Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The tattoo thread (show us your ink)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: The tattoo thread (show us your ink) Reply with quote

I searched for this kind of thread and there really wasn't one quite like it so I decided to start one, if this isn't a thread that will work and provide enough conversation the mods may lock this thread, I just thought it would be interesting to talk about.

I've recently just started working for a tattoo parlor as their graphic designer and their guitarist/music director for when they do tattoo parties/events. So as of late I've been just overwhelmed at the art of tattooing, and the people who receive them and what they get. I don't plan to be a tattoo artist someday, but I definitely hope to stay with these guys for a long time as they are pretty much a second family to me. I believe in getting tattoos that mean something, if it has a meaning, or if it's a dedication then I'm all for those kind of tattoos. I'm not too big on getting tattoos that just "look cool" or stuff along those lines.

I only have one tattoo at the moment, it's located at the top of my right arm, i have the last lyric from the song "the best of times" by dream theater, with some clouds and sun rays behind it, and after the lyric it says "R.I.P. Dad" as some of you have read my one thread that I wrote for my dad on the 10th anniversary. We made the clouds red to symbolize the pain that it brought to me, and the rays blue-ish and yellow to give sort of an angelic feeling, to say that there was a positive by his passing.

I plan on getting a few more, I'm definitely going to get one for my mom on my chest, I'm going to get something on my back for my grandfather, and if avenged sevenfold breaks up (my favorite band), me and my friend mike are going to get matching deathbat tattoos. That's all I want as of right now, I may get more in the future, but I don't know.

So show us your ink scorehero! describe it, what it means etc. What are your opinions on tattoos. Do you consider it an art style? Where would you want to get a tattoo, or wouldn't want to get a tattoo.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
Confury  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a tattoo (yet), but the first tattoo I'm getting is Dream Theaters majesty symbol on my right leg. Not huge or anything, just a small majesty symbol as they are my favorite band.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Quakmybush  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea's been floating in my head for a long time, not sure if I'll ever get it done

but i'm proud of my dads side of the family and im tempted to get the Cameron Clan coat of arms on my shoulder (Cameron also happens to be my first name

and under the Cameron part my last name, dunno if ill ever do it though
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Quakmybush
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been taking care of bills and I haven't had new ink in a few years. I want to fix megaman before I go on to anything else though, and mario's ear.

Mario is on my left arm, atari on my right arm.
TheHammer417  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1/2 sleeve...I'll post up pics on lunch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, haha, Squirrel's famous tattoos. :P

I was just about to comment on your nerdyness, but I don't think anybody is going to out-nerd (and out-pain) this guy's tats.

I don't have any tattoos, just thought I'd share that one. I don't trust myself to ever like the same things when I'm 80 yrs old than I do now. And then there's always the dilemma of having to dress "fancy"...it can't be a tattoo that will show while wearing a formal dress, cause that would just look terrible, but then again why get a tattoo if it's gonna be on a place where nobody will see it?

Also, tattoos usually work a lot better on guys than girls. If a guy gets the right tattoo for him it looks cool/badass. For a girl, no matter what you get, it just ends up looking kinda slutty. I haven't ever seen a girl with a tattoo where I thought it looked good.

Then again, if I ever did get a tattoo and changed my mind I could always buy this!

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Ah yes, haha, Squirrel's famous tattoos. :P

I was just about to comment on your nerdyness, but I don't think anybody is going to out-nerd (and out-pain) this guy's tats.

Holy crap... really? That looks insanely painful... and when pokemon eventually runs out of popularity... wow.

At least mine are staples of gaming history.

I can't wait to get some extra cash to finish up Megaman, next up I was thinking pac-man eating dots across my back, then a blue ghost on my right shoulderblade.

I was thinking doing that below Megaman, and maybe add a part of a stage for Megaman across my back.

A good friend of mine is working on a full sleeve of WoW tattoos. I'll post pics of those when I can see him next, I'll snap a few.

Unfortunately GuitarHailz, you're exactly right. In the rave scene there's quite a few girls with tattoos, including my girlfriend. She has one on her shoulder, one on each of her feet, and a small star underneath each ear. Now, they do look good on her, well the feet one look weird, but her shoulder one and the stars below the ears actually look good to me.

I've seen others at parties and it just doesn't look good at all. Everything from a half ring of text right above the breasts like a necklace, tramp stamps are common, and they all just don't look good.

My ex had hello kitty tattoos, and they looked decent too, but she had them on her calves.

Last edited by Squirrel on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Hoyoooo
woozerkristen  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
I don't have any tattoos, just thought I'd share that one. I don't trust myself to ever like the same things when I'm 80 yrs old than I do now. And then there's always the dilemma of having to dress "fancy"...it can't be a tattoo that will show while wearing a formal dress, cause that would just look terrible, but then again why get a tattoo if it's gonna be on a place where nobody will see it?

Hailz, that's scary. That's is pretty much word for word the explanation I give for why I don't get any tattoos. I love them in concept and on other people, but can't bring myself to get one for me. I think it's difficult for females to get them in visible places without ending up looking trashy, and in places no one will see them, like you said, what's the point? The only way I've seen it pulled off was a woman in some band I saw who had both arms pretty much covered; paired with a black formal dress, it actually kind of worked.

Vocalist/Guitarist/Bassist for The PermaRockers | Vocalist/Bassist/Pather for Now-Retired Band Interrobang! | Interrobang! Full Band Vids/Solo Vox Vids on YouTube | Facebook | Twitter | Solo Accomplishments Thread
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: woozerkristen
sukergod  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that is rather obsurd and interesting looking. I can't imagine how painfull that must have been and how to explain why you got that to anybody.

The professional-ism thing about tatoos is a cause for concern simply because in the wrong setting it gives off such a negative point of view. I am teachng in a small community in rural Newfoundland and a guy I graduated with and is teaching in a larger one but in rural Newfoundalnd is completly covered negating his neck and head. Trust me, its a cause for concern that he has to deal with everyday, trying to cover them up. Great guy, not so much of a great choice.

For me though I have wanted to get this on my leg somewhere:

Besides the fact that PF are my favorite band, and the Wall is my favorite album ever it has a personal touch to it as well so its not something i will get sick of, as I can look back at it 50 years from now when im in my mid 70's and still remember how much their music helped me though shitty times I had a few years back.

I dont think ill get that poke - whatever it is image out of my head for a while, ouch!!!!!!
TheHammer417  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's some pics of my 1/2 sleeve...can't find some recent ones, this was after my last session so a few tiny parts are scabbed up a little.

and i'm sure everyone wants to see my lovely face in this one.

I also have one on my chest..only picture I could find, and yes my nipples are pierced.

and there's also one on my ribs that I don't have a picture of at the moment..

that's the end of my massive picture post.
and for the record, yes all of my tattoo's have meaning to them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sukergod wrote:
wow, that is rather obsurd and interesting looking. I can't imagine how painfull that must have been and how to explain why you got that to anybody.

The professional-ism thing about tatoos is a cause for concern simply because in the wrong setting it gives off such a negative point of view. I am teachng in a small community in rural Newfoundland and a guy I graduated with and is teaching in a larger one but in rural Newfoundalnd is completly covered negating his neck and head. Trust me, its a cause for concern that he has to deal with everyday, trying to cover them up. Great guy, not so much of a great choice.

For me though I have wanted to get this on my leg somewhere:

Besides the fact that PF are my favorite band, and the Wall is my favorite album ever it has a personal touch to it as well so its not something i will get sick of, as I can look back at it 50 years from now when im in my mid 70's and still remember how much their music helped me though shitty times I had a few years back.

I dont think ill get that poke - whatever it is image out of my head for a while, ouch!!!!!!

I was going to get that put onto my window on my computer. I love PF, I love the Wall, and for the same identical reason, the picture is simple yet amazing in every way.

That looks fantastic TheHammer417!

I should do a half sleeve, thanks to my job and all, that's all the farther I really could get.
Davers  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:

I've seen this tat floating around the internet. Had no idea it was yours I'll never get one myself, but if for some reason I did, it would be Mario related for sure. Maybe DK too.

My brother has Led Zeppelin symbols on his right forearm which are kind of cool I guess.
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sukergod wrote:

Yeah, that's definitely important to consider. Luckily, in the town I live, there are so many "artsy" people, as well as musicians and video game designers and such, it's not unusual to see lots of interesting people every day (though I'm sure it would be hard to get a really professional job if you had lots of tattoos). However at both of my jobs in college and my internship my managers had impressive huge tattoos (one of them was a full arm tattoo that looked like the skin had been peeled off, revealing muscle and bone and looked really awesome).

TheHammer, I love your tattoos. If I was a guy, I'd want to get a really artistic and colorful looking tattoo just like that. When it's something like that or what bvicious has, I can imagine it never losing meaning for you. A part of me thinks it would be cool to be a tattoo artist but it would be funny to get a tattoo from somebody who refuses to get one themselves.

Sometimes I'm curious.. does a tattoo artist have the same authority that a bartender does to stop you before you do something stupid? I bet a lot of regrettable tattoos are gotten while drunk, and if somebody wants something REALLY bad (like, I dunno, something on their face), wouldn't it be unethical for a tattoo artist to give it to them when they're obviously not making very good judgements? I guess they'd be silly to turn away business, but I've always wondered if some tattoo artists feel guilty about some of the tattoos they've given. I just think it'll be funny in about 50 years to see how this generation feels about some of their tattoo choices. :p

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
bclare  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
Sometimes I'm curious.. does a tattoo artist have the same authority that a bartender does to stop you before you do something stupid? I bet a lot of regrettable tattoos are gotten while drunk, and if somebody wants something REALLY bad (like, I dunno, something on their face), wouldn't it be unethical for a tattoo artist to give it to them when they're obviously not making very good judgements? I guess they'd be silly to turn away business, but I've always wondered if some tattoo artists feel guilty about some of the tattoos they've given. I just think it'll be funny in about 50 years to see how this generation feels about some of their tattoo choices. :p

Well... I think a tattoo on your face is delicate enough that it shouldn't be done while the recipient is drunk, you really don't want them to be squirming or anything.
TheHammer417  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:

TheHammer, I love your tattoos. If I was a guy, I'd want to get a really artistic and colorful looking tattoo just like that. When it's something like that or what bvicious has, I can imagine it never losing meaning for you. A part of me thinks it would be cool to be a tattoo artist but it would be funny to get a tattoo from somebody who refuses to get one themselves.

Why thank you. I love colorful tattoos, I wanted lots and lots of color on my 1/2 sleeve and I think it gets the job done. I'm sooo picky about the work I get done on myself, I'm in school getting my BFA in graphic design so I think that the artist in me has something to do with it.

bclare wrote:

Well... I think a tattoo on your face is delicate enough that it shouldn't be done while the recipient is drunk, you really don't want them to be squirming or anything.

Lol I don't know of any place that will tattoo you if you're drunk...it's just a bad idea for so many reasons. One of them being, you bleed when you get tattoo'd (not gushing blood but yeah, needles poking the skin duh) and if you're drunk your blood is even thinner and that wouldn't be a smart move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: