ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Music Festivals (Bonnaroo/Lollapalooza/Austin City Limits/Coachella)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Music Festivals (Bonnaroo/Lollapalooza/Austin City Limits/Co Reply with quote

Two years later, I update this thread!

So, they announced the lineup for Coachella: http://www.coachella.com/

It looks cool, but it feels like a lot of the acts were at last year's ACL. Nothing that really blows me away at first glance.

Any hidden (le) gems? Can't afford to go, but I always take festival lineups as an opportunity to get into new music. Last year's gift was Two Door Cinema Club.

1KJ08mq.jpg

Last edited by GuitarHailz on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the British festivals... I don't know if there's any that really hold any interest for me.

V Festival was good for a while but it's changed a lot since I last went, which is a shame because it's the nearest to where I live and it's always right on or a couple of days either side of my birthday. (For comparison: first time I went, the headliners were Muse and The Strokes, with Pixies as an extra highlight. Last time I went, Radiohead and Morrissey. This year it's Eminem/Rihanna and Arctic Monkeys.)
Reading/Leeds generally have the largest proportion of stuff that I'd want to see, but the crowd are generally... not the sort of people I can deal with for three straight days.
Latitude is a bit hit-and-miss - there's a lot of stuff to do that's not music (a large proportion of the list on that link there is comedians) so the musical lineup isn't so vital. I'm tempted to go this year to see EELS, Bright Eyes and a couple of others.
Offset Festival is a lot smaller than the ones above and generally has a slightly more obscure lineup, but it's pretty good. Great atmosphere too. The crowd is good, if a little full of hipsters. It expanded last year and I couldn't make it, so I dunno if the extra size has affected the atmosphere at all. The lineup linked is last year's, nothing announced for this year yet.

So, yeah: I think my festival-going days are done - I kinda got it out of my system a few years ago, and I completely hate camping - but if I go to any this year it'll be the last two.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
hiddenzombie013  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got tickets to Bonnaroo this year, which I am beyond excited about. It's my first year going (to this, or any other major music festival). Hald of my excitement is because of the experience. Me and a buddy will be making an 11-hour drive (from Florida), which will be my biggest road trip yet. I also look forward to camping, meeting new people, and checking out the other cool experiences there.

The other half of my excitement comes from the bands naturally. Surprisingly, I'm probably most excited to see Lil Wayne (favorite rapper by far), despite him being out of place at this festival. I'm also really excited for (in no particular order) Eminem, Arcade Fire, The Strokes, The Black Keys, Girl Talk, Florence and the Machine, Wiz Khalifa, Mumford and Sons, Opeth, and even old GH bands like Primus and The Sword!

I wish others I knew could afford to go to Lollapalooza as well, because that sounds fucking awesome. The headliners there are better than Bonnaroo's by a good amount. Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Muse, AND Deadmau5? YES!

The only other one you might count was the Carolina Rebellion, which had it's first show a couple weeks ago. It featured Avenged Sevenfold, Godsmack, Three Days Grace, Stone Sour, Seether, Theory of a Deadman, Bullet for my Valentine, Alter Bridge, Skillet, Hinder, and more. It was a good time except A) the food waits times were atrocious (had to wait in line through the entirety of Theory's and Seether's sets) and B) the traffic and parking setups were awful (fitting 30,000 people into a venue on a two-lane street? $30 parking? Yeah, good luck with that). The music was great too, other than Godsmack overplaying for about 15 minutes, resulting in A7X having to end with Unholy Confessions, instead of being able to also play Fiction and Save Me as scheduled. It was a good time overall though.
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Lollapalooza's lineup looks the strongest overall, though it's mostly a mixture of ACL's 2011 and 2010 Lineups. I'd kill to see Muse and the Foo's, though. Admittedly I'm a bit disappointed in myself that I didn't go last year to ACL when I had the chance, but I'm glad I get to go at all (the tickets sold out unpredictably fast, faster than ever before). Deadmau5 is playing a show on the 14th in Austin, so there was speculation he would be at the fest... no dice (he was there last year). I may go to that show as well, and I've already found a new favorite in "Chromeo." Pretty awesome! The Sword is an Austin-native band, so I was hoping for their reappearance... but ACL is good about never having bands repeat 2 years in a row. Maybe next year!

This is my first time as well, so I have no idea what to expect. I know plenty of festival veterans though, and they gave some great tips. Carry a big water bottle for use at the water refilling stations, a blanket or small folding bleacher seat to sit on in the "No Chair Zones", and toilet paper (sounds strange, but I've heard horror stories of the port-a-potties running out! I guess 70,000 people in one park will do that to you...)

I'm excited about discovering new music. You go for the bands you know and stay for the bands you don't. I can't wait. Part of the fun I bet is the road trip and the camping. For ACL I'm lucky (or unlucky) enough to live in town, but I imagine it's loads of fun to camp or get a hotel and meet some crazy folks.

Anybody have recommendations for bands in the lineup that I didn't mention that I should check out?

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that ACL lineup, I would see:

Bright Eyes
Beardyman
My Morning Jacket
Cee Lo
The Antlers
TV On The Radio
Iron & Wine
City And Colour (despite being THE WORST NAME IN THE WORLD EVER - "oh hey my first name is a city and my surname is a colour OH I JUST NAMED MY BAND")
Arcade Fire
Social Distortion
Broken Social Scene
DFA 1979
The Airborne Toxic Event
Gomez (seriously, they're still going? And playing a big festival over there? They're a sadly-forgotten relic from the late 90s/early 2000s as far as the UK is concerned. I'd love to see them over here if they're still as brilliant as they used to be.)
The Vaccines (reckon you'd enjoy them, they're sort of... eh, listen to 'If You Wanna' and judge for yourself.)

...that's about it as far as planning would go, but no doubt I'd end up seeing loads of other stuff in the unplanned moments.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Xtresso  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in another thread I'm going to Osheaga in July. It's a pretty cool lineup all around but I'm most excited to see the Mountain Goats since I missed them in Toronto in April

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to a festival called Sonisphere this year in the UK, The lineup includes -

Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrax
Diamond Head
Bad Religion
Cavalera Conspiracy
Architects
Sylosis
The Mars Volta
Gallows
Richard Cheese + Lounge At The Machine
Black Dahlia Murder
Protest The Hero
Gojira
One Minute Silence
Slipknot
Limp Bizkit
Motorhead
Mastodon
Parkway Drive
Arch Enemy
Volbeat
Sum 41
Bill Bailey
Opeth
In Flames
Cancer Bats
Anberlin
Alestorm

+Others, but above is what im most excited for.

I honestly cant wait

Npeaen wrote:
See! There is a benefit to wasting away far too much time on fake plastic guitars!

More... plastic guitars...
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I was really annoyed that they don't do day tickets for Sonisphere. Can't afford the whole weekend but I neeeeeeed to see The Mars Volta, dammit.

EDIT: just found out they're doing a ballot for day tickets now. Either way they're still £80... can't justify that with travel on top.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
b.vicious  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be going to the Rockstar Mayhem Festival, and I'll make an attempt to go to the Rockstar Uproar Festival for the second straight year.

My Youtube Channel CHECK OUT MY GUITAR COVERS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website PSN Name: bwakvicious
hiddenzombie013  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b.vicious wrote:
I'll be going to the Rockstar Mayhem Festival, and I'll make an attempt to go to the Rockstar Uproar Festival for the second straight year.

I'll be going to both of these as well. Mayhem looks pretty good this year (though 2009's was still the best by far), despite the fact that Disturbed and Godsmack being on the bill makes no sense at all. Although I do like both bands and almost all of the others, as far as the general population goes, I can't imagine that there are many who'd want to see the headliners AND also see the other artists (and vice versa).

This year's Uproar should be pretty sweet as well. I love how A7X is headlining now (they are essentially my favorite band, other than perhaps Green Day), and I didn't go last time because they weren't headlining (I knew their set was going to be pretty short).

However, pairing bands A7X and Bullet with bands like Three Days Grace and Seether makes no sense to me. Despite me liking the latter two bands as well, they're pretty much your standard modern rock bands (this is coming from someone that TDG's One-X was one of the first albums they ever loved and got into). A7X and Bullet, on the other hand, actually substantially heavier and have more complex songs. But regardless, I enjoy all the groups there, so it will be a blast.
Pick up on some DLC I missed [ ]
5* + 250-streak on Llama Pro Drums [X]
Finish all Drums/Pro Drums goals [ ]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: hiddenzombie013 PSN Name: hiddenzombie013
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be going to Uproar 2011 as well... and as far as the bands chosen, they sorta did that last year with Halestorm/Stone Sour being the less heavy/more standard rock and then A7X/Disturbed being the heavier rock/metal.

They are actually smart by doing this, because if they only choose heavy rock/metal bands they might lose out on customers who are not into that sort of thing but are into 3DG and Seether.

Me personally... I love all of them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
ganondorf901  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would kill to go to Lollapalooza this year. The fact that Deadmau5, Girl Talk, and Skrillex will be at one concert is enough to make me pay $200, but when you add in Kid Cudi, Eminem, Feed Me, Deftones, Super Mash Bros, Muse, Foo Fighters, Nas, Cee Lo Green, My Morning Jacket, and like 50 other bands I would love to see... god. Fuck living in Virginia.
SeaMoney  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to BLED Fest again this year. The line-up is the best yet. I'll be seeing:

Every Time I Die
I Am the Avalanche
O'Brother
Good Weather for Airstrikes
La Dispute
Defeater
The Chariot
The Felix Culpa
Transit
Native
Such Gold
Squid the Whale
Your Best Friend
Daytrader
Living with Lions

Can't beat a line-up like that, especially when you get your ticket for free

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I would like to at least got to Lollapalooza at least one point in my life. It just seems like an all-around amazing festival. Plus the line-up seems pretty strong every year. Coachella would be nice as well, but I think I'd have a tiny little problem with the ~100 degree (F) weather. I can barely tolerate ~80 degree (F) weather. That's what I get for living in Michigan all my life.
GarageMetal468  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to Maryland Deathfest one week from today. Coroner and Exhorder pretty much sold me on going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: