ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Fighting Game tournament hype thread. (ECT4 jun9-10th)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sottle  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juicebox is legitimately a great commentator, and an even better fit with the MLG product.

I honestly thought the "Get Juicebox" was a troll this whole time until MLG.

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
daevlol  

Location: The kingdom of Performance Mode where I reside as king.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah I was on stream again this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHPKdJ8NgBA

i still suck dont worry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daevlol wrote:

So is X-Factor time solely based on HP, or what?
Personal Links: pathhero; my scores; my accomplishment thread (most recent: retired from GH, but still working on the breakdowns)
10/19/06/35/06/45/18/20/60/24/36 >> 279 (+65 for BH, +2 for DLC = 346 XG FCs overall)
#TeamOldPeople
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger PSN Name: JosephLillo
daevlol  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charecter specific, has nothing to do with health

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daevlol wrote:
oh yeah I was on stream again this week.

i still suck dont worry

I got the belt bitch AsianGlow
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
cdylan13  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daevlol wrote:
cdylan13 wrote:
http://twitpic.com/90c6qe

Wow this shit is depressing. MLG is so stupid.

everyone was at NCR, and irationally hates MLG for no real good reason. KoF is getting more popular, but is still not that popular anyway, and everyone that goes to MLG for starcraft/halo wouldn't be in that audience anyway. I think for the first event, that audience was to be expected. Bala is 6k richer and it's awesome, the matches themselves were hype, and juicebox might have gotten himself a sweet commentating deal just for loving the game.

But I mean you can hate on MLG for 0 reason if you want, that's all cool.

Nah I'm not a blind hater, I just think it was dumb to make your inaugural pitch to the FGC on the same weekend as one of the majors. They should've just held off until Anaheim or something. I'll definitely be watching KOF at either level events though.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: cdylanSH
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdylan13 wrote:

That picture was taken when there wasn't a match going on. You can even see the featured stations on the right side of the screen and no one's on them, so whoever took and tweeted this picture obviously wants to make MLG look as bad as they can. That guys even says that he's a Street Fighter player, and the differences in the sub-communities within the FGC really do differ from what I've seen. From people that played in the event, I really didn't hear a single complaint. I heard some players, some of them top players in their respective games, even call this the greatest fighting game tournament ever, even better than past EVOs. Juicebox has been giving it nothing but praise ever since the first day. Yes, their were definitely some things with the streams that should be fixed for next time, but the event itself went pretty damn well for all three games. KoF in particular was screwed over from the start because MLG couldn't release that the game was going to be at the end until fairly late, but even still some insane matches were streamed and recorded. KoF also isn't exactly the most popular fighter game to start with, but I actually really enjoyed watching it despite never having seen a tournament for it before other than as a small side tournament at larger events.

Listen to the crowd in winners' quarterfinals match between CD Jr. and Perfect Legend on Main Stage. Does that sound like two people in the crowd looking at their phone? I was recording this far behind the crowd as well, making the crowd not as loud on video (which is also why you can't really hear the commentators). Or how about CURBOLICIOUS knocking Perfect Legend out of the tournament with a babality? And that one was just on a featured station with no chairs surrounding it. The community was there. Maybe not as many as everyone would have liked, but given the circumstances, I think they did pretty well.

But hypothetically, let's say that those two people were actually the entire crowd. How is that MLG fault if no one shows up? If you want to run an event, secure all the prizes to give out, get TVs, consoles, games, a way to stream the tournament, advertise the hell out of it, etc., but no one comes, is that your fault? No, it's the community's fault. If the community is so set on not supporting MLG no matter what, then there's not really a whole lot MLG can do. MLG can't create hype, the community can. But like I said earlier, the communities for the games that were there definitely showed up. I actually don't like just lumping everyone together into one FGC because the players that were there, the MK players in particular since I hung out with and talked to them more, were insanely appreciative of MLG and had a great time at the event. I didn't hear anything there about this event being a terrible idea and that it would cause grass-roots tournaments to die out because of the money MLG has at their disposal or that the rules were stupid or that their culture is just different or that MLG is just golf claps (seriously, who thinks this?). After this event, the only people I still see making these claims are members from the Capcom fighting game communities, and even the cries from them are really fading. I would recommend actually going to an MLG and seeing what it's like before basing your opinion off of a single photo. You complain that no one showed up, but I didn't see you there either.

And finally, as for the NorCal Regionals and MLG being the same weekend, yes, it sucks when two events of any size are on the same day/weekend, never mind two events of that size, but at least they're on pretty much opposite sides of the country. It's not like people watching the streams can only pick one, just watch them both. Big events conflict all the time, especially when you have multiple games and multiple communities to work with. There are huge SC2 events going on constantly, and now there are 5 games at MLG, plus others they're working on getting, so the chances of some huge tournament/event happening somewhere in the US/world for some game is pretty good. Just look at PAX East this year. It's during Easter weekend. Yeah, it sucks, but this tells us that even larger events like PAX that happen less often still get screwed over with when they can book convention centers. But putting all this aside, I actually learned some fairly interesting over the past week. I've heard from more than one person in the FGC at MLG say that they had picked a date for the NCR but then changed it when MLG announced what the date for the first event to purposely conflict with MLG. Again, multiple people in the FGC, in addition to people working behind the scenes at MLG and other people I know very well all told me the same story. I'm not saying this is 100% true, but many of these sources in the past have proven themselves very reliable. But what's done is done I guess. All the dates have been released for months now, so there's no more of using that excuse to be pissed at MLG. I don't think the location of the Fall Championship has officially been release so I can't say where that is, but the rest of the info is below.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted that the first day. I watched that entire day, really not much happened. I understand it picked up later but that was simply my initial impression.

Also I highly doubt anyone would TRY to schedule against MLG, when you know that staple players such as Justin Wong, BALA, etc. could go to MLG instead.

There's a similar situation that just arised with Dreamhack. They announced a large scale tournament to be set in mid-June. Why are FGC players not going? It conflicts with CEO which has been set up for months.

I'm hoping Anaheim can be a huge success because 1- it doesn't seem to conflict and 2- all the best KOF players are in California.
daevlol  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdylan13 wrote:
daevlol wrote:
cdylan13 wrote:

everyone was at NCR, and irationally hates MLG for no real good reason. KoF is getting more popular, but is still not that popular anyway, and everyone that goes to MLG for starcraft/halo wouldn't be in that audience anyway. I think for the first event, that audience was to be expected. Bala is 6k richer and it's awesome, the matches themselves were hype, and juicebox might have gotten himself a sweet commentating deal just for loving the game.

But I mean you can hate on MLG for 0 reason if you want, that's all cool.

Nah I'm not a blind hater, I just think it was dumb to make your inaugural pitch to the FGC on the same weekend as one of the majors. They should've just held off until Anaheim or something. I'll definitely be watching KOF at either level events though.

As I understand it, the conflicting dates was the fault of NCR and not MLG. I might be wrong about this though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLG only announced the fighting games a few weeks before the event, NRC was in place way before that.

My biggest gripe with the MLG product is that someone, somewhere thought it would be fine to run an ad after each individual match in a set. Even if they dropped that idea pretty quickly, the fact that they tried it points to either greed (let's see if we can get away with it) or stupidity (Oh? Fighting game matches aren't as long as Starcraft matches? Who Knew?).

View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: Sottle PSN Name: Sottle Wii Friend Code: 1365547015982980
Brockbfball1563  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sottle wrote:
MLG only announced the fighting games a few weeks before the event, NRC was in place way before that.

My biggest gripe with the MLG product is that someone, somewhere thought it would be fine to run an ad after each individual match in a set. Even if they dropped that idea pretty quickly, the fact that they tried it points to either greed (let's see if we can get away with it) or stupidity (Oh? Fighting game matches aren't as long as Starcraft matches? Who Knew?).

From what I've heard, that was a mistake from the commentators of KoF, The Answer and fubarduck, who thought they were supposed to run commercials between each match rather than just between entire matches and then quickly found out that wasn't what they were supposed to do. It's probably a problem with the basic terminology. You see it as two rounds wins a match and three matches wins the set. I always assumed it was 2 rounds wins a set and three sets wins the match. Even look at the rules for the game...

"All Matches will be Best of 5 Games unless the Players have already played each other in the Event.
If Players are scheduled to play each other for a 2nd time, their Match will expand to a Best of 11, include the previous Match, and pick up where that Match left off."

If the commentators and people running the stream were told to run a commercial between all matches, and they had the same terminology understanding as you do, then that would obviously be the problem. I thought it was Round -> Set -> Match and they might have thought it was Round -> Match -> Set. If what I heard was wrong and MLG really wanted commercials between each round, then maybe that has something to do with the fact that there was a grand total of 25 entrants for KoF, which was supposed to take place all throughout Friday, so they just tried to make the day longer in any way they could. They already tried to make the games longer and give the spectators more content by making all rounds best of five rather than best of 3, which is what the strong majority of fighting game tournaments are.

Think about what few amount of people were actually watch KoF to begin with. If MLG wanted to be greedy and make more money, all they'd have to do is just run an additional commercial during a single SC match on main stage and they probably would have made more money than all of the extra commercials on the fighting game stream made combined on Friday. In any case, if your biggest gripe with MLG is something that they fixed after only an hour or so into the very first day, then I think they did okay.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that if it was a miscommunication that it would have gone on as long as it did. If that was the case, it should have lasted one set, then the error would be pointed out.

If they wanted to fill time, then they could have run less matches off stream.

And yeah, they did ok for a first effort. The biggest problem with the broadcast as an actual piece of entertainment from my perspective was that KOF was the only game there i was interested in. But as i said before, the situation with those ads just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

daevlol  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey look i was on stream again and didnt too incredibly terrible this week either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95EqjOCCAdI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really happy that they decided to make the biggest tournament in the tri-state area and in my city on the one weekend where I absolutely cannot go, because I'm stuck studying for finals only two hours away. Fantastic.

#PJSalt
daevlol  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZPLfL9Qce8&feature=plcp U: Still too nervous on stream, but I'm getting better regardless!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: