Home | Forum | Wiki
Inbox [ Login ]Inbox [ Login ]
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist
ProfileProfile Log inLog in
Metalcore fans?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Metalcore fans? Reply with quote

I know the genre is hit or miss for most people, but I'm absolutely in love with it. One band in particular I really like is The Word Alive. For some reason these guys just stand out compared to the rest of the scene which can admittedly sound all the same sometimes. Also, if you ever catch one of their live shows at Warped Tour or even a local show (tons of local metalcore bands in NJ at least), they always put on an amazing show, even if you don't like the music.

Point of the thread: Discuss metalcore.

My Drum Covers (Most recent: Muse - Stockholm Syndrome)
ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Everyone hates Nihilanth. I enjoyed making that guitar chart. D:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big fan of Converge and the entire metalcore sub-genre of mathcore. Not exactly the more recent textbook examples of the genre, but still related nonetheless. :U

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I despise mathcore, mostly because it's a misappropriation of the word math.

Some metalcore is okay, but I feel like it's not a very well-defined genre. As in, there are lot of bands described as metalcore that aren't necessarily too similar to each other. I like the genre-mixing types of metalcore; bands that can shift in one song from metal to prog to softer indie-rock to techno.
CamelTower  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i'm a fan of the genre, and i say "i guess" because metalcore is very loosely defined. I think it'd be more useful to just throw out some bands that i've been listening to.

After the Burial
August Burns Red
As I Lay Dying
Parkway Drive
The Human Abstract
All That Remains
Austrian Death Machine (LOL, seriously)

These are pretty mainstream, and whenever people ask me what type of music i listen to, I've said "metalcore", hopefully that's a correct representation of these bands. It annoys me when hip-hop listeners, etc group all songs that have any kind of screaming into "death metal". No, i don't really like my music to talk about eating babies and other creepy shit, yet people will jump on the opportunity to assume that all metalcore is like that.
NU Grad 2015
RustyWaffle  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamelTower wrote:
I guess i'm a fan of the genre, and i say "i guess" because metalcore is very loosely defined. I think it'd be more useful to just throw out some bands that i've been listening to.

After the Burial
August Burns Red
As I Lay Dying
Parkway Drive
The Human Abstract
All That Remains
Austrian Death Machine (LOL, seriously)

These are pretty mainstream, and whenever people ask me what type of music i listen to, I've said "metalcore", hopefully that's a correct representation of these bands. It annoys me when hip-hop listeners, etc group all songs that have any kind of screaming into "death metal". No, i don't really like my music to talk about eating babies and other creepy shit, yet people will jump on the opportunity to assume that all metalcore is like that.

Metalcore is really a loosely defined genre. You'll get bands from early Avenged Sevenfold and Lamb of God to bands like Attack Attack and August Burns Red. I guess you can say modern metalcore is more like a mix of clean/screaming vocals, light synth, and a ton of breakdowns. I'd say most of the bands you mentioned would lean more towards what people call deathcore now. August Burns Red and The Human Abstract are more progressive, and After the Burial is almost a mix between deathcore and djent.

ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
Bradmasta  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw A7X and Lamb of God as Metalcore and almost came in here to correct you but I saw early before it after re-reading, so instead i'll just give my opinion lol.

I think Metalcore is okay, depending on the bands. Like BFMV, I love them. Buuuuut The Devil Wears Prada...not so much. It's hit and miss for me I suppose.
CamelTower  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradmasta wrote:
BFMV

0____o what'sdat

EDIT: Bullet for my Valentine, got it. Had to look through my itunes :P

I used to be into The Devil Wears Prada. Not a bad band, but I moved on from them ages ago.

I think if i threw out words like "deathcore" to people like my parents, i think they'd think i had some kind of problem
NU Grad 2015
BeachBum187  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamelTower wrote:

After the Burial
August Burns Red
As I Lay Dying
All That Remains

These are the only four bands in here that I know. Coincidence that they all start with the letter "A" I guess.

Along with what GregoryZero said, I like Converge's song "Dark Horse" <--The only one I know for that matter. Guess I should bring up youtube and do more searching.

Any bands from this genre / sub-genres any of you would recommend? I'm fairly new to this new type of music, but for the most part I like what I've heard. Putting heavy emphasis On A7x's very first album "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet". If it helps, Trivium is probably my favorite band that I've listened to so far in this genre, I've liked their music before I started to broaden my music range. I apologize if I offend anyone if this isn't what you consider Metalcore, but I'm very open minded to new things and knowledge.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CamelTower wrote:

After the Burial
August Burns Red
As I Lay Dying
All That Remains

These are the only four bands in here that I know. Coincidence that they all start with the letter "A" I guess.

Along with what GregoryZero said, I like Converge's song "Dark Horse" <--The only one I know for that matter. Guess I should bring up youtube and do more searching.

Any bands from this genre / sub-genres any of you would recommend? I'm fairly new to this new type of music, but for the most part I like what I've heard. Putting heavy emphasis On A7x's very first album "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet". If it helps, Trivium is probably my favorite band that I've listened to so far in this genre, I've liked their music before I started to broaden my music range. I apologize if I offend anyone if this isn't what you consider Metalcore, but I'm very open minded to new things and knowledge.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeachBum187 wrote:
CamelTower wrote:

After the Burial
August Burns Red
As I Lay Dying
All That Remains

Again, metalcore is very objective, so TECHNICALLY people would consider them metalcore at times, but as for myself I'd consider them a mix between metalcore and alternative metal. If you like them you'd probably like Heaven Shall Burn, Outworld, Shadow's Fall, Darkest Hour, and Revocation.

As for more modern and what metalcore is known as mainstream-ly now, try out Serianna, Miss May I, and A Plea For Purging (Kinda like djent-y metalcore). I wrote a description on metalcore a couple months back in a thread I started about subgenres:

Metalcore:
Generally, metalcore consists of tons of breakdowns and 808 bass drops. For those who don't know, an 808 bass drop is when a band either uses a sampling pad or a studio mixer to add in an extremely low frequency sound. Depending on your sound system or equalizer settings, some may be able to hear them better than others. This is also why subwoofers come in handy; to shake the living shit out of anything within a mile's radius. These normally go at the beginning of a breakdown. Anyway, back to metalcore. A lot of metalcore bands use "chugging" riffs and are in dropped guitar tunings (drop C, most frequently). They also include singers who are able to both scream, and sing clean.

ShadoWolf wrote:
HellAshes wrote:
GregoryZero  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:

Sounds like a pretty great reason to hate a genre. Also, you could fit most, if not all, mathcore band into different genres without much difficulty. Just sayin'.

Bradmasta wrote:
Buuuuut The Devil Wears Prada...not so much. It's hit and miss for me I suppose.

I've always been under the impression that if they got rid of their clean vocalist they would be a more listenable of a band.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
Bradmasta wrote:
Buuuuut The Devil Wears Prada...not so much. It's hit and miss for me I suppose.

I've always been under the impression that if they got rid of their clean vocalist they would be a more listenable of a band.

Ehhhh, not really. They've dialed back on the clean singing on their more recent stuff and it's a lot better then their older stuff. He's a fine, if slightly generic, singer that works better sparingly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTHomeslice wrote:
GregoryZero wrote:
Bradmasta wrote:

Ehhhh, not really. They've dialed back on the clean singing on their more recent stuff and it's a lot better then their older stuff. He's a fine, if slightly generic, singer that works better sparingly.

I can't stand the vocals of that band, clean or not. The instrumentation however is pretty sweet. I'm extremely picky about vocals though lol.
bclare  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregoryZero wrote:
bclare wrote:

Sounds like a pretty great reason to hate a genre. Also, you could fit most, if not all, mathcore band into different genres without much difficulty. Just sayin'.

Bradmasta wrote:

I actually sorta like TDWP, they're one of the metalcore bands I'm okay with.

Anyway I don't really hate mathcore bands so much as I hate that people call those bands "mathcore". Some of the bands that get that label are alright by me.
HellAshes  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Number Twelve Looks Like You

Falls more in the mathcore than metalcore, but then again, who gives a shit about where bands fall in genres?

I've been listening to #12 for a very long time, and their last album (Worse than Alone) is a bit softer than all their other stuff if it gets too crazy for you.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Music Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: