ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
The DDR/ITG Scene Today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Dance Dance Revolution
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonHybrid  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: The DDR/ITG Scene Today Reply with quote

I got bored and I saw that this forum has not seen the light of day in about a year and a half, so I decided to make a topic and respond to any questions about the dance game scene as it exists today; I'm still very active in the community and know it inside and out. Not sure who would be interested in this, but I'll keep tabs on the thread.

Starting off: iamchris4life is more into ITG than Guitar Hero nowadays. He's involving himself into tournaments. He entered the usual national tournament that happens every July in Columbus and got 2nd, very surprisingly. That was the day that he passed his first 16 block song and he quadded the qualifier, a 12. However, he's known for being not so knowledgeable in stepchartmaking, but it's something we just joke around with.

Jason2890 rarely plays nowadays. I haven't heard from/about him since 2010. He's very busy with real life. He used to play poker a lot but stopped after Black Friday.

No one really cares about officials anymore. Many of them are deemed annoying and most of them are excluded from tournaments; we now view certain songs as acceptable according to the skills they test (aka "skillsets"), such as turning, footspeed, stamina, etc.

Every "freak" site has shut down. itgfreak, ddrfreak, everything. Aaroninjapan is the only site where people post anything relevant, and even then, not so often.

Tournaments still happen. But usually 4 of them a year. The ITG scene is dead, but we keep it alive via community. DDR is even worse; they only have japanese releases now (it's currently on it's X3 installment), but the japanese DDR scene is almost completely nonexistent.

The people who made ITG are now focusing on a project called ReRave; something much like stepmania except involving a touchscreen and moving circles. It's in the iOS market for all portable i-Devices.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DemonHybrid23
Squirrel  

Location: Wyano, PA (Come visit! My gameroom is always open.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to give ITG/DDR props, it lasted longer as far as main stream than Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

I can't say I didn't see this coming. Its unfortunate because I do love DDR/ITG but I am nowhere near as good as those guys. I still do enjoy it though. I have enough customs to last me a lifetime in terms of getting better/trying to complete songs. I seriously doubt I'll ever pass epileptic crisis on pad... ever. I have a backup of my Stepmania files, so when I get my house I can have a perma ddr setup, and I can start playing again. I am really excited to start playing again, I lost my perma place to play already...

There's a small core group of people that still play up in Beaver county in PA, at the Beaver Valley Mall/Tropical Fun Zone, the latter just got a true ITG2 machine in immaculate shape. They also got a Tron Legacy pinball, I've been playing that more <_<

I guess now is the time once I get my new job to pick up a second RedOctane Afterburner for cheap.
DemonHybrid  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
I have to give ITG/DDR props, it lasted longer as far as main stream than Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

I can't say I didn't see this coming. Its unfortunate because I do love DDR/ITG but I am nowhere near as good as those guys. I still do enjoy it though. I have enough customs to last me a lifetime in terms of getting better/trying to complete songs. I seriously doubt I'll ever pass epileptic crisis on pad... ever. I have a backup of my Stepmania files, so when I get my house I can have a perma ddr setup, and I can start playing again. I am really excited to start playing again, I lost my perma place to play already...

There's a small core group of people that still play up in Beaver county in PA, at the Beaver Valley Mall/Tropical Fun Zone, the latter just got a true ITG2 machine in immaculate shape. They also got a Tron Legacy pinball, I've been playing that more <_<

I guess now is the time once I get my new job to pick up a second RedOctane Afterburner for cheap.

TFZ will be no more very soon. RiOdO has confirmed that the machine is being sold sometime before May. There's still a machine at CMU, however, and a tournament coming up.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: DemonHybrid23
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DemonHybrid wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

TFZ will be no more very soon. RiOdO has confirmed that the machine is being sold sometime before May. There's still a machine at CMU, however, and a tournament coming up.

Baw... Wait... you live in that direction? Why haven't we met yet? lol.
Ral  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting to play more again lately. I've went and played some Supernova that's a minute away from my house a few times in the past few weeks. Been meaning to go play some ITG too, but I heard the place where it's at is remodeling the place so I don't know if they're open back up again. Plus it's a putt putt place so they're not opened much during the winter.

I'll probably be going to the CMU tournament in the spring, but I don't think I'll enter. I was at the TFZ tournament last May and was at the past 3 FR tournament. I go by Dairydude in the dance game community.
DemonHybrid  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel wrote:
DemonHybrid wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

I live in northeast PA. I play with Little Matt in Scranton and I hit up harrisburg now and then.
DemonHybrid  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ral wrote:
I've been wanting to play more again lately. I've went and played some Supernova that's a minute away from my house a few times in the past few weeks. Been meaning to go play some ITG too, but I heard the place where it's at is remodeling the place so I don't know if they're open back up again. Plus it's a putt putt place so they're not opened much during the winter.

I'll probably be going to the CMU tournament in the spring, but I don't think I'll enter. I was at the TFZ tournament last May and was at the past 3 FR tournament. I go by Dairydude in the dance game community.

I'll be going to CMU as well, so I'll try to find you.

I was at FR5. I got destroyed by Rynker on Eat Em Up and Rock and Roll Will Take You To The Mountain.
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DemonHybrid wrote:
Squirrel wrote:
DemonHybrid wrote:
Squirrel wrote:

I live in northeast PA. I play with Little Matt in Scranton and I hit up harrisburg now and then.

Ahhh nice! Little Matt killed it that day, I got videos of him in the finals on my youtube.

Ral, I was the one with the flip ultra hd recording the finals with the wide angle lens hot glued on it lol. Its ghetto but it works like a champ. I was hanging out with the guy that looked like Troy Palumalu.
DemonHybrid  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone who has read this thread was at the CMU tournament, I was there. I was the one that counter-picked Gravity Blast, played Pandemonium and basically ran the tournament haha

I saw a ton of people so I'm not sure if I would recognize anyone new.
Squirrel  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DemonHybrid wrote:
If anyone who has read this thread was at the CMU tournament, I was there. I was the one that counter-picked Gravity Blast, played Pandemonium and basically ran the tournament haha

I didn't go, I completely forgot about it. :/

I'm going to CMU on Thursday though to play some fighting games, I'm trying to get some Gundam battle assault 2 going.
Ral  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DemonHybrid wrote:

I wasn't there either. Had a whole bunch of changed plans that weekend. Was originally gonna go, but then Skeeter and I and a few other friends where gonna go to this game store/arcade that was closing that weekend for an all day party. They had Technika 3, Pop'n (w/ e-amuse), Drum Mania, Guitar Freaks, and IIDX there.

Ended up going to Columbus because a real good friend's mom had surgery and her mom wanted me to visit her.

I'll definitely be going to Fort Rapids though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Other Music Games -> Dance Dance Revolution All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: