ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
How to fix a scratched GH disk (Converted into FAQ format)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left it on HSB and went to eat dinner, only to come back to a silent TV.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
Cthulhist  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works like a charm, I remember a long time ago when my Final Fantasy 9 game broke (PS1 FTW) and we toothpasted it to make it work. It really does.
Ahriman  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HellAshes wrote:
I left it on HSB and went to eat dinner, only to come back to a silent TV.

Hmmm... This brought up another theory...
Since it didn't fix it completely the first time, try again after everyhing's dry. Maybe the toothpaste will fill in the second time what it didn't fill in the first time, and fix it better

Get the Log [x]
Beat Jordan [x]
15,000,000 total [x]
20,000,000 total []
get 500th or higher in the rankings []
lol. Be the first to FC BatH [] (Hey, it's possible)

Deschain wrote:
Who are you kidding? He stopped a meteor. With the power of ROCK. It's ironic genius.
Ahriman  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate o double-post, but my original post is now in a FAQ format. This is also my first FAQ, so I would like feedback on it's quality

Get the Log [x]
Beat Jordan [x]
15,000,000 total [x]
20,000,000 total []

Deschain wrote:
Who are you kidding? He stopped a meteor. With the power of ROCK. It's ironic genius.
eachann  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Freezing - I have NO IDEA why this idea was even concieved. Maybe it has to do with the disk warping shape or something, but wouldn't that also ruin the structural integrity of the disk? Exactly. It's a nono.

This doesn't work of course, but I think I know why the idea was conceived. I'm showing my age here, but back in the day when we used floppy disks a lot (before CD burners were common or affordable) floppy disks would get bad sectors all the time. You could often overcome this by putting the floppy disk in the freezer for a few minutes. I don't know the details of how it worked but it definitely did work... you could usually use this method to get the disk to work at least long enough to copy the files to a new floppy or to your hard drive.... so I think somebody (or some people?) probably decided that if it worked for floppy disks it should work for CD's/DVD's as well. Obviously though the physical nature of the two mediums couldn't be more different so there is no way heating or cooling a CD is going to make it read over a scratch.
Ahriman  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eachann wrote:
Quote:
Freezing - I have NO IDEA why this idea was even concieved. Maybe it has to do with the disk warping shape or something, but wouldn't that also ruin the structural integrity of the disk? Exactly. It's a nono.

This doesn't work of course, but I think I know why the idea was conceived. I'm showing my age here, but back in the day when we used floppy disks a lot (before CD burners were common or affordable) floppy disks would get bad sectors all the time. You could often overcome this by putting the floppy disk in the freezer for a few minutes. I don't know the details of how it worked but it definitely did work... you could usually use this method to get the disk to work at least long enough to copy the files to a new floppy or to your hard drive.... so I think somebody (or some people?) probably decided that if it worked for floppy disks it should work for CD's/DVD's as well. Obviously though the physical nature of the two mediums couldn't be more different so there is no way heating or cooling a CD is going to make it read over a scratch.

Thanks for that. I've been wondering where this idea originated from, it just seemed kinda stupid IMO. lol

Get the Log [x]
Beat Jordan [x]
15,000,000 total [x]
20,000,000 total []

Deschain wrote:
CloudFuel  

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahriman. You're a god.

I just tried the toothpaste trick on my BADLY scratched (2 year old nephew got a hold of it) GH 2 disc... very few songs would actually play.. and the ones that did would skip... making an already difficult psychobilly.. even more so.

I used Crest's Whitening Expressions (Extreme Herbal Mint), a dish towel, running water, and a hair dryer... not all together at the same time of course.

Anyways... got some crest on my finger... smoothed it across the surface til I had the whole thing covered (we're talking hundreds of scratches here)... let it sit and harden a bit... then I had some slowly running water that I ran it under and used my finger to wipe the big chunks off... then I dabbed it with the towel... and warmed it with the hair dryer.

Just tried madhouse (one of the songs that wouldn't work) and I'm baaaaaaack! 97% - 334922... yess!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: CloudFuel PSN Name: Cloud_Fuel Wii Friend Code: 4265622918614549
Ahriman  

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudFuel wrote:
Ahriman. You're a god.

I just tried the toothpaste trick on my BADLY scratched (2 year old nephew got a hold of it) GH 2 disc... very few songs would actually play.. and the ones that did would skip... making an already difficult psychobilly.. even more so.

I used Crest's Whitening Expressions (Extreme Herbal Mint), a dish towel, running water, and a hair dryer... not all together at the same time of course.

Anyways... got some crest on my finger... smoothed it across the surface til I had the whole thing covered (we're talking hundreds of scratches here)... let it sit and harden a bit... then I had some slowly running water that I ran it under and used my finger to wipe the big chunks off... then I dabbed it with the towel... and warmed it with the hair dryer.

Just tried madhouse (one of the songs that wouldn't work) and I'm baaaaaaack! 97% - 334922... yess!

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call me a god, but thanks. I just stumbled across this while trying to fix my own disk, and decided to post it here. It interested me, so I decided I'd test other methods as well. I have a few scratched CDs, so I can try a few more methods soon. I'll post the results here

Get the Log [x]
Beat Jordan [x]
15,000,000 total [x]
20,000,000 total []

Deschain wrote:
riyunoa  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O__O

Skipping, what do you guys mean? I have a recent problem with my GH2, with certain songs it jumps, you can see the screen move. Is this caused by disk scratches?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I still had that problem with my disk after it got fixed, along with long loading times for some songs. Crazy on You, along with Hanger 18 would do it. But now I have a new disk, so I use that. It skips, meaning the fretboard stops moving, along with the characters. But you can still do everything with the controller (Including strum, breaking a streak ). But the camera still moved. Also, when the music started back up, the guitar track was out of sync. I have no ideas on fixing this problem at the moment. This FAQ tells you how to fix scratches so you can at least make the game playable again. If I discover any methods to fix this, they'll get posted here. I say try this method first, befor giving up on it

Get the Log [x]
Beat Jordan [x]
15,000,000 total [x]
20,000,000 total []

Deschain wrote:
CrimsonKing  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks a LOT!!! My disc has has been skipping all songs and I tried the toothpaste method. And it worked!!! Many thanks.
At0m1Ca15  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahriman wrote:
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to call me a god, but thanks. I just stumbled across this while trying to fix my own disk, and decided to post it here. It interested me, so I decided I'd test other methods as well. I have a few scratched CDs, so I can try a few more methods soon. I'll post the results here

lol... how do you 'stumble across' putting toothpaste on a CD exactly? XD
Phr34k  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to Hardware, and stickied. Awesome FAQ!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: SHPhr34k Wii Friend Code: 4837355543248763
Heritech  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See you have this problem because you actually take your GH2 disk out of your systems.

That is why I've never experienced any of these type of problems....

We'll until I had the red ring of death on my 360 which I think was caused by the update that came with GH2.

Very annoying.

But as far as stopping skipping with the previously mentioned methods. I do recommend the toothpaste. It has worked for me in the past.
And if your toothpaste fix ends up not working the wonderful thing is, wipe your disk clean and do it again it should work. ( I'm sure after being played for hours toothpaste will fall apart from the heat and movement )

Who ever would ( physically ) burn a disk to get a scratch out I will never understand, you stand more of a chance of ruining your disk than anything.

And also those Disk DR. fixers you can purchase are CRAP!!!

if anyone has ever used one of those and had good results please contradict me.
pennywise  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well,i tried the toothpaste,and it doesnt sem to have changed anything in the game...the same songs dont work...so what should i do to possibly fix this?

5* all setlist songs []
5* all bonus songs[]
beat TTFAF [X]
top 1000 [X]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: