MLB Thread: Is it March yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
googleimage  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FlimFlam wrote:
Not get in the way.

Yeah, Escobar should have just stopped in the middle of the basepath. He's not the tying run and the third baseman has no chance to get him while charging like that. He pretty much just has to wait for the throw to go to first and then continue to third.

It was directly on the base path though, isn't that the runner's space? If a base runner is forced to wait until the shortstop makes a play, he either gets caught in a run-down, or gets busted at 3rd, assuming of course the hitter is safe. Not that he needs an excuse, but with two out, he's not going to hold 2nd base in that situation - he's going to run on contact. He didn't alter his route or his speed in any way to create interference. Not to mention, the hitter was safe not because the throw was late, but because it was off the mark. Escobar was long gone by the time the throw was made.
TheHammer417  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was a sweet Sox game today, which I just so happened to have tickets to. 85 in Chicago around this time is pretty nice, perfect day for a game. Seeing Maddon get ejected and then him 'ejecting' the umpires from the game was epic, and then walking in the dugout afterwards to only come back onto the field a few seconds later haha.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheHammer417 wrote:
Was a sweet Sox game today, which I just so happened to have tickets to. 85 in Chicago around this time is pretty nice, perfect day for a game. Seeing Maddon get ejected and then him 'ejecting' the umpires from the game was epic, and then walking in the dugout afterwards to only come back onto the field a few seconds later haha.
Haha I was just about to post something about this; with the authority bestowed upon him as a manager in Major League Baseball, Maddon threw out the umpires. The Sox are looking good, although the Indians are just on a tear right now and it's sort of frustrating seeing them win so many games.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: LlamaYip Wii Friend Code: 6484459093164883
LCBetz  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LlamaYip wrote:
TheHammer417 wrote:
Haha I was just about to post something about this; with the authority bestowed upon him as a manager in Major League Baseball, Maddon threw out the umpires. The Sox are looking good, although the Indians are just on a tear right now and it's sort of frustrating seeing them win so many games.

My impression of the Indians is that they're definitely better than the last couple of seasons. Their young lineup is coming together nicely and should be capable of putting runs on the board. Their young, unproven pitching staff has done a decent job so far, but let's see how well they're holding up a few months from now. If Carmona and Masterson can remain consistent, the Indians could hang aroung for a while, but my guess is that they don't have nearly enough pitching to stay relevant down the stretch.

I am not inspired by the Twins whatsoever up to this point, so I think the White Sox will be in very good shape to win this division. The middle of the Twins rotation is as mediocre as usual, the bullpen consists of Matt Capps, a post-Tommy John Joe Nathan, and little else to speak of, and the lineup looks god-awful. Span and Kubel are the only hitters doing jack squat at the moment, and everyone else seems to be in an early season slump. They better get their act together soon, because the pitching staff isn't exactly going to carry this team.
CorpusCollosum  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCBetz wrote:
I am not inspired by the Twins whatsoever up to this point, so I think the White Sox will be in very good shape to win this division. The middle of the Twins rotation is as mediocre as usual, the bullpen consists of Matt Capps, a post-Tommy John Joe Nathan, and little else to speak of, and the lineup looks god-awful. Span and Kubel are the only hitters doing jack squat at the moment, and everyone else seems to be in an early season slump. They better get their act together soon, because the pitching staff isn't exactly going to carry this team.

I'd say our bullpen is the only thing that's holding us together thus far. Perkins seems to have fully recovered, and is now a great asset to our pen (he belongs there, rather than starting). Mijares is always reliable, too. Nathan seems to be working off the rust and jitters, but he's been getting better with each SVO. I've accepted that we can't hit for shit, but our starting pitching is unacceptably terrible. Pavano may be returning to form, but the others better follow suit, and quick. Not the way I wanted to see this year start at all.

Currently playing: Gears, Batman
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: PistonHonda22 PSN Name: SodaPopinskii
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've heard the Mets are playing sub-par. Shocking right? XD

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
FlimFlam  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

googleimage wrote:
Quote:
FlimFlam wrote:
Not get in the way.

Yeah, Escobar should have just stopped in the middle of the basepath. He's not the tying run and the third baseman has no chance to get him while charging like that. He pretty much just has to wait for the throw to go to first and then continue to third.

It was directly on the base path though, isn't that the runner's space? If a base runner is forced to wait until the shortstop makes a play, he either gets caught in a run-down, or gets busted at 3rd, assuming of course the hitter is safe. Not that he needs an excuse, but with two out, he's not going to hold 2nd base in that situation - he's going to run on contact. He didn't alter his route or his speed in any way to create interference. Not to mention, the hitter was safe not because the throw was late, but because it was off the mark. Escobar was long gone by the time the throw was made.

The fielder always takes priority, even if it is directly in the basepath and the runner does not alter his route or speed. Yes, he will be forced to wait until the shortstop makes a play to continue to third, but a charging shortstop has zero chance to get him at third in this situation. And yes, the throw was off the mark, but that was because of the interference. Escobar gets in the way of the fielder's charge. Because of that, he has to wait, pick it up without much speed, and rush the throw, the likely cause of it being off the mark. This was not a bad call.

If anyone watched the Sox/Yankees game yesterday, though, I was appalled at one of the calls. Red Sox have bases loaded, no outs. Someone hits an easy double play ball. They get the out at second, Youkilis blatantly slides into Jeter to break up the double play, but they manage to get the second out anyway. The ump calls Youk on it and sends the runners originally on second and third (one of whom was now on third and the other scored) back to their bases. Now, I have seen many times where a guy breaks up a double play and they call the batter out too because the break up slide is blatant, but I have NEVER seen other runners sent back to their bases.

I checked the rule book and found the relevant section. It states that in this event, the batter-runner shall be called out and no other runners may advance or score because of such an event. The key word, though, is because. The guy on third didn't score because Youk tried to break it up. He scored because the Yankees sacrificed a run for two outs. He was like 10 feet from the plate by the time Jeter was throwing the ball. Same for the guy running from second to third. I think this rule was terribly misused. I take it to mean that, in the case of a break up slide that causes a shortstop to throw the ball into the stands, the runners do not get that extra base, but under no circumstances should they not get the base that tey are almost certainly guaranteed. Home plate can be awarded with discretion to a runner at first on a ground rule double, why not in this case?

\m/
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlimFlam wrote:
"Breaking up the play" stuff
The rule is generally interpreted to mean that if a runner goes out of his way to take out the fielder, then the runners must go back to their original base. As long as the runner can make contact with the bag, the slide is okay (barring something blatant like putting his spikes up into the fielder). Youkilis did technically violate the rule; however, I think everyone more or less agrees that it was a bullshit call. The league may have told the umpires to start enforcing that rule a bit more given that Nishioka was just injured (though the rule did not apply there as Swisher could and did hit the bag). The Yankees got the double play there, and Jeter was jumping over Youkilis anyway. The slide was a complete non-factor. At least that stretch of the rules didn't really impact anything.

Oh yeah... and I'm a Yankee fan. I'll be heading to the Yankees/Rangers game on Sunday, and then the vast majority of Sunday home games (and a few odd games here and there).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it wrong for me to want Ichiro to move away from the dismal Mariners to a better team? He's such a great hitter, but when the entire rest of the team can't do their jobs, how are they supposed to reach over .500 at the very least?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: RLKDragon
FlimFlam  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: fuck slow internet

\m/

Last edited by FlimFlam on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
FlimFlam  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: fuck slow internet #2

\m/

Last edited by FlimFlam on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
FlimFlam  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
FlimFlam wrote:
"Breaking up the play" stuff
The rule is generally interpreted to mean that if a runner goes out of his way to take out the fielder, then the runners must go back to their original base. As long as the runner can make contact with the bag, the slide is okay (barring something blatant like putting his spikes up into the fielder). Youkilis did technically violate the rule; however, I think everyone more or less agrees that it was a bullshit call. The league may have told the umpires to start enforcing that rule a bit more given that Nishioka was just injured (though the rule did not apply there as Swisher could and did hit the bag). The Yankees got the double play there, and Jeter was jumping over Youkilis anyway. The slide was a complete non-factor. At least that stretch of the rules didn't really impact anything.

Oh yeah... and I'm a Yankee fan. I'll be heading to the Yankees/Rangers game on Sunday, and then the vast majority of Sunday home games (and a few odd games here and there).

Have you ever seen it called before though? That was probably the most baffling thing about it.

And yeah, it didn't change anything, but at the time it was tied at 0 and i was pissed.

\m/
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlimFlam wrote:
Have you ever seen it called before though? That was probably the most baffling thing about it.
I seem to remember having seen it called before, but never on something like that. It normally takes a baserunner blatantly going completely out of his way to slide into a fielder.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAH the Sox are killin me...another game that should have been won but lost due to errors...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I've heard the Mets are playing sub-par. Shocking right? XD

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 3 of 25

Jump to: