ProfileProfile Log inLog in
RIP Amy Winehouse
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silly  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinitawowi wrote:
Silly wrote:
Yeah... at first the Amy Winehouse jokes were funny, but now it seems like we're just beating a dead horse.

I can't decide whether this is a reference to the old Frankie Boyle quote ("she looks like a campaign poster for neglected horses") or not. I think it might be.

Sure was :P

I'm gonna keep telling jokes, and people are gonna keep laughing at them. Why? Because they're funny to me and they're funny to the people I tell them to. Fuck this 'too soon' shit, and fuck certain people suddenly not being fair game for comedy. No-one's demanding you to listen and laugh, of course it's going to offend some people (after all there's no comedy without controversy) but to imply that people are somehow sick and wrong because they enjoy jokes that you may not is ridiculous.

And for the record, I have had someone close to me die as a result of drug addiction. Was it upsetting? Yes. Did I have sympathy for him? No. Just like Amy Winehouse, he didn't care about his behaviour destroying his family and friends around him, never bothered to seek any help, and totally ignored all advice he was given and shunned anything the people closest to him tried to do to help. If you think a person who does that to the ones who care most about them deserves respect, "you people need to take a good look at yourselves".

DLC || Last.FM || RB Acc thread || YouTube || Steam || League of Legends
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: Loistava Wii Friend Code: 369484373961
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's best to summarize my thoughts from youhas/JosephL's posts a while back in The Rant Thread:

youhas wrote:
Silly wrote:
Anyone who takes offence to it needs to lighten up. Society is far too PC these days.

Man, I am, like, the least namby-pamby wallflowerish person I know... but anyone who is an offensive prat tends to tote out "LOL UR TOO POLITICALLY CORRECT LOL" when they're saying offensive things and want some sort of default shield to fall back on. Yes, there are always going to be tiny minorities who unduly flip out about word choices who can be safely ignored. Modulo them, "oh, you're too PC" always comes across as "I would rather be a douchebag than a member of polite society" in my book. :P

JosephL wrote:
Absolutely +1'd here. To me, I wouldn't be surprised if the term "political correctness" was first used as a negative by someone who woke up one morning and found out that they couldn't use all their favorite racial/gendered pejoratives without being bawled out.

I'm not stopping you from making jokes. But personally I would rather be funny for cleverness, originality, and perhaps something that wasn't thought up by a 12 year old. But that's just me.

Wouldn't it be nice if this thread was actually about her life or music, and not how she managed to kill herself?

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the reaction to a celebrity's death mirrors what it was in life though. I remember a lot of jokes made when Michael Jackson died, and he accomplished significantly more as an artist than Winehouse. But he was also in the news a lot more for his "other issues" the last 15-20 years of his life and the fact he was a musician was all but forgotten. Amy Winehouse put out two studio albums. The better received one, "Back in Black", doesn't crack the top 100 at RYM for its year of release. Now you can say "RYM is a bunch of hipsters who listen to Neutral Milk Hotel all day long", but Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is #5 for its year of release, so I'm not sure it's that easy to dismiss.

Maybe part of the reason everyone remembers her being in the news for drug problems is because apart from that, she didn't really do that much that would have gotten her into the news. Maybe in the end she was a fairly minor artist with a good voice who injected away whatever potential she had.
alexhaz64  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:
Maybe part of the reason everyone remembers her being in the news for drug problems is because apart from that, she didn't really do that much that would have gotten her into the news. Maybe in the end she was a fairly minor artist with a good voice who injected away whatever potential she had.

Pretty much this. I only knew one song of hers, and it was ok to me. I never got into her other work. (I know my girlfriend knows a few other songs, but I wouldn't even call her a big fan, you know?)

As far as the jokes go... of course people are telling them now, so soon after her death, because it's a current event. When have people not joked about current events, things that are in the news? It makes much more sense to make an Amy Winehouse joke after she crops up in the news rather than when she's just some drug-addled singer that hasn't had a hit in years. Sure it's offensive, but that doesn't mean it's not funny. I saw a joke in American Dad last night where Roger went into a coma from drinking rat poison. Stan said "Oh, he's doing his Heath Ledger impersonation- too soon Roger, too soon!" Was I offended by that joke? Yes, a little. Did I find it funny? Of course! And I would have found it funny had the joke been made a week after his death, too. (though I would've been a bit more offended in that case )

I think it's just a bit odd to expect people to respect her in her death when the way she lived her life deserves so little respect. While it is a tragedy, I think it's actually a good thing that people can accept that and joke about it. Even if the jokes are in bad taste, they're still funny, and don't mean that they had no respect for her as an artist. You don't see anyone joking about the Norway massacre, for comparison. Certain topics invite parody, and certain topics do not. I know that the line drawn is up to the observer, but I still don't think it's anything to get up in arms about. Idk, I'm rambling at this point.
2:59 alexhaz64: I'm like 6th place on that song
2:59 alexhaz64: pretty neat
2:59 alexhaz64: :p
2:59 JohnnyGrey: No Alex, I don't care how good your score is
2:59 JohnnyGrey: DAMMIT
2:59 alexhaz64: XD
alexhaz64 flexes
2:59 psxfreak101: too slow on the trigger there, boyo
2:59 alexhaz64: that seems to be the case all night
2:59 JohnnyGrey: I've been too slow a few times tonight
2:59 JohnnyGrey: GDSAKj hfask
2:59 psxfreak101: XD
2:59 alexhaz64: LMAO
2:59 alexhaz64: OMG
psxfreak101 actua-loling
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
I think it's best to summarize my thoughts from youhas/JosephL's posts a while back in The Rant Thread:

The funny thing is, I agree with youhas too.

GuitarHailz wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if this thread was actually about her life or music, and not how she managed to kill herself?

Maybe if that was the way people talked about her while being alive, more people would remember her for that.

blingdomepiece wrote:
Now you can say "RYM is a bunch of hipsters who listen to Neutral Milk Hotel all day long", but Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is #5 for its year of release, so I'm not sure it's that easy to dismiss.

Yes, that's because you can explain away the other half of the website that's not hipsters with "classic rock fans who pander to overrated overly famous albums". Okay, so music is all subjective, and I type that jab with a bit of a snide smirk on my face, but I'd be lying if I didn't think a few of the albums in the top 100 really don't deserve to be there. Of course, I'm in the minority in that opinion, hence why they are.

Whatever.
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:
Yes, that's because you can explain away the other half of the website that's not hipsters with "classic rock fans who pander to overrated overly famous albums". Okay, so music is all subjective, and I type that jab with a bit of a snide smirk on my face, but I'd be lying if I didn't think a few of the albums in the top 100 really don't deserve to be there. Of course, I'm in the minority in that opinion, hence why they are.

Whatever.

Sure... I mean, you could probably use any number of yardsticks to make the point. RYM is just the one I thought to check first when making that post.
WhYYZ  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiemanLK wrote:

Yes, this entire post is something I agree with entirely. This is like Michael Jackson's death all over again; before he died, "CHILD MOLESTOR, AWFUL SCUM". After he died, "Pop king music legend RIP". Winehouse is getting the exact same treatment; everyone laughed her off as being a crackhead before she died and now they're all pretending she was some soul diva. I really wonder how many people honestly liked her music BEFORE she died.

I'm not someone that will change his opinion because someone dies.
I've have all her albums. Even though there are only two.

She goes cremated today which is weird because she was Jewish and I thought Jewish people didn't cremate people....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:

I'm not stopping you from making jokes. But personally I would rather be funny for cleverness, originality, and perhaps something that wasn't thought up by a 12 year old. But that's just me.

I agree with you on a lot of points, but these two left me puzzled. With the first, you're either drifting way too close to "do things the way I like or I'll hate you for it but, like, it's totally YOUR choice, man" or trying to claim that nobody should be allowed to like offensive jokes because they are all unoriginal (something that can't be true) and something that only prepubescent kids find funny... which just isn't true. Is everyone who draws the line a little further back than you an asshole? Do you see us as all as angsty pubescent teens? Yeah, alright, a lot of us are. I know I was, and I'm aware I still sometimes behave like one. But if you can generalise these people into "angry 14-year-old boys", why not take a step further. Why not generalise them all into the even broader category of "Americans"? Or "men"? Or even "people"? Is that not offensive in its own right, and much more justifiably than any well-intentioned joke? Sorry if I've got you wrong there. I'd like to be wrong but... I... really don't think I am.

With the second, well, if you really wanted a discussion on Amy Winehouse's life and music - without touching on her death - you would have made one. I think it would have been fairly well received, although I suppose it would have turned inevitably into about eight people taking turns arguing with Eastwinn. Either way, this thread clearly isn't it.

Nobody's stopping you talking about her music, though; why don't you actually try it and see who joins in? Might be tricky, though, since you've repeatedly posted in here while still acknowledging outright that you care about neither her life nor her music. I don't think you're any better than the rest of us on this one.

Related: Winehouse might not have been huge in the USA, but I get the impression she was a lot bigger over here.
I just want to, you know, get my name out there. BTW, it updates every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Was just the first two, decided to do Saturdays as well.
Serious advice now: No-one likes indecision in their work, so find what you like that you're even remotely good at, and stick with it. Don't flit from one thing to another, because that just smacks of a large lack of determination and drive. And people don't like you for that, and won't remember you for it. I mean, I get that you have a plucky spirit and a willingness to try new things, but there's a limit, man.
I might knock it down to just Thursday and Friday.
JOE2210 wrote:
Leave me alone, I have been drinking and your made up words mean nothing to me.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Yewb
Eastwinn  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yewb wrote:
I think it would have been fairly well received, although I suppose it would have turned inevitably into about eight people taking turns arguing with Eastwinn.

I really have nothing of substance to argue about in this thread. I disagree that it was entirely her fault, as a few users have said, but I don't think that's an argument that's worth our time. There's certainly a lesson to be learned here. It's not "crack is whack" or "alcohol is the devil" or even "don't do drugs." The lesson is that addiction is relentless.
PiemanLK  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastwinn wrote:
I really have nothing of substance

Oh I get it

Substance

Amy Winehouse

Ha ha
[quote=''youhas'']EDIT TO ADD: Hey, post #3000! Neat! I will eagerly anticipate my set of ScoreHero-branded steak knives within six to eight weeks.[/quote]
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: PiemanXC
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't she a one-hit wonder? "Strawberry Wine" and I think that's her big song or something? I never followed her music since that genre is one I'm not too fond of. If there's one thing people can learn from her death though is pretty simple. "Drugs are bad m'kay."

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
GuitarHailz  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Yewb:

I may not personally be into her music and all, I guess I was just surprised less people actually made a point of talking about her music, since that was the point of keeping the thread to music discussion (right?). Otherwise I figure the General Chat thread would have remained the active one. Just an observation, really. I'm certainly just as guilty of it as anybody else (though I'd like to think my/our off-topic discussion has been a little more meaty than "LOL SHE DID DRUGS," yeah?). I'm only familiar enough with her to know that she did have a good voice.

I must have trouble verbalizing what I mean, because that last post obviously didn't cut it. I certainly don't draw the line past what I think is acceptable and call everyone behind it an asshole. Hell, I married a guy who would probably make a bunch of goofy Michael Jackson jokes or what not, and probably would joke about this too if he cared. That's not the point, a lot of my friends say asshole things that are not to my liking, but I figured it would be obvious that what I'm talking about is respect for the deceased, something even my friends, complete with their childish goofiness, can have respect for. This is one of those "this isn't my opinion, it's just the way it is" things. I probably assumed being respectful of recent death was one of those universal things people did, so chalk that one up to me being naive.

As for "do things the way I like or I'll hate you for it but, like, it's totally YOUR choice, man," I think that's a little extreme... I certainly won't hate people for not doing things the way I would do them, obviously I'd have no friends at all if that were the case But I don't think putting up with/encouraging behavior that should be unacceptable just so I don't hate anybody is the best choice either. I shouldn't have to ignore an overall lack of human decency in order to participate in society. If you really think my standards are too high as far as acceptable levels of offensiveness, you really don't know me at all (anybody who thinks this would just like to imagine I am easily offended, as it makes them feel better about continuing to be a dick).

You're right about the generalizing, though, it is something I am guilty of, although it's less malicious than you seem to imply. I usually see it as an ongoing joke with me and the internet. "Why do I hang out with these goofy 15 year old guys!?" being the common phrase, and I assumed it would be obviously a comment in jest, since if I recall, ScoreHero's average age is in the 18-25 range. Something like that. So no, I don't think you're all prepubescent angsty guys, but I'm sure some are out there. ;) Honestly it's because of ScoreHero's overall track record that I usually hold people up to a higher level of internet behavior, otherwise I wouldn't bother posting here at all, y'know?

However, even though you've got that much right, I find it difficult to believe that in a group of people who make jokes such as these, me calling them 14-year-olds and generalizing them accordingly would offend them terribly; I think they can handle it. But, if you are offended about that of all things posted in this thread, I do apologize, and hopefully the above explanation is sufficient (not sarcasm).

And yes, the post is long, but I like to reply fully to your post, because I felt it deserved a decent reply.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
Kinitawowi  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blingdomepiece wrote:

Yeah, this. Just count the number of people who are trying to induct Amy Winehouse into the 27 Club; comparing her musical merit, output and influence to Jones, Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin and Cobain. Even the most charitable assessment of her can't reach much further than "good, but not that good"... surely?

My Crapchievements Thread GOAL: The Log [Beast And The Harlot 4.7*]
"Our Father, who art in Heaven... please, stay there." - Saint Etienne, New Thing
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Kinitawowi64
TensionSpree  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are people honestly trying to justify those horrible "jokes" and trying to say being called a 14 year old (which isn't even an insult, if that's not your age, don't act that age) is comparably offensive?

Recent FCs: Man In The Box (Guitar)

Will not remove this in my signature until "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold is added to Rock Band DLC.
Started: July 31st, 2010
Still don't wanna remove it! Happy it's here, though!
blingdomepiece  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
I may not personally be into her music and all, I guess I was just surprised less people actually made a point of talking about her music, since that was the point of keeping the thread to music discussion (right?). Otherwise I figure the General Chat thread would have remained the active one.

I was just picking one at random because I didn't think we needed two. Are you saying that if the General Chat topic had been the one that remained, you would have had no problem with jokes being made??

Oh well, I guess I'm the guilty party in the end! It usually turns out that way. Carry on then. ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: