ScoreHero
Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Noctourniquet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zman10894  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Noctourniquet Reply with quote

So the newest album from The Mars Volta came out today. I've already got my digital pre-order downloaded and I'm just waiting on my T-shirt bundle to show up now. Has anyone else heard anything from this yet?

I personally think that while it's not Deloused in the Comatorium or Frances the Mute status, it's still a real good listen. In general, this is probably one of the most experimental products they have released so far. In Absentia and The Malkin Jewel are perfect examples of that. Zed and Two Naughts, Aegis, and Molochwalker are awesome on the first listen, though. The artwork continues to grow on me every time I see it too.

Also, obligatory "I AM A LANDMINE" post

Edit: T-shirt bundle just shown up

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: MrMilksop94
thecaptainof  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, thanks for the reminder, gonna have to pick it up when I'm in town tomorrow. I've not heard anything from it yet but The Mars Volta are one of those bands where I don't really need to.

yksi-kaksi-kolme wrote:
Wow Mr. Mad, who fucked your buffalo?
Shaftedofadown  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had this album since it leaked and it's fucking amazing. while there's not that one epic as shit song (like viscera eyes on amputechture), every song flows really well from beginning to end. it's an amazing ALBUM. lapochka --> in absentia is golden and so is empty vessels --> malkin jewel. hell, every song is really great.

my only complaint is the lack of guitar solos

CAUSE I'M A LAAAAAANNDDMINE SO DON'T YOU STEP ON ME

BigFatBob wrote:
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN, SUPERMAN, THOUGH. I ain't never seen a nigga puttin' a song on his back like that before, though!
Adohu  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it since the leak as well, fell in love with it after about three listens. It's just an overall excellent album, and such a large departure from everything else they've done (as usual). I love that the album is so synth-driven, and Deantoni is a monster. I just wish Juan's bass was more upfront and I would consider this album nearly perfect.

In Absentia is the best song by far. It might be my favorite track the Volta has ever done. My other favorites are Aegis, Dyslexicon, and Vedamalady, and Noctourniquet, the song, has also grown on me a ton. Ah what am I saying, every song on the album is gold.

Ranking the albums in order for me is very difficult and I change them around a lot, but currently my order is Amp>Frances>Bedlam>Nocto>De-loused>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Octa. There is just a miniscule gap between each of the top 5, though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adohu likes the mars volta? have i ever confessed my love for you before?

BigFatBob wrote:
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN, SUPERMAN, THOUGH. I ain't never seen a nigga puttin' a song on his back like that before, though!
Adohu  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaftedofadown wrote:
adohu likes the mars volta? have i ever confessed my love for you before?

<3

My favorite band :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude they're SO good. top five favorite. i saw them twice last summer with soundgarden when they were testing out the songs on noctourniquet. if you get a chance, see them play since omar goes off on guitar live much more than he does on the album. like, the solo in molochwalker is much cooler and even the malkin jewel is heavier. it's straight amputechture when they play noctourniquet live, and i'd say it's even better than amputechture in that sense.

i still have to say frances is my favorite since it's what got me into them. but i completely agree with you that the top albums are really close to each other in terms of awesomeness

BigFatBob wrote:
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to listening to this album the other day. Needless to say, it did not disappoint. To be honest this is (technically) my first Mars Volta album, and I went into it blind to a fair degree. Overall, I loved that the more unconventional instruments (unconventional basically meaning not guitar) were used as the backbone for the songs, but sometimes it did leave them feeling somewhat hollow and empty. Some songs remedied this with drums, and quite a lot did so with the absolutely superb vocals. Having a brief history with At the Drive-In, I know how amazing Cedric's voice (and songwriting) really is. Interestingly enough, the more unconventional basis for the songs and sometimes pop sort of influence really reminded me of an of Montreal album with a lot of progressive influence. In my eyes, this is far from a bad thing.

Overall, I'd give this album a very heavy 4 out of 5. This would probably be my Album of the Year so far if Beware and Be Grateful or In Somniphobia hadn't come out.

Also, this (and some helpful assistance by a certain banner maker) will finally get me back into attempting to listen to their more popular albums and possibly even work my way through their discography at some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: