for you to do it that way, then by all means.

I'm going to do more research, which includes talking to a biologist or two.
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
Davers wrote:
I'm going to assume pot is not safe (for short periods of time) until I'm shown papers that prove otherwise.

Well, there are plenty that suggest otherwise, and if you consider alcohol safe in anyway, then pot appears to be less dangerous. But there really isn't enough research. (Broken record)

Crap, this will be my last post. lol Sorry, fixed what I should have said. I know there are no long term affects other than it being something people use as a gateway which can in turn lead to other things (which is what happened with my dad's family).

Also, let me know if anything if you find something on the matter. I wouldn't mind being more informed on the subject for future arguments/debates.
fudrick  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get you a huge amount of links supporting the "it's safe" side, but I'm in the car right now. Watch "The Union" on google videos, and go to norml.org and erowid.org. The former is for marijuana specifically, while the latter is probably the most comprehensive database for all drugs.

If no one minds, I think we should also discuss the possibility of legalisation and complete harmlessness of LSD. It has been shown to be the most effective "cure" for alcoholism, and there are literally no negative aspects of the drug at all. It's impossible for anything bad to happen due to LSD usage, of course providing that you don't drive or anything, but if that means LSD is bad then so is reading.

Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fudrick wrote:
If no one minds, I think we should also discuss the possibility of legalisation and complete harmlessness of LSD. It has been shown to be the most effective "cure" for alcoholism, and there are literally no negative aspects of the drug at all. It's impossible for anything bad to happen due to LSD usage, of course providing that you don't drive or anything, but if that means LSD is bad then so is reading.

Give us some sources then

Davers: I'll keep you informed on anything new I learn.
Vampyromaniac  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fudrick wrote:
I can get you a huge amount of links supporting the "it's safe" side, but I'm in the car right now. Watch "The Union" on google videos, and go to norml.org and erowid.org. The former is for marijuana specifically, while the latter is probably the most comprehensive database for all drugs.

Yeah I listed some sources earlier http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1695249#1695249

fudrick wrote:

If you want. I do think that LSD has very drastic short term effects, though, to the point that you can be at risk of harming others. Also, friends who have done it say that it stays in your nervous system potentially forever and it's possible to have a trip at some point in the future without having taken any. That's just the word of people I know, though.
fudrick  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still in the car, but I'll start by saying that no known chemical is active in doses as low as acid (one tab is about 200 micrograms) so it can't be laced, and that the only long term effect ever reported and documented was schizophrenia in a few patients, all of whom had family history of the disorder, and I believe only one of whom had permanent effects, and that guy had a schizophrenic identical twin who had never taken the drug. This information cam be found under the LSD section on erowid and probably on wikipedia and various other sites.

DMT is also completely harmless, but it's fucking crazy. It's the most intense drug in the world, the vast majority of people should never try it.

fudrick  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by fudrick on Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
fudrick  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyromaniac wrote:
If you want. I do think that LSD has very drastic short term effects, though, to the point that you can be at risk of harming others.

I doubt it. You'd probably have to take like 20 doses. You act basically the same as when sober. Alcohol and even weed affect your actions far more. I have spent long periods of time talking to my mom and thirteen year old sister, neither of whom know I've ever taken it and they couldn't tell.

Vampyromaniac wrote:
Also, friends who have done it say that it stays in your nervous system potentially forever and it's possible to have a trip at some point in the future without having taken any. That's just the word of people I know, though.

That's a myth. There's no real reason that LSD is bad, so they came up with that, is my guess.

Josseppe95  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god, this has become quite the clusterfuck. @_@

My 2 cents on the issue: For the most part, I agree with Yewb, fud, etc. I'm not gonna say marijuana has absolutely no negative effects whatsoever, because while you can argue that it isn't physically addictive, it can 100% be mentally addictive to some people. But, like the gateway drug argument, it's kind of flimsy because it only works on a case-by-case basis.

But, I don't think the government and lawmakers are in ANY position to tell people that they can't have unhealthy habits. It's a victimless crime, the only victim is the person who is smoking the weed and he is KNOWINGLY doing it to himself, so I honestly don't see what the problem is. Yeah, definitely put restrictions on it and all that, but just legalize it and tax the shit out of it; seems like the best idea imo.

Also, MetalHeadNorm's post was fucking genius. I believe that as well, that if it's legalized, the amount of people doing marijuana will actually DECREASE because it won't be a form of rebellion anymore. It'll just be another legal activity. ^_^
MehPlusRawr  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want things to be reasonable. I don't like smoking cigarettes in general, and don't like smoking weed by extension, but I really don't see any reason why both don't have the same legal status. Make them both legal or make them both illegal, really.
Davers  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fudrick wrote:

I doubt it. You'd probably have to take like 20 doses. You act basically the same as when sober. Alcohol and even weed affect your actions far more.

My brother has taken both and says this exact same thing. Actually, he said it was probably better to take LSD than weed. I will throw that out there.

And thanks for the links. I'll look into them tonight before I head to bed.
NfskMjmMal2  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that I said that it was likely that I wasn't going to respond is because it's clear that it's extremely difficult to change anyone's opinion, so arguing probably won't do any good. Instead, I intend to consider the facts/opinions brought up by each side, because this is an issue I don't have much knowledge about (partially because I don't do drugs).

Yes, that was a poorly worded post. It came from a more depressed and frustrated me. Regarding my friends, something is different about them now than a few years ago. I don't know what, and I obviously have suspisions, but nobody knows for sure. It's frustrating because I feel like I've lost my best friends. I don't want sympathy. It's just that my standpoint against drugs naturally lead me to believe that they were part of the case. And I still do, and I know that correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation. I never meant to imply that I thought I was better than anyone, I just have a different opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 8 of 31

Jump to: