Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Lou Reed/Metallica - First song released
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTHomeslice  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Lou Reed/Metallica - First song released Reply with quote

So, you've probably heard about the new Lou Reed and Metallica album. If not, Lou Reed and Metallica played together at a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert. They it enjoyed to so much that they decided to make an album. And today they released the first full track from the album, The View. You can listen to it here. It's... weird. I really don't know how I feel about it. I guess I still have to digest it, but I think I like it more after hearing the full song. I still don't like it much. What do you folks think?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Metallica parts; I hate the Lou Reed parts. That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the project as a whole. Hopefully when the CD 'drops', it won't have been such a waste of time and I have a feeling that I'll like it overall. I'd like to hear a song where Lou isn't talking, because it's just awkward in The View.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's REALLY bad. I could possibly listen to the Metallica stuff, which is pretty standard and isn't really doing much, but Lou Reed's part sounds so completely wrong with the song. Like they just recorded the music and then Lou came in and kinda read some lyrics he wrote over it. If this is what most of the album is gonna be like, it's going to be a train wreck.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Metallica parts are kinda bland to me, and the Lou Reed parts do not fit at all.

In otherwords, a most definite pass to me.
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
Metalhead911  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
It's REALLY bad. I could possibly listen to the Metallica stuff, which is pretty standard and isn't really doing much, but Lou Reed's part sounds so completely wrong with the song. Like they just recorded the music and then Lou came in and kinda read some lyrics he wrote over it. If this is what most of the album is gonna be like, it's going to be a train wreck.

I just heard it. Hopefully, this is just a fluke and probably the worst song on the record. However, if that is not the case, it might be an even worse disaster than St. Anger, if that is even possible. That would be kind of a shame as Metallica was the first metal band I got into (bands now include the rest of the Big 4, Death, [old] Morbid Angel, Opeth, Dream Theater, and many more) and I had just recently gotten into Reed's work with The Velvet Underground.

MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know Lou Reed's work beyond his music in the movie Rock & Rule, so I can't feel too bad for his part, other than it sounds really bad with the music. I could listen to the Metallica part if it was just an instrumental, but man is their part really bland. I could definitely agree that it could be worse than St. Anger if the rest of the album is like this at all. I could listen to a song or two on St. Anger. I could not for this one if it turns out this bad lol
sukergod  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was pretty bad.........no really bad.

My problem with it is that the music just plain sucks. Listening to the vocals thats not that bad (Lou's style is quite good) its just that it really doesnt go with the music at all and they are two mutually exclusive parts. Seperate them, well the vocals are fine, the music still sucks.

After hearing this about the this I expected something. What I got was a lot less then what I wanted. Ill stay away from this!
Parama  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lasted 32 seconds.

This sounds like something a terrible cover band would put out if they tried to make music themselves. Just... augh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the comments here and thought to myself: "it can't be that bad".
Ye...
Fug  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's certainly a unique sound...

I'm sorry but that was just awful. Even the Metallica stuff sounds bad.

Accomplishment Thread - Nothing new... lol. | Youtube | S11 - GH2X Squeedlies Champion!
Deschain  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part is the comments you hover over on the bottom of the page, that's some damning feedback.
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Deschain9 PSN Name: Deschain9
FL4RE  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall repeat what I wrote on facebook;

"Had a quick listen to the new song from Metallica...Ouch. Sounds like a drunk guy rambling over awful riffing. Time to die."

Meaning it was bloody awful. And Metallica have run out of steam.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FL4RE wrote:

"Had a quick listen to the new song from Metallica...Ouch. Sounds like a drunk guy rambling over awful riffing. Time to die."

Even worse, according to the track listing on the LuLu site, there is a nearly 20-minute song as the last track on the record. My guess is that it will just be a 20 minute drunken masturbation session.

MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metalhead911 wrote:
FL4RE wrote:

Even worse, according to the track listing on the LuLu site, there is a nearly 20-minute song as the last track on the record. My guess is that it will just be a 20 minute drunken masturbation session.

Well that don't sound good. Good chance that it could be just two tracks in one song with space between them. I've always hated when they hide songs like 5 to 10 minutes into the end song, cause sometimes they are really good songs, like on the Probot album, they hid a great Jack Black sung song at the end of the King Diamond song with a bunch of no sound between them.
NavyCherub  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets better on multiple listens, it's definitely a little strange though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: