SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Lou Reed/Metallica - First song released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTHomeslice wrote:
That's the thing. Lars was a good drummer. Just check this shit. He's just gotten so much worse as time goes on. Especially when you compare him to someone like Dave Lombardo who's the same age and still fucking amazing.

I feel both him and Kirk both have lost their edge quite abit over the past decade. James I feel is still there well enough, though of course with the vocals not being as good, that can't be helped, but I think the only one with any major skill anymore in the band is Rob. He's a beast on bass, even if his stage presence is a little goofy lol

I know these guys could pull out something abit better than what they are showing on Lulu. They were on the right track with Death Magnetic I thought, this takes them a step back in my opinion. They still have the rest of the album to prove me otherwise, but I'm not holding out hope.
Cabanon  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's normal to have lost a bit of their while time goes by, but yes compared to Slayer, they totally lost alot. overall, a Metallica is not bad, its still pretty good. but if you take band member one by one and analyze it, yes it can be bad. but yeah, they're not 20-30 anymore, more like turning 50 real quick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
but I think the only one with any major skill anymore in the band is Rob. He's a beast on bass, even if his stage presence is a little goofy lol

It warms my heart to hear you say that, since so often I see fans hating on him for no good reason other than the fact that he's not Cliff or Jason. He's still a beast and highly underrated and undeserving of any hate fans have for him.

I also still love Hetfield's vocals, but I can see how it's not for everyone. IMO he's gotten better and better, and vocals usually make or break a song for me (the rest of Metallica could become terrible by comparison and if the singing was still awesome/badass I'd stick around for it :P). Just crossing fingers that the other tracks on Lulu have more Metallica and less Reed.

1KJ08mq.jpg
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: PMS Hailz PSN Name: Hailey_Ivy
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarHailz wrote:
MSH-Hitman wrote:
but I think the only one with any major skill anymore in the band is Rob. He's a beast on bass, even if his stage presence is a little goofy lol

It warms my heart to hear you say that, since so often I see fans hating on him for no good reason other than the fact that he's not Cliff or Jason. He's still a beast and highly underrated and undeserving of any hate fans have for him.

I also still love Hetfield's vocals, but I can see how it's not for everyone. IMO he's gotten better and better, and vocals usually make or break a song for me (the rest of Metallica could become terrible by comparison and if the singing was still awesome/badass I'd stick around for it :P). Just crossing fingers that the other tracks on Lulu have more Metallica and less Reed.

I would never be like that. Just seems petty to rag on someone, just because they aren't the one before them. Rob is a badass bass player and even a great guitarist. I remember that one behind the scenes video where he is doing basically all finger acoustic guitar work and WoW'ing Kirk with his skills lol You could see it when he joined the band that he knew he really had to bring it, being the third bassist in the band over their 30 year career.

And don't get me wrong, I actually have no problem with Hetfield's vocals. I think they are pretty good for what he does, he just doesn't have that range he use to back in the day cause he was he killing his vocals doing it and had to basically retrain if I remember right.

I definitely agree on that. I would like to see Metallica come to the forefront more with the rest of the songs, rather than relying on standard riffing and obnoxious cymbal bashing, all so that Lou can just read off his lyrics.
Nubnut  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, James guitar playing and Rob's bass work is still damn good live, but this riff here for this song is just plain bland.

P.S. It's worth noting that quite a few of the top Prog drummers in the world are actually older than Lars, and do things FAR faster and more technical to this day than what he was doing back in the 80's (see: Gavin Harrison, Neil Peart etc. etc.)

EDIT: I also looked him up on wikipedia to check and make sure that my statement was correct (and he is indeed 4 months younger than Gavin Harrison). And I found this description of his drumming hilarious: "Ulrich uses groove in his drum style....his style from the 1980s, in which he played more complex and fast rhythms"

Traditional bare bones skank/thrash beats counts as groove and complexity these days?
"THERE IS A DREAM I AM LIVING
THERE IS A LIFE I AM DREAMING OF"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Gavesit
BloodyFistHole  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will quickly say to anyone that asks, that this is the worst song ever created. But... I kinda like it now. It's so bad, that it's good, and everytime the song picks up and Papa Het steps in, the song becomes awesome. It's almost like the Lou Reed part was meant to be SO SHITTY that the other part would be so good by comparison.

I dunno; this song is a complete mystery to me. I can't stop referring to myself as 'the table'.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BloodyFistHole wrote:
I dunno; this song is a complete mystery to me. I can't stop referring to myself as 'the table'.

BloodyFistHole  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
BloodyFistHole wrote:

For about the last week that was my desktop. However, it was just to piss off my brother.

TerminX13  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hey, this is bad!"
-Collectively, everyone ever

Twitter | Trollbean | RateYourMusic | Hummingbird
Accomplishments:
RB (Latest: 25 or 6 to 4)
GHL (Latest: GHL FGFC)

Greatest canine ever to play the plastic guitar
B.nAUght47  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerminX13 wrote:
"Hey, this is bad!"

Yep, but the James Hetfield parts on "The View" aren't too bad, it's just the Lou Reed parts, they don't make sense, they don't fit in. I am, however glad to see a new Metallica album, thanks to all the techno shit we get these days.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: BnAUght47 Wii Friend Code: 0810038126955628
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B.nAUght47 wrote:
TerminX13 wrote:
"Hey, this is bad!"

Yep, but the James Hetfield parts on "The View" aren't too bad, it's just the Lou Reed parts, they don't make sense, they don't fit in. I am, however glad to see a new Metallica album, thanks to all the techno shit we get these days.

Except it isn't a Metallica album. It's mostly Metallica playing background to Lou's stuff. They've said this in interviews. If I have to make a choice between this and a techno album...My mind would explode, cause it wouldn't be able to choose.
jdamillio  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought Gojira's new song was horrible. What's going on now? It seems like high-tech stuff is taking over the music industry nowadays. I want to say that guitars, drums, metal music, and even rock music had their time back then, but it seems too big to actually be true. I can be totally wrong too, because I haven't researched this stuff :P. I've just noticed that a lot of people like new rap, dubstep, and stuff like Skrillex and Deadmau5 (?) now. It seems like bands are noticing it, or they're plain running out of fuel. I could just be ranting and be totally wrong about all of this haha. It's 6:17 in the morning and I should be sleeping for work.

First ever TTFAF FC with 3 Fingers, 8/19/10 - Never Forget

GH3X: 9th Place - 69/70 FCs (One)
- Youtube: joedamillio
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: joedamillio
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whats sad, is that The View might possibly be one of the better songs on the album.

http://www.metalremains.com/news/2840.html

Reed is still miserable to listen to, musically it's bad outside of like two or three songs. If Metallica had done it all, maybe this project would've been tolerable, but this really is up there as one of the worst things I've listened to in recent memory. I'd rather listen to St. Anger...ST. ANGER PEOPLE! I can tolerate a few songs on that. Lulu? Screw this atrocity. Thankfully to counterbalance the suck that week this is released, Megadeth's much better release is out lol
BloodyFistHole  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSH-Hitman wrote:
And whats sad, is that The View might possibly be one of the better songs on the album.

http://www.metalremains.com/news/2840.html

Reed is still miserable to listen to, musically it's bad outside of like two or three songs. If Metallica had done it all, maybe this project would've been tolerable, but this really is up there as one of the worst things I've listened to in recent memory. I'd rather listen to St. Anger...ST. ANGER PEOPLE! I can tolerate a few songs on that. Lulu? Screw this atrocity. Thankfully to counterbalance the suck that week this is released, Megadeth's much better release is out lol

Gonna' have to wait for the entire album before I rule it out as a complete failure (that's right, I'm pushing denial HARD), but it can never be said enough just how shitty Lou Reed is. Just listen to the preview of Pumping Blood... actually, that whole preview is kinda messy. It starts as a riff off of Death Magnetic, and then that horrible attempt at singing/talking/whateverthefuckloureeddoes. For the Metallica fan in me, I'll hold out hope as long as possible, but it's not looking good.

Also, I'm fond of The View now. Maybe it's just familiarity, but the most I listen to it, the better it becomes. It actually resembles a song now.

Thanks for the link, btw.

Edit: And Junior Dad has a riff from Unforgiven III! Y'know, I wish Metallica would re-record these songs with Hetfield doing the singing, I think it'd be pretty badass. Pumping Blood would be killer with his growl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: