ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD - Thoughts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSH-Hitman  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THABEAST721 wrote:
I liked the Skate series a lot better than the Tony Hawk series. Tony Hawk was really fun until I got too good at it. It wasn't all that fun when my combos would last well over 10 minutes, which lead to no one wanting to play with me online unless I purposely just landed to end the combo. Doing glitches in the Tony Hawk games was really fun though, especially doing them on American Wasteland. Skate was really frustrating until you got good at it, then it was amazing. It's Just my opinion though.

Well your opinion is WRONG! How dare you have an opinion that goes against ours! THE ABSOLUTE BALLS YOU HAVE TO SHARE SUCH AN OUTRAGEOUS OPINION!

toymachine  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skate was good at simulating the frustration of skateboarding
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
Skate was good at simulating the frustration of skateboarding

Yup, this. I loved the Skate series, but it was my #1 cause of thrown controllers for a long time. The fact that I'm left-handed didn't help with doing the complicated movements on the right analog stick, but then I'm not entirely sure a lefty-flip option would've made much difference either. So... yeah.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Mr.Scientist  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0di6EY1p20U

Enough said. Sucks that I only have 600 points at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just got the last achievement about 15 minutes ago. Man, there's some pain in the arse stuff in there. Some of the projectives made me throw my controller, and I even had to do the "Ain't 'fraid of no ghosts" achievement 3 times before it'd even pop for me. Definitely a very satisfying set of achievements to strive for though

There are a couple things that bother me about the game, although most of it probably stems from the fact that I'm ridiculously too familiar with THPS2 anyways. First thing that comes to mind is the ridiculous hang time you get in this game, especially when maxed out. Just something that I'd need to adjust to really, but more often than not I'd completely and utterly overshoot on a lot of ramp-to-ramp transfers purely because I think I'm playing THPS2. Really annoying, it actually made the last VB transfer (the one over the Venice Ledge) such a pain in the arse to time right because of what I was used to. The other thing that bothers me is Downhill Jam's existence. Ughhhhhhh... so much hate for that sack of shit, especially for the skateboards Projective. Holy fuck, wanted to kill many things over that shit purely because of the stage itself.

Big Head Survival mode is quite amusing. Basically do tricks, and keep your head from inflating and popping, thus eliminating you from the match. As time goes on, it inflates faster and faster. Pretty neat. Dunno if that existed in previous Tony Hawks (quite frankly, this is the first one I've been able to play against others in any way shape or form, and is probably the main reason I got it asides from it being Tony Hawk), but I thought that was a cool addition.

Apparently I'm the 8th person on TA to complete it, which is neat, but whatever. Now I can concentrate on nabbing high scores, and/or probably complete Career/Projectives with everybody else. Plenty of life left in this game ^_^
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
expertwin  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psxfreak101 wrote:
Well, I just got the last achievement about 15 minutes ago. Man, there's some pain in the arse stuff in there. Some of the projectives made me throw my controller, and I even had to do the "Ain't 'fraid of no ghosts" achievement 3 times before it'd even pop for me. Definitely a very satisfying set of achievements to strive for though

There are a couple things that bother me about the game, although most of it probably stems from the fact that I'm ridiculously too familiar with THPS2 anyways. First thing that comes to mind is the ridiculous hang time you get in this game, especially when maxed out. Just something that I'd need to adjust to really, but more often than not I'd completely and utterly overshoot on a lot of ramp-to-ramp transfers purely because I think I'm playing THPS2. Really annoying, it actually made the last VB transfer (the one over the Venice Ledge) such a pain in the arse to time right because of what I was used to. The other thing that bothers me is Downhill Jam's existence. Ughhhhhhh... so much hate for that sack of shit, especially for the skateboards Projective. Holy fuck, wanted to kill many things over that shit purely because of the stage itself.

Big Head Survival mode is quite amusing. Basically do tricks, and keep your head from inflating and popping, thus eliminating you from the match. As time goes on, it inflates faster and faster. Pretty neat. Dunno if that existed in previous Tony Hawks (quite frankly, this is the first one I've been able to play against others in any way shape or form, and is probably the main reason I got it asides from it being Tony Hawk), but I thought that was a cool addition.

Apparently I'm the 8th person on TA to complete it, which is neat, but whatever. Now I can concentrate on nabbing high scores, and/or probably complete Career/Projectives with everybody else. Plenty of life left in this game ^_^

You're makin' me jealous. I have to wait to get that game.
2015/09/20 The date I became Free Bird #200

@ataeaf=My Twitter. RB Accomps. GH Accomps. Nobody reads them.
voidedalive2x wrote:
of COURSE it's doable, you ninny! Don't you cop out on me now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: WorthBestGamer
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as I suspected. I played the demo, and it looks built fantastically, and it's something I would probably enjoy...
...if I couldn't get over the fact that the 360 controller just felt so uncomfortable to me while playing it.

So now I'm not so sure if I'll purchase it. Loss of splitscreen is also pretty massive for me.
toymachine  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wall-rides are terrible and there seems to be an input lag in general. Other than that I'm loving it

I hope ATVI lets them put out a patch.
Fr0z3nD3m1s3  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to get used to not being able to get off your board. Bailed on the last staircase in the Mall and used Quick Recovery and glitched underground for the rest of my run. I was 3,000 points away from the Sick Score, too.

Anyways, I love the remake so much. I like the few songs from the THPS1 (lolGoldfinger only) and 2 soundtracks, but I am not a fan of some of the other songs put in the game. All of the level remakes look amazing, and I can never get the secret DVD on Downhill Jam, even though it's one of the easiest to get to.
expertwin  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fr0z3nD3m1s3 wrote:
Still trying to get used to not being able to get off your board. Bailed on the last staircase in the Mall and used Quick Recovery and glitched underground for the rest of my run. I was 3,000 points away from the Sick Score, too.

Anyways, I love the remake so much. I like the few songs from the THPS1 (lolGoldfinger only) and 2 soundtracks, but I am not a fan of some of the other songs put in the game. All of the level remakes look amazing, and I can never get the secret DVD on Downhill Jam, even though it's one of the easiest to get to.

I actually like the new songs. I just wish they had the filter song list option.
2015/09/20 The date I became Free Bird #200

@ataeaf=My Twitter. RB Accomps. GH Accomps. Nobody reads them.
voidedalive2x wrote:
of COURSE it's doable, you ninny! Don't you cop out on me now!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: WorthBestGamer
xX666Xx  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this through Xbox.com today. Now I just need to get on my Xbox to download it.
psxfreak101  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fr0z3nD3m1s3 wrote:
That's bothered me if purely because it only EVER seems to happen when I get off to an amazing start. At the Mall, on one particular run I managed to start with something like a 537k combo, and made my way to the atrium where I rack up lots of points until the time limit ends. Normally my line involves just grinding around the atrium, and wall riding from one side to the other to continue grinding for days. On this particular run (and a few other times), my skater's head got stuck in the wall instead of wall riding, and my beautiful start was ruined by the glory that is "respawning into a place you're not supposed to get to and bailing forever and ever until you end the run".

I've actually gotten rather frustrated at myself for how often I've ruined starts like that (and not just from the game sticking me in an impossible location, most of the time its my genuine strive to go for one more trick :p). I managed (no idea how, no special at all either, it was literally from the start of the stage all the way to that valve that leads all the way to the secret DVD) a 700k combo to start at Downhill Jam, and by the end of the run barely got to 800k. The number of times I've done that in this game now is quite frustrating and mind boggling. Fortunately though, I have managed to break 1 million on all 7 stages now. That was such a pain to pull off in Downhill Jam, especially given the above run I just described. I'll be quite content never playing it again (well, maybe asides from completing career/projectives with everybody, but still yick). And yet somehow, School II was my last stage for 1 million, despite the fact that I can easily pull 1 mill+ on it in THPS2. I don't know exactly what it is, but I appear to be struggling with getting scores I'd expect to get given my THPS2 abilities/history.

It's still fun as shit though, as the series always has been, and I might mess around with Hawkman mode on the other stages at some point too, that could be hella entertaining getting "sick score" times on the other 6 stages.
Accomplishments (Latest: GHM FCs #19-#30: Lots Of Stuff!) | My videos

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: psxfreak101
ComicBookGuru  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toymachine wrote:
wall-rides are terrible and there seems to be an input lag in general. Other than that I'm loving it

I hope ATVI lets them put out a patch.

Agreed on wall rides, there seems to be a lot of inconsistency for me. Especially on the School II bell goal, there's one bell that's sort of inbetween two walls on a connecting wall that lies at a 45 degree angle to the other walls. Below the connecting wall is a quarter pipe. I'd go up to wall ride and always end up grinding instead.

That said, fantastic game so far, although I think to really enjoy this the way I'm supposed to, I'm going to pick up THPS2X, which is apparently the definitive version of THPS1/2.
THABEAST721  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the achievements about an hour ago. This game is really fun. I agree about the wallrides; they don't seem to work as frequently as I would like them to.

I really hate Downhill Jam. That level was by far the hardest one for me. I really hope they add a revert with the DLC that will be coming out. Either way, I will definitely buy the DLC because this game was worth buying.

EDIT: I got the sick goals for all the big head race things or whatever it's called just now. I also got a new high score on Warehouse... one ranke below me is none other than psxfreak101.

EDIT 2: I just got sick on all of the levels in Hawkman too. You unlock a cool character from it. I'm not gonna spoil it for anyone, but it is awesome imo.

xX666Xx  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverts will be added as DLC but they can only be used in the THPS3 levels.
I hope spine transfers will be added if they bring out THPS4 DLC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Gaming Discussion (Non-Music Games) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: