ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Any possible advice for attaining ITO's strumming speed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Any possible advice for attaining ITO's strumming speed? Reply with quote

I understand that this is an obscenely difficult section. I understand that strumming speed is not something you can magically develop, like a fingering for a particularly difficult fretting section.

But I still ask for anyone's help in learning how to hit this fucking section. My best is 93%, and I have had 3x streaks but I can't recall ever reaching a 4x after a miss. I wrist altstrum, can't get the speed. I arm alstrum, can't get the speed. I open-palm vibrate strum, can ALMOST get the speed but not quite. Don't even get me started on rasgueado cause I can't fucking do that correctly any faster than 16 NPS no matter how hard I try.

So, Scorehero, how do I build up strumming speed? Am I doomed to forever play this section every day until I build up the speed? For the record, I HAVE FCed both TDWDTG's strumming sections. I have the endurance, but I just can't quite get the speed. I've tried turning the lag up, which helps a little since I don't have to focus on strumming everything early, but it doesn't help me FC the section. Is there any way I could build up strumming speed short of just working at it every day? I feel like there's some magic I'm not understanding even though I know how hard it is to build up strumming speed.

Basically... what is this, I don't even.

My Accomplishments - GH | RB || My Youtube Channel || My Customs
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
Naruto42  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kram FCd ItO and not TDWDTGs strummings.
With D-Pad.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Naruto92250 Wii Friend Code: 7287116137472646
Marbler  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Any possible advice for attaining ITO's strumming speed? Reply with quote

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
So, Scorehero, how do I build up strumming speed? Am I doomed to forever play this section every day until I build up the speed? For the record, I HAVE FCed both TDWDTG's strumming sections. I have the endurance, but I just can't quite get the speed. I've tried turning the lag up, which helps a little since I don't have to focus on strumming everything early, but it doesn't help me FC the section. Is there any way I could build up strumming speed short of just working at it every day? I feel like there's some magic I'm not understanding even though I know how hard it is to build up strumming speed.

I'm the One is a very hard song to grasp. To be honest, I played Solo 2A for 3 days straight, 2 hours a day, until I finally was able to strum fast enough. The FC of the section came as a bit of a shock to me, but to put it simply, it's just going to take time. A little tip, you will not get it in any way short of vibrate strumming. Even if you're outrageously good at that technique that strums DDUUDDUU, you still will likely not get that section because you still have to fret correctly, and you can't be focused on the strumming at all.

In order to get the strumming speed in the first place, you have to flex your arm. As hard as you possibly can. This technique you should know as vibrate strumming. However, you have to vibrate strum like you've never vibrate strummed before. Not only do you have to do that, but you have to do it while fretting perfectly, and that's what people usually don't understand. You have to have the strumming down so perfectly that it comes as second nature to you. If you can do this, you're well on your way.

The fretting is the main thing you have to focus on. You have to fret flawlessly 11.5 NPS ascending triplets. I advise to not anchor at all. If you anchor, you're likely not going to pull off at the right time, let alone 4 times in a row. The section goes
----------
It's a simple upward triplet, nothing more, but that's the main thing you have to focus on. At 23 NPS, during the fret change, you have, depending on exactly when the song started, either 2 or 3 frames to get the fret change right. That's mainly why it's so hard. You have to change frets correctly 20 times in a row.

Before getting the full song FC, I got 7 total -1s in this section, and one outro choke. My advice to you: DON'T CHOKE IN THE OUTRO!!! Practice that like a son of a bitch so you won't ever miss there. Please.

Tl;dr: It's going to take a long time before you can get the speed down. Focus on the fretting more than the strumming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Marbler
odub712  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naruto42 wrote:
Kram FCd ItO and not TDWDTGs strummings.
With D-Pad.

this is exactly what I was going going to say too. Is this an option for you?
Altruit  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing to add because I enjoy watching yksi suffer after he taunted me when I broke my wrists.

Listen to Marbler, I remember him having to work up the speed and my ears bleeding in parties.

[00:23:13] <gerg> !8 MAH DICK IS SOOOOO BIG
[00:23:13] <ChanServ> gerg: Not on your life.
UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bumping this so anyone who possibly has another piece of advice for getting the speed can just dump it here. I can do it somewhat consistently on slow, which is 19 NPS, so I believe fretting coordination won't be too much of a problem. I just can't get the speed yet. Anything that is not the D-Pad, anyone?

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
f4phantom2500  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a very interesting article:

http://strongerman.com/isometric-training-for-speed/

as for adapting isometrics to train for strumming speed in gh, the most practical thing i can think of is to practice two different holds - one holding the strum bar down, and one holding the strum bar up. get the arm, wrist, hand, and finger position as close to exact as it would be during actual strumming, and keep as much pressure on the strum bar as possible. try holding each position for sets of about 10 seconds, keeping as much relevant muscular tension as possible. i've never tried this myself and it's purely theoretical, but hey it can't hurt.

47/64/29/68/41/85/48/47/85/46/87//647
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: vVv f4phantom
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been so long since I've played GH ;_;

Actually f4 now that you mention it I have gotten some more speed/power in my arms in general from doing cleans and snatches... I might have to give ItO another try :p

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: YksiKaksiKolme
UndeadFil13QC  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking for more specific non-dpad strategies. I've heard vibrating with the side of the index works pretty well, but sometimes it's not quite enough. Does anyone have more specific ways of positioning the right hand that may potentially let you attain ItO's speed?

ULTIMATE GOAL: FC Im The One on GH: Van Halen Expert Guitar
Solo 2A FC Count: 39 (Best runs: many -1s, three outro chokes and two 100% overstrums!)

Side goals: GH Expert Vocals Full Series FC [4/8] | Rock Band Expert Bass Full Series FC [8/9] | COVID Vaccine & Booster 100% FC [4/4]

47|64|30|70|41|86|49|48|85|46|93|42 (10|65|10)
Full Series Total: 701/702 (786/787)
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Wii Friend Code: 3977978993176180
Pas26  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand position doesnt mean much. You'll be the fastest in the elbow/wrist position you'Ve used most in your life. Tuck your elbow to your side to fire your back properly. Consider finding something to jam your elbow on to not waste movement.

https://breakingmuscle.com/workouts/energy-system-optimization-with-joel-jamieson

Watch this, mostly for the 5 methods of training found in week 3 and 4.

That is:

1. Long slow work, 30-60 minute apiece (Like assassin strumming speed). Do this on your rest days.
2. Harder aerobic work.
3. Resistance interval. It would be hard for you to do this, but you could but finding elbow sleeves to create tension around your elbow, to give resistance to the strumming.

4. This is the important one. I will build your training regimen around this.

So here's your training template:

Day 1: Method 4. Maximum strumming for 4 seconds, rest for 2 minutes, repeat 20 times. ItO is 4 seconds so I am making you train for longer stuff. Once you're done, you can go for the ItO solo.

Day 2: Play assassin like 5-6 times. Dont do vibrate strumming at all. Play a few burst of 75% strumming for 10 seconds, 1 minute rest, 8 times.

Day 3. Like Day 1, exept on your last set, you go all out for 30s, rest 5 minutes, hen go all out for another 30s. Even if you slow down, do not stop until the 30s are up. Go for the ItO solo here is you want.

Day 4: Play long strumming stuff again. Again, this is mostly recovery, you shouldnt fatigue yourself much. Go for ItO solo here if you want.

Day 5: Ideally dont play GH at all. Real guitar or fretting songs if you want.

Day 6- Repeat from day 1.

I'd say that after 3-4 weeks, ItO should be easy. EAT MORE THAN USUAL BUDDY, FORCE YOURSELF TO EAT. Ideally you'd gain 2-3 pounds a month if you want to progress properly. Drink milk if you cant eat, like a liter of 3.25% a day. Also, DONT VIBRATE STRUM ON THE 2 DAYS YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO VIBRATE STRUM. Use mental imagery to visualize your FC of ItO at most. Let yourself rest. You may practice strumming at a ridiculously slow speed and concentrate on very specific motion in your arms (mostly the upward portion, which is often undertrained compared to the downward portion). Consider playing moderate tempo songs upstrum only to compensate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man maybe i should hook a game system up and play again

i said that a year ago but never bothered lol

alicetaylor  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

When I first learned English, I also found it difficult to write a complete sentence. But then, I learned to write through the style of stories, write things daily and ask teachers to help me. I found it very effective run 3
yksi-kaksi-kolme  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell yea

Blashyrkh  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Quote:
You have to change frets correctly

Best advice ever.
Vladimir777  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this FC much easier now that people have discovered rake strumming?
-5-star Expert GH1 [46/47]
-Get the Log--GH '80s [29/30]

My Accomplishments Thread--Please Visit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Guitar/Bass All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: