ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Season 12 Leagues - Preliminary Signups Open!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
11yearoldkid  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ES is back, and I sort of....gave him an idea... *runs away*

TEN THOUSANNNNNNND!
My life.
singemfrc  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chemmajr wrote:
Dont sell yourself short until you know for a fact when the playoffs come that you have not made the cut. Improvement is in everyone's future. How much you improve is up to you
Seriously. Last year in RB OMB DLC I figured I wouldnt even make the playoffs but ended up being the runner up. Ya never know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chemmajr wrote:
SlasherManEXE wrote:
so you'd rather have a bunch of medium players in the hard league against you? (no offense to the medium players out there >__>) but seriously, just chillax and have fun with the league. try your best, and results are results. its about getting to be a better player.

HMRPHMM.... medium player here and I am VERY! very offended! haha.

Seriously, the only way that you are going to get better voided is to play against people who are better than you to force to you try try again on a song that you probably would never touch if you life depended upon it. I know myself that I am not going to win the league. I played a medium league in like season 9 or something and I lost to llamana2 I think his name was. Its all about who can play the best when it comes to the playoffs. Dont sell yourself short until you know for a fact when the playoffs come that you have not made the cut. Improvement is in everyone's future. How much you improve is up to you. (maybe with the expection of Bjorn) ;)

Yeah. Last year's playoffs for Old School, I somehow outsqueezed Arvain in Laid to Rest. Still don't know how it happened, but my squeezing and overall pathing have improved a lot since last year's leagues.

thewinnerisgeeg: like feed the dogs and eat minipockets and ice cream
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: a2003041 PSN Name: a2003041
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherManEXE wrote:
voidedalive2x wrote:
I'd still like to know I have some semblance of a chance, though. Competitiveness is fine and all, but its a bit of a turn-off when you can never expect to get near the top 10 to get in the playoffs.

so you'd rather have a bunch of medium players in the hard league against you? (no offense to the medium players out there >__>) but seriously, just chillax and have fun with the league. try your best, and results are results. its about getting to be a better player.

I know that these leagues are a way to improve oneself, both in FCs and in squeezing, but I myself can do much better when I know I may have a chance.

That's not to say I can't or won't do much better (believe me, I'm going to be rooting for at least the top 15th), but if you're one guy against 5 or more people who are really consistent (they may not be able to bust out a TTFAF FC on the fly, but they can certainly get FCs/near-FCs and really high scores over the course of a week) and there's only 4-5 spaces open for a playoff, IMO that doesn't necessarily lend to you doing your best since your best would almost always fall short. Sure, you may get lucky and one of them might either need to skip or just can't get that squeeze that you somehow manage to obtain, but the possibility of advancing to the playoffs or beyond the first round can be quite the wall between you and them that you most likely won't be able to climb until well after the league is done.

GH accomps: FFWF, DE, Battery HDrums FCs! HDrums 46/49!!
RB accomps: RB3 MDrums FGFC! RB3 MOMBFGFC!
Old Youtube, New Youtube | I do Twitch, now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
Chrisssss  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:
I know that these leagues are a way to improve oneself, both in FCs and in squeezing, but I myself can do much better when I know I may have a chance.

That's not to say I can't or won't do much better (believe me, I'm going to be rooting for at least the top 15th), but if you're one guy against 5 or more people who are really consistent (they may not be able to bust out a TTFAF FC on the fly, but they can certainly get FCs/near-FCs and really high scores over the course of a week) and there's only 4-5 spaces open for a playoff, IMO that doesn't necessarily lend to you doing your best since your best would almost always fall short. Sure, you may get lucky and one of them might either need to skip or just can't get that squeeze that you somehow manage to obtain, but the possibility of advancing to the playoffs or beyond the first round can be quite the wall between you and them that you most likely won't be able to climb until well after the league is done.

I think I know what you're getting at.
Personally, the fact that there are some amazing squeezers in the GH3H league that can also FGFC or just about FGFC this game will make for some very interesting viewing when the scores come in.

But, if I remember reading correctly, if there are enough players in the league, then there are a couple of different groups - I can't remember if the groups were "people not quite good enough for expert but can FC most of the songs on hard" and "people who are too good for medium and can do hard fairly well", but in any case - it is all about what song is chosen. For all we know, if say there are 5 songs, they might be songs that everyone in the league can easily FC - then it's a squeezing battle.

Obviously if it comes down to the hardest songs then you're right, the best players will be the ones that will go through - but that's what you expect.

All you can do is try your best. That's what I plan on doing. If I beat my scores then I'll be happy. If I beat other player's scores, then bonus! Don't worry about what other people might be doing - they may have a really bad week where they completely suck at a more difficult song... stranger things have happened...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherManEXE wrote:

No offence, but the point is if a player has a fc of almost every song on hard why aren't they moving up to expert? why do they not want the so called challenge of playing better players? they aren't looking for fun and to improve they are simply looking to win where there isn't much challenge for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11yearoldkid wrote:
ES is back, and I sort of....gave him an idea... *runs away*
*reads page*

;____________________________________;

Talk about a wish coming back to haunt you, lol.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
voidedalive2x  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harp00n wrote:
SlasherManEXE wrote:

No offence, but the point is if a player has a fc of almost every song on hard why aren't they moving up to expert? why do they not want the so called challenge of playing better players? they aren't looking for fun and to improve they are simply looking to win where there isn't much challenge for them.

1.) Maybe its because I (and anyone else) LIKE Hard?
2.) I never said I don't want the challenge (I do), but I'm saying that it can be a bit discouraging.
3.) Who said I (or anyone else) wasn't looking to improve?

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger PSN Name: vVv_Voided
LlamaYip  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harp00n wrote:
SlasherManEXE wrote:

Well for one, every single one of the players here with tons of FCs on Hard also have pretty nice accomplishments on Expert, Slasher especially.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
Ba1r0g  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harp00n wrote:
SlasherManEXE wrote:

Who says we even like playing on expert? I, personally, prefer playing on hard because I know I can FC most of the songs and I know I can squeeze with the best of them.
Being that there is A LOT of "the best of them" in this league, I can't see a better chance to see how I really stack up under pressure.
Back on to the topic of not liking expert, I can say for a fact that I am one of the best in the world at squeezing. Isn't that something to be proud of? I can not only say that I'm ranked 1st on BH but I can say that I'm 1st on EVERY SONG in BH. When your one of the best at something, why wouldn't you want to do it?

SlasherManEXE  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ba1r0g wrote:
I'm ranked 1st on BH but I can say that I'm 1st on EVERY SONG in BH. When your one of the best at something, why wouldn't you want to do it?

I could take a couple of those if you wanted me to

Harp00n  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voidedalive2x wrote:

1.) Maybe its because I (and anyone else) LIKE Hard?
2.) I never said I don't want the challenge (I do), but I'm saying that it can be a bit discouraging.
3.) Who said I (or anyone else) wasn't looking to improve?

1 fine
2 discouraging, so what do you think it does to the lower skilled players in hard with no chance?
3 I fail to see how you can improve on hard when you can fc ttfatf

Im not going to answer everyone cos it all amounts to the same. Someone said slasher was an accomplished expert player so i looked, 61 expert fc's and overall rank 22 and he is gonna play hard? lol what a joke sorry, says it all. Why do players who would clearly be playing beneath themselves not leave it to the players who truly belong in hard?

Im not really suited to expert for competition (ive never even made a fc on hard in gh3), but thats what ive entered as its obvious hard will be no fun at all vs so many players who will fc everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harp00n wrote:
2 discouraging, so what do you think it does to the lower skilled players in hard with no chance?
3 I fail to see how you can improve on hard when you can fc ttfatf

Im not going to answer everyone cos it all amounts to the same. Someone said slasher was an accomplished expert player so i looked, 61 expert fc's and overall rank 22 and he is gonna play hard? lol what a joke sorry, says it all. Why do players who would clearly be playing beneath themselves not leave it to the players who truly belong in hard?

Im not really suited to expert for competition (ive never even made a fc on hard in gh3), but thats what ive entered as its obvious hard will be no fun at all vs so many players who will fc everything.

2.) And you don't think I know that? Because that how I probably would feel on a expert league (though, I did honestly think that I stood more of a chance on RB2 XGuitar, and seriously thought that I'd get past the first round, but eh...curse you LFE!).
However, not everyone shares some or all of these sentiments. You yourself aren't exactly a good GHH player, yet you don't HAVE to shoot for 1st place. You could shoot for, say, 25th or so. You may never see the Playoffs, but the fact that you set a goal and at least tried to achieve it is usually worth it.
As for me, my personal goal is to get near the top 15 (maybe even top 10, if I'm lucky) and try to get into the playoffs, but it can be a bit daunting to get farther than that, which is a secondary goal.
3.) Squeezing? there's more than just FCs to do, yknow.

Maybe Slasher isn't doing GH3X because he wants the competition that will certainly be there in GH3H? I don't know, and he can certainly answer for himself. But who are you to say what is beneath or above a player, maybe even moreso since you're...not quite on his level on either difficulty? I won't stop him, though I'll probably rage for the entire league as to how much work I'm going to have to do.

And you really think Hard will be no fun? really? If "getting to the top of the ranks in the leagues" is your definition of fun, then at least specifically you aren't going to have fun. But let's change that definition. How about we change it to "Doing the best that i possibly can given the limitations of my skill, despite the fact that I may have little to no chance of winning"? That's certainly a far better goal to work for, and that's the goal I have in mind.

Now, I'll reiterate what I said earlier: I myself will definitely enjoy this league. And you all can be sure that I will do my best. But, when faced with great squeezers who are certainly better than me, I can't help but be a little doubtful of myself and discouraged, especially when I compare myself to them.

Ba1r0g  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlasherManEXE wrote:
Ba1r0g wrote:
I'm ranked 1st on BH but I can say that I'm 1st on EVERY SONG in BH. When your one of the best at something, why wouldn't you want to do it?

I could take a couple of those if you wanted me to

Go away slasher.... you too kubuh....

SlasherManEXE  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harp00n wrote:
Someone said slasher was an accomplished expert player so i looked, 61 expert fc's and overall rank 22 and he is gonna play hard?

IDK how I got thrown in this bandwagon, I'm not playing hard, I was just trying to prove a point >_> I'm in WoR XG and Old School, and I'd be playing GH3X anyways if the latter gets dropped, because I absolutely SUCK at squeezing anything before WT. I'll be the GH3H's main cheerleader though

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Leagues -> Past Seasons All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: